Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jinbe and Haki

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Jinbe and Haki

I have read various vs thread. The status of whether or not Jinbe has haki is very varied from people to people.
    But in the past, he had injured Ace. And this
    http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/677

On the cover page of chapter 677, he punched Caribou. Granted Caribou is a weak dude that even the middle trio or even the weakling trio can find way to injured him especially his logia form is volume limited. But on that page, Jinbe physically punch him. So yeah, or is Caribou has the Ace's thing where he is tangible if he get caught off guard.

Anyhow, the discussion probably really short but ya.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jinbe and Haki

i believe he can use haki

i do not havr a ton of evidence it just seems like he does

i remember his little scuffle with luffy he was actually able to hurt luffy

so if his punches effected the rubber hes probably a haki user

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

just went and rewatched that "fight"

lol at how stubborn luffy is

but back on topic jimbeis fishman karate manipulates the water around him
    and thsts how his punch hurt luffy

this doesnt mean he cnt use haki though

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Jimbei is freaking Fishmen Karate user, the fighting style which uses water. It affects the water inside of your body if I recall. That is why Logias are tangible for Jimbe, same as he can hurt Luffy without using Haki. But then again.. at certain level of Haki you wont feel his punches I guess, so Haki would be usefull for Jimbei.

I will go with answer "Yea, he has Haki but was not shown using it yet". All we have seen so far was Fishmen Karate. And even without knowledge of Haki, Jimbei would be a big shot. Kenbusoshoku is more needed in his case than Busoshoku.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, being weak or not does not really have much to do with how haki affects you at large from what I gather. Caribou would get hit by haki whether he was at his current level or capable of fighting an admiral. Granted there are a couple more tricks to the thing (we saw akainu and aokiji seemingly surviving haki attacks) however at large haki should work.

As for jinbe having haki, I would personally find it weird that he didn't have it. He is pretty damn strong and capable of fighting at least on the same tier as current luffy. His fishman karate allows him to fight fruit users efficiently however the issue here is that haki is ultimately a sort of generic skill among warriors of certain caliber. Could jinbe be who he is without a counter of his own to haki? Haki gives you a pretty efficient defense and enhances your offense at large. In that regard fishman karate cannot by any means work as a replacement for haki but rather as a complement. Not having haki would put jinbe in a bad position against people who have haki for offense and defense and he would certainly be behind when it comes to reflexes if his enemy has observation haki.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Jinbe does not use Haki. That was explicitly denied by the explanation of how his Fishman Karate was able to hurt Luffy. Controlling the water is the key, as water damps down DF abilities.

There's not much more to say or discuss about that. Oda made that fact very clear in chapter 629.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    Jinbe does not use Haki. That was explicitly denied by the explanation of how his Fishman Karate was able to hurt Luffy. Controlling the water is the key, as water damps down DF abilities.

There's not much more to say or discuss about that. Oda made that fact very clear in chapter 629.

I don't particularly like your tone but the point that I brought up has absolutely nothing to do with Luffy but rather Ace and Caribou.
    Back in BW arc, Luffy slammed into Ace. So I could figured that a few years before that (when Ace faced Jinbe) Ace is a novice with his fruit hence his tangibility wasn't on par with said Crocodile. But I still can't see how they would fight on equal term if Jinbe can't hit Ace at all. No, water attack won't work if Ace can just evaporate them.

As for Caribou, even with vibration. It shouldn't have hurt him. He is like Jello, he should absorb vibration.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

im sure he can use haki since it seems like a majority of new world veterans know haki

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post

The explanation does not confirm jinbe is not a haki user. In fact, it does not even touch on the subject. Fishman karate is not a replacement for haki, haki does well more than allow mere contact with fruit users.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weixiaobao View Post
    I don't particularly like your tone but the point that I brought up has absolutely nothing to do with Luffy but rather Ace and Caribou.
    Back in BW arc, Luffy slammed into Ace. So I could figured that a few years before that (when Ace faced Jinbe) Ace is a novice with his fruit hence his tangibility wasn't on par with said Crocodile. But I still can't see how they would fight on equal term if Jinbe can't hit Ace at all. No, water attack won't work if Ace can just evaporate them.

As for Caribou, even with vibration. It shouldn't have hurt him. He is like Jello, he should absorb vibration.
    You're mixing up stuff...

Even in the world of One Piece human bodies consist mostly of water. Logia users still have a real body as stated by Rayleigh, so it's possible and actually quite plausible that logia users can't evade the water controlling aspects of Fishman Karate. And Ace just can't evaporate the water of his own real human body, nor does Caribou turn the water into swamp which is a compound of water and soil.

Luffy is a great example because his body turned into rubber though he is not a logia user. His ability saves him from most blunt force - which is why Fishman Karate was not expected to hurt him, either.

And it's not simply a "vibration" that runs through the DF users' bodies when hit by Fishman Karate: It's a shockwave.

Back in Arabasta, Luffy slammed not only into Ace, but also into Smoker. That is proof that Logia aren't always nor automatically intangible and that the users have to activate that intangibility mode even if they're about to use their DF power to attack. That has nothing to do with haki usage or characters not fully control their DF abilities.

Crocodile is more vincible towards water than any other DF user besides Kalifa because of the nature of his DF which makes him lose his ability to become intangible on some few waterdrops. That was made clear by the second fight against Luffy at the Alubarna Palace and by the fact that Robin always had some water prepared to turn against Crocodile.

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    The explanation does not confirm jinbe is not a haki user. In fact, it does not even touch on the subject. Fishman karate is not a replacement for haki, haki does well more than allow mere contact with fruit users.
    Jinbe was able to hurt Luffy, explained why but did not state that Fishman Karate involves utilizing haki. That's why he used haki against logia users because we saw him punch Caribou. Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense.

Why would Oda leave out such a characteristic ability when he confirmed like every haki user from Amazon Lily to Fishman Island even those who were much less plot-relevant than 10th crewmember Jinbe?

And Fishman Karate was so far never linked to Haki in more than 710 chapters, was it? Like no fishman ever used both haki and Fishman Karate at the same time. So how can this fact suddenly make Jinbe become a Haki user?

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

My exact point was that the manga did not state fishman karate required haki. As far as we know fishman karate is simply a martial art like any other. In that regard haki has the exact same use for jinbe as for just about anyone else.

You on the other hand said that the explanation of fishman karate somehow confirmed jinbe was not a haki user. That is the part that does not make sense. The manga explained jinbe's martial art, not whether he had the generic ability that haki is. The manga is not necessarily obvious in regards to the haki thing. Its true that recently it has been more open in the matter however at large haki users are not necessarily obvious for us.

The manga has at large neither confirmed nor denied jinbe is a haki user. It is simply my opinion that he is. Haki is at large a generic skill which is common among high level fighters. The basic requirement or haki is at large skill and experience, both of which jinbe has. More so, fishman karate or not jinbe would still be at a disadvantage against even the most ordinary haki users without being a haki user himself. Haki does a pretty good job not only at offense but also at defense. Overall a warrior of jinbe's caliber not having haki of his own would be a rather awkward development at this point.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My exact point was that the manga did not state fishman karate required haki. As far as we know fishman karate is simply a martial art like any other. In that regard haki has the exact same use for jinbe as for just about anyone else.

You on the other hand said that the explanation of fishman karate somehow confirmed jinbe was not a haki user. That is the part that does not make sense. The manga explained jinbe's martial art, not whether he had the generic ability that haki is. The manga is not necessarily obvious in regards to the haki thing. Its true that recently it has been more open in the matter however at large haki users are not necessarily obvious for us.

The manga has at large neither confirmed nor denied jinbe is a haki user. It is simply my opinion that he is. Haki is at large a generic skill which is common among high level fighters. The basic requirement or haki is at large skill and experience, both of which jinbe has. More so, fishman karate or not jinbe would still be at a disadvantage against even the most ordinary haki users without being a haki user himself. Haki does a pretty good job not only at offense but also at defense. Overall a warrior of jinbe's caliber not having haki of his own would be a rather awkward development at this point.
    bit its not a martial art like any other

it clearly states in the manga that fishman karate manipulates the water around and inside of the target
    for all we know it does require haki to perform such an act

we dont know for sure yet

Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

My exact point was that the manga did not state fishman karate required haki.
    No, that is a false statement. It did state that a Fishman does not require Haki to make use of it. Proven by Kuroobi and Hody. Fishman Karate is a skill that is unique to Fishmen only.

You on the other hand said that the explanation of fishman karate somehow confirmed jinbe was not a haki user.
    No. I said that the explanation given by the manga concludes that Jinbe wouldn't need Haki to punch a Logia user. That's why punching a Logia user is no sign at all of Jinbe being a haki user. It's weixiaobao and you who made up the possibility that this was a sign or even a confirmation of Jinbei using haki in the first place - which still lacks evidence.

The manga has at large neither confirmed nor denied jinbe is a haki user.
    .... and going by this there's even a larger number of strong characters shown that are neither denied nor confirmed to be Haki users ... Like Lucci (Rokuougan) or Ivankov. Shall we assume then that they are Haki users as well? No.

Whenever there was a haki user, Oda confirmed that in some sort of dialogue or by clearly drawing something that wouldn't make sense otherwise like Blackbeard punching Ace without touching him with his Black Hole hand. Such an event confirms that one is a haki user. But this time Jinbe's ability to punch a Logia user is already explained by him controlling water to create shockwaves that hurt DF users which are immune to blunt force - which is part of Fishman Karate.

It is simply my opinion that he is. Haki is at large a generic skill which is common among high level fighters.
    Rayleigh stated that strong fighters don't necessarily develop the ability of using haki. Nor is Haki "generic". It consists of three different and independent skills, one of them only accessible through heritage.

The basic requirement or haki is at large skill and experience
    No, Aisa and Otohime did never have large skills nor experience. They were born Haki users. And what large skills and experience did Coby have when his Haki was awaken?

Overall a warrior of jinbe's caliber not having haki of his own would be a rather awkward development at this point.
    You're stating your opinion only. Jinbe being strong without using haki would actually be damn epic. Especially as using only Busoushoku would be "a rather awkward development".
    Last edited by hoeru; July 12, 2013 at 05:48 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I always thought that Jinbe blocked Akainu's punch all the way back when after Luffy fell unconscious, was by Jinbe's Haki.
    He then ran out of stamina by the frozen shore, and that's when Jinbe finally got impaled by Akainu.

F.Karate should be considered a 'technique,' since can't normally blocked by human (Luffy), but would be stopped by DF ability (Barto).
    Not sure yet whether F.Karate can be mixed with Hak usage however.

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jojophile View Post
    I always thought that Jinbe blocked Akainu's punch all the way back when after Luffy fell unconscious, was by Jinbe's Haki.
    He then ran out of stamina by the frozen shore, and that's when Jinbe finally got impaled by Akainu.

F.Karate should be considered a 'technique,' since can't normally blocked by human (Luffy), but would be stopped by DF ability (Barto).
    Not sure yet whether F.Karate can be mixed with Hak usage however.
    so,that means haki is kinda an ability and F. karate is a technique like gear 1,2,3.. )?so,jinbe has haki when blocked akainu and his technique "F. karate " may or may not use haki?just wanted to write that down.:P

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well...
    Gear - #s are like "tech." that are being developed through the already possessed 'DF ability' of Luffy's,
    and we know that he got it since very young age. And I must add that these "Gear" moves, and "Red Hawk,"
    "Must" be inspired by Ace and his Fire Fruit, it's how significant this is for Luffy
    (in fact, you can't take this significance away from this discussion, and further plot development,
    or else you will take away the 'depth' of the Trio\Sabo childhood story).

So for F.Karate, it's also considered as a "Technique" to me, but whether there's anything underneath it, say,
    Fishermen has something else that is 'naturally' DF-like that would allow such thing, I don't know. That
    would be Oda's production.

But for blocking Akainu's attacks, however, that would be entirely on the Next level : )
    Since it looks like Oda can plan out more 'level' for the Admiral's power enhancement (this is a power-level discussion
    with Whitebeard into consideration, and I didn't thoroughly read the other thread on WB),
    if you're strong enough, you can block Akainu's attack, without any 'enhancement.' Just saying.
    But then that would be impossible considering plot development (think DBZ),
    so what I'm saying is that,

Akainu's attacks should be waaaay strong,
    but Jinbe somehow is in Water-element (Fishermen),
    Jinbe might or might not have needed to block the Magma Punch with Haki - water-based for neutralization, or water-based + F.Karate;
    but that's still not water-based + F.Karate + Haki : P
    and god knows whether Oda has panned out any "Haki levels," like in DBZ..

Again, it's not to be left clear at this point; Jinbe blocked the punch first..,
    but then we see his arm is burning still,
    then Akainu said he should pass punishment on Jinbe the traitor,
    then Marco\Vista said duck and proceeded with Haki:
    http://eatmanga.com/Manga-Scan/One-P...ece-574/page-6

Marco actually directly block the Magma, I completely forgot this scene (who knows if the magma is haki-imbedded?):
    http://eatmanga.com/Manga-Scan/One-P...ece-575/page-4

..."it's no use..!" .....???:
    http://eatmanga.com/Manga-Scan/One-P...ece-578/page-9

Isn't that, clear.. ? : D

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast