Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Need Help with 2 sentences

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner phmoura's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Help with 2 sentences

Hello i'm new here and i need help with 2 different mangas.

The first one is Kunisaki Izumo no Jijou.
    The translation for chapter 45 is almost done, but there's a specific part that i can't understand

it's the red circle. I've no idea what it is. if it's too small to read, tell me and i'll try to enhance the image.
    Spoiler show

The other part is from Sengoku Strays chapter 15. It's already translated in English, but i'm translating to Portuguese, and i'm not sure if the English translation is correct, because it was done from Cantonese or Chinese. So i seek help.

Context: It's the Sengoku Era. Oda Nobunaga's castle was invaded by enemy forces while Nobunaga himself was out fight with his army. In the castle was Nouhime-sama, Oda's wife, and a few of the main characters. They decided to flee to Mino, Nouhime' province. But the enemy went after them and they were saved by Nouhime's father, Saitou Dousan. After that, Nouhime was pleading her father to help Nobunaga. And that's were this sentence is.

Spoiler show

I don't know if it's okay to put 2 complete separated questions on the same thread, but i didn't want to create more thread for such small question. If it's not okay, tell me and i'll correct everything.
    Last edited by phmoura; June 27, 2013 at 02:26 PM.

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Help with 2 sentences

此度の戦。。。織田の城の者は斬られてもおかしくない私の身を生かし.
    the English version is
    In this conflict... Your daughter should have remained in the city to be executed by Oda's men. But not only did they spare me, they've done all this...

Well... based on the Japanese sentence, it didn't mention about "Your daughter should have remained in the city to be executed by Oda's men."

織田の城の者は斬られてもおかしくない私の身を生かし. = "They've done all this for me (I suppose letting her live, give her food? not sure without more content), even though I could be killed. (Literally) Well "but not only did they spare me" works as well.
    Last edited by 0xymoron; June 27, 2013 at 06:08 AM.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner phmoura's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks. That makes more sense.
    i'll put a little more context.

Nouhime was send from Mino to be Nobunaga' wife, and this way secure an alliance. But the heir of Dousan, Nouhime' brother, Yoshitatsu wanted her killed.
    "They've done all this for me" would be something like Oda' men "treating her like one of their own" or something like that. And that's why the English version didn't make sense. because why would she be "executed by Oda's men."?

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member cmertb's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The first one looks like がめついやろうだな! to me. がめつい normally means greedy, but in this context I think it's more like "scheming" (in order to get some kind of a benefit).

So it's like "What a scheming bastard!"
    我は怠惰そのものである。

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply