Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do to improve the series?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What would you do to improve the series?

Give Nami her old haircut.

Pretty much it...

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely add some deep interactions between the Strawhats such as when Usopp and Luffy fought over the fate of Going Merry. Their (= the crew as a whole) interactions have felt a little superficial ever since the time skip, compared to how good it was before.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Red Dog's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weixiaobao View Post
    Well, if that is true. But since it isn't true, I am not even bother arguing.
    Let me remind you your previous statement-

Quote Quote:
    If you want something different than the archetype then read other seinen mangas.
    There's a bit of contradiction in your argument imo

Quote Quote:
    Hmm, rurouni Kenshin is an archetype character, the pacifist. >___< Asking Kenshin to stop being a pacifist meant that he isn't Kenshin anymore because the whole character defining of Kenshin is the conflict between kill and not killing. Likewise, Luffy is a head strong who always get what he wants via his willpower. Thus, all the shitty stuffs happen toward the first half of One Piece defined Luffy as a character. It doesn't matter how much he wants, reality has a different plan for him. The point is this. One Piece is still One Piece. It is an improve One Piece of the early One Piece. Manga that went down hill ceased to be whatever they was initially at. Bleach was presented as a slice of life/supernatural manga. Then it turn to a generic fighting manga. Some manga made the great transition but others doesn't. And some cease to be what it was.
    Well the point I was trying to make was that character development is absolutly irrevelant of whether a manga is a Seinen or a shonen,those terms refer to age & gender demographic. And Himura Kenshin,from being an assassin to a pacifist definitly had a good characterization. I can't say he's an archtype either since there's his backstory speaking for himself

Quote Quote:
    The next criticism you are gonna voice is that why didn't Luffy change after the timeskipped. Well, I am glad that he didn't. If he did change, then the atmosphere of One Piece would change drastically. In the back of his head, there is some reserved about his experiences but he could still be himself among friends.
    How could Luffy change in the first place, he is'nt a character with "self reflection" like I said,hell even his brother's death left him unmoved

Quote Quote:

"Comfort food is traditionally eaten food (which often provides a nostalgic or sentimental feeling to the person eating it),[1] or simply provides the consumer an easy-to-digest meal, soft in consistency, and rich in calories, nutrients, or both.[2] The nostalgic element most comfort food has, may be specific to either the individual or a specific culture.[3] Many comfort foods are flavorful; some may also be easily prepared."
    Well thanks I'll go to bed less idiot with this
    Zettai-Teki Seigi/Absolute Justice

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freid View Post
    I love One Piece to bits but I gotta say, I was really disappointed when everyone else changed after the time skip except Luffy. I wish he'd grown a few inches or something. He ain't much younger than Ace was 2 years ago, so I was really hoping he'd get as tall and buff as he was.
    in all fairness 17-19 isnt a big change for most males

zoro either lost an eye or ia keeping it closed for some reason

sanji looksthe same

ussopp just frew his hair out

nami was the biggest change she went from cute to flat out sexy

i dont see whereanyone really seemed to grow up

in my opinion chopper shouldhave shown the most growth because he was a young animal

2 yeas is a ton of growth time for animals

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Freid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Ace at 17 pretty much had the same stature as current Luffy, and still grew noticeably taller and more muscular after 2+ years. Luffy could have changed too if Oda wanted him to. He just chose not to, which is disappointing amidst the epic changes some others like Franky got.
    Predictions: Smoker | One Piece
    Why So Serious?

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    in my opinion chopper shouldhave shown the most growth because he was a young animal

2 yeas is a ton of growth time for animals
    Yeah Chopper's height is sort of BS to me lol. He is 17 years old right now.
    If he is influenced by the Human Fruit he simply can't be so small.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member BlkHorus's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would add more interaction or sporadic movement of the revolutionaries since their goal is still largely unknown. That and add the growth of Usopp atleast to not be as much of a coward anymore. I feel like Nami was more brave earlier in the series and now after the timeskip has become a bit more on the easily scared side of things.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GomuGomu_Getsuga's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Chopper going to die before everyone else? I thought he aged like a human. He should be like 8 or 10 right?

Usopp has noticable changes since the time skip. He has gained muscle and some face hair. Luffy should be 20 at this point. I would have made him just a little bigger. I think Usopp may have more muscle than Luffy.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets see if it were me:

- A little less of the strawhats being saviours and just having some random adventures: I think alot of people already get the Idea that One Piece cans sometimes get formulatic in that the strawhats tend to be the heros of the Island and what not, So I would like it a bit more if instead of being a arc where a major wrong needs to be righted on a island or something, that they would just head someplace that's generally dangerous that they need to get past in order to progress or something along those lines. I know that one of the themes in one piece is the grey area of 'justice' but in thta case we should have a few more instances where the strawhats are pretty neutral to what goes on (not that they especially act out of heroics but you all get my point)

- Pacing: I think alot of reason that marathoning one piece seems so fun is because one can watch and move at their own pace and move quickly to the next arc, however once you catch up, your stuck with the natural pace of the story and Oda just happens to be a rather slow paced story teller. Generally stuff would happen, but arcs would typically last a year while in other series a major arc would be half a year or something like that. So basically it could pick up the pace a little especially since a reader can practically feel when they've been on an island for too long.

- Equalize the crew's fighting time and really take advantage of their strengths: I think I'd like to see the entirty of the crew have some more actions to themselves more and it not just be the monster trio that gets everybody, and if the rest of the crew really were doing something outside of fighting, really show their skillset be put to the test and stretched to the limit (though granted he could be saving that aspect of it off for later)

I think that's it really, I don't have a problem with Luffy being dumb and since humor is more subjective than anything I can't really commet on that (personally It feels hit or miss with me lately)
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece and slow pace? Yeah... Are you mistaking this manga with ... I don't know... Naruto? Or Bleach? ... I dunno that Pokemon TV show? I actually think, you're mistaking one's eagerness to read the next chapter as slow pace.

One arc lasts around one year. That's not too slow for sure.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

one piece ia paced perfectly

even the anime is planned right, they rarely have filler mid-arc; its always between arcs where it should be

unlike naruto and bleach's animes

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont like how they never show pirates gathering treasure anymore.... in the beginning of one piece we saw it all the time.

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kulugo's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

i'd like to see ship battles, master and commander (movie) style.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i would love to learn more about the poneglyphs and the void century

of course that will come with time... so its not really a suggestion for imporvement as much as it is anticipation and curiosity

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    one piece ia paced perfectly

even the anime is planned right, they rarely have filler mid-arc; its always between arcs where it should be

unlike naruto and bleach's animes
    Yeah that's the issue, One Piece wins by not sacrificing itself for big absolutely shitty and terrible filler arcs like that may even begin with lots of promise but still end up awful at the end like Naruto does,

But One Piece as a result has episodes that just drag on and the pacing becomes really inconsistent in comparison to Naruto and Bleach if you want to compare them.
    One Piece will sometimes cover 3 chapters in an ep. then 1 chapter in an ep. then perhaps 4 and then 1 and then 2 and then 1 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kulugo View Post
    i'd like to see ship battles, master and commander (movie) style.
    That's a huge thing I didn't notice.
    For a Pirate manga, we haven't seen barely any ship on ship battles iirc.

But to be fair, in One Piece, unlike real life, Most humans are far stronger than most ships.

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    One Piece and slow pace? Yeah... Are you mistaking this manga with ... I don't know... Naruto? Or Bleach? ... I dunno that Pokemon TV show? I actually think, you're mistaking one's eagerness to read the next chapter as slow pace.
    ?
    Neither Naruto nor Bleach are slow either though so I don't know where this comes from.
    Naruto and Bleach have good pacing in terms of arcs.
    However, they suffer because the guys at Tokyo TV sacrifice slowing the pacing down slightly for the use of filler-arcs. Which just so happens to be terrible.
    Last edited by Airgrimes; July 30, 2013 at 04:51 AM.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast