Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: drama between Oda and Mashima (fairy tail)

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: drama between Oda and Mashima (fairy tail)

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    Where are the Strawhats "treasure hunters", and where did Mashima say something about pirates?
    Pirates do what? Raid and steal treasures and gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    ive seen animes take shots at other animes

but it mostly seems lighthearted and strictly for comedic purposes
    Those cameos and references would be there for a comedic effect as in Hayate no Gotoku or Binbougami ga!. Don't see the beef, "fairies" could have been used to avert from exposing their identities too fast with an obvious descriptor "dwarfs".

I see neither as a jab/attack on the other author and why would they? They've got better stuff to do than play child games.
    Firm but Fair

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

To sum this "drama" up... So-called fans have been comparing superficially general tropes and memes that like every story so far has, and many of them come to the false conclusion Mashima copys off from Oda. What happens next? Shitstorm (for trolls it's candystorm, of course)! And that is the "beef" we have.

This was ignited by those who either hate One Piece or Fairy Tail or both, and catalyzed by dupable readers who aren't willing to look behind stupid accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    Pirates do what? Raid and steal treasures and gold.
    But hunting treasures is only one part of what Luffy and his friends do, don't they? Most other pirates shown in One Piece aren't that eager for treasures and gold as it seems, either, except for Buggy and Nami and except for that one unique treasure.

If one really wanted to place a jab by calling One Piece pirates "treasure hunters", it would be a miss.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member joshua019's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really see the two them tarnishing their work, especially oda since OP is going to be his one and only work, mashima just had 6 chapter in two weeks thats hard work. If it is a beef oda had, for mashima ripping him off I have seen imitation greater that what mashima have done cough*bleach*.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

To sum this "drama" up... So-called fans have been comparing superficially general tropes and memes that like every story so far has, and many of them come to the false conclusion Mashima copys off from Oda. What happens next? Shitstorm (for trolls it's candystorm, of course)! And that is the "beef" we have.

This was ignited by those who either hate One Piece or Fairy Tail or both, and catalyzed by dupable readers who aren't willing to look behind stupid accusations.

But hunting treasures is only one part of what Luffy and his friends do, don't they? Most other pirates shown in One Piece aren't that eager for treasures and gold as it seems, either, except for Buggy and Nami and except for that one unique treasure.

If one really wanted to place a jab by calling One Piece pirates "treasure hunters", it would be a miss.
    mangastream could just be trying to generate hits and attention to their site

think about it

if they fabricate some story like this they will initially generate a ton of attention and thus page views for their site

which translates into more money from their ads

Banned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any references here, subtle or not. Went to read 343 again, even if though was sure there was no such thing in it. Whoever wrote that shit is either trolling or a complete idiot. If there is any "beef" between those two, it certainly isn't reflected in recent chapters. I googled it a little and I can honestly say I can't believe this crap swirled up so much dust...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

http://orojackson.com/threads/one-pi...-serious.1571/

Recently, lots of One Piece elements can be "connected" to Fairy Tail, whose author Hiro Mashima is a huge fan of Oda. But are things going well between them?
    Warning: If you aren't up-to-date with One Piece OR Fairy Tail, this article may contain spoilers.

Oda has recently shown a lot of content in the wonderful Dressrosa arc that Mangastream considers to be taking "jabs" at the popular manga Fairy Tail. A not so exhaustive list would be;

1. Luffy's name being featured as "Lucy", one of the protagonists in the series Fairy Tail.
    2. A Colosseum tournament, although debatable some see this as a trademark Fariy Tail "thing".
    3. Inclusion of "Fairies" (though now cleared to be Dwarfs) in the story. Even though they are still considered "Fairies" by the general public of Dressrosa.
    4. The "Fairies" like to steal, something that is being thought of as Oda retaliating to the little things Hiro Mashima gets "influenced" (or blatantly steals) from One Piece.

And what sparks it all even more, is this line from Franky in Chapter 713, on page 15; "Ming explaining to me why are we meeting at a place that sounds like something out of a Fairy Tale!?." This line can be translated differently, and can also end up as "What kind of crazy fairy tale is this" according to a Mangastream staff member.

Now, these things could have been nothing, no one even noticed it all (ok, maybe some fans did laugh over the little Lucy joke), but what has ignited more interest into a possible beef between Eiichiro Oda and Hiro Mashima is the recent Fairy Tail Chapter 343. We all already thought that Gildarts was a complete copy of Shanks, even having the same lost body part, but Mashima took it a step further with Chapter 343 and tried to display a Village of Giants, a very popular topic in One Piece since years, fans consider the latest Village of Giants shown in Fairy Tail to be a "cheap" and "bad" idea copy of Elbaf (the country of giants spoken about in One Piece).

And to add to the bad rip of Elbaf, three treasure hunters (from a "treasure hunting" guild) were featured in Fairy Tail chapter 343. Well well, we all know what the One Piece pirates go after, do we not? It seems that Mashima took a jab back at One Piece by featuring these three treasure hunters, and guess what? One of the three has a sword...and another of the three has a "sniper" rifle.

1. The three were introduced, and according to Mangastream, their expressions were some that were commonly used in One Piece (expressions on Characters). I personally tried to confirm this, but you must forgive me for not being able to do this due to the length of One Piece, even going through 25 chapters to match the expressions is a lot of work.

2. The following dialogue from Natsu and Grey, is considered to be a jab at One Piece.
    NatsuGreyTreasure.png

3. On page 19, after the treasure hunters start getting away, Grey says "What happened to those super moral things that they were lecturing us about..."

Since when does Grey use "super" in his dialogues? And there was nothing so "moral" that those treasure guild members said, this is also seen as a jab towards One Piece, since "super" is something commonly found in Franky's dialogues, and the "moral lectures" are a part and parcel of One Piece.

4. One page 20, after having mentioned about "treasure" hunters, Minerva says "Don't concern yourself with those frivolous thieves." Now now, aren't they a guild as well? Why term them specially as "thieves" and "treasure hunters" and not mages? I don't get the logic behind it.

Well, at the end of the day until it's actually confirmed, it's all just rumor and gossip. But are these little hints just co-incidences or are they something more than that? Are things really heating up between Eiichiro Oda and Hiro Mashima? Let's hope not, or else it's going to end badly for Hiro Mashima!

===============
    Update: 18 July 2013
    ===============
    @Anthony posted a interesting picture compilation of two characters, Baachus from Fairy Tail and Ideo from One Piece.

Banned 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    thats what i want to know, let me try to do some research on this,

i do remember zoros sword being stolen by a "fairy" which i think turned out to be a dwarf

but i dont remember any insults....

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

so apparantly this is what has been labeled as mashimas "return fire" in this feud

Spoiler show
    lol also, Zoro slayed a dragon in PH arc xD

Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Bacchus is a drunk boxer, obviously derived from eastern movies like those Jackie Chan appeared in his earlier career. Therefore he consumes a hell lot of booze.

Ideo is obviously a reuse of Lucci, with a mix of a western fighter.

Yeah both of them have some facial painting, but the facial expressions is again more proof that they're obviously not based on each other. Another bullcrap comparison good for nothing - again of course with an anime picture in it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
    lol also, Zoro slayed a dragon in PH arc xD
    To be fair, that part was continuation of Oda's early oneshot manga Monsters, which was published in 1994.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

Banned 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fox666 View Post
    To be fair, that part was continuation of Oda's early oneshot manga Monsters, which was published in 1994.
    I see. I just gave him something to use for comparison. I don't think Oda would degrade himself to such kiddie play. Btw, gime a link to read that published manga. I thought Oda only made One Piece and intends to make manga about robots or sth in the future.

Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
    I see. I just gave him something to use for comparison. I don't think Oda would degrade himself to such kiddie play. Btw, gime a link to read that published manga. I thought Oda only made One Piece and intends to make manga about robots or sth in the future.
    Look out for "Wanted" - https://www.google.com/search?q=eiichiro+oda+wanted

It's a collection of one shots incl. "Monsters" (the one with Ryuma slaying a dragon) and the first Romance Dawn pilot chapter published in Akamaru Jump. shucks, it's the second Romance Dawn pilot chapter, sry.
    Last edited by hoeru; August 03, 2013 at 10:13 AM.

12. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bacchus is a drunk boxer, obviously derived from eastern movies like those Jackie Chan appeared in his earlier career. Therefore he consumes a hell lot of booze.

Ideo is obviously a reuse of Lucci, with a mix of a western fighter.

Yeah both of them have some facial painting, but the facial expressions is again more proof that they're obviously not based on each other. Another bullcrap comparison good for nothing - again of course with an anime picture in it.
    i also didnt feel like that character was a reaction or reply to mashima

the referring to fairies as theivesand focua on making fun of treasure hunters is the only real head scratcher for me....

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, guys, don't be too quick to say that it's some kind of bad jabs between Oda and Mashima. I mean, these guys know each other. Well, they may not be that close but they're both legendary mangakas (Oda for One Piece, and Mashima for Rave and FT). It's like rivalry, but these guys have been professional mangakas for so long that it's quite unfair for us to summarize their actions as the result of a feud. After all, what do we know of them?

So maybe each of them did use some references from the other's work, but if you think about it carefully, what are the benefits that either of them would earn from it? So, Luffy's now referred to as Lucy in the tournament, so what? So, there are giants and treasure hunters in FT's current arc, so what?

There's nothing in there that makes OP fans think less of FT or vice versa. If anything at all, I'd say that it's more like they're endorsing/advertising the other's manga. Which is, quite frankly, far (if not opposite) from "having any beef" between them.

Their timing is even impeccable such that if you ask me, it's more like they've agreed to do this for:
    (1) the convenience of continuing with their respective stories;
    (2) making us fans curious about some kind of mangaka-feud intrigue (thereby increasing popularity, increasing sales, and maintaining their serialization); and
    (3) showing that they're also fans of each other's work (++respect!).
    Besides, you're forgetting we're dealing with fictional stories here where dragons, fairies, dwarves, giants, magic, powers, and death-matches are in fact quite common references from classic fairy tale and fantasy stories. If it should boil down to plagiarism issues, I'd hate to say it but, both Oda and Mashima should both be responsible, and the long-dead Grimm Brothers should be given proper credit for parts of their stories. Worse comes to worst, both mangas would be ruined and later on, forced to wrap-up in an arc or cancelled. Do you guys want that?

Right, I thought so.
    Last edited by LazyPrinzez; August 12, 2013 at 08:52 AM.

Yup, I'm seriously lazy... T_T

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.... methinks in the Wa-no-kuni arc Kinemon will finally get his revenge for Ryuma by killing Igneel and Nami will be able to steal Lucy's Zodiac keys so she can control the weather using magic.

Seriously though, I don't see people's fascination with trying to imply dots exist just so they can be connected for the sake of drama. Regardless of whether or not there's any kind of "hidden" connection purposefully put there by the writers, its irrelevant in the context of the actual manga (plural) since it doesn't really diminish either the manga or the authors. This isn't much different than Hollywood gossip. Don't get me wrong: for people who enjoy such discussion just for the sake of discussion. But unless either of the Authors come out and say anything about it, it should be taken as seriously as any other conspiracy theory.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner vansonbee's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blush Re: drama between Oda and Mashima (fairy tail)

Instead of fake drama by fans, any news of possible crossover? One Piece x Fairy Tail happening will make me happy

Really wish both guys are friends.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast