Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/1/14 - 9/7/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 by cnet128 , Gintama 509 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Max Factory Figma #181: Gon Freecss

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

Max Factory Figma #181: Gon Freecss

Well guys, as promised, here’s my review of Max Factory Figma #181: Gon Freecs from (what else?) 2011-present version of Hunter x Hunter anime.

This is an action figure from Max Factory’s Figma branch that specialized in making highly detailed articulated multi-media figures. And recently, Gon and Killua got the chance to join accompanied by Kurapika this September. But our main topic today is Gon, so let’s take a look at it and see how cool he actually is.

Packaging:

Let’s start with what we see first: The box. It’s what I refer to as the compacted Figma box. It’s small and not wide as some of the more popular characters released by the company.

One thing to note is on the front there’s a small green sticker. That’s the Nippon TV logo. After all, this is a release from one of their shows. Same with the Nintendo releases I have.

We open the box and we see the plastic tray. Behind it we see this nice little background with the series logo, Gon’s name along with the Figma brand.

--------------------------

The Figure:

Now let’s take a look at the figure. First thing I noticed, it’s how tiny he is! He measures 13cm (5 inch) from feet to the top of his hair! Which is natural because he’s a 12 years old character and they tend to be smaller than teenage characters like Link or Edward here.

His articulation is as impressive as any Figma and he can pull a lot of dynamic poses. His jacket and shorts are made of hard rubber and it doesn’t hinder the articulation compared to what hard plastic does. Unfortunately the head can’t look up too high.

Faces:

Gon comes with two faces: His natural happy face, and his angry yelling face. But unlike the regular figmas, the swapping is not as easy as the rest because the peg is at an angle and not horizontally.

Accessories:

Let’s have a look at the accessories. We have:

1. A set of hands
    2. Backpack
    3. Two rods
    4. Glass and water
    5. Figma stand

Let’s start with the backpack. It’s small and made of rubber. To put it, you need to pop off one of Gon’s arms and peg it in the hole on his back and put the arm back again. The backpack got a slot on the side for the fishing rod.

Next we have the water glass for the Water Divination we saw in Heavens Arena arc. The water and glass are two separate pieces and it allows you to replicate the scene from the anime.

Next we have the iconic fishing rod. There are two of it. One is the short one used to carry around and held in the backpack. The second is the extended one used for fishing. Be VERY careful with it because it’s too thin and too brittle!

Finally we have the extra hands. Gon comes with closed fists, and here we have:

- 2 open palms
    - 2 clawed hands
    - 2 hands used to hold objects
    - 2 V sign hands
    - 1 JaJanken scissors hand

Of course, each hand works depending on what you want to do with.

Now let’s talk about the bad stuff:

1: Not enough faces. As you all know, Gon is a very expressive character and he does a lot of facial expressions throughout the series. And having two is very limited. Unfortunately this is starting to get recurring in the latest Figma releases where they don’t give enough faces to an expressive character.

2: Face swapping is annoying. Unlike the usual, Gon’s faces are inserted in an angle instead of directly forward. And with a pointy spiky hair like his, it can be annoying.

3: You can’t use the stand with the backpack.Since the backpack occupies the hole on the back, you can’t use the stand with it. There is another hole under the backpack, so ignore this.

4: QC issues. My Gon’s right legs pops off rather easily and back hole is bigger than the stand’s peg.

5: No Hunter License. One of Gon’s most important possessions and it’s not included.

6: No special effect parts. Granted, this is the Hunter Exam design and the Battle design that we saw in Greed Island and early Chimera Ants arcs and Gon didn’t have his new abilities yet. But when you have the hands meant for these attacks, it’s definitely lacking without the special effects parts like what we find in other figmas as seen below.

7: The rod is TOO fragile. You thought Link’s Master Sword is fragile? At least it doesn’t wobble when you shake it! It’s definitely scary to handle such brittle accessory like that! You can’t strain it even with the slightest touch in fear of breaking it.

Final Verdict: 8/10. It’s a very good to excellent figure, but it got some issues stopping it from being perfect as far as action figures go.

With that said, let’s have some fun!

Figma Gon is available to purchase at: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...e=FIG-IPN-5836
    Last edited by SHINOBI-03; July 22, 2013 at 02:06 PM.

2. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Max Factory Figma #181: Gon Freecss

IMO the face looks absolutely nothing like the manga or anime depictions, particularly the angry one.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it looks like an awesome action figure, very well designed (atleast in the looks department). Gon is a really cool character, the other figures you posted up look incredible as well, especially kirito and samus, actually the more I look I can't decide which one I like the best.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my first time seeing a Figma figure. I like it, although I'm not too fond of Gon's face either. Everything else is pretty spot on. The fact that you can put them in different positions like that is pretty neat.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Riruru's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen reviews for Figma toys before and I must say, it never ceases to amaze me how owning a toy you like can make you notice things like their head not moving all the way or one foot being less articulate than the other. I notice that the paint job (shading) done on the crinkles in Gon's clothes are also done really well. It would be nice if the pivot balls, have no idea what it's called and I'm not going to pretend I do, used to move all his limbs were more covered. But I think that's just a thing with almost all figma figures.

All your figures look amazing Shinobi! Great photos. If I could, I'd buy that Ed figure just for the epic face.

New Reply