Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: Who wins?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unohana Retsu

21 63.64%
  • Barragan Luisenbarn

12 36.36%
Thread Closed
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bleach Tournament Quarter Finals: Unohana vs Barragan

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleach Tournament Quarter Finals: Unohana vs Barragan

Don't forget to read the rules first before you proceed. You can click on character names below pictures to go to their Bleach wiki article for more information.

QUARTER FINALS

Welcome to the Quarter Finals of championship fights of the second Bleach Tournament!
    Here are the contestants who will battle against each other to advance to the next round in the championship bracket:

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zimbardo's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bleach Tournament Quarter Finals: Unohana vs Barragan

Unohana is awesome at swordplay - and healing kido.
    However
    (and this is a pretty big 'However')
    I do not see that she has anything to counter Barragan's ability.
    Unless she can regenerate the aging tissue? Improbable...
    Barragan showed, vs Soi Fong, that getting into close combat against him is just not possible. He can slow you down - or cause you to age far too rapidly.
    Range or Kido are all that is possible.
    And even then, you need very specific ranged/kido skills to have a chance.
    Unohana has not shown either.
    Barragan wins
    Infinite RAGE!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner lyght's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

would unahana's bankai work?
    it melts everything away and she can heal from that. IDK ima vote for una though

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Gotenkss's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Going with barragan on this one....
    have not seen many long range attacks and kido attacks for uno
    Would you like me to save you?... Just kidding.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

She had to lose against isshin,and she has nothing to counter barragan's fearsome Respira.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Impossibility's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact that we continue to be in the dark about the details of Unohana's bankai annoys me immensely. Exactly what it does, or how it works, are unknown. I don't know about this battle. For me, these two, alongside Ichigo and Ken, were the remaining heavyweights that had the hype and feats to make it through to the end. How Unohana's bankai would match up against Barragan's Respira, or her healing abilities, I'm a bit on the fence. Although, at this point, if Barragan makes it through this, I can't imagine anyone else suited to bring him down.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member xXAshisogiJizoXx's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Unohana's bankai I would assume just let's her heal very rapidly. The skin melting away was just an allegory, but even if it was her ability, ... what's the point? Kenpachi was not hindered in anyway, and Barragan is already a skeleton, he would not be affected in the slightest if released, and if not released, it is seemingly a purely cosmetic effect. So if the bankai is a healing one, it still won't help much. Healing kido heals wounds. Aging =/= wounds. The only real advantage is that she can heal the wound of anything she has to chop off. Doesn't mean regenerate, nor does it give her a way to harm Barragan.

But, for the sake of argument, considering how old Unohana is, she certainly doesn't look like she has aged at all. Not entirely how old she is. Assuming she is immortal is crazy, but maybe her healing does have some way to slow down aging. But even then, its VERY conjecture-y and all it could do is slow the effect of respira or serencescia, won't stop it.
    Not Perfect is GOoD

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Takahashi's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Lord Barragan solos.

TDF completely screws CQC fighters, particularly when it's enhanced via resurrection. Unohana's Kaido was really impressive, and there's a chance she may be able to heal a section tagged with Respira. However, that's really just delaying the inevitable, because she lacks any reliable method to actually hurt, let alone kill him.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No she doesn't. Shes a master of all styles of swordsmanship for good reason. Im sure theres people who believe Barragan is unfallable, but she could end this fight before it even begins. She doesn't fight like Soi-Fong, who rushed in without analyzing the type of fighter he was. With the experience she has even if she was somehow weaker than Soi-Fong, Im sure she would figure out that his own ability is his weakness. Who says Respira would even touch her? And correct me if Im wrong but wasn't she the one who healed Soi-Fong's arm? Didn't she keep Hiyori alive? So if she has the skills to not only heal others but herself, then it is reasonable she can perhaps do the same to Barragan. She uses kido to heal, so if she can contain the life force of those shes healing and do what she did with Zaraki, then perhaps she can use respira against Barragan by 'containing' it with her kido? Thats a theory I believe is possible since Hachi contained respira within a kido barrier, and he placed the aging hand of his inside Barragan with- kido. So my theory is she uses her own healing techniques to 'contain' the Respira within Barragan. Sort of in a similar way Hachi used the aging of his own body by placing it inside him. Unohana as a healer can do the same imo, since she can use kido to heal, perhaps it would do the reverse for Barragan.
    Last edited by freshseth83; July 10, 2013 at 01:02 AM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by freshseth83 View Post
    And correct me if Im wrong but wasn't she the one who healed Soi-Fong's arm? Didn't she keep Hiyori alive? So if she has the skills to not only heal others but herself, then it is reasonable she can perhaps do the same to Barragan.
    I thought it was Orihime that rejected the damage to Soi-fon's arm (as stated when Yamamoto refused her 'treatment'). I can't remember to be honest.

She uses kido to heal, so if she can contain the life force of those shes healing and do what she did with Zaraki, then perhaps she can use respira against Barragan by 'containing' it with her kido? Thats a theory I believe is possible since Hachi contained respira within a kido barrier, and he placed the aging hand of his inside Barragan with- kido. So my theory is she uses her own healing techniques to 'contain' the Respira within Barragan. Sort of in a similar way Hachi used the aging of his own body by placing it inside him. Unohana as a healer can do the same imo, since she can use kido to heal, perhaps it would do the reverse for Barragan.
    But wouldn't her kido age as well?
    Hacchi never really managed to successfully contain the Respira - only delay it.
    Even the kido he used on his own arm, decayed inside Barragan - this is how the Respira could escape into Barragan's body.
    I am not sure if she can counter the aging process fast enough or not (with her healing kido).
    Therefore, as I can not see her dealing with that ability (and it is a hell of an ability) I can not see how she could get close enough to cut Barragan.
    Infinite RAGE!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats the whole point. Kido doesn't need to contain respira indefinitely. Thats exactly how Hachi won. And it shows hes not immune to his own power. Therefor using kido to temporarily 'bottle' it while force feeding it to Barragan. That's how I see Unohana doing it. Whether she gave Soi-Fong her arm back isn't my point, she can use kido to sustain people who're injured. She also can use it to heal herself, that shows she has a special control over this type of kido to use it as she sees fit. Another instance is when she healed Ichigo while he was running through the garganta to fake K-Town.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Therefor using kido to temporarily 'bottle' it while force feeding it to Barragan. That's how I see Unohana doing it.
    Hmm. If she can transport the 'bottled' (not the right term, but we both know what I mean by that) Respira back, then yes, she can win.
    Unohana has superb kido control - she is one of the best in the G13.
    But, and this is rather annoying (as now that Tessai has gone, it is hard to find someone who can beat Barragan), I have yet to see anything in the manga to suggest she can transport/feed back the Respira - in the same way Hacchigen did (time and space control seem to be skills only a few know [Tessai and Hacchigen being the only stated 2 - Captain and Vice captain of the kido corps]).
    If she can not do this, then she is, unfortunately, at the mercy of Barragan's power (time or not).
    I guess, one other method (though I am not sure this would work either) is that, perhaps, she could rush Barragan and make shields of kido to delay his Respira enough that she could get a hit on Barragan.
    Unfortunately, Soi fong wasn't quick enough - especially considering Barragan's slow time powers.
    The only way this may work is if Barragan can not switch quickly enough between slowing down Unohana and summoning Respira.
    It is too much of a stretch for me to think that this rushing tactic would work - and even with Unohana's powers, as she has not shown the 'easiest' method (that Hacchigen showed), I can not vote for her on what little she has showed.
    Infinite RAGE!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Takahashi's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zimbardo View Post
    I thought it was Orihime that rejected the damage to Soi-fon's arm (as stated when Yamamoto refused her 'treatment'). I can't remember to be honest.
    It was SS that healed Soi Fon's arm. They developed new technology over the time-skip.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member xXAshisogiJizoXx's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Unohona doesn't have a single kido feat that can help her here, and saying her healing powers can stem time is possible, but far from certain. If she can make shields and whatnot, doesn't change the fact that she has to swing at Barragan to harm him, and guy who can physically withstand the nuke, and possibly destroy her zan before it reaches him.

And being contrarion for contrarion's sake under the belief Barragan is infallible is misguided. Firstly because his power is pretty ridiculous and physicality against him is so obviously not possible. Secondly he isn't impossible to beat, Tousen COULD beat him as far as abilities are concerned, but it would be ridiculously uphill. Many would say Stark could beat him, as well as Tessai. Very specialized abilities are needed to beat Barragan's ability.

Regarding time dilation, iirc it only works when he is sealed. When Barragan releases, his time dilation field advances to essentially a respira like effect that is around him at all times, just invisible. The only difference, aside from being clear, is that this effect doesn't spread the way respira does. Unohona may be able to jump in and out before dying, but she can't stay long at risk of perishing, she will still age significantly if she does survive, she is in point blank range of respira, trying to kill one of the most survivable characters in the series, who is immensely strong and carries a giant axe.

Her only selling point is the argument that she can heal her wounds lost and possibly stem the decay, but the only person who has shown to do that REMOTELY close to fast enough for a battle is Orihime. Whenever SS heals people to that extent, it takes forever, she could not save Byakuya, nor do we know how long it took Hiyori to recover.
    Not Perfect is GOoD

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xXAshisogiJizoXx View Post
    Regarding time dilation, iirc it only works when he is sealed. When Barragan releases, his time dilation field advances to essentially a respira like effect that is around him at all times, just invisible. The only difference, aside from being clear, is that this effect doesn't spread the way respira does. Unohona may be able to jump in and out before dying, but she can't stay long at risk of perishing, she will still age significantly if she does survive, she is in point blank range of respira, trying to kill one of the most survivable characters in the series, who is immensely strong and carries a giant axe.
    Agree with most of what you say. Probably with this bit also, as I honestly can't remember. But by time dilation, the one he used against Soi Fong slowed time down - this is the opposite of Respira. Can he do both at once? If not, then he can not slow Unohana down if she goes in for close combat.
    Not that it really matters as Respira will kill her if she goes close anyway...
    Just asking out of interest...
    Infinite RAGE!

Thread Closed
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast