Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 91 to 98 of 98

Thread: What would you do to improve the series?

  1. #91
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,962
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I may have brought it up, but we're continuing the discussion. We don't know if it'd have the same effect, worse effect, or better effect if it was condensed. You say it'd be worse because you only know the original flashback; I say it'd be better because I thought it was too long.
    I'm sorry for the harsh words before and for any misunderstanding, I will try to fix... after I got some sleep.

    I will present my idea tomorrow, you may answer or not. I don't think it's the Drum flashback is perfect; that one could take away elements/panels to shorten it, but I don't believe it "could have been done in two chapters" while giving off the same feeling.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  2. #92
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    But every single male member of the members is a fighter and so are the female ones. Nami and Robin [and Ussop ] are the only ones who have more of a "normal human" body though, their power comes from weapons and special usage of their DFs. Nami and her sticks, she is physical weak and never trained that part as far as we know. Robin uses size to create enough net force to crush her enemies or break their necks with multiple body parts.
    Well, no.
    Not everyone is a fighter, they all CAN fight, but if there is shit going down, nami would always leave fighting to someone else, for example.
    We know Nami and Robin are perfectly capable of fighting, but for example in FI, they were not allowed to fight a serious one on one match as only exceptions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    Let's not forget Monet vs Luffy; in the end she was koed by a person who had not a single real enemy for three years now, no matter their gender.

    We also knew long before Tashigi met Monet, that Zorro would be the one capable of beating her, not captain-chan, who lost horribly in front of the building against a single strike of Law.

    It's not about that, it's not the fact she was beaten, it's the fact how she was treated.
    The only way she thought she could win was because Zorro would not attack Girls, which he basically didnt do then and let tashigi do it.
    And yes, we all knew tashigi would be weaker than Zorro, but having tashigi be so weak that she still does not account to much (yes she got haki, but still) was a let down for me because before it was implied that her role would be greater because she resembled kuina.
    The whole Zorro flashback was about a Girl who wanted to become a great swordsman but was afraid that she could not do so because she was female.
    And what we are seeing now is a Girl who, despite having a 'no bullshit' attitude, is still not even able to hold her own against competent opponents and wa sonly used by oda to deliver a finishing blow against another female character because the far stronger Zorro did not want to do that.

    And I am not forgetting luffy against Monet, but what does that Change here?

    In the end, monet gets humiliated even more for just being a puppet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    The Nami & Ussop situation: Eh, I hope you do realize that we were presented Ussop's Black Kabuto being a transformable, customizable weapon, Nami was shown to be a monster when she uses her gigantic Area of Effect attacks, that she was able to guide the lightning. Hint: Enel who also uses thunderbolts would have gained a bounty comparable to Chin Jao/Kidd/Ace and co. But better hate on things, than think things through. What would we have gotten out of Law restricting CC himself? Nothing but him using the same damn ability we have seen throughout the arc. Even more, it was CC that took out those two while they were trying to watching the children. So in conclusion it makes very much sense for those two do do what they did.

    Why not thinking it through?
    All strawhats are basically Monsters now.
    As i said, law clearly stated he could do so himself easily.
    You do not seem to realize that a writer such as oda can write another, more rewarding way for nami and usopp to do useful, cool stuff, do you?

    Nami's use for example is shown very well, she is the Navigator, and stuff like making a cloud Bridge to the ice Island are shown, too.

    It still does not Change that oda treats his female characters worse and worse.
    The fanservice amount is growing strong, and when was the last time one of the female cast had an important battle?
    That was probably nami against kalifa in the bath.

    Following that?
    None.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post

    Bathing scenes in OP are for fanservice, but that we already knew over a decade ago. What's so bad about a bit fanservice anyway, it helped to reveal and develop Momonosukes character and created some funny tensed situations.

    True, we don't get that much panels for the individual mugiwaras fighting anymore, but that's where the manga is going right now in this arc. The mugiwaras on their own are not a real problem for Doflamingo so far, so Oda had to add incredibly strong dwarfs and a tournament full of pirates from all over the world to at least distract some of the crew and not make it only SHeart alliance vs Donquixote family. I hope we will get to see more than Gigantesco Mano this time too though.
    There is a striking difference tho.
    Compare secenes like in Arabasta, where nami did exhibit herself for fun.
    That was a cool Scene.
    It was a Party, all strawhats were laidback, and nami was teasing them.

    That is a WHOLE different Thing than mai getting touched and beaten by absalom, being saved by sanji, just to defeat absalom later without any possiblity to Show she can do that herself, because absalom was already 99% beaten by sanji.

    Compare that to the amount of tit and nude jokes we are getting lately.
    Does not cling right with me, it's just so random when some old dwarfs Pops up between robin's tits and she does not even get rid of him.

    I'd also wished for a female crewmate instead of Samurai dad and kid (while we do not know whether one of them or both will stay).
    I really liked monet, cool DF, cool design, fun character, but oh well.

    The conection between the Mugiwara since FI was a Major letdown for me.
    I know that Oda kinda has to have a bigger crow with more People and more conections to other pirates (for example law), but it still does not feel right.

    I miss svenes like in SKypia or even Thriller bark where every strawhat amounted to something and everyone had an important role in that arc or at least some time to shine.

    On Hazard, it seemed like most strawhats were just meddling arround with Kids and fodder most of the time.
    We do not know about Dress Rosa yet, but i have a bad Feeling about it.

  3. #93
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    I'm sorry for the harsh words before and for any misunderstanding, I will try to fix... after I got some sleep.

    I will present my idea tomorrow, you may answer or not. I don't think it's the Drum flashback is perfect; that one could take away elements/panels to shorten it, but I don't believe it "could have been done in two chapters" while giving off the same feeling.
    I also apologize for any unprovoked condescension. I was just annoyed with how harsh/rude you and the other member were, as well as putting words in my mouth that I never said.

    Rereadin the flashback now, and Hiruruku taking his clothes off is just... weird to say the least. Dalton's part was hinted at/mentioned already... Dalton himself could have explained what happened with just the world meeting flashback being the only flashback. But that is a good scene to include, at least to show Vivi's character. I do think the page of memories was unnecessary, yet it was kinda powerful.

    But the part where Chopper leaves to get Hiruruku what he needs and him coming back does seem kinda long and could be condensed. His speech about dying only when forgotten didn't need to take up so many panels either, in my opinion.

    But it seems that two chapters would have been short. Maybe three would have been good, or four chapters like it originally is.

  4. #94
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Oh, I just noticed of this new thread. Sounds great. ^^

    What would I improve? Two things.
    1) I'd have two chapters per week, because I am an impatient one.
    2) Oda's answers in SBS's. Someone should force him to promise to answer/give out one important information like every third SBS. So we don't get plenty, but still some. And I do indeed know that he's given some cool stuff out, like comparison of Luffy's, Rayleigh's and Shanks's Haki. And some more, but what I am curious about are bounties, powers, backstories. Everyone knows all's not gonna be explain in the series as there is no place for it.
    3) So unpurposely I have decided to make a third point even though I had written I'd write two. Sub-stories to crews and characters.

  5. #95
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,962
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Rereadin the flashback now, and Hiruruku taking his clothes off is just... weird to say the least. Dalton's part was hinted at/mentioned already... Dalton himself could have explained what happened with just the world meeting flashback being the only flashback. But that is a good scene to include, at least to show Vivi's character. I do think the page of memories was unnecessary, yet it was kinda powerful.

    But the part where Chopper leaves to get Hiruruku what he needs and him coming back does seem kinda long and could be condensed. His speech about dying only when forgotten didn't need to take up so many panels either, in my opinion.
    Pretty sure I would agree with all of that.

    Could take away one page out of the first part, the Kureha scene/discussion could be shortened to one page, Chopper attacking and changing could be shortned by one/two pages too. We see how he is constantly working on something[it's shown again later to show that it's his life project], C getting his name should get it's own page though. I don't know how Drum scene with Dalton/Marino/Chess could be shortned by much as we somehow had to be introduced to the flashback by Dalton, if it can be done with less panels, I'm okay with that. The reverie seems important to the plot and earlier allusions to Vivi/Dalton. The next scene is important too, as Choppers sole friend and helper promoted his dreams, which later turn into his own, while also building a connection to pirates/the jolly roger, which plays an important role later on in the fb. The shroom scene is a bit long with two pages, yet it gives them some more interaction and bonding, introducing us to his trademark hat. Their separation could be shortened a bit. Is it needed at all? Imo yes, as it shows how close they became and is needed for the next part of the flashback, where we see the reasoning for his behaviour. The seven pages used to the Kureha/Hiruruku seem a bit long, him dying and begging for an extension of his life with Chopper overhearing them could probably done with half the amount. Chopper looking half a chapter for the mushroom seems a bit long, but we get to see a half crippled Chopper at the end, so seeing him struggle again and again may be a good choice, as Hiruruku too is struggle all along. Last page is only there for the cliffhanger as a teaser, could be taken out. The next chapter starts with an implanted false hope for C, needed to keep him away for the final; we also get to see the quack finally finding his cure-all, which also works as a trigger to the end. Six pages for the H/K talk again, and again seem a bit long if only read weekly. Chopper could learn the truth on less panels too, and again the panel with the mountains.... The final chapter, I don't see a reason to shorten anything here, it was a slow chapter after we had a lot of fast ones with lot*s of moving around. It works great as a climax with the speech being given, Dalton "resigning", Chopper screaming his dream/goal and Luffy punching Wapols lights out.

    All those shots of the Drum mountains could really erased out of it.

    You may not care for the majority, but it shows how important many felt it to be.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...618-Best-Quote
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  6. #96
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    I'm not saying to skip out the speech altogether though, but there didn't need to be sentence per panel. More like two or three sentences per panel? Every thing could be said in less panels. However, it'd be a bad idea I guess, as it'd probably feel too long. The bubbles anyway. Would also have less impact and power. But yeah, after rereading the flashback it's not as bad as it was for me on the first go.


    This isn't necessarily an improvement, but I hope Odakeeps all of the Strawhats as important and doesn't put more focus on Luffy. Back in Part I Naruto was the main character, but others in his grade and older were just as important as well, and they helped flesh Naruto's character and teach us more about the world. then somehow they became irrelevant to the point that their death was/would be meh. I hope Oda doesn't fall for this trap, since each Strawhats are important and add so much to the OP world, like Robin and Usopp learning more about the toys and Frankie learning that the toys were humans at one point. Fullmetal Alchemist would be the ideal situation, but I think OP has too many characters. But it can be done, at least with important characters. I think Oda's doing a good job so far, with how Laboon was mentioned during Thriller Bark and after Fishman Island.

  7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  8. #97
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,962
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    Quote Originally Posted by shionoro View Post
    Well, no.
    Well, yes?

    Eh aside from Zorro and Luffy no one of them is a fighter, everyone else is a fighter in addition to their other jobs within the crew. In the end everyone is a fighter if the situation demands them to be.

    Please point me to the time Nami let's others handle her fights post time-skip. And are you serious about the Robin moment, when Zorro finally took the only noteworthy swordman of the Fishmen by himself, when we got a nice parallel to him fighting the weaker version with less sword? Robin had Hammond and lot's of nameless people, Nami took on single and mutiple people and won. Only when she was attacked by two named fishman at once, did other mugiwaras interrupt the action and helped her survive. Why we didn't see them in flashy attacks during chapter 646? Because the mugiwara women seem to dislike flashy attacks or they simply were otherly occupied with "staring" at Frankys radical beam. :P Nonetheless there was no one left for them to fight, so they got no double page attack.

    On Punk Hazzard nobody was really favoured, only The Monster Trio + Law and Smoker had any real fights. In the end Franky beat two mediocre by himself, but only because of Franky Shogun with Nami ending CCs escape.

    I'm a bit disappointed with Tashigi too, honestly who wasn't? But you have to consider their base stats before and after the timeskip. Zorro was miles ahead back than and under the tutelage of Mihawk the gap only widened even more.

    Monet was humilated because she followed orders? She was as faithful to Doflamingo as the mugiwaras are to Luffy, they would go through hell for him and so does Mingos crew so far, aside from a certain traitor[Violet], if she was.

    Quote Quote:
    Compare that to the amount of tit and nude jokes we are getting lately.
    Does not cling right with me, it's just so random when some old dwarfs Pops up between robin's tits and she does not even get rid of him.
    Nami during her bathing scene in GAP[c654] is too much, it lead to a joke including three other members. On PH Tashigi was ashamed because of Smokers behaviour/clothing style, but it worked hand in hand with the plot and to show her character, not being ashamed about sexuality as Nami or Robin are. On the fire side of PH everyone including Robin did wear as little as possible, Robin was always a person wearing more attractive clothes. Robins Gulliver scene on Green Bit was fanservice, but those jokes wouldn't have been the same with Ussop in that position. Had Oda needed to do to that? No, but that's his choice and I'm enjoying it. He's not exaggerating it at least. I really can't remember many or really any boob jokes besides those one, two dawrf scenes with our favourite archeologist. I would hate it if Oda had to use ecchi fanservice far more often too though.

    Monet was interesting, but we already got Robin who can create wings herself. :P

    Connection? You mean interaction? The one between PH and DR was quiet good Imo, it included the new friends and kept the humor up. Hm okay there was a Robin bathing scene here too, but come on, that's to build Momonosuke as a pervert and annoy the pervert trio on the ship.

    It would be weird if there was something for every single mugiwara to achieve in each arc. But look at Dressrosa, it has roles for nearly everyone while being around the middle still. After Robin has been quiet for a lot of time in the last twenty/thirty chapters, I too wish she would get some more panel time aside from being strapped to the ground.

    PH was a bit messy, a lot of running back and forth and somewhere else again. As mentioned above, the number of real enemies prevented many from having "action" screen time.

    Oda himself seems to love using a female character for a damsel in distress situation, but I'm pretty sure to have read an interview, where he did say that he wanted to stop doing that with Strong World being the last of such situations. But Mon Chéri is evidence of the contrary.
    Last edited by Schabrak; August 21, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  9. #98
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    zero division
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What would you do to improve the series?

    murderous intent and killing, for instance, when blackbeard sneakily killed thatch for the dark dark fruit. Or ruthless characters like crocodile or lucci


    Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

    Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

New Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts