Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dangan Ronpa: The Animation

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Dangan Ronpa: The Animation

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation

Episodes: 13
    Aired: Jul 2, 2013
    Producers: Geneon Universal Entertainment, FUNimation EntertainmentL, Lerche, Showgate
    Genres: Action, Mystery, Horror, Psychological

Ending: Zetsubousei: Hero Chiryouyaku" by suzumu feat. soraru

Synopsis
    A group of 15 elite high school students are gathered at a very special, high class high school. To graduate from this high school essentially means you'll succeed in life, but graduating is very difficult. The school is presided over by a bear called Monokuma, and he explains to them that their graduation hinges around committing a murder. The only way to graduate is to kill one of your classmates and get away with it. If the other classmates discover the identity of the killer, the killer is the only one executed. However, if they fail to catch the killer, only the killer graduates and the others are annihilated. Which of the 15 will survive the bloodbath to come?
    Last edited by Skyguardian; June 28, 2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dangan Ronpa: The Animation

Episode 1:

That was a really good first episode. 14 very unique people and 1 plain guy forced into a situation of absout despair... The only way to get out? Kill someone.
    This will be quite the thriller I guess. That library girl already looks like she would be able to kill someone... That gothic lolita is suspicious too...

I can't wait to find out where this is going!

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought episode one was awful. Virtually every line (we'll get out of here if we work together!, you're not telling me what to do!, kill or be killed!), and every gesture (look of determination, agonized stare), were cliche. The characters were stock (yanki, school idol, loli goth, plain guy main character) with no personality. The bear was stock maniacal villain. The acting was bland, animation was terrible, and the character design worse. This might be worse than Devil Survivor 2, which was at least well animated and acted. Will watch another episode or two, just in case this show develops.

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI It's based on a PSP visual novel/detective game of the same name. I'm currently playing the game (which is fully translated via patch) and it's awesome. Which is why I'm not going to watch the series for fear of ruining something.

What I can say is that the characters in the series are supposed to be condensed versions of school anime troupes. In the game they are even referred to as "Super Duper High School ____"(inserting the words Idol, Model, Fighter, Prefect, Athlete, Etc.) to underscore that fact. There is a little more to each but the core of the game is exploring the dynamic of all these inherently unstable people as a "Super Duper High School Average" protag. Which allows you to have a sense of commonality with everybody. Making your character the crux of the whole situation. As a game it's a pretty brilliant concept.

It also supposedly has some of the best plot twists around. Though I haven't got far enough to be able to know whether or not I agree.

Not sure how well it can translate to anime form either. I'll watch the series after I finish the game and find out though.
    Last edited by Jammin; July 06, 2013 at 09:31 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Virtually every line (we'll get out of here if we work together!, you're not telling me what to do!, kill or be killed!), and every gesture (look of determination, agonized stare), were cliche. The characters were stock (yanki, school idol, loli goth, plain guy main character) with no personality. The bear was stock maniacal villain.
    For the very same reason, I enjoyed the first episode. I really like cliche stuff over originality. I only find cliche stuff boring if they are used in a series like Naruto (~500 episodes), so, for a one-cour series, I'm perfectly okay with it.
    Can't speak much about animation, though, since I don't really pay attention to it, so, it might be really bad.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 2:

Hm so now they even have to solve the crime... I think it would've been better if they had to live in fear...

But this... Everybody jumping to conclusions... Couldn't they just ask for the video material from the room? That would've proven that Naegi is innocent...

Well whatever... The only thing I found really stupid was the pink blood. That was just ridiculous.

---------- Post added July 21, 2013 at 02:27 AM ---------- Previous post was July 14, 2013 at 10:55 PM ----------

Episode 3:

The trial was nicely done although they used way to much game graphics. At least it looked that way.
    The only thing I'm really interested in is the "why. Why does Monobear do this? Who is he? What is his aim?
    This is what is keeping me from dropping the show.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sure Kirigiri will die. She is too cool. Their reactions are exaggerated and it makes the show incredibly funny. I was laughing while Leon was shouting, his death was funny too.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 4:

I'm starting to lose interest... Another murder out of nowhere... I wonder who did it this time... The thing I look forward to the most is the penalty.
    I think the blond guy told glasses girl to kill her... We will see.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually I am watching just to see who will survive, they'll probably kill characters like that until the end. Togami is actually the only one who decided to follow the rules of the "game"( at least publicly) maybe he didn't ask the glass girl to kill the hacker but I am sure he manipulated her I don't think he didn't notice her crush on him.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 8:

Only 6 left. I'm impressed that the serial killer is still around though...

Furthermore we have Kirigiri who seems to like Naegi quite a lot now,...

Something is fishy here... Are those the students which were once in his Akademy one year ago...? Did something happen to their memory...?
    Or are the dead people all alive in the real world...?
    This is the thing which I really wanna know.

---------- Post added August 31, 2013 at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was August 23, 2013 at 07:19 PM ----------

Episode 9:

I'm glad that I didn't drop this. I'm totally interested in the stuff Monokuma tries to hide... Furthermore that Bear is a good villain. I wonder what kind of sicko number 16 is...

Kirigira-san is still fishy in my eyes... Can't wait for the next episode!

PS: Poor Alter Ego... :/

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Amusingly I discussed with my friend before and I said it was a suicide while he said she was poisoned. He paused the episode after Togami's explanations and was boasting he was right, lol. They broke Sakura's feelings. They are finally trying to beat Monokuma, it was good to see him panicking a little when he saw Naegi and Kirigiri. I hope Togami won't die, he is by far my favorite character. I am curious to know how Kirigiri discovered the identity of the 16th student(or maybe it's Monokuma?). Now that I think about it her talent has not been revealed yet, right?

---------- Post added September 07, 2013 at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was September 01, 2013 at 10:00 AM ----------

Okay...The game is a reality show>. The mysteries are getting better and better, I am really lost now, at first I thought it could mean the victims are not dead since we saw pictures with them together but it would be too easy. Kirigiri becomes more and more mysterious.
    Last edited by Skyguardian; September 07, 2013 at 03:51 PM.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 10:

A reality show... Now that wasn't unexpected. I wonder when we will finally learn the whole secret.
    Furthermore... Who killed the 16th girl? Why weren't we allowed to see her face?

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I didn't see it coming. The killer was Junko. Best episode of the series, I doubt the last one will be better.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, finally something that wasn't easily foreseen came up and we could call it a twist. It'll still be interesting to learn why she included herself as a student to begin with, though. I hope it's covered in the next episode.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

How are they going to fit all of those informations in the next episode? Their amnesia, the worst calamitous despair incident in human history, why did they all agree to live in this school, why was this school supposed to be a shelter and what was it a shelter from, why did Junko do all of this and probably more stuff. How are they gonna pull it off and stuff all of that in one episode is beyond me.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast