Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Timeline of Humanity vs Titans and Questions

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Timeline of Humanity vs Titans and Questions

Timeline : [SPOILERS included]

845 : Bert, Reiner and Annie reach Wall Maria with the mission to wipe out humanity within it. Bert transforms and breaks the relatively weaker gate to allow Titans to enter. (To escape he would simply need the help of Reiner's or Annie's transformed form). Reiner breaks down the rear gate of Shinganshina. They revert back to their original forms and pose as refugees to infiltrate Wall Rose to gather intelligence about the military.
    Warrior's victory. Humanity's loss.
    Intelligence gained by humanity : Existence of a colossal and armored titan and a bit of their abilities. Nothing else.

Warriors remain on standby for 5 years. It is reasonable to assume that they haven't relayed any intelligence back since the ape-titan(seemingly an ally) is ignorant about it.

846 : Mission to retake Wall Maria with 250000 refugees. 100 survive. Essentially a culling to avoid food shortage.

850 :
    1) Warriors attack again. This time, they stop in mid-track because of Eren transforming into a Titan. This puts in suspicion in the minds of the Warriors and they undetake the mission of bringing back Eren to their base. Eren plugs the hole. Two Titans captured alive and later killed to avoid humanity from getting any intel.
    Humanity's victory (albeit lots of casualities). Warriors hold back and lose.

Intelligence gained by humanity : Two Titans captured alive give some more info about Titans. More info about the Titan ability with Eren's transformation. Dr Jaegar's involvement confirmed.

2) On 57th expedition, female Titan attacks and kills some soldiers. Female Titan's identity is exposed to be Annie and is captured but no intel gained by her capture.

3) Ape-Titan is sent for power recon. Maybe the Warriors sent out had failed in their missions and hence this Titan was sent out. Ape-Titan could have been a signal to Reiner and Bert to stop their attack on humanity finally and return. Or/And Reiner & Bert sense that their identities will be exposed and decide to return.

4) Colossal and Armored Titan exposed. They carry out their mission to kidnap Eren and also take Ymir with them. Their ability to transform is suspicious, hence must figure this out before they start attacking. Reiner seems to have manipulated Ymir into siding with them.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member winterwyrm's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Timeline of Humanity vs Titans and Questions

how long ago was humanity driven into the walls? Most sources I've seen say one hundred years, but quite a few chapters say "a few hundred years".

Also, did humanity revert to medieval technology like the wiki says, or did the attacks occur during the medieval period? Thank you.
    Last edited by winterwyrm; July 19, 2013 at 11:03 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Wikis are not always the most reliable source of info, just like most of the things people assume regarding SnK's plot oftentimes are no more than mere speculation.

As long as reliable info go, the manga itself is the only source you can count on.

It's said in the manga the Titan-crisis began sometime around ~100 years ago. In no other instance in the manga, to my knowledge, this is ever being disputed.

Regarding the technology being available to humans at the time, we simply don't know. However, it's being implied in a few instances that technology being available wasn't substantially more advanced than what they have available inside the walls (ie they used Cannons just like the ones they have on top of the walls).

Obviously there's the whole point about the origin of the walls themselves. But yeah, we're still clueless.

And that's as far as info being disclosed in the manga go. Obviously it might end up that things were different than what we are being told atm, but we just don't know. At best we can make assumptions, but that wouldn't be factual info anymore, so yeah.

Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thank you, the manga I read had it mostly say "just over a hundred years ago" but sometimes it would randomly say "a few hundred years ago", I suppose later when the wall titan thing is revealed it may turn out things went differently from what they were told anyways, so we will probably have more definite information in the future.

Thanks again, yes, I remember when they were explaining the titan's weakness it said that they used cannons, and yes, it surprised me when I read that humanity was in the modern day and devolved to medieval tech, you would think a helicopter gunship would do better against the titans, but it was possible since they said sawney bean existed "a long long time ago" and he was in the 16th century

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct7g7hcEYWc

I guess I'll assume they were in medieval tech when it happened.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow then it seems none here and in other SnK communities or the scanlators themselves knew about Swaney Bean folkloristic legend cuz everyone translate that titan name as "Sonny" from katakana.

16th century, now this is a real world and timeline reference, the first of SnK and it was revealed by anime itself.
    This must involve something like a post-atomic conflict where the humanity downgrade from hifhtech to a sort of mixed modern/old fashion stuff like in HnK and similar manga/movies but in a steampunk flavor.

And this explain the canned food too.

Can we talk about 845 TR (Titan Reckoning) and the Year Zero the time when Titan first appeared?

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Huesoman's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right, I just search for "Sawney Bean" in wikipedia and yes he seems to be real, so if the 16th-century happended "a long long time ago" then SnK develops in a futuristic world? Maybe they "rename" the time so to speak, year 0 is no more when Jesus christ was born, year 0 is another date? I hope the anime is approved by the mangaka so both, manga and anime, stay the same. I agree, year 0 could be the titans first appereance. And there is something interesting, the first chapter title is " To you, in 2000 years", so maybe the Shingeki no Kyojin world is set 2000 years after the present, our present time? So they are in the year 4013 A.D?
    Last edited by Huesoman; July 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Be careful when jumping to this kind of conclusions. References of this kind might be misleading. What I'm trying to say is, basically everything might be going on here, maybe Isayama (or the anime guys) are just trowing references around to make things more interesting, but that alone isn't enough to make assumptions about the SnK timeline.

In fact, it's pretty common for anime/manga authors to mix real world references within 100% fantasy world.

But yeah, those are interesting facts definitely worth keeping in mind. If further evidence is being found throughout the series, then we might be up to something.

Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I mean it just says that's what happened in the wiki, that's why I was asking about that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Titan#Setting
    this appears to have been taken word for word from some kind of databook, since it's there word for word in the SNK wiki as well as this one. Some other things suggest that as well, such as the syringe eren's father used was a lot more modern than the glass jars they had at the time, likewise the boat seen here appears to use victorian era motors:

http://www.mangapanda.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/2/26
    and the tanks at their refueling stations, plus this curiously advanced microscope:
    http://www.mangapanda.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/37/8 which was used for research in the late 1800s, but looks like the non-electric type we use today that hasn't been around more than 50 years
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microscope

What's more everyone in wall sina is clearly in victorian frilly dress with suits and ties and such, though they might have invented these things by themselves in the 100 years like the 3DMG.

If that's true... Well I speculate that the titans could not have upset the world so much by themselves, that would lend credence to the theory that there was a major war or some kind, say a nuclear exchange which ruined the world, and saw the titans used as biological weapons, created only to destroy humans, and that renier may be from a rival faction that refuses to put aside their ancient hatred, hence being programmed with some groups of humans as "masters" who they obey to the death: http://www.mangapanda.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/16/12
    Guns would not be useful against titans, so they would not have those in such a world, due to steering all production desperately towards swords and walls and such, it would be easy for a lot of tech to be lost and forgotten.
    Last edited by winterwyrm; July 22, 2013 at 03:08 PM.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Huesoman's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the part where you say "being programmed with some groups of humans as masters who they obey to the death". As your example, ymir could be one "master", and I would add...
    http://www.mangapanda.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/35/40
    yes, the ape titan could be another "master", and maybe Annie (remember she summons titans when was captured in the forest). Now on topic, I think there is a mistake in wikipedia, if I remembered correctly, titans appeared 107 years ago, not 100.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ImmortalZodd's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Huesoman View Post
    Now on topic, I think there is a mistake in wikipedia, if I remembered correctly, titans appeared 107 years ago, not 100.
    Yup, http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/2
    Although I am suspicious of the phrase "common knowledge", with a possibility of that information being fabrication by the government.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember that SnK World and Timeline can be part of an Uchronia and this will solved the most of questions about technology and calendar.

The same Steampunk background is an Uchronia and a lot of manga/movies setting in a similar World can't be compared historically with the real world.

That "2000 years" is a real mistery cuz they are really A LOT compared to the 107 years from Titans appearance and the 845 reckoning too.

What about this:
    Quote Originally Posted by wikia
    Titans have forced humanity to devolve to a medieval level of technology and to retreat into a system of concentric Walls
    How this can be? The author tell us, with some medieval-like drawings, that in the past humanity fight titans with cannons, but if they were more technology advanced why they used the same fire weapons humanity use now after the devolution?

Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teioh View Post
    How this can be? The author tell us, with some medieval-like drawings, that in the past humanity fight titans with cannons, but if they were more technology advanced why they used the same fire weapons humanity use now after the devolution?
    Noup, the author didn't say it, instructor at the military academy did.
    http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/4/24

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/2
    Here, the 'author' is narrating, but as I already said above, the way he used 'common knowledge' makes me doubt the even that information.

And the year 845 makes me wonder.. what happened at year 0?

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalZodd View Post
    And the year 845 makes me wonder.. what happened at year 0?
    They discovered the process for fermenting grains into beer. Good times!

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Heh, they all got drunk and forgot what year it was, so they started again at 0 xD

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Talk about being lighthearted and cool

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast