Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Kabu no Isaki by Ashinano Hitoshi

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kabu no Isaki by Ashinano Hitoshi

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    What do I like of Shiro or Shirosan? She loves freedom and she likes to see how free are the youngsters at her side. She has no hurries, and she likes sex and alcohol... She's the experienced and entertaining mature woman who knows how to have good times.... Like an old good wine... Love her.
    Indeed, what a woman!
    REVOLUTION! FREEDOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Things are getting kind of strange...

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    Things are getting kind of strange...
    lol... I was expecting she would have propose Isaki to have sex, so that he could be a new Isaki ... Yes, that was strange... again. I'll have to reread the last two volumes once this last one is complete.

Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

I like this kind of strangeness, lyricness in Ashinano's works

So Kajika being Isaki's sister is canon now... then again, it was hinted at pretty strongly.
    REVOLUTION! FREEDOM!

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

This was the penultimate chapter. Here the note of Roselia Scans:

Quote Quote:
    Alas, all good things must come to an end, and Kabu no Isaki is no exception. Have you enjoyed the ride so far?

Things delve into straight up David Lynch territory in Kabu no Isaki's penultimate chapter. Was it all a dream? A fantasy world? Only Shiro-san knows for sure...
    The last chapter will reveal us all for good or for bad...

---------- Post added December 06, 2013 at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was December 03, 2013 at 06:23 PM ----------

I feel kind of sad with this end, even if the evaluation of the whole manga makes me value it as one of the best I've read. The firsts volumes were absolutely great. But the end is not good to me, as it happened with the end of vol 5. Both were kind of cryptic, and I couldn't go beyond the magnificent metaphors and poetic images already portrayed in a much more simple and clear way in Vols 1 - 4. The analogy between a motorbike and a plane, and the idea that both are metaphors of freedom were already beautifully presented not only before this ending chapter but also in YKK. So I kinda feel that the author was out of resources in the end of his story and was just repeating himself.

Much more if he left us with questions that won't be answered, at least that I have missed something in the previous chapters that explained, but: How is it that Isaki didn't recognise Shirosan? Was all the story just a dream? And what's the deal with that bottle? Is it that Shirosan was a witch and stole Isaki's memories in the previous chapter? I feel I have to reread the last 2 volumes to make the most of them, but right now honestly I don't understand this end.

Even so this story, and particularly Shirosan, just gave joy and so delightful moments. With out a single doubt about it, Hitoshi Ashinano is one of the greatest artist ever in the manga world.

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

…..what? The ending left me with a somewhat depressed feeling. The last volume just kinda… scared me. Especially the chapter with Shiro's time…

D:

Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

uki:
    Spoiler show

There's no single explanation for the ending. That's the thing about lyric works . It wasn't so extreme with Mt. Fuji, but the ending is just a total outburst of lyricness.

I like loose endings, though. It doesn't give the feel that something's over, and I can continue thinking about possible ways of how it could develop further.
    REVOLUTION! FREEDOM!

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    uki:
    Spoiler show

There's no single explanation for the ending. That's the thing about lyric works . It wasn't so extreme with Mt. Fuji, but the ending is just a total outburst of lyricness.

I like loose endings, though. It doesn't give the feel that something's over, and I can continue thinking about possible ways of how it could develop further.
    Ok, lets say it's lyricism. Then I think he was repeating himself in his last chapter because the analogy about the cup and the motorcycle was used before and in much better way. Now the bottle and Shirosan in the penultimate chapter was kind of weird...

Thristanhorn, the translator from Roselia Scans gave this curious lyric-al interpretation:

Quote Quote:
    My personal interpretation of the ending is that Isaki is about to start singing Bohemian Rhapsody...:

Quote Quote:
    Is this the real life?
    Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide (no escape from reality)
    Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see
    I'm just a poor boy, (poor boy) I need no sympathy
    Because I'm easy come, easy go, little high, little low
    Any way the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't really care for the ending at all and while some chapters were really nice and atmospheric, overall I'd say this series was pretty average. It's impossible for me not to compare this series to YKK, and not that it was necessarily trying to live up to it, but it doesn't come anywhere close. I don't regret reading it or anything, but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to somebody.

Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

I only read part of YKK, so I didn't know about the repeating. But I did get the impression that the author was running out of steam a bit, it didn't feel as good as YKK.
    REVOLUTION! FREEDOM!

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    I only read part of YKK, so I didn't know about the repeating. But I did get the impression that the author was running out of steam a bit, it didn't feel as good as YKK.
    To me, YKK is clearly superior, but KnI has some incomparable pages of gold. Maybe you would like to try YKK. I hope Hitoshi Ashinano starts a new manga soon.

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3