Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Tower of God Hangout & Q/A Thread

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity LoS's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tower of God Chapter 151 Discussion / 152 Predictions

I have no problem with weak characters, nor characters who are broken with sad back stories, have had a tough go of it and are just down on their luck types, but honestly for me the majority of Tangsooyook's members are just downright boring. I get the occasional laugh, for the amount of forced humor from Wangnan and the rest of the group I don't laugh enough, but I do laugh at and with them occasionally. The main problem is I don't care what becomes of any of those characters for the most part. Miseng, Goseng, Arkraptor, and Prince are just super boring characters with no real future for me. Yihwa is probably the most boring and bland of the lot, but she probably has the most potential and such just due to her bloodline.

Horyang even if he wasn't strong has an interesting back story, human experiments, corruption of the tower etc. Wangnan gets a pass due to the occasional humor, and because of the ring he carries. You kinda want to learn more about him, but the rest can't be said for the others. I don't care to learn anything more about Miseng, Goseng, Arkraptor, Yihwa, or Prince.

One problem with force feeding us certain characters is that they aren't portrayed or come across exactly how the Author envisioned them. SIU might think he's doing a spot on job with a certain character, but the majority of the readership can't connect or get behind a certain character. Instead of just letting them be we are now getting featurettes on all of them, even if they are semi-failed/boring characters.
    The OG that ran Bleach for near a decade is no more.
    Cheers to a boss villain, I tip my hat to you Aizen

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tower of God Chapter 151 Discussion / 152 Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by LoS View Post
    I have no problem with weak characters, nor characters who are broken with sad back stories, have had a tough go of it and are just down on their luck types, but honestly for me the majority of Tangsooyook's members are just downright boring. I get the occasional laugh, for the amount of forced humor from Wangnan and the rest of the group I don't laugh enough, but I do laugh at and with them occasionally. The main problem is I don't care what becomes of any of those characters for the most part. Miseng, Goseng, Arkraptor, and Prince are just super boring characters with no real future for me. Yihwa is probably the most boring and bland of the lot, but she probably has the most potential and such just due to her bloodline.

Horyang even if he wasn't strong has an interesting back story, human experiments, corruption of the tower etc. Wangnan gets a pass due to the occasional humor, and because of the ring he carries. You kinda want to learn more about him, but the rest can't be said for the others. I don't care to learn anything more about Miseng, Goseng, Arkraptor, Yihwa, or Prince.

One problem with force feeding us certain characters is that they aren't portrayed or come across exactly how the Author envisioned them. SIU might think he's doing a spot on job with a certain character, but the majority of the readership can't connect or get behind a certain character. Instead of just letting them be we are now getting featurettes on all of them, even if they are semi-failed/boring characters.
    I don't see anywhere the majority you talk about. Do we have stats, or does anyone have made a survey? Because if not, then that's just a mere speculation.

Anyhow, what everybody should have to keep in mind is that SIU knows what he is doing. His weak characters is something he is intentionally developing; and I suppose the best we can do as readers is to see how that development ends, so that we could make a fair appreciation of those characters. Of course, he can fail in what he tries to do. But by now, nobody knows it. So that every current complain about those characters could only mean: "up to now, I don't like it". (Possibly that is the worst part of ToG, those boring complains of its readers in regards to Tangsooyoook members). But you can't/shouldn't bet you will say that tomorrow. Not with SIU, imo.
    Last edited by ukimix; July 15, 2013 at 08:27 AM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tower of God Hangout

SiU is a master troll, we shouldnt forget that

I had an idea, that maybe when the whole showdown with FUG happens, lots of people will die in between. And having members like miseng(who by the way has a lot of hidden potential) die, would add much more impact on Baam.
    Not saying that it will happen, but it would be interesting to see.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

To make useful our previous discussion about a majority liking/disliking weak characters like the Tangsooyong members, I have created this thread in batoto, (the biggest english community in commenting ToG). It's a survey aimed to provide stats about how much attractive/unattractive the people find some characters from Tangsooyoong team.

Quote Quote:

I've created this thread because I'm interested in getting some stats that could be useful in judging, from the point of view of the big audience, just how much SIU has achieved what he's saying in successfully creating like human characters who break easily, as it's said in the market lines above. (I have no doubts about his success in creating strong and cool characters).

A first question is who are those like human characters easily breakable? I think we could work with paradigmatic samples, so that we could avoid in some extend the discussion about who is strong and cool and who is a "like human character who breaks easily". Good examples of like human characters easily breakable would be Miseng, Goseng, Yeon (she still can't manage her powers), and I would include here also Wangnan (we have seen him yelling and crying many times). I won't include Baam or Koon because they are more problematic, on my view.

The thread will try to determinate how much attractive does the big audience find those characters. To do it, we will not ask only for them but also, in order to be able to make a comparison, we also will ask for how attractive you people find some strong and cool characters. Our good examples of this kind of character will be Androssi and Rak. And finally we will add a final question about how attractive you find the whole cast.

So the question is:

Quote Quote:
    how attractive do you find each of the following characters and also the whole cast of ToG?:

Miseng
    Goseng
    Yeon
    Wangnan
    Androssi
    Rak
    Whole cast

All you have to do is to copy the list and write the respective grade in front of each character. We will grade them from 1 to 10, being 10 the grade of the character you find among the most attractive ones, and 1 the grade of the most unattractive ones. I will be updating the general stats from time to time.

Also you can add your comments and opinions, of course. Please, notice that we are not trying to know if the weak characters are as attractive as the strong ones. We can hope the strong will have better grades. The question could be, then, how much better they are? If a weak character gets a final grade of 2 and the strong one gets a grade of 7 or more, I'd think SIU would have failed in his try to captivate the big audience. We'll be able to compare also the grade of the whole cast with the grade of each of the participants.

So there it is.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Wangnan should be burned at the stake. I would've liked to have seen Quaetro burn him up last chapter.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Wangnan should be burned at the stake. I would've liked to have seen Quaetro burn him up last chapter.
    We'll see if the big audience finds him attractive or nor. My votes were:

Miseng -----> 6
    Goseng-----> 2
    Yeon -------> 7
    Wangnan --> 8
    Androssi----> 10
    Rak ---------> 9
    Whole cast -> 7

Surprisingly I see several posts with Wangnan taking more points than Rak. lol...

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity LoS's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not just Tangsooyook, Hatsu is an extremely dull and boring character as well. Strong people can be boring characters, so it's not that I don't like weak characters.
    The OG that ran Bleach for near a decade is no more.
    Cheers to a boss villain, I tip my hat to you Aizen

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not just Tangsooyook, Hatsu is an extremely dull and boring character as well. Strong people can be boring characters, so it's not that I don't like weak characters.
    But the survey is about what SIU is trying to do with those both kind of characters. I think it's interesting to see what the big audience think about it. Also, the survey will cover two of the characters you find hyperboring: Miseng and Goseng, and will provide some base to get an approximation to judge if, in regards to them, it's true that:

SIU might think he's doing a spot on job with a certain character, but the majority of the readership can't connect or get behind a certain character.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

There are people who like Wangnan, but for a variety of reasons, I quite dislike him.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh you have made the point clear many many times... I'd like to see how he is perceived by the majority.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

He isn't my favorite character but I don't dislike him either. I am just neutral about him. There are times when he annoyed me and times when he was ok.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd prefer the old Wangnam, the one who wants to conquer the Tower. He changed for the sake of the group and hasn't been developed clearly enough to convince us, i think.

About the character, he's above the rest to me but below my favorites like Rachel, Han Sung, Rak or Jinsung.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nast.J's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm feeling very mixed about Wangnan. He pisses me off right now.

He used to be funny, motivated to go up and really serious when he needed to. I remember thinking that this kid had guts and ambitions especially during that moment
    Spoiler show

And of course, his hinted prince heritage was the only thing that really made me interested about him at first. I mean if Wangnan focused on getting better, he could definitively be someone dangerous and worth getting excited for in the future.

But no instead he became one babysitter, All he does right now is hanging around his team when he's supposed to be one of the leader. He doesn't have any discipline and lacks motivation. He's trained but he's still weak. He proved nothing during the first round of the tournament except showing us that he's still a weakling who only knows how to whine and getting carried by Koon.

I miss his motivation to go up, the way he acted towards everyone (even asslicking his enemies only to get closer to the top.)

Go back to your oldself, Wangnan, you deserve more, where's that Wangnan?

Spoiler show

He's almost as worst as the whole Miseng, Goseng, Akraptor and Prince crew. The only one with potential seems to be Yeon but even her seems to be getting on my nerves lately with the whole ''I can't use my flames properly''. She was more interesting when she went berserk...

Thank god, the old S1 characters are back because the ones from the S2 are boring as hell. (Teamspeaking obviously)

But i still got to give SIU's credit, S2's team must seem week but their backgrounds are actually well done, they all are different from one another and that's quite the feat considering how many important characters exist in ToG. They might not be my cup of tea but I'm pretty sure some other people would like them or enjoy them so as long as other people enjoy them, SIU didn't create them in vain.

Besides, I'm happy enough that we got to know interesting characters such as Urek, Ha Jinsung, Karaka, Mad Dog during this season.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member mup's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

this is my personal disappointment the whole concept of the Tower or as i see it at the moment is to get to the top and all of your wishes will come true yeah that a survival story when the 2nd season started you did felt the despair to get to the top but now that urgency is lost with (you can take the test as many time as you want) that just loses it tense atmosphere of the character
    Last edited by mup; July 19, 2013 at 08:33 PM.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Up to now, some stats from the thread in batoto:

Clearly Goseng is the most unattractive character and Rak the favorite of the group of people who voted. Ohhhhh, Wangnan at the level of Androssi and Ra, lol.

New Reply
Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast