Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 506 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Whitebeard isn't that strong

  1. #16
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Venice
    Country
    Italy
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    Don't joke ,wb was the strongest character,though aging affected him in the middle of the war. Yet,he owned sakazuki and a lot of other characters,such as BB. But I can agree with you that oda didn't deal with the war properly,that was quite shameful...all the heavy ones were fighting fodders instead of facing each other. But wb being the strongest is a matter of fact.

  2. #17
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    1. Edward onlyn destroyed Sakazuki because it was a sneak attack. I already explained this. If Mihawk or Zoro stab Edward in the heart from behind and kills him, would that make them stronger?
    You cannot brush this of by saying "sneak attack". Sakazuki took a part of his head and had time to fight back before taking a second hit. On the other hand, Sakazuki attacked Edward in a moment of weakness while spitting blood and being down on his knees. That didn't actually harm Edward's body, did it?

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    2. Stop talking as if the admirals all fought Edward at the same time. There were pirate captains on par with Shichibukai on Edwards team along with Marco and Jozu so what exactly are you talking about? If the admirals would have teamed up against Edward alone he would be dust.
    You have nothing to base that on. And even if you were right: If it took all three admirals at once to take Whitebeard down, Whitebeard would still be extremely strong and would be by far the strongest being in One Piece. Thank you to make our point.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    3. You obviously didn't take the time to comprehend anything I wrote. I said Luffy was poisoned to the "point" of death. He then presumed to use gear second multiple times against the likes of Smoker and Mihawk. Oh, and he took out a giant in one punch so I'd say he was at full strength.
    Luffy wasn't poisoned to the point of death in Marineford. He got over that in Impel Down already and still was under the influence of the Tension Hormones which kept him awake.

    What's the point in talking about Luffy anyways?

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    4. Dude, read what you just said. How can you consider someone that gets stabbed and shot so many times in one battle the strongest. That didn't happen to Sakazuki and I can't see it happening to Shanks if he were in Edwards place. Just because he can tank doesn't mean he is the strongest. I've already explained this in posts above if you took the time to read.
    He was the strongest because he got back on his feet and continued fighting without any larger break - because endurance is a part of one's strength. Even after being attacked several times by Admirals.

    Oh boy, he even died standing. How can you call pulling that not be the strongest.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    5. Yes Sakazuki relies on his powers greatly as do most characters with strong devil fruits but the case is even more so with Edward. I blame it on his old age but all that ties into his overall strength which is why I don't think he would win a one on one with an admiral.
    Whitebeard disprove you surviving any of the admirals' attack.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    6. I did forget Ace departed at 17. But lets be honest, at that point he was a chump. Even Buggy and Croc were Shichibukai. I also prove that this doesn't matter because Edward could do an Admiral like he did Ace.
    You made the error yourself talking about Shichibukai level where there was none to begin with. Is Shichibukai level now strong because of Kuma, Hancock and Doflamingo or actually weak because of Buggy, Crocodile (who did well against Doflamingo btw) and "chumpy" Ace who was 17 and had already the Mera Mera ability on invitation?

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    7. I'm not forcing you to agree with my statements and opinion, I thought Edward was overhyped and decided to voice my thoughts on it.
    No, you said "Whitebeard isn't that strong" which doesn't make actually any sense if you really read the manga and take its facts into consideration.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    In no way shape or form is this a troll when I state facts that none have yet to disprove because...its directly from what is in the manga. I'm not saying Edward wasn't one of the strongest, just that he wasn't THAT strong otherwise he wouldn't be dead. Even Vivi could destroy MF with Edward's power.
    Now that was trolling. You simply ignore that you were disproven because you talk Whitebeard's attacks and abilites down. You even come up with ridiculous stuff like that last sentence - a thesis which was disproven by many DF ability users that showed their ability to be rather useless being trained (for example: Luffy) or explored (for example: Chopper).

    If you really think that Vivi could destroy Marineford only by having the Gura Gura no Mi powers, you would completely ignore those manga facts. By the strength she showed back then in Arabasta, she'd most likely only would get shaken some boobs besides her own ones. I really like Vivi, but everyone sees that she's not nearly as strong enough to do any bigger damage to Marineford. Unless you want so see Vivi developing a biceps like that of Whitebeard in chapter 572, of course.

    What's up next? "Whitebeard crushing Marineford is no evidence because even Moriah did that to Thriller Bark and he was took out by Jinbe with a single punch who didn't do a scratch to Marineford?"

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    P.S. If only weak people get attacked from behind despite observation haki, then why did Edward get stabbed...FROM THE FRONT!
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_p...7/c562/15.html
    Because Kenbunshoku is no "always on" power unless you are born with that power "always on". Aisa and Otohime prove that.

    And even if you're born with that, the user simply can be distracted. Otohime prove that.

    And if you gained Kenbunshoku haki by training, you can only use it up to a certain point. Sanji prove that while being in Nami's body in Punk Hazard.

    And Luffy prove many times by far that one's own abilities are turned off automatically when you've got one at your side you call friend - and Squard was Edward's family which goes even beyond as that is part of Edward's lifetime dream. No one would have ever guessed that Squard would betray Whitebeard of all pirates allied with him.
    Last edited by hoeru; June 29, 2013 at 03:29 PM.

  3. #18
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GomuGomu_Getsuga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    1. You obviously aren't even slightly trying to understand anything I've said because you haven't countered any of my arguments. Edwards sneak attack doesn't matter because it was just that, a sneak attack. I've already explained that when these two fought head up, they were equals at the very "least". If you take into account Edward's age, sickness and lack of dodging skills, I think Sakazuki would win a fair fight.

    2. How do I not have anything to base it on? IT IS IN THE MANGA! Edward only fights Kuzan and Sakazuki head up one each. We clearly see he loses ground to Kuzan. Marco and Jozu WERE in the war taking majority of the slack off Edward. Edward had pirates like Vista whom could go toe to toe with Mihawk on his team. If all the admirals DID jump Edward, he would die horribly.

    3. Edward was one of only character there that did die. Sakazuki didn't take so much damage from fodder. Neither did Kuzan, Marco or Jozu. None of these pirates/marines died either. Edward was slaughtered in this war. Luffy was in the front line and he didn't take that much damage. I can't give him credit for that.

    4. There was no error in my speech. Of course when I said Edward had pirates on par with the shichibukai, I was referring to the stronger of the bunch. I then referred to the weaker of the bunch because you brought up Ace being offered the position. Going by the original flow of the story there IS a such thing as shichibukai level because all of the originals were strong. Ace obviously wasn't on par with Jimbei, Mihawk or Kuma when Edward tossed him in his sleep so for you to bring it up in the first place made no sense.


    Saying "Whitebeard isn't that strong" makes PERFECT sense if he is widely reguarded as the strongest on OP. It depends on how you comprehend things. You must have read it like "Whitebeard is weak" which is not what I'm saying. It is just a quicker way of saying "Whitebeard wasn't the strongest character in OP." If I said "Luffy isn't that strong" you wouldn't have the strong feeling of disbelief which leads to my point of Edward being overhyped.

    Saying Vivi could destroy MF holds grounds. I highly doubt Teach has the strength Edward does, yet without any practice he could use the same destructive abilities Edward did. MF wasn't being destroyed because Edward or Teach were strong, but because of the gura gura no mi. It was said to be the strongest devil fruit in the world with the power to destroy it.

    Your observation haki talk is all for not considering it didn't help Edward dodge any of the many attacks that killed him...Last time I checked, none of the other big names died in that war. In a head up battle that could last for days on end, trying to protect against sneak attacks would be absent so trying to use it against Sakazuki is pointless. Edwards sneak attack wouldn't happen in a one on one against an admiral, nor would Jozu coming to help. What would happen would be Edward possibly catching a heart attack.

    On another note. Sakazuki has the power to mortally wound Edward. If he didn't miss Edwards head and hit him directly, he would have died. Sakazuki clearly had the power to blow chunks off of the giant.
    Last edited by GomuGomu_Getsuga; June 30, 2013 at 12:32 AM.

  4. #19
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    1. You obviously aren't even slightly trying to understand anything I've said because you haven't countered any of my arguments.
    Which proves that you actually only ignore arguments of others and stick to your hypothesis even though you're on lost ground.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    Edwards sneak attack doesn't matter because it was just that, a sneak attack. I've already explained that when these two fought head up, they were equals at the very "least". If you take into account Edward's age, sickness and lack of dodging skills, I think Sakazuki would win a fair fight.
    If Edward's - what you call it - "sneak attack" doesn't count then the Admirals' sneak attacks on Whitebeard don't count either. If you ignore stuff to justify your theory, you're argumentation is completely imbalanced. And by this you're overhyping Sakazuki who lost badly to an aged Whitebeard. None of Sakazuki's attacks kept Whitebeard down - even the one Sakazuki dealt Whitebeard when he already had a weak moment - while Whitebeard only needed two strong hits to take the foulmouth admiral down temporarily.

    A team of three admirals and many vice admirals were needed to get Whitebeard on the verge of death, so Blackbeard and his crew did the rest. And still he died standing. That is the ultimate proof of Whitebeard being not overhyped at all. None of the other characters participating in that battle were attacked that much. None of them took that many hits. And none of them kept standing, kept moving forward, and kept dealing massive blows to enemies.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    2. How do I not have anything to base it on? IT IS IN THE MANGA! Edward only fights Kuzan and Sakazuki head up one each. We clearly see he loses ground to Kuzan. Marco and Jozu WERE in the war taking majority of the slack off Edward. Edward had pirates like Vista whom could go toe to toe with Mihawk on his team. If all the admirals DID jump Edward, he would die horribly.
    As that last part did never happen in the manga that's your conclusion based on your hypothesis which stays completely unproven.

    No one besides you says that Whitebeard would have needed to get all alone to Marineford, rescue Ace all alone and make it out unharmed and alive to do "his hype" justice. That base of argumentation is simply irrealistic and ridiculous as it ignores how Oda built the characters and the whole second part of One Piece.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    3. Edward was one of only character there that did die. Sakazuki didn't take so much damage from fodder. Neither did Kuzan, Marco or Jozu. None of these pirates/marines died either. Edward was slaughtered in this war. Luffy was in the front line and he didn't take that much damage. I can't give him credit for that.
    If you can't give him credit for that, you're simply determined to drive yourself into your corner even further.

    Teamwork is no sign of a character's weakness. Going by that would mean that the admirals all together are overhyped and weak as none of them took any character down all alone. Sakazuki didn't even kill Ace all alone as he actually attacked Luffy and Ace blocked his attack with his body thus willingly took the blow. So Sakazuki is overhyped by your argumentation.

    That other characters were not killed is no sign of Whitebeard being overhyped or not the strongest of all. If the admirals were strong enough to kill Whitebeard on their own, there wouldn't be a need at all to lure him to Marineford which was prepared for his attack. They would have openly attacked him.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    4. There was no error in my speech. Of course when I said Edward had pirates on par with the shichibukai, I was referring to the stronger of the bunch. I then referred to the weaker of the bunch because you brought up Ace being offered the position. Going by the original flow of the story there IS a such thing as shichibukai level because all of the originals were strong.
    You said "I highly doubt Ace was shichibukai level at that point." And get your facts straight: I didn't bring up Ace's invitation.

    You said "shichibukai level" - out of ignorance as you admit now as such a level did never exist.

    And now you're trying to talk yourself out of it - which doesn't work at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    Ace obviously wasn't on par with Jimbei, Mihawk or Kuma when Edward tossed him in his sleep so for you to bring it up in the first place made no sense.
    Ace was on par with Jinbei, and Mihawk: Jinbe fought Ace only to a draw - when Ace was 17. Mihawk did never show any sign of cutting DF users who are immune to flourish. And Kuma never showed any ability to deal with Logia users at all.

    And it was you who brought up Ace...

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    Saying "Whitebeard isn't that strong" makes PERFECT sense if he is widely reguarded as the strongest on OP. It depends on how you comprehend things. You must have read it like "Whitebeard is weak" which is not what I'm saying. It is just a quicker way of saying "Whitebeard wasn't the strongest character in OP." If I said "Luffy isn't that strong" you wouldn't have the strong feeling of disbelief which leads to my point of Edward being overhyped.
    We're not just disbelieving your thesis. You're argumentation is imbalanced and constructed to support your belief that as you said: "Whitebeard isn't that strong."

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    Saying Vivi could destroy MF holds grounds.
    No. Not at all. The manga utterly disproves you. DF abilities building on one character's physical abilites - which the Gure Gura power undeniably does - doesn't have the same strength if the DF ability is used by a potentially weaker character. Vivi is by no means physically strong enough to crackle a rock with that Gura Gura power.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    I highly doubt Teach has the strength Edward does, yet without any practice he could use the same destructive abilities Edward did.
    Teach didn't need to be as strong as Edward in all aspects. Marineford already took massive damage from Edward's blows, so another blow from Teach simply only did some more damage. And neither Whitebeard nor Blackbeard attacked with all their power at once. They may have put some equal physical strength into those blows.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    MF wasn't being destroyed because Edward or Teach were strong, but because of the gura gura no mi.
    Wrong conclusion. If one had only to rely on the Gura Gura no Mi powers, why wouldn't Blackbeard fight Sakazuki then and decided to retreat?

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    It was said to be the strongest devil fruit in the world with the power to destroy it.
    Irrelevant. All that power is simply lost if one doesn't have the key to use it. Vivi doesn't have those keys. Blackbeard does.

    "Destroying the world" simply can also mean that Whitebeard simply had to attack Mariejois with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    Your observation haki talk is all for not considering it didn't help Edward dodge any of the many attacks that killed him...
    You're unreasonable and ignore the facts given and summarize. You tried to make a point that Whitebeard was overhyped due to him not foreseeing Squard's attack.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    Last time I checked, none of the other big names died in that war.
    Irrelevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    In a head up battle that could last for days on end, trying to protect against sneak attacks would be absent so trying to use it against Sakazuki is pointless. Edwards sneak attack wouldn't happen in a one on one against an admiral, nor would Jozu coming to help.
    There were no 1-on-1 battles in that Marineford incident. So there's no point in bringing up such unproven assumptions and keep repeating them in order to stick on one's hope one will give into them.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    What would happen would be Edward possibly catching a heart attack.
    Irrelevant. He did have such a weak moment. Sakazuki used it to attack him - but didn't bring him down.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    On another note. Sakazuki has the power to mortally wound Edward.
    Every character at a certain strength has the power to wound another character mortally. That is an irrelevant part on your argumentation.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    If he didn't miss Edwards head and hit him directly, he would have died.
    Sakazuki didn't miss Edward's head.

    Quote Originally Posted by GomuGomu_Getsuga View Post
    Sakazuki clearly had the power to blow chunks off of the giant.
    Having the power to do so is no proof at all that one character is weaker or stronger than another one.
    Last edited by hoeru; June 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: fixed

  5. #20
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beika City
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    Wrong conclusion. If one had only to rely on the Gura Gura no Mi powers, why wouldn't Blackbeard fight Sakazuki then and decided to retreat?
    This pretty much ends that specific part of your argument.
    In One Piece, its a fact that it the power accessed from the DF is 100% on the user that eats the fruit.
    The fact that BlackBeard cowered back after Shanks challenged him and his new crew to a fight, is a sign that BlackBeard couldn't achieve the power that WB had.
    It would take years of training for BlackBeard to do so.

  6. #21
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    zero division
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,601
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong



    Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

    Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

  7. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  8. #22
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mr.danly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    701
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    This is a pretty silly thread. "Whitebeard isn't that strong" is an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. He's been called the strongest man in the world constantly, he was still one of the strongest characters we've ever seen (maybe even THE strongest) in the series even at age 72 and horribly sick. Your main point against him seems to be that he's not impervious to wounds or that he could be taken down by sneak attack, but so what? Who the hell is? Of course ANYONE can be taken down if taken down by a massive sneak attack by another incredibly strong person - but WB did take those kinds of hits and kept going and destroyed half of Marineford. Shanks lost his arm to a sea monster saving Luffy, does that make him weak or "not that strong"?
    Currently Following/Completed: One Piece, DGM, HxH, Naruto, Deadman Wonderland, Air Gear, Psyren, Fairy Tail, Bleach.

  9. #23
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    Philippines
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    The fact that he almost destroyed the whole Marineford is already a testament of how strong he was. He did that to the place while the whole marines are defending it. In less than a day.
    Akainu and Aokiji fought for days on an island, they fought with all they've got but didn't completely destroy the island. What do you think would have happened if WB was there also fighting with all he's got?

  10. #24
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,963
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    You can't "completely destroy" an insland with ice or magma, the best you can do is entirely cover it, which they kinda of did.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

    did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

  11. #25
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BetaRuler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    This is a silly thread
    Whitebeard was the strongest, no one fought as many big shots as Whitebeard did at the war, he beat 2 giants, faced all 3 admirals, and the former shichibukai Black Beard.

    Black Beard managed to pull off Whitebeards abilities because he'd already seen Whitebeards abilities so he copied the stances, but he had very little control compared to Whitebeard who constantly had to pull punches for his allies. Also note that Black Beard was threatening Archipelago soon as he stole Whitebeards abilities, while Whitebeard never got Archipelago involved with the same moves earlier. There may also be other rules as to how well Blackbeard gains mastery over others fruit abilities.

    Whitebeard took far more damage than anyone else in that war, yet still stood his ground, all the damage the other characters took to take them down in comparison is nothing. Akainu comes second because he took the most attacks from Whitebeard. Also keep in mind the Admirals were ALL Logia fruits users, which let them pass through so many attacks and dish out so much damage while Whitebeard had to take all attacks and yet he still dished back, no one could with stand as much focus as Whitebeard took and survive.

    That's why Whitebeard was known as the strongest man in the world at the time, he was out numbered by enemies but his strength alone was considered enough to win against the marines.
    He never truly got thrashed by anyone 1 on 1.
    Ace tried over 100 times to kill Whitebeard and failed back when Whitebeard seemed healthier.
    Crocodile claimed he was a lot stronger when they fought too.
    Truly the biggest reason he lost and died was because his health was failing with old age by the time this war happened, he wasn't at his peak fighting strength when he was forced into the war against the marines, but he still fought better than anyone else did in that war.
    So don't belittle him. Or Ace's ghost will come and flame kick your ass! ;D

  12. #26
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jimtors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    Philippines
    Posts
    298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Whitebeard isn't that strong

    The people you used as an example to be stronger or equal than Whitebeard all believe him to be the strongest.. Isn't that enough proof????

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts