Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 98

Thread: What would you do to improve the series?

  1. #16
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beika City
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNight View Post
    There's no such a thing as a perfect story\Manga.
    Sure not literally perfect. But its the best regardless.

  2. #17
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Red Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Country
    France
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Quote Originally Posted by weixiaobao View Post
    Disagree.... It is the comfort food of manga for a reason. If you want something different than the archetype then read other seinen mangas.
    I read One Piece because it is One Piece. I read 20th Century Boys because it is 20th Century Boys.
    So just because OP's supposed to be some generic pop corn manga, Oda should flush Characterization & internal reflection down the toilet ? I disagree

    And what's the matter about Seinens ? shonen mangas like rurouni Kenshin for ex has a main character who's not an archetype,I'm not sure about the point you wanted to make

    Quote Quote:
    Disagree again, go to One Piece wiki and look at interactions at some of the Strawhats. In this one regard, Oda is very good at showing and not telling. Little stuffs like the evolution of how Nico Robin call each of the strawhats to show how she had warm up to them since she first join. To how they treat each other (Zoro to Chopper). Though, with an addition of a strawhats each time, this will got extremely hard because one more meant a lot more relationships. The next one add in 9 more relationship lines. (9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1= that is how many relationships that Oda must keep track of).
    Bonds are made basicaly because the crew live through s**t together, last time I was okay with interactions was when Ussop decided to leave & thriller bark arc ending between zoro & sanji.
    Zettai-Teki Seigi/Absolute Justice

  3. #18
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Red Dog View Post
    So just because OP's supposed to be some generic pop corn manga, Oda should flush Characterization & internal reflection down the toilet ? I disagree
    Well, if that is true. But since it isn't true, I am not even bother arguing.

    Quote Quote:
    And what's the matter about Seinens ? shonen mangas like rurouni Kenshin for ex has a main character who's not an archetype,I'm not sure about the point you wanted to make
    Hmm, rurouni Kenshin is an archetype character, the pacifist. >___< Asking Kenshin to stop being a pacifist meant that he isn't Kenshin anymore because the whole character defining of Kenshin is the conflict between kill and not killing. Likewise, Luffy is a head strong who always get what he wants via his willpower. Thus, all the shitty stuffs happen toward the first half of One Piece defined Luffy as a character. It doesn't matter how much he wants, reality has a different plan for him. The point is this. One Piece is still One Piece. It is an improve One Piece of the early One Piece. Manga that went down hill ceased to be whatever they was initially at. Bleach was presented as a slice of life/supernatural manga. Then it turn to a generic fighting manga. Some manga made the great transition but others doesn't. And some cease to be what it was.

    The next criticism you are gonna voice is that why didn't Luffy change after the timeskipped. Well, I am glad that he didn't. If he did change, then the atmosphere of One Piece would change drastically. In the back of his head, there is some reserved about his experiences but he could still be himself among friends.

    Quote Quote:
    Bonds are made basicaly because the crew live through s**t together, last time I was okay with interactions was when Ussop decided to leave & thriller bark arc ending between zoro & sanji.
    Well, you are making statements that you don't think about like at all. Seriously reflect a bit on the chapters and then say something useful. For example, Skypiea showed one of the great growth of Nami. She was a survival, always had been and pretty much like Robin, but then she gave up on her survival instinct with Enel and stood her ground. Robin, initially, held the strawhats at a distance, this reflect on her nicknames of the strawhats. After the Enies Lobby incident, she referred to them much different than she previously did. Zoro and Sanji actually treated Usopp moreorless as their equal this is evident by the fact that those 2 actually held Usopp's accountable for his action and believe in him when Usopp step up to the plate.

    Oh boy, and Zoro held Luffy the most accountability. Man, after the Usopp's incident. And then in Punk Hazard, boy, did he pissed that Luffy got passed out during the battle against CC. But he trusted his captain the most.

    Nami and Usopp has a certain bond which go way back to Usopp's story arc and recall those were the 2 that first battle the Black Cat pirates. In many way, Nami was the most relief that Usopp left since she is most empathize with him. And Oda showed that those were the 2 that meet after the postskipped in a bar discussing their strength in the crew.

    Even the newer member like Brook had developed a strong relationship with some crew members, one of such is Brook-Zoro, Zoro was the one that get his shadow back. Brook was the one that witness Zoro's sacrifice. Brook was the one that stand his ground against Kuma right after Zoro's disappearance. Those 2 had some mutual respect as swordmen. Oh and up course, Brook and Sanji bond as mutual perverts.

    I can go on and on and on and on and on. But why, did you read the same manga that I did?? I don't know at this point.

    ---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

    Oh, and to classified OP as a generic popcorn manga??? >____< what are you talking about....

    I said it is a comfort food?? you know homey food, food that remind you of a certain time and place, and bring comfort. Food that you can eat anytime and place without needing to get into a certain mood for it. But to classified it as a Generic popcorn manga. I don't think, we will reach an agreement if that is your mindset.

    ---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

    "Comfort food is traditionally eaten food (which often provides a nostalgic or sentimental feeling to the person eating it),[1] or simply provides the consumer an easy-to-digest meal, soft in consistency, and rich in calories, nutrients, or both.[2] The nostalgic element most comfort food has, may be specific to either the individual or a specific culture.[3] Many comfort foods are flavorful; some may also be easily prepared."

    Generic popcorn manga O_____________________O

  4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  5. #19
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bhoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Country
    India
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    1. Well , i wont say improve Luffy's intelligence , but i would say to give him to ability to follow through with a plan . Its in his character to completely ignore the situation like a child and do what he wants , but as the captain he has a responsibility towards his crew. His latest display at the gladiator games going after the fruit just endangered his crew. I mean he could have been with his teammates and helping them instead. He might gain something important , but that's being lucky nothing more.

    2. I'd like it if more people died . I am big fan of Game of Thrones and its because people die. I'd like the crew to gain 2-3 more members while 1-2 die. I'd disregard the point if it makes it senin though.

    3. Betrayal . Probably the most important thing in my books when talking about pirates . I'd love if one of the SH crew actually turned out to be a double agent or something [maybe Robin/Chopper] . I mean have them be evil and seriously evil , no regard for the SH crew etc. Just one arc like this and I'd love the manga.

  6. #20
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Colombia
    Posts
    3,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    1. I'd give more moments to shine to Zoro, Sanji and some of the others. I mean I'd like an arc with Zoro or Sanji as the main protagonist over Luffy.

    2. In near future I'd gift the audience with a crazy prequel about this three:

    Spoiler show


    Quote Originally Posted by GumGumRep View Post
    Here are some of mine:

    1. I'm make Luffy more intelligent. I don't mind that he's overall a dumbass, but since spent his whole childhood training in a dangerous forest full of wild animals I'd like it if he displayed his survival knowledge a lot more. Especially since he just spent two whole years training in the wild.
    To me, Luffy being more intelligent would ruin the manga. OP is perfect in providing us with an stupid hero

  7. #21
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member RedBerserk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    Italy
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Let's see... mmmh one thing that i always disliked about One Piece is that Luffy is too silly looking as a protagonist, i wouldn't have anything against him if he was just one of the crewmembers... but come on, he still wears those damn flip flops, still look like he is 13 years old instead of 19 and he is just too dumb, i mean seriously dumb lol (Goku was not dumb in the manga, he was just ignorant when he was a kid) this guy is supposed to be the next pirate king or at least a really important pirate, just think about Roger, Garp, Whitebeard etc. really epic characters that are going to be surpassed by that moron, it's annoying.
    So: (these points will probably be similar with some of those already posted in the thread, but i want to add my opinion xD)
    1. i would change Luffy appereance and intelligence or maybe change is role altogether and make Zoro the protagonist/captain and let him be like Usopp and the rest of the crew.
    2. This manga really need more "feelings" and i don't mean cheesy crap like Fairy Tail, i'm talking about real character development... i was really upset when the Strawhats met again after 2 years and they didn't ask anything to eachother... i mean i expected something like: holy crap Zoro! what happened to your eye!? Franky what happend to your body? how have you been guys? instead we got nothing, they met and it was like nothing happened, they acted as they never left...
    3. the caracters need more self-awareness... for example, Oda should either stop drawing Nami and Robin like pornstars and give them a more proper role in the crew or just let them face the consequences of how they dress... by consequences i mean that since they are always wearing revealing clothes while having those bodies (they are perfect basically, just thing about their huge breasts) it should build up sexual tension around them, especially since they spend so much time on a boat while being the only 2 females in the crew. I'm not saying he should go full ecchi HSDK style, but at least he should give a plausible reaction to it by the men of the crew (Sanji doesn't count, what he does doesn't make any sense, he just lose blood from the nose and doesn't do anything else lol).
    I can't think about anything else at the moment.

  8. #22
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Colombia
    Posts
    3,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    In favour of Luffy stupidity, let me re-share this old post of mine:

    Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    Luffy's stupidity is an intentional feature designed by Oda. He also wanted a story with a protagonist that would have a ridiculous power; (though with the time this rubber pirate has become really powerful). Aside his stupidity he is a trustful and loyal friend. And of course he has the main feature and motto of whole One Piece plot: a really powerful will. You can take a view of this three features of his personality in this page:

    Spoiler show


    He has an strong self determination even if he is behaving in an stupid way; but he understand well the feeling of caring about others... Sometimes he feels compassion for creatures in pain and reacts firmly to that condition ready to fight with anyone. But I wouldn't bet he will act seriously only because it is dangerous outside there in NW. IMO, that would not be Luffy.

    Another epic moment of stupidity on One Piece's NW:

    Spoiler show
    Luffy being non stupid would be no Luffy. We'd lost many memorable moments. Imho, luckily you guys are not the author .
    Last edited by ukimix; July 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM.

  9. #23
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,552
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    1. I'd give more moments to shine to Zoro, Sanji and some of the others. I mean I'd like an arc with Zoro or Sanji as the main protagonist over Luffy.

    2. In near future I'd gift the audience with a crazy prequel about this three:

    Spoiler show




    To me, Luffy being more intelligent would ruin the manga. OP is perfect in providing us with an stupid hero
    i believe zoro has plent of shine moments

    he is the most epic character in the manga, dont forget he almost took down hordy jones

    UNDERWATER

    zoro isa flat out monster and proves it every ime he fights

    i dont even know if luffy could beat zoro

  10. #24
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    If I'm oda, I would add couple of chapters a week or add 50+ pages for each chapter.

  11. #25
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,552
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Quote Originally Posted by garabilagan View Post
    If I'm oda, I would add couple of chapters a week or add 50+ pages for each chapter.
    lol the other weekly mangas may complain about that

    also it sounds good as a reader but it sounds like hell for oda

  12. #26
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nast.J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Country
    Japan
    Posts
    391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    In favour of Luffy stupidity, let me re-share this old post of mine:
    Luffy being non stupid would be no Luffy. We'd lost many memorable moments. Imho, luckily you guys are not the author .
    While i agree with the fact that Luffy shouldn't change, I believe that Luffy isn't that stupid like everyone else said. He's just hot-headed and acts on the spot. There's many people like him in real life that act on the spot without thinking about the consequences of their acts.Hell we all have one friend who's like that.They just act according to the situation the way they want to without thinking about anything else.

    Luffy is exactly like that. If something happens, he'll do what he wants without thinking that this might cause a war against a Yonkou or something along those lines.
    AND This is why i like Luffy! I wouldn't want him to change no matter what and it's because he's the way he is that he can get so many friends. He's real and honest.

    To be more on topic, the biggest thing that annoys me with One Piece is as some people mentionned earlier : THE PACE!

    I mean One Piece is a fantastic story full of adventures and interesting characters who all happen to have their own story but what i found sad is that it takes too long to see a character we enjoyed appear on the spotlight. I want to see the likes of Mihawk, Shanks, Dragon, Ben Beckman, PhoenixMarco, Garp, the Gorosei more often or at least hear from them from another character or the newspaper. By continuing at this pace, it will take ages to get to see them in action and this is what pains me the most.

    Especially when it took ages to get to Doflamingo and that his spotlight time isn't going to end anytime soon, I sometimes wonder or get depressed to be more precise about the fact that i might not see those characters in years...

    Besides, who knows what might happen to Oda in the upcoming years. He might developp a sickness or get into an accident (not that I wish that but no one is protected from that kind of stuff) and this might challenge the future of One Piece.

    We cannot predict when One Piece will end because there's too much that hasn't been touched yet, it might take another 10/15 years or even 20 and for something that has been running since August 4th 1997 which is already 16 years that's quite long! So the pace is definitively something that needs to be taken into account.

    I'm not saying that everything should be redone. No, everything that led up to this point has been done perfectly but everything that hasn't been done will need to be done at a better pace!

    As for the feelings part, I think that doesn't need to be changed. Luffy had his tear times more than enough and his hopelessness when Ace dies was more than enough. He needs a bit of a happy time, give the guy a break.

  13. #27
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beika City
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedBerserk View Post
    So: (these points will probably be similar with some of those already posted in the thread, but i want to add my opinion xD)
    1. i would change Luffy appereance and intelligence or maybe change is role altogether and make Zoro the protagonist/captain and let him be like Usopp and the rest of the crew.
    Erm... To hell with this idea dude.
    Luffy is the Captain and that's that. Zoro becoming the captain all of a sudden would just piss me off.
    If you see the trend, Silvers Rayleigh seemed like the perfect captain, in his flashback, all he had was Roger grinning like a sheer fool inviting him over to join him and he was pretty disorganized.
    Luffy and Zoro just parallel those two and in time Oda is going to make Luffy a suitable Pirate King.

    ==========================================

    In fact, a lot of people should relax about his lack of common sense. He is 19. He is obviously not going to be the Pirate King at a bratty age of 19.
    Just give it time. If you can wait 700 Chapters then you can wait whenever.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nast.J View Post
    We cannot predict when One Piece will end because there's too much that hasn't been touched yet, it might take another 10/15 years or even 20 and for something that has been running since August 4th 1997 which is already 16 years that's quite long! So the pace is definitively something that needs to be taken into account.
    Since when was it a good thing to predict when a manga can end?
    Since when was it bad to not knbe able to predict when a manga will end?

  14. #28
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    33,130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhoot View Post
    1. Well , i wont say improve Luffy's intelligence , but i would say to give him to ability to follow through with a plan . Its in his character to completely ignore the situation like a child and do what he wants , but as the captain he has a responsibility towards his crew. His latest display at the gladiator games going after the fruit just endangered his crew. I mean he could have been with his teammates and helping them instead. He might gain something important , but that's being lucky nothing more.

    3. Betrayal . Probably the most important thing in my books when talking about pirates . I'd love if one of the SH crew actually turned out to be a double agent or something [maybe Robin/Chopper] . I mean have them be evil and seriously evil , no regard for the SH crew etc. Just one arc like this and I'd love the manga.
    I'm not sure if that's entirely a bad thing. How boring would it be if Luffy was there to beat up bad people that weren't close to his level? Water 7/Enies Lobby would be much shorter if Luffy was following the plan. They'd likely sneak in with mission being a success rather than take few chapters to fight baddies because Luffy went off on his own. While Luffy has endangered his crews' lives, you can take it as a test to see whether they can hold their own.

    I don't want Robin to be the traitor. I think all members of the crew are too important to betray SHP, because they each have a role to fulfill that can't be matched by the other. Chopper is a doctor, Nami is a navigator, Zoro is a clutch swordsman, Sanji is a cook, Frankie fixes and builds, Robin is chockful of info, and etc. Though Jinbei could be the traitor, as it seems SHP can do without him.

    Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    1. I'd give more moments to shine to Zoro, Sanji and some of the others. I mean I'd like an arc with Zoro or Sanji as the main protagonist over Luffy.
    I agree. Zoro and Sanji are too underutilized, they're just as epic as Luffy, if not more.

    Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    In favour of Luffy stupidity, let me re-share this old post of mine:



    Luffy being non stupid would be no Luffy. We'd lost many memorable moments. Imho, luckily you guys are not the author .
    Luffy isn't stupid, he's just reckless and doesn't think much. When he does think though, he can be smart. Remember when he confronted Vivi? Or when he counted the amount of meals he missed because he was passed out from his fight with Crocodile?

  15. #29
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Freid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iron Fist Tournament
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    I love One Piece to bits but I gotta say, I was really disappointed when everyone else changed after the time skip except Luffy. I wish he'd grown a few inches or something. He ain't much younger than Ace was 2 years ago, so I was really hoping he'd get as tall and buff as he was.
    Predictions: Smoker | One Piece
    Why So Serious?

  16. #30
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nast.J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Country
    Japan
    Posts
    391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Since when was it a good thing to predict when a manga can end?
    Since when was it bad to not knbe able to predict when a manga will end?
    I didn't say that it was bad nor that it was good in the statement you quoted.

    I was just pointing out that there's so much left to do that we can't even approximately point how long One Piece has to go even though it's been going on for 16 years. We might not even be half way and it took 16 years to get to that point, imagine how long we might wait for the end. I don't want to be 40 and still reading One Piece

    It was just something i felt to mention and that people seem to forget. Besides Oda is human and he's already 38, no one is protected from disease/accidents.

    Of course, I'm not saying Oda should fasten the pace because he might die before OP ends, i'm just pointing out the fact that he's getting older as the years go by and that One piece still has a long way to go.

    It's just that i thought that improving the pace would improve the manga because I know I'm not the only one who wants to see Shanks, PhoenixMarco, Mihawk in action.. But obviously, i suppose Oda has planned everything and that in time we're going to see them in a more awesome way that we could imagine.

    As a reader, the pace is just what i would change to improve the manga. Although keep in mind, that every reader sees the manga in its own perspective and therefore might be or might not biaised when proposing something that he believes is right because it would make him enjoy the manga more.

    Ultimately, we all know Oda is the only master of his own work and this thread is more about fullfilling our wishes to get the ''One Piece'' we want.

New Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts