Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The tournament needs to end

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The tournament needs to end

Quote Originally Posted by danzouismadara View Post
    why would you not want to see luffy whoop ass left and right against guys from the strongest part of the sea?
    Until I see him whoop someone's who is worth it, then I wouldn't mind him whooping fodder's ass, but the fact is that since Shabaody intro, Luffy didn't face any decent villain, and instead faced a shit drugged punk, and an annoying ass scientist... So it's not Don Shitjao or whatever who's gonna quench my thirst to see Luffy in an epic fight

Since Shabaody arc, we didn't have a single great fight involving Luffy, it was Luffy getting pwned all the time (despite some epic moments, like WB for example), but most of the time Luffy was fodderized there, so how many years has it passed since Luffy's last memorable fight ?

Fights are part of Shonen, so inb4 the whole OP is more than fights, anyone who says to me here that Luffy's great fights don't matter that much to him, I'd call him an hypocrite right away because we all know that ain't true

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member BlkHorus's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zehahaha View Post
    Until I see him whoop someone's who is worth it, then I wouldn't mind him whooping fodder's ass, but the fact is that since Shabaody intro, Luffy didn't face any decent villain, and instead faced a shit drugged punk, and an annoying ass scientist... So it's not Don Shitjao or whatever who's gonna quench my thirst to see Luffy in an epic fight

Since Shabaody arc, we didn't have a single great fight involving Luffy, it was Luffy getting pwned all the time (despite some epic moments, like WB for example), but most of the time Luffy was fodderized there, so how many years has it passed since Luffy's last memorable fight ?

Fights are part of Shonen, so inb4 the whole OP is more than fights, anyone who says to me here that Luffy's great fights don't matter that much to him, I'd call him an hypocrite right away because we all know that ain't true
    I gotta disagree with you there buddy. To say that there hasn't been any decent fights since the SA arc is fair, but its because I think you are missing the scope of what Oda was setting in the SA arc. To be literal, the SA arc didn't even have Luffy fight a decent fight - he got owned on SA and lost his crew. Oda had to set the tone to a larger scale and start showing more of the world and the major powers that work in it along with just how tough of a road it is to be the pirate king. I mean if anything, Thriller Bark was the start of showing just perilous the seas are in OP and why Luffy ran into many pirates that fled the grand line for one reason or another. Early on, he faced pirates that had been pirates for quite some time, but were not good enough to make it to even get to the red line and such. He fought them and defeated them, but the theme of those pirates saying that the grandline would beat all his expectations and swallow up him and his crew to loose everything started to be made more realistic from Thriller Bark on. It took Luffy everything to beat Moria and still he barely won to make Moria return the shadows. From there on, SA showed that Luffy alone was not enough to handle the threats that would face the crew from that point on...and the example of the pacifista was perfect. After that, it was a mere show of how resilent Luffy was to bounce back and still go into worst odds all to save his brother. At the same time, his actions and those of other pirates came to light in changing the world. From SA on, I think Oda is really setting the tone for more global impacts as Luffy is no longer considered a rookie pirate that has just gotten lucky. Now it is he has to chart out his own path at the same time deal with consequences and actions that are shaping the age of OP. And that takes expanding the interacting characters and situations to more than just what Luffy encounters directly.

I do agree with that point that Luffy hasn't actually fought someone tough in the NW so far, but what has happened due to these island encounters is that Luffy is paving a way and making a name for himself. ALso, these actions are going to play a bigger role since he is starting to threaten to take Yonkou territory, destabilize military supply from underground sources (those ran through DD), and take on getting a logia df that many in the world are vying for. Luffy's actions are starting to carry more weight than what was perceived in the first half. Even his actions in the first half are effecting how things are viewed in the current age of OP. I mean even bounty hunters are challenging pirates to just attack Impel Down if they want their comrades back so much since Luffy did it.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

what if the prize(mera mera fruit) in this tournament is a replica(fake fruit)? and what if (ESPADA/PALEAR)the guy on the SPADE(ACE's crew name) seat,who i believe is a swordsman,already ate the real one? don't you think that this will be the perfect time for zoro to learn how to cut fire?

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

@BlkHorus

Let me put it straight : I don't care, you see I'm in a state where I want to see Luffy get a real fight and some real action, set up the tone or not, I don't care at this moment.

I'll give you one good example of manga with a fast pace, and epic battles : Toriko. Nearly each chapter end up with " OMG " or " WTFFF "... There's some chapters without any big thing going on there, but they're short and go straight to the point, no unnecessary plots and most of all, no characters goofing around and shit

So yeah, I expected at least Oda to give us some decent fights in FI, but no, he decided to bring the worst villains out there (they would've been perfect has it been before the timeskip)

So honestly, all these dragging in the current arc, I hate it...

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is Toriko being mentioned? It's an overrated, boring manga and apart from the mangakas being friend, has nothign to do with One Piece. If you're gonna bring in another manga, use a good one like FMA....

Anyway, I don't think the tournament needs to end. It's not that bad for me, but the lack of action/slow pace gets annoying. I just wanna see Luffy kick ass though. Actually, the only reason why I'm invested in the tournament is to see Luffy fight, especially with him not being able to use his gomu gomu. Luffy, Zoro, or Sanji are the only reasons why I'd even care about the tournament.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

" OMG " or " WTFFF [is this shit ]"...
    Does the tournament have to go or is it only the first phase that's so annoying, because the second round will certainly have some very strong characters to show off. And hey we get to see a lot of support characters get panels in Toriko too. Torikos last fight was overwhelmingly dramatic and long too. :P
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact that Luffy is the only Strawhat participating won't make next rounds more interesting unfortunately

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    The fact that Luffy is the only Strawhat participating won't make next rounds more interesting unfortunately

I kinda like to see some more strawhats infighting like Usopp vs Luffy. It would be cool to see Sanji, Zoro, Franky, and Luffy compete at some point and each really really want to win. That would be awesome, actually all of the strawhats would be awesome.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

I think it is great that people criticizing the current "tournament" development, because people are invested in One Piece's quality. But a lot of people take a lot of liberty with their assumption of what Oda's want to do or what the tournament meant to be.

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weixiaobao View Post
    I think it is great that people criticizing the current "tournament" development, because people are invested in One Piece's quality. But a lot of people take a lot of liberty with their assumption of what Oda's want to do or what the tournament meant to be.
    Well, it's not like the tournament doesn't serve a purpose, considering the shitstorm that is awaiting Luffy in Dressrosa, there's a huge chance that these guys there will ally to escape from Marines somehow, that's one. Second thing, it is also possible that this arc will give even more reason for Luffy to fight BB, let's not forget, there's still a possibility for BB to get his hand on the Mera Mera no Mi, third thing is that the purpose of the tournament was to distract Luffy, which worked obviously.

If FI had good fights, I wouldn't complain. But we didn't have anything, and it's been a long time since we saw Luffy go all out, especially now that we want to see the SH's results, especially Zoro and Luffy. So honestly, when Oda didn't even show us that, coupled with the dragging he does and multiple plots, it annoys me. For example, Oda could've showed the story of Dressrosa, but instead no, he had to skip to something else and make Franky and the toy go somewhere else... Why do that ? That's an example of dragging things (also introducing some sort of romance between Rebecca and the toy, that's dragging too, idgaf about their love story)

Also, I don't like a single character shown in the tournament, people Don Shitjao with his ridiculous vendetta, Cavenfish which is male version of Hancock etc etc, the only interesting one there is Bartolomeo anyway... It's a good thing Burgess is there, or else it would've been an absolutely shitty tournament

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll give you one good example of manga with a fast pace, and epic battles : Toriko. Nearly each chapter end up with " OMG " or " WTFFF "... There's some chapters without any big thing going on there, but they're short and go straight to the point, no unnecessary plots and most of all, no characters goofing around and shit
    You like action mangas with chapters going straight to the point without wastes? Feng Shen Ji is just like that ... Ups ... yes, this is about OP tourney.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

The Coloseum is (in my point of view) here to use Luffy's stamina and weaken him so we can see how far he can go in order to defeat DD / fight an Admiral.
    The Block D will only be 1 chapter : Cavendish hurting Rebecca hard and Luffy being angry at him => his first target in the finals, but he will be targeted by a lot of people, anyway I think that Barto will protect Luffy.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If FI had good fights, I wouldn't complain. But we didn't have anything, and it's been a long time since we saw Luffy go all out, especially now that we want to see the SH's results, especially Zoro and Luffy. So honestly, when Oda didn't even show us that, coupled with the dragging he does and multiple plots, it annoys me. For example, Oda could've showed the story of Dressrosa, but instead no, he had to skip to something else and make Franky and the toy go somewhere else... Why do that ? That's an example of dragging things (also introducing some sort of romance between Rebecca and the toy, that's dragging too, idgaf about their love story)

Also, I don't like a single character shown in the tournament, people Don Shitjao with his ridiculous vendetta, Cavenfish which is male version of Hancock etc etc, the only interesting one there is Bartolomeo anyway... It's a good thing Burgess is there, or else it would've been an absolutely shitty tournament
    Umm if you recalled the early One Piece. Luffy didn't go on all against opponent like Buggy and or Kuro. So that meant he had went to at least 3 story arcs without going all out. Krieg was similar to Hody. This is the reason why people start to be interested in One Piece until Arlong Arc.

With Big Mam and Kaidou kinda linger over the coming plot, I don't know what the effect of "going all out" will have. At least I supposed, Luffy will have to against the like of Doflamingo but I don't think he will with Don Chinjao. He may show the extend of his abilities but that battle should not be a near death battle for Luffy. This is why Oda can't show that Luffy had trouble with the like of Hody. At best Luffy vs Doflamingo would be close like Law vs Smoker but should not be a desperate battle like Luffy vs Rob Lucci. A desperate battle like that should be saving for the up coming Yonkou because if Luffy can't barely handle Doflamingo then it may took couple more story arcs to take on a Yonkou. But as it stand, with all of the hints (this tournament included) that Oda leaving. I don't think we will have the traditional isolated per island story arc (like Fishman Island). All the stories will have to link up and build up to a massive climax.

Cavendish = Hancock??? >____< I think I should reminded people that this isn't a tournament arc. Why the heck would Doflamingo keep his words even if Luffy win the tournament. Doflamingo would not hand over the devil fruit. He already did not keep his word with Law. As it stand, I don't know how stage 2 and stage 3 of this tournament played out.

Recall the Ennies Lobby arc, remember the initial match up between the CP9 and the strawhats? Nami vs Kamadori, Sanji vs Kalifa, Usopp vs Jabra. Those fights didn't end the way they started. Because of the multiple plots going on, the tournament shouldn't end the way you guys imagine it to end.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sproumfch View Post
    The Coloseum is (in my point of view) here to use Luffy's stamina and weaken him so we can see how far he can go in order to defeat DD / fight an Admiral.
    The Block D will only be 1 chapter : Cavendish hurting Rebecca hard and Luffy being angry at him => his first target in the finals, but he will be targeted by a lot of people, anyway I think that Barto will protect Luffy.
    I doubt it. As far as we have seen luffy's stamina is at large unlimited or easily replenished at large. Remember water seven? Luffy got into quite a few fights until he got to ennies lobby and even used gear 2 against blueno however his stamina was replenished thanks to meat he had in his pocket. Even during the great war the stamina issue was dealt with via ivankov miraculous hormones.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner darth volcaniz's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

This isnt about a tournament, its about a strategy game, law and doflamingo making moves, setting and springing one another's traps, etc. . . the tournament was a trap set by doflamingo to keep luffy OFF the board. and luffy sprung it with all the zeal he can have.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GumGumRep View Post
    Oda has really handled this tournament poorly. In fact, it’s become less of a tournament, and more of a poorly disguised plot device decorated with throwaway characters, and considering the amount of breaks One Piece has nowadays, Oda should really stop wasting chapters on this mess.

Block C especially is really irritating me with all the throwaway characters. Block B is guilty of throwaway characters, sure, but at least we didn’t actually know for sure who was going to win, so introducing all these characters added an element of mystery. However, with Block C, we know Luffy’s going to win, so introducing all these new characters - of which only maybe one or two we’ll see again - is just needlessly prolonging not only the tournament, but the entire arc.

I wish Oda wold just show us the Luffy vs. Chinjao fight that everyone wants to see, spend a few chapters on Block D, and then get on with the rest of the Dressrosa arc.
    so you're upset that you're seeing more characters because you wont see most again, sounds like 1 piece to me, every arc provides a new chunk of people that are only seen again after newspapers come out, aside from that we don't even know the importants forsure of the people in the tournament, they may have a part in this arc. more important than the tournament. Besides the way its been going it could just be a really long arc or for some reason i feel like they wont get to block D or if they do itll be like burgees with maybe rebecca cavendish shots

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3