Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do to improve the series?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner GumGumRep's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

What would you do to improve the series?

We all love One Piece a lot, for lots of us it's probably our favorite series. No doubt that it has it's flaws though. So, if you were the author what would you add or change?

Here are some of mine:

1. I'm make Luffy more intelligent. I don't mind that he's overall a dumbass, but since spent his whole childhood training in a dangerous forest full of wild animals I'd like it if he displayed his survival knowledge a lot more. Especially since he just spent two whole years training in the wild.

2. I'd like the specific skill set of the Strawhats to be emphasized more. Take Sanji's cooking for example. We know he's learned some new cooking tricks to help the crew grow stronger but we've only seen it once so far, and it wasn't particularly significant. Nami is the only Strawhat that regularly gets the focus she deserves when it comes to her specialty imo.

3. Bounty hunters. This is a pirate manga and we're in sore need of strong bounty hunters.

4. I want to see the Strawhats strength be less specific to just one on one fights and more applicable to all sorts of situations.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What would you do to improve the series?

add stronger people to the crew and more pirate treachery

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GomuGomu_Getsuga's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If I could change something about Luffy it would be his sexual awareness of women.
    I wouldn't do anything to change the feel of the series or his personality but I'd make Luffy at least get Hancock preggo at the end of it. I also would have made Luffy look different after the time skip, like he did on Romance Dawn. http://www.tenmanga.com/chapter/OneP...267980-49.html
    Other than that I wouldn't change anything about our hero.

I don't really feel a need for characters to die but I would kill off a few. Law, Garp, Rayleigh, Shanks, Teach and Sakazuki could all die. I might even let Luffy die as the strongest pirate in history.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GumGumRep View Post
    2. I'd like the specific skill set of the Strawhats to be emphasized more. Take Sanji's cooking for example. We know he's learned some new cooking tricks to help the crew grow stronger but we've only seen it once so far, and it wasn't particularly significant. Nami is the only Strawhat that regularly gets the focus she deserves when it comes to her specialty imo.

3. Bounty hunters. This is a pirate manga and we're in sore need of strong bounty hunters.
    I couldn't agree more with this

But on your 2. point,
    I disagree. It's always been made aware how awesome of a cook Sanji is. Same with Chopper as a Doctor, Usopp and his accuracy, Robin and her knowledge as an Archaeologist, Franky and his ability to fix things, Brook and his musician skills.

It really is just Luffy and Zoro who's skills are fighting and just... Fighting...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

One word:

Spoiler show

7. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    One word:

Spoiler show
    It's true the story is perfect and imho the best manga series ever. Like in the existence of manga.

But there's no harm in asking what you would like to add. Perhaps the term "improve" was the wrong word though.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Red Dog's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

1. a too simple minded main character like it's been said above, Luffy is an archetype, the strong idiot,typical stereotype of the shonen battle manga hero,even DB's Goku is less dumb

2. One Piece tends to be extremely formulated- The crew always happen to make friend with the good guys then clashes against bad guys, they beat them up & the SH become saviours...it's getting old Oda san

3.Too much fan service lately

4.Interaction between characters is a bit lacking despite the main theme of OP being the superficial Nakama BS,I mean I likes the jokes & all but yeah...

I'd like to add that the tournament lately felt like a lot of hype,I'm waiting for Luffy to face some real competition,it's about time.

Quote Quote:
    It's true the story is perfect and imho the best manga series ever. Like in the existence of manga.
    lol

Quote Quote:
    One word:

Spoiler
    NOTHING!
    lol x10
    Zettai-Teki Seigi/Absolute Justice

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post

But there's no harm in asking what you would like to add. Perhaps the term "improve" was the wrong word though.
    There's no such a thing as a perfect story\Manga. There is always a room for improvement and OP actually has a lot of flaws. I will eventually post here but not now, too tired.
    Last edited by KingOfNight; July 24, 2013 at 09:32 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GumGumRep View Post
    that would be over the top.i hope oda really incorporates it.seeing fujitora and the other one,being as strong as they are,i would really want to see some badass bounty hunters/characters outside of marines and not a pirate.imagine zoro still being a bounty hunter or after ten years.heck i would love to see an island of bounty hunters on new world,though whiskey peak kind of diminishes that hope.
    Last edited by takneeque; July 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM.
    the artist reveals and i revel. | goku the lordZ..

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly? The pacing has been killing me lately. This arc has great, but Fishman Island was freaking brutal in hindsight and Punk Hazard was pretty slow.

Also Robin needs more action and fanservice. And Sanji better get a good fight this arc. Other than that, everything is A+.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

absolutely nothing

oda is writing pure gold, there is a very good chance that we are experiencing the greatest manga of all time

enjoy one piece while it lasts my friends, we may never see another manga of this quality again

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

luffys intelligence in that he would more sly

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

the only thing that comes to mind, when i really try to split hairs...

i would like to see more of shanks's crew

obviously we all know that is coming up, i just hope his sure to be epic appearance (actual presence in an arc beyond a few panels) isnt limited to one arc like white beard

i hope shanks sticks around for a while once he does show up again
    Last edited by REN KOUEN; July 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd increase the pace of the series, since it tends to feel too slow. I'd also remove horrible humor like Dolfmaingo's crony that keeps invading people's personal space, and the other crony who keeps sayin the opposite of others.... I think Diamente? Never found that funny.

And as long as the monster trio gets epic fights, I'm okay with them.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Dog View Post
    1. a too simple minded main character like it's been said above, Luffy is an archetype, the strong idiot,typical stereotype of the shonen battle manga hero,even DB's Goku is less dumb

2. One Piece tends to be extremely formulated- The crew always happen to make friend with the good guys then clashes against bad guys, they beat them up & the SH become saviours...it's getting old Oda san
    Disagree.... It is the comfort food of manga for a reason. If you want something different than the archetype then read other seinen mangas.
    I read One Piece because it is One Piece. I read 20th Century Boys because it is 20th Century Boys.

Quote Quote:
    4.Interaction between characters is a bit lacking despite the main theme of OP being the superficial Nakama BS,I mean I likes the jokes & all but yeah...

I'd like to add that the tournament lately felt like a lot of hype,I'm waiting for Luffy to face some real competition,it's about time.
    Disagree again, go to One Piece wiki and look at interactions at some of the Strawhats. In this one regard, Oda is very good at showing and not telling. Little stuffs like the evolution of how Nico Robin call each of the strawhats to show how she had warm up to them since she first join. To how they treat each other (Zoro to Chopper). Though, with an addition of a strawhats each time, this will got extremely hard because one more meant a lot more relationships. The next one add in 9 more relationship lines. (9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1= that is how many relationships that Oda must keep track of).
    Last edited by weixiaobao; July 25, 2013 at 01:24 AM.

20. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast