Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)

View Poll Results: what do you think of the verdict?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • i agree with the verdict

    4 33.33%
  • i disagree with the verdict

    5 41.67%
  • either i am split or i dont feel i know what really happened

    0 0%
  • i dont care

    3 25.00%
New Reply
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 140

Thread: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

  1. #46
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    Belgium
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    Same affair, different view: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83438026/
    I don't know how reliable is that video (they are going way too far for me ...) ...

    Media sure is good at manipulating people ... be it one way or the other
    Last edited by zelllogan; August 07, 2013 at 09:43 AM.

  2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  3. #47
    Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member thsv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    36
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    277
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    I was going to pick apart several posts but there's just so much wrong in this thread I don't know where to start. So I'm going to quote John Oliver who summed up the true tragedy here.

    An Adult shot a boy. That is the real problem here.

  4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  5. #48
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Igirisu
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    Quote Originally Posted by thsv View Post
    I was going to pick apart several posts but there's just so much wrong in this thread I don't know where to start. So I'm going to quote John Oliver who summed up the true tragedy here.

    An Adult shot a boy. That is the real problem here.
    Trayvon was a 20 year old adult.

  6. #49
    MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    Quote Originally Posted by faintsmile1992 View Post
    Trayvon was a 20 year old adult.
    He was a 17 - a teenager technically.

    That said, it's legal to goad someone into attacking you in Florida and then shoot them.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

  7. #50
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    Quote Originally Posted by faintsmile1992 View Post
    Trayvon was a 20 year old adult.
    Umm, >___< yeah. If you guys are misinform, look into the case first before saying anything one way or another. Most people have their info by tertiary sources by that I meant not even from other people who already are bias.

  8. #51
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,520
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    Quote Originally Posted by faintsmile1992 View Post
    Trayvon was a 20 year old adult.
    ... he was seventeen. Where did you get this info from?

  9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  10. #52
    Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member thsv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    36
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    277
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    Quote Originally Posted by faintsmile1992 View Post
    i have more taste than to follow show trials, which is what this was because of the silly media circus.

    Nonetheless I couldn't help but notice Zimmerman was described as 'white' when he is mixed race like Obama and of Afro-Peruvian descent.

    ---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

    The correct term for how the media handled Zimmerman was 'implicit whiteness'. Even though Zimmerman wasn't white, either anthropologically or by the 'social identity' sense of the word (he was visibly mixed race), he was purposefully presented as such so that white people were implicitly manipulated - not explicitly goaded - to take Zimmerman's side... "let's you and him fight!".

    Whilst support for Trayvon Martin was drummed up in a far cruder fashion by showing him as a 12 year old brat or something instead of a 20 year old gang member - though its maybe not so much difference if you think how old American blacks often are when they first join gangs. Someone looking like 12uo Trayvon might've owned his first gun the week after those innocent-looking photos were taken, because that's about the age lads get initiated into gangs - and yea lads that age in that kind of culture really do kill. Pictures of Trayvon looking innocent might sway affluent white people who believe in preserving children from anything nasty or harmful, but on their own doorstep exist cultures with different values than their own. Way more innocent-looking black kids that age (let alone Trayvon's actual age) are killed by other blacks with firearms than are by white gun owners, but big media can't turn those stories into a race relations headline.

    Trayvon died the way his gang culture sees as honourable and authentic and real, I don't think he wanted to be remembered as some little kid given those other photos of 'No Limit Nigga'. Just compare the following photos to see how Trayvon saw himself in contrast to how the telly makes him look.




    You understand what a generalisation is, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by faintsmile1992 View Post
    Trayvon was a 20 year old adult.

  11. #53
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    Trayvon case, itself, is boring. What interesting is how the police handle it and the people reaction afterward. As an immigrant to this country, sometimes, I fell into thinking racism doesn't really happen all that much. And then cases like this happen, and people showed their true colors.

    The right wings said the liberal media misinform the people. But look at where their rhetoric led them. They excited a significant population with racial motivations. From the getgo, Trayvon is a thug and deserve to die. Zimmerman is held as hero of the people (at best he is just a person who commit a fethal mistake that wasn't out of intentionally malice), It is just so fuck up.

    Also, maybe it isn't the gun fault. It is the American people's fault, irresponsible as fuck. Unlimited Unregulated gun right = freedom?? Well look at the Philippine and you learn a thing or two when you are going down that path. I would encourage this sort of behavior if you live in the land of Drug Cartel Mexico (with absolute gun ban). But hell, you live in Florida. By that I meant, guns maybe necessary. But people's attitude about guns must be change. Some of these laws must be change too.
    Last edited by weixiaobao; August 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM.

  12. #54
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthforge View Post
    He was a 17 - a teenager technically.

    That said, it's legal to goad someone into attacking you in Florida and then shoot them.
    Well, technically by the time the fight started it was legal for either of them to kill the other.

  13. #55
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, technically by the time the fight started it was legal for either of them to kill the other.
    Not quite, if Trayvon was the killer, it wouldn't make the news. Most likely he would be lock up and maybe charge for manslaughter. No one would donate and his family probably couldn't bail him out.

    Is violent a reality within the black community? Sure. And that does change the perception of society viewing upon blacks. The reason for these violent can be complex. But justly or unjustly, the fact is that police would treat Trayvon much different than that of Zimmerman.

    Secondly, the law aside (since controversial laws are constantly in debate and can be change), isn't that imply the guy with the gun has more right than the guy without. Since it is legal for either of them kill another once the fight started. Wouldn't the guy with the gun has more chance to come out alive?? Where is the right of the guy without the gun??

  14. #56
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    Quote Originally Posted by weixiaobao View Post
    Not quite, if Trayvon was the killer, it wouldn't make the news. Most likely he would be lock up and maybe charge for manslaughter. No one would donate and his family probably couldn't bail him out.

    Is violent a reality within the black community? Sure. And that does change the perception of society viewing upon blacks. The reason for these violent can be complex. But justly or unjustly, the fact is that police would treat Trayvon much different than that of Zimmerman.

    Secondly, the law aside (since controversial laws are constantly in debate and can be change), isn't that imply the guy with the gun has more right than the guy without. Since it is legal for either of them kill another once the fight started. Wouldn't the guy with the gun has more chance to come out alive?? Where is the right of the guy without the gun??
    I think it is hard to say. The opposite scenario would have been martin beating zimmerman to death with his bare fists... The scenario itself could be described in many ways so things would depend on who gets the right tone for whatever they want to say. So they could make him out to be a hero for killing his stalker batman style or they could make him out to be a dangerous teen who beat the crap out of a citizen in charge of the neighborhood watch.

    I don't think the law really defends the guy with the gun more. Stand your ground is supposed to be about lethal force being acceptable in a situation where you feel threatened. I don't think it deals with the fairness of the situation either...

  15. #57
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I think it is hard to say. The opposite scenario would have been martin beating zimmerman to death with his bare fists... The scenario itself could be described in many ways so things would depend on who gets the right tone for whatever they want to say. So they could make him out to be a hero for killing his stalker batman style or they could make him out to be a dangerous teen who beat the crap out of a citizen in charge of the neighborhood watch.
    Why don't we look at the facts. The police drug tested Trayvon Martin. The police didn't drug test Zimmerman. It is already implied that they are more suspicious of Trayvon. Beside Zimmerman is the "neighborhood watch" so they would assume the so call "stalking" is rational and has probable cause because after all Zimmerman ended up dead. How can Trayvon be a hero? They would out all his kick out of home, school suspension stuffs.

    Quote Quote:
    I don't think the law really defends the guy with the gun more. Stand your ground is supposed to be about lethal force being acceptable in a situation where you feel threatened. I don't think it deals with the fairness of the situation either...
    Like I said, I am arguing about the philosophy of it and not the law itself. Because, if we are talking about the law, people will act at the moment on their feeling of "being threaten" even if it is or it isn't rational and or actually fit into Stand your ground. That meant the other person will ended up dead (one of the worst sentence).

    The law, itself, is flaw because it encourage actions. And people are idiot. They would do dumb stuffs even if they can or cannot get away with it. I cited one of the case on the below thread, where a guy shoot another guy over loud music and cited stand your ground. The issue isn't about whether he will or will not get away with it, the issue is that he think he can get away with it. Once in a while, there are cases about people shooting each others for the most trivia things and citing stand your ground because they think they can get away with it. I know I am being redundant, but I will recite once more. Personally if I am caught in such a conflict, I don't care if my murderer will or will not get away with it, I am rather that I don't die.

    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...Trayvon-Martin

  16. #58
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Igirisu
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    I didn't bother digging the facts because what interested me was the whole media circus, not the case. Though I don't see the difference between 17 and 20 in this case, and neither would most blacks, Trayvon wasn't a child for god's sake, and he didn't look like one in the 'No Limits Nigga' picture.

  17. #59
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    27,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    Never let facts get in the way of a good opinion. Couldn't agree more

  18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  19. #60
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,520
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

    Quote Originally Posted by faintsmile1992 View Post
    I didn't bother digging the facts because what interested me was the whole media circus, not the case. Though I don't see the difference between 17 and 20 in this case, and neither would most blacks, Trayvon wasn't a child for god's sake, and he didn't look like one in the 'No Limits Nigga' picture.
    If you don't even look for the facts, then you have no right to comment or state anything as fact, whether it's about someone's age or what happened. A lot of people see the difference between 17 and 20, likely due to law.

    Of course Trayvon wasn't a child. Does the media care? No. Many either painted him as an innocent child killed by Zimmerman due to bad reporting or bias to sell more papers, or many painted him as a bad person and made Zimmerman look like a hero or an innocent person. Why? It's all about profits. It's not shocking media isn't entirely honest.

New Reply
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts