Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Whitebeard isn't that strong

  1. #1
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GomuGomu_Getsuga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Whitebeard isn't that strong

    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_p...58/c567/7.html

    After going back and reading the war arc I realized something...Whitebeard wasn't that strong. We overhype Whitebeard to be miles ahead of everyone in OP when he was probably weaker than the Admirals and the rest of the Yonkou.

    First we see Edward going toe to toe with Aokiji. Notice that Aokiji actually gets the upper hand until Jozu helps WB. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_p...58/c567/8.html

    Next we have Edward's encounter with the Red dog. We see Edward gearing up a mighty swing and Sakazuki stopping it with his foot. HIS FOOT! They then have a short scuffle in which neither of the two gain the upper hand. Somehow, through Sakazuki's words, I feel he would win a fair fight.
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_p...8/c567/16.html


    I'm not saying Edward isn't strong, that would be a filthy lie. I'm just saying the Edward in this time was weaker than the Admirals. The only advantages Edward or Saka had were when the other was distracted. I realize that Edward had a freaking HOLE in his chest but just because he can take blows doesn't mean he is the strongest. Luffy was poisoned to the point of death and fought at full power. The only real reason Edward was so strong was because of his fruit. He got hit by any and every attack thrown at him. I do think if he were in his prime, he would be on par, if not stronger than the Admirals and other Yonkou.
    Last edited by GomuGomu_Getsuga; June 27, 2013 at 06:56 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vigrid
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,416
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    By the time of the war WB was sick and apparently getting sicker. This was mentioned by several people. The man had IVs in his body when we first saw him so his body was obviously failing him long before the war. Like Luffy and his poison, I'm pretty sure WB was running on 100% willpower during that entire war. Unlike Luffy however, WB was old and can't possibly bounce back like our hero does. The fact that he fought with a hole in his chest, many gun and cannon wounds, blades in his chest, and half of his freaking head missing, says a lot about his power even with deteriorated health.

  3. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  4. #3
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    Whitebeard was stronger than any other single character shown in the Marineford Battle until he died. We don't know if Kuzan's attack would have had any effect on Whitebeard as it simply did not connect nor can we say that Whitebeard attacked Sakazuki with all his might in chapter 567. And at that time he had to hold himself back out of the necessarity to reduce risk of hitting Ace by accident who would not have been able to turn into flames due to the Kairoseki handcuffs.

    Otherwise that would have easily happened after two hits: http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_p...58/c575/6.html - Akainu is down, while the Headquarters crumble

  5. #4
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner bskbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    32
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    It's not even debatable! The author labeled him "the strongest man in the world" and of story! What's next Mihawk is not the strongest Swordman because he couldn't beat buggy....

  6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  7. #5
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GomuGomu_Getsuga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    Physically Edward was the strongest man in the world, but there is a lot more to fighting than just strength. Edward defeatd Sakazuki in two blows but in a fair fight that wouldn't happen as we saw they were equals. If Mihawk was able to attack Edward from behind and stab his heart would you give him credit? That would only be one strike. We don't know if Edward was going all out, but we also don't know if Sakazuki was either so we have no choice but to assume them equals at the very least. We also have Saka saying that if Edward kept up his pace there would be nothing left of MF so he wasn't taking it too easy. Also he is in different positions from when he fought Sakazuki the first and second time. At his old age I don't think he could fight Sakazuki for days on end.

    Its also true that we don't know if Kuzan's attack would have done anything but we also can't say it wouldn't have killed him either. The blades might have frozen his insides or something. What I did see was Jozu needing to come to the aid of his old father. Remember, I think if Edward was younger he would be their equals, but an old Edward wasn't that powerful.

    Also...Mihawk did defeat Buggy.
    Last edited by GomuGomu_Getsuga; June 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM.

  8. #6
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    He's obviously the strongest. Akainu was distracted only at the first hit. He was well focused on WB after that, but still got roflstomped. WB was able to one-shot a Shichibukai level pirate when he was asleep, something we will probably never see from now on. The fact that he was able to easily take down BB - a current Yonkou - while being old, sick, burned from the inside, with two holes in his chest, and many thousands other wounds is enough to show his superiority to any other character.

    Besides, the title "Strongest Man in the World" isn't about physical strength alone.
    Last edited by KingOfNight; June 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM.

  9. #7
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner The Black Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Country
    Israel
    Age
    16
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    I think he was stronger than the admirals when he was . but he was sick and his shape wasn't too good either so he couldn't beat then at the war.

  10. #8
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Milan
    Country
    Italy
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    WB was without a doubt the strongest character in OP, but unfortunately the aging had the better of him.
    And anyway Sakazuki almost died because of the damages he received from WB.

  11. #9
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vigrid
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,416
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    I'm not saying Edward isn't strong, that would be a filthy lie. I'm just saying the Edward in this time was weaker than the Admirals. The only advantages Edward or Saka had were when the other was distracted.
    So you say Edward at the time was weaker than the admirals, but then later, you admit that Sakazuki himself could only get a hit in on Edward until he keeled over from sickness? That would mean that they were equal for the most part, which is impressive since WB was on death's door during his rampage towards Ace.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    The only real reason Edward was so strong was because of his fruit. He got hit by any and every attack thrown at him. I do think if he were in his prime, he would be on par, if not stronger than the Admirals and other Yonkou.
    The same could be said about most of the strong characters in this series, so that first sentence shouldn't even be a thing. He kept getting hit because his health was deteriorating , which is what I linked earlier. He was already on par with the Admirals and Shanks when he was sick.

  12. #10
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Towson
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    27,367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    Wait, wat?! Oda was very clear about Whitebeard's position, his strength has never been a matter of debate. Fantasy fight scenario's are completely irrelevant, and should be saved for Davey Back fight. Oda made it very clear that Whitebeard would not be defeated in a one on one fight, that defeating him required a full scale war. An army of Marines and Shichibukai was needed, led by all three Admiral and the Fleet Admiral. Even that was not enough, despite his injuries Whitebeard fought the Marine and their allies to a draw prior to the Blackbeard Pirate's intervention. Even then it took an amazing amount of effort to kill an already grievously injured Newgate.

    If Kuzan, or Sakazuki, would have been enough to defeat Whitebeard one on one, why waste everyone's time with an entire war? The entire premise behind the war breaks down if the Admirals alone were strong enough to defeat him. And if they could have defeated him, why didn't they?

  13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  14. #11
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GomuGomu_Getsuga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    Sakazuki did only take one dirty blow from Edward but like I said, physically Edward is the strongest. You wouldn't want to be hit by him even once. If Sakazuki attacked Edward from behind and ripped off an arm or leg then he would have slaughtered Edward as well in a head up fight. Edward pretty much defeated Sakazuki with that first attack.

    When exactly was Edward the strongest in One Piece? When he was weaker than Roger or when he was equals to the other Yonkou.

    I highly doubt Ace was shichibukai level at that point. Wasn't he like 15? Even so, Edward couldn't take out Sakazuki or Kuzan if a fair fight so Ace doesn't really matter.

    The war was needed because Edward wasn't fight all the marines on his own. He had a very powerful crew along with very powerful allies to help. When we do see Edward fight the admirals one on one, we see what Oda wants us to. He made them equals and even gave the admirals the advantage. Edward at his old age couldn't last a fair fight against an Admiral.
    Last edited by GomuGomu_Getsuga; June 27, 2013 at 02:19 PM.

  15. #12
    Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_p...58/c567/7.html

    After going back and reading the war arc I realized something...Whitebeard wasn't that strong. We overhype Whitebeard to be miles ahead of everyone in OP when he was probably weaker than the Admirals and the rest of the Yonkou.

    First we see Edward going toe to toe with Aokiji. Notice that Aokiji actually gets the upper hand until Jozu helps WB. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_p...58/c567/8.html

    Next we have Edward's encounter with the Red dog. We see Edward gearing up a mighty swing and Sakazuki stopping it with his foot. HIS FOOT! They then have a short scuffle in which neither of the two gain the upper hand. Somehow, through Sakazuki's words, I feel he would win a fair fight.
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_p...8/c567/16.html


    I'm not saying Edward isn't strong, that would be a filthy lie. I'm just saying the Edward in this time was weaker than the Admirals. The only advantages Edward or Saka had were when the other was distracted. I realize that Edward had a freaking HOLE in his chest but just because he can take blows doesn't mean he is the strongest. Luffy was poisoned to the point of death and fought at full power. The only real reason Edward was so strong was because of his fruit. He got hit by any and every attack thrown at him. I do think if he were in his prime, he would be on par, if not stronger than the Admirals and other Yonkou.
    Well this is absolue troll.


    So, the guy who is said by the strongest man in the navy to have "The power to destroy the world" isn't that strong? k

    1. He fights aokiji for a good 30 seconds at most, an exchange of 2 blows as well, theres multiple instances shown in the war where Whitebeard is attacked and could do something but lets his Commanders do it for him, thats the king.

    2. After ace dies Whitebeard utterly destroys Akainu in a matter for 4-5 exchanges of attacks, so much so that instead of recovering and attacking whitebeard, akainu stays away from him the rest of the entire war and even makes an extremely long tunnel to go through the ground staying completely away from whitebeard after he beats him in such a quick manor, no matter what Akainu did to whtiebeard It barely even phased him, whether it be 2 holes in his chest or burns.

    3. If the admirals were stronger why would it take not one not two but ALL THREE admirals just to stop whitebeards attack on the execution stand.

    4. Luffy was poisoned to death and fought at full power. Wut? First of all this statement doesn't make sense since he didn't die. Also when he was actually poisoned he could barely even land a punch and that's what you refer to as full power? what manga are you reading? The only time he fought at full power was 20 hours after being poisoned, healed of poison, even then he couldn't stand, so he recieved adrenaline just to postpone to fatique 24 hours.

    5. If you're gonna take the time to make remarks like, "HE was only strong because of his Devil Fruit" Then you might as well say "Akainu only did anything because he was magma he has no strength" Same goes for all admirals they must have no real strength right?

    6. Whitebeard did all of his fights mortally wounded with a sword through the chest, as i continue i wonder if you even have eyes/

    7. Go find someone who is stabbed 267 times, is shot 562 times, hit by 46 cannonballs, then despite this fighting all 3 admirals multiple occasions, then dies standing up, and tell them they aren't the strongest.

    8. Reread again and leaved such half baked ideas in the oven longer.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    Sakazuki did only take one dirty blow from Edward but like I said, physically Edward is the strongest. You wouldn't want to be hit by him even once. If Sakazuki attacked Edward from behind and ripped off an arm or leg then he would have slaughtered Edward as well in a head up fight. Edward pretty much defeated Sakazuki with that first attack.

    When exactly was Edward the strongest in One Piece? When he was weaker than Roger or when he was equals to the other Yonkou.

    I highly doubt Ace was shichibukai level at that point. Wasn't he like 15? Even so, Edward couldn't take out Sakazuki or Kuzan if a fair fight so Ace doesn't really matter.

    The war was needed because Edward wasn't fight all the marines on his own. He had a very powerful crew along with very powerful allies to help. When we do see Edward fight the admirals one on one, we see what Oda wants us to. He made them equals and even gave the admirals the advantage. Edward at his old age couldn't last a fair fight against an Admiral.

    You have such a small base of OP knowledge you shouldn't be making topics, Ace set sail at 17 and was offered Shichibukai position whether you doubt it or not.

    Check out the underlined, you shouldn't contradict your entire argument and the name of the topic in your 2nd post.

    this thread will prob get trashed tho

    p.s. theres no dirty blows when it comes to observation haki unless you're weak.
    Last edited by Greasybuttsex; June 29, 2013 at 12:21 AM.

  16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  17. #13
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    Quote Originally Posted by bromains View Post
    You have such a small base of OP knowledge you shouldn't be making topics, Ace set sail at 17 and was offered Shichibukai position whether you doubt it or not.
    Apparently the Shichibukai are given the position based on their potential, before they became a real threat to the world.

    Example of this is Hancock, who was offered the position after she got her bounty of 80 million. On the other hand, Crocodile made it to level 6 of Impel Down which not even 300 million is enough to put you in, and Jinbei bounty raised to more than 400 million after he left the Shichibukai. This is evidence that the Shichibukai are more dangerous now than before.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

    did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

  18. #14
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GomuGomu_Getsuga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    Quote Originally Posted by bromains View Post
    Well this is absolue troll.


    So, the guy who is said by the strongest man in the navy to have "The power to destroy the world" isn't that strong? k

    1. He fights aokiji for a good 30 seconds at most, an exchange of 2 blows as well, theres multiple instances shown in the war where Whitebeard is attacked and could do something but lets his Commanders do it for him, thats the king.

    2. After ace dies Whitebeard utterly destroys Akainu in a matter for 4-5 exchanges of attacks, so much so that instead of recovering and attacking whitebeard, akainu stays away from him the rest of the entire war and even makes an extremely long tunnel to go through the ground staying completely away from whitebeard after he beats him in such a quick manor, no matter what Akainu did to whtiebeard It barely even phased him, whether it be 2 holes in his chest or burns.

    3. If the admirals were stronger why would it take not one not two but ALL THREE admirals just to stop whitebeards attack on the execution stand.

    4. Luffy was poisoned to death and fought at full power. Wut? First of all this statement doesn't make sense since he didn't die. Also when he was actually poisoned he could barely even land a punch and that's what you refer to as full power? what manga are you reading? The only time he fought at full power was 20 hours after being poisoned, healed of poison, even then he couldn't stand, so he recieved adrenaline just to postpone to fatique 24 hours.

    5. If you're gonna take the time to make remarks like, "HE was only strong because of his Devil Fruit" Then you might as well say "Akainu only did anything because he was magma he has no strength" Same goes for all admirals they must have no real strength right?

    6. Whitebeard did all of his fights mortally wounded with a sword through the chest, as i continue i wonder if you even have eyes/

    7. Go find someone who is stabbed 267 times, is shot 562 times, hit by 46 cannonballs, then despite this fighting all 3 admirals multiple occasions, then dies standing up, and tell them they aren't the strongest.

    8. Reread again and leaved such half baked ideas in the oven longer.




    You have such a small base of OP knowledge you shouldn't be making topics, Ace set sail at 17 and was offered Shichibukai position whether you doubt it or not.

    Check out the underlined, you shouldn't contradict your entire argument and the name of the topic in your 2nd post.

    this thread will prob get trashed tho

    p.s. theres no dirty blows when it comes to observation haki unless you're weak.
    1. Edward onlyn destroyed Sakazuki because it was a sneak attack. I already explained this. If Mihawk or Zoro stab Edward in the heart from behind and kills him, would that make them stronger?

    2. Stop talking as if the admirals all fought Edward at the same time. There were pirate captains on par with Shichibukai on Edwards team along with Marco and Jozu so what exactly are you talking about? If the admirals would have teamed up against Edward alone he would be dust.

    3. You obviously didn't take the time to comprehend anything I wrote. I said Luffy was poisoned to the "point" of death. He then presumed to use gear second multiple times against the likes of Smoker and Mihawk. Oh, and he took out a giant in one punch so I'd say he was at full strength.

    4. Dude, read what you just said. How can you consider someone that gets stabbed and shot so many times in one battle the strongest. That didn't happen to Sakazuki and I can't see it happening to Shanks if he were in Edwards place. Just because he can tank doesn't mean he is the strongest. I've already explained this in posts above if you took the time to read.

    5. Yes Sakazuki relies on his powers greatly as do most characters with strong devil fruits but the case is even more so with Edward. I blame it on his old age but all that ties into his overall strength which is why I don't think he would win a one on one with an admiral.

    6. I did forget Ace departed at 17. But lets be honest, at that point he was a chump. Even Buggy and Croc were Shichibukai. I also prove that this doesn't matter because Edward could do an Admiral like he did Ace.

    7. I'm not forcing you to agree with my statements and opinion, I thought Edward was overhyped and decided to voice my thoughts on it. In no way shape or form is this a troll when I state facts that none have yet to disprove because...its directly from what is in the manga. I'm not saying Edward wasn't one of the strongest, just that he wasn't THAT strong otherwise he wouldn't be dead. Even Vivi could destroy MF with Edward's power.

    P.S. If only weak people get attacked from behind despite observation haki, then why did Edward get stabbed...FROM THE FRONT!
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_p...7/c562/15.html
    Last edited by GomuGomu_Getsuga; June 29, 2013 at 02:14 AM.

  19. #15
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member winterwyrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Posts
    538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    Whitebeard was 72 years old... http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Edward_Newgate That's really really old.
    He was sick and dying, to the point where his doctor said he would die if he took out his medical equipment, and on top of his sickness, he was suffering from a ton of old wounds accumulated from a hard warrior's life, in addition to that he was backstabbed with a huge sword that probably wiped out one of his lungs and caused massive internal bleeding. Even still, he might have won against akainu and turned the tide of the war if he hadn't hesitated a second due to his wounds.

    I firmly believe that if whitebeard had attacked marineford during the strawhats' attack on enies lobby, while aokiji was away, and while ace was in his team, especially if he had attacked earlier when teach and thatch were in his crew, and was able to catch them by surprise and not get backstabbed; he would have probably destroyed the marines utterly, rewind 20 years and it might have been a joke for shirohige.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts