Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Free!

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Free!

Free!

Alternative Title: フリー!
    Episodes: 12
    Aired: ?
    Producers: Kyoto Animation, Lantis, Animation Do, Iwatobi High School Swimming
    Genres: Sports

Opening: "Rage on" by OLDCODEX
    Ending: "SPLASH FREE" by Haruka Nanase (Nobunaga Shimazaki), Makoto Tachibana (Tatsuhisa Suzuki), Rin Matsuoka (Mamoru Miyano), Nagisa Nazuki (Tsubasa Yonaga), Rei Ryugasaki (Daisuke Hirakawa)

Synopsis
    The story revolves around Haruka Nanase, a boy who has always loved to be immersed in water, and to swim in it. Before graduating from elementary school, he participated in a swimming tournament along with his fellow swimming club members, Makoto Tachibana, Nagisa Hazuki, and Rin Matsuoka. After achieving victory, each of the boys went their separate ways.

Time passed, and in the middle of their uneventful high school lives Rin appears and challenges Haruka to a match, showing Haruka his overwhelming power. Not wanting it to end like this, Haruka, gathers together Makoto and Nagisa once again and brings a new member named Rei Ryugazaki to create the Iwatobi High School Swimming Club in order to defeat Rin.

(Source: ANN)

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Free!

It's the best 1st episode I have seen so far in this new season. Good animation, good soundtracks, Op and especially the ED rock, as expected from KyoAni.

-The MC is a fishman.
    - The main cast have all girly names but a character of another KyoAni show is here:

Spoiler show
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't help but see this as a fanservice/high school version of Tsuritama. Replace fishing with swimming.

I still loved the premiere. This is going to become my guilty pleasure. >.>

Rewriter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    It's the best 1st episode I have seen so far in this new season. Good animation, good soundtracks, Op and especially the ED rock, as expected from KyoAni.

-The MC is a fishman.
    - The main cast have all girly names but a character of another KyoAni show is here:

Spoiler show
    Really? I mean nothing against the animation and the music but it was nothing but pure fanservice, kinda similar to K-On, just with males. K-On wasn't even all about fanservice though, while the first episode of Free gives me the feeling that it's solely to please every girl out there with hot bodies and yes, some rather gay acting guys.

This (funny) review is pretty spot on to me:

Still it's so obvious that it's plain hilarious, guess I will continue watching for now to see if the next episodes makes me laugh hard again or not.

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    I can't help but see this as a fanservice/high school version of Tsuritama. Replace fishing with swimming.

I still loved the premiere. This is going to become my guilty pleasure. >.>
    Never watched Tsuritama but if this show isn't fanservice I don't know what is Nothing wrong with enjoying it as a girl, men love hot anime females too XD
    I really have nothing against the series. With thousands of male-oriented fanservice shows out there, females deserve some too. It's nothing for the vast majority of men but that's no reason to bash the series in my opinion. Just watch and laugh (like woman probably do when they really watch such shows with female protagonists) or ignore it.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I only watched 3 shows and it was the best 1st episode for but I just finished Servant X Service and I love it. There is a lot of fanservice but I don't care and I find what they were doing pretty natural. I mean, they are childhood friends.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it really interesting how people are reacting to this. The fanservice isn't discreet here, and it's clearly aimed towards females, but I can't tell if the series has been hyped for a while or if it's just controversial. You don't see many shows like this at all--and when you think of slice of life with a cast of bishounen, a lot of them have feminine qualities that are going to attract a female audience.

On the topic of bishounen, looking at reverse harem anime/manga, that in of itself is fanservice. Girls are going to be attracted to pretty faces, and you're going to have the bad boy, the sensitive one, the childish one, the aloof one, etc. Although not a harem, Free! is already exhibiting some of these qualities, but it has added another layer of fanservice you don't typically see in a show aimed towards females. This fanservice is characteristic to something seen in shows geared towards males with panty shots and breast shots. For example, the crotch shots every time someone strips, the muscular guys (though to be fair, guys who swim alot have GREAT physiques-so KyoAni could just be keeping it real here).

I find this intriguing and seeing as Free! is adding this element of male-type fanservice aimed towards females, I can see why it would spark some conversation and even controversy around it. In a sea of male fanservice, you don't see something so overtly aimed towards females, and makes it a central component of the show. I mean, it's not like you NEVER see shirtless men showering or stripping or crotch shots in other series (I'm looking at you, HxH).

I'm also wondering if this is almost a parody of male fanservice shows.

Maybe it's because the genres of anime/manga are steering away from the "geeky male" stereotype that a series like this is able to thrive.
    Last edited by kindredxiuxiu; July 05, 2013 at 04:00 PM.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bishounen is the new trend in anime. Studio's seem to have realized that women will watch anime about attractive men. The first BD for Uta no Prince-sama's second season sold just over 28,000 copies, comparable to Sword Art Online's sales. Bishounen anime still only make up a fraction of total programming, but the market seems to be developing. Free is probably KyoAni's attempt to establish themselves with the Comiket scene. Even shows that are not explicitly female oriented, bishounen anime, are starting to use bishies. Psyco-Pass comes to mind, for example. The creator of Uta np Prince-sama contributed character designs for Samurai Flamenco, one of the upcoming Fall Noitamana shows.

Most of the controversy about Free has been KyoAni fans pissed off they are doing bishounen, instead of bishoujo anime. Every new KyoAni show is controversial. Fans inevitably whine that they are not making a sequel to a popular older series. Lucky Star 2, Haruhi 3, FMP 3, etc. The bishies just made it a little worse.

I'm not watching Free, nor do I plan on trying it.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mango-chan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Away from all the excited ladies watching Free! for the fanservice on other parts of the internet, I feel like it should be said that it's really only as fabulous as you make it for anyone on the fence about about giving the show a shot. You can either see male fanservice, or a bunch of bros on a swim team and the occasional amusing poor choice of camera angling. /devilsadvocate

Haruka being a never-nude that lives on grilled fish and toast is something I never saw coming. And his attitude reminds me of Oreki from Hyouka. Hm.
    Looking forward to next week's episode with more of that awesome dubstep and some crazy action packed swimming sequence that's like Prince of Tennis in a pool.

Auto-correct is a double edged sword.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Asclepius's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, this seems to be a little spoiler about the story, published in one of those anime magazines.

Spoiler show

Btw, if i had to use one word to describe this anime, i'd use... fluffy.

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Funny curiosity posted by m-y-b-l-u-e-s:
    The ending has a scene almost identical to a scene in a video by the K-pop band BigBang
    Spoiler show

Last edited by Asclepius; July 08, 2013 at 06:52 AM.

Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

Jesus Christ Haru. /facepalm

Episode 2 delivered with more dubstep and swimming, along with too many hilarious scenes to count. Gou's gun show goggles.... my sides.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mango-chan View Post
    Spoiler show

Jesus Christ Haru. /facepalm

Episode 2 delivered with more dubstep and swimming, along with too many hilarious scenes to count. Gou's gun show goggles.... my sides.
    HAHAHAHA
    I loved that scene! Now i agree that Haru is a fish.
    I liked the second episode.
    The reason for Haru to stop swimming competitively is lame, but it's the perfect reason for the Fujoshi to ship them.
    Am i hearing girls typing fanfictions about them spending time together during the end of the year? Yes, i am.

---------- Post added July 11, 2013 at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was July 10, 2013 at 07:40 PM ----------

Look at the promoting image.

---------- Post added July 16, 2013 at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was July 11, 2013 at 02:23 AM ----------

So...
    The image that i posted earlier about a possible spoiler is actually from a light novel with prequel story about the boys.
    It happens during their elementary school time. It's really dark and serious.
    Spoiler show

I made a thread at the Light Novel section for it with the long summaries that i found. It's called High Speed!
    In case anyone is interested to read.

Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of the way, Melon-chan, that's Haru's barrel now. I wonder what the odds are of that LN becoming an OVA? It looks pretty dramatic.

Glasses-pusher finally arrives in episode 3 surprisingly tsundere and nerdy, pregnant with Nagisa's child or something appearently with that "Take responsibility, b-b-b-baka!" line. Also for once Haruka didn't randomly start stripping to get into any body of water available but is still sick with runningjoke-itus. Same goes for Gou, who can't resist those sweet deltoids and traps. Literally a female equivalent of the guy that's constantly getting nosebleeds over a nice pair of sweater balloons.

I feel bad for immediately thinking of Free! after seeing this image. (South Park reference)
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by Mango-chan; July 18, 2013 at 03:51 PM.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, episode 4 was pure fanservice. I loved it.
    Really funny to me.
    And the kitten is back!!!

Bad news: no episode next week (July 31st)

---------- Post added August 07, 2013 at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous post was July 25, 2013 at 06:43 AM ----------

Free! is back this week (august 7th).

Some pics from the posters spreaded at Ikebukuro station in Japan
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by Asclepius; August 07, 2013 at 01:48 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Awww. Episode 6 was so adorable and arguably my favorite so far! Dat almost kiss (aka almost CPR), and Rei's embarassing story

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Every time I have a bad day I'm going to replay Haruka's love story.

I'm let down Haruka didn't get to give Makoto CPR, he mentally prepared himself to cheat on Water-chan for nothing.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast