Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)

View Poll Results: what do you think of the verdict?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • i agree with the verdict

4 33.33%
  • i disagree with the verdict

5 41.67%
  • either i am split or i dont feel i know what really happened

0 0%
  • i dont care

3 25.00%
New Reply
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

Zimmerman had called the police before the shooting, and an officer had already been dispatched. He ended the call to the police at 7:15PM, the first officer was on the scene at 7:17PM. Zimmerman told the dispatcher that he had lost sight of Martin, and was pursuing. The dispatcher specifically told him not to do that. Zimmerman had called the police from his car. Had he waited for the officer, locked safely in his car, he would not have been assaulted by Martin, and would not have opened fire. Whatever his reasoning, Zimmerman is guilty of egregiously bad decision making, putting himself directly in harms way. The entire episode could have been avoided if Zimmerman had just stayed in the damn car. He was only assaulted by Martin after he disregarded the police dispatcher's advice, recklessly following an unknown individual (on foot) through the neighborhood.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Was he not allowed to be legitimately scared? Zimmerman at that point experienced what anyone at that point would when having a strange guy 4 inches taller than him beating him up.
    By law, no, fear should have had nothing to do with the situation. He had already called the police, an officer was on the way, and he had specifically been told not to pursue Martin. Zimmerman's only responsibility at that point was to get himself to safety, and wait for an officer to arrive. Zimmerman had called from his car, and could have simply locked the doors and waited. Zimmerman had no business pursuing Martin on his own, by doing so he put himself in harms way. No matter who was at fault, or the legal outcome, the entire situation was avoidable. Zimmerman need not ever have been assaulted. Had he stayed in the car, like the police dispatcher asked, he would not have been beat up, and never would have pulled his gun.
    Last edited by Kaiten; September 02, 2013 at 10:22 AM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree, the situation was entirely avoidable (it took extremely poor judgement from both of them for the situation to get to that point). I meant to talk about specifically the moment the confrontation started though, about what zimmerman was supposed to do once the situation got to that point.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The question of race centers on whether Zimmerman's actions would have been the same, if Martin had been white, Asian, or Indian. Despite reports to the contrary, there was nothing thug about Martin's dress that night. Millions of young adults and teens, of all races, dress that way. I frequently wear a hoody, does that make me "thug"? Racism was not merely a media contrivance. Racism was a legitimate concern raised by the black community based on the facts of the case. Would Zimmerman's actions that night have been the same if Martin had not been black?

Zimmerman's own ethnic background should not be a factor in the discussion. Minorities can (and frequently are) be racist themselves. Racial identity can be quite complicated for mixed race individuals. There is no way of knowing how Zimmerman identified himself, or his views on others. He might not even be overtly racist. He might have panicked subconsciously seeing an unknown, young black male walking through the neighborhood. We will never know for sure what he was thinking. There is no reason to dismiss race, though, as nothing more than a media creation. I often dress in a very similar manner (similar hoody, similar pants, similar shoes) to how Martin was dressed that night, except that I am white, brown hair, and dark blue eyes. If Zimmerman had seen me walking through the neighborhood at 7PM, there is almost no chance he even calls the police.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I completely agree, the situation was entirely avoidable (it took extremely poor judgement from both of them for the situation to get to that point). I meant to talk about specifically the moment the confrontation started though, about what zimmerman was supposed to do once the situation got to that point.
    Again, no, fear should not be a factor. Zimmerman should not have put himself in that situation. Having irresponsibly put himself in a dangerous situation, his actions can not be excused by any such mitigating factors. If he was scared, he should not have put himself in such a dangerous situation in the first place.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Hoodies can be seen as "thug" if the hood is worn. I'm not saying it is, but I'm saying that's how some people would think. Depending on how Martin looked and walked, it's quite likely that mixed with prejudice towards teh blacks, Zimmerman jumped to conclusion and decided to become Batman. Main reason why Zimmerman's ethnicity is brought up is because people continuously say he was white, making it about white vs. black when Zimmerman was Hispanic, if I recall.

Could Zimmerman have fought back? He could have hit Martin with the gun if possible to get him off. Is there any indication Martin tried to kill Zimmerman or was he trying to incapacitate Zimmerman?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

"Funny", in France we just had a reverse case (a 67 years old libanian killing a white delinquent who tried to rob his jewelry) and it is making a lot of noise too.
    I fear Marine will be very happy with the results of Front National in next year local elections...

New Reply
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10