Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The Twelve Kingdoms - ONO FUYUMI

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The Twelve Kingdoms - ONO FUYUMI

Title: 十二国記 (Jyuunikokuki)・The Twelve Kingdoms
    Author: Fuyumi Ono
    Genre: fantasy
    Release Date: September 25th 1991 ~ present
    Publishers: Kodansha, Shinchousha
    Adaptation: anime

Overview (from Wikipedia): The Twelve Kingdoms is a series of novels that focus on a world inspired by Chinese mythology, where twelve kingdoms exist under the rule of an individual chosen by the Heavens. The series does not exclusively focus on one character, though the stories of Youko Nakajima, the protagonist of the first novel, and Taiki, the protagonist of the second book, are most prevalent in the series.

Novels
    1. Shadow of the Moon, Sea of Shadow・月の影 影の海 Tsuki no Kage, Kage no Umi
      June 1992 (Volume 1); July 1992 (Volume 2)
    2. Sea of Wind, Shore of the Labyrinth・風の海 迷宮の岸 Kaze no Umi, Meikyū no Kishi
      March 1993 (Volume 1); April 1993 (Volume 2)
    3. Sea God in the East, Vast Sea in the West・東の海神 西の滄海 Higashi no Watatsumi, Nishi no Sōkai
      June 1994
    4. A Thousand Miles of Wind, The Sky at Dawn・風の万里 黎明の空 Kaze no Banri, Reimei no Sora
      July 1994 (Volume 1); September 1994 (Volume 2)
    5. The Aspiring Wings・図南の翼 Tonan no Tsubasa
      February 1996
    6. The Shore at Twilight, The Sky at Daybreak・黄昏の岸 暁の天 Tasogare no Kishi, Akatsuki no Sora
      May 2001 (both volumes)
    7. The Dream of Prosperity・華胥の幽夢 Kasho no Yume
      September 2001
    8. The Birds of Hisho・丕緒の鳥 Hisho no Tori
      July 2013

Main Story
    Last edited by Asarii; July 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Twelve Kingdoms - ONO FUYUMI

This thread should receive more love.
    Well, considering how it's on hiatus, probably it is just as well that it's kinda quiet.

But this series is just too amazing to be left like this!
    Is there no one who will share their opinion about this series..?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This looks interesting, I'll be sure to check it out at some point.
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Please do, thatguy3331! If you like fantasy, I'm sure you'll like TTK.

It's a good idea to reread this series while it's on hiatus. The world is so rich with political intrigue so I have to admit that I need to refresh my mind on those.

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    But this series is just too amazing to be left like this!
    Is there no one who will share their opinion about this series..?
    I love it! I hope the author hasn't completely abandoned the series- although by the looks of The Birds or Hisho published this year, the series is thankfully not forgotten.

My favourite characters are the twelve year old girl who becomes the queen (I forgot her name!), Taiki, Enou and Enki.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I was randomly sifting through my bookshelf when I realized that there was a copy of The Birds of Hisho that my mom bought who knows when. I found it interesting how it was published through a different company instead of Kodansha. Perhaps the reason why things took so long was because Ono had some troubles with the publisher?

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    I was randomly sifting through my bookshelf when I realized that there was a copy of The Birds of Hisho that my mom bought who knows when. I found it interesting how it was published through a different company instead of Kodansha. Perhaps the reason why things took so long was because Ono had some troubles with the publisher?
    Probably, and I also notice that Shinchosha reprinted the other novels of Twelve Kingdoms. But, I'm more on the line of thinking that maybe she has problem with her writing. I mean, it has been so long, and lately she only wrote short stories for Twelve Kingdoms, but no continuation of Tasogare no Kishi, Akatsuki no Sora.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

My favourite characters are the twelve year old girl who becomes the queen (I forgot her name!), Taiki, Enou and Enki.
    You mean Shushou? I guess you read Tonan no Tsubasa then?
    I love Enki, Shouryuu, Youko, and strangely Keiki. I still can't believe why I am rather fond of him. Probably because of his constant but amusing sighing? Well, actually there are more characters that I'm fond of, I find that many good characters in this series have their own charms.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably, and I also notice that Shinchosha reprinted the other novels of Twelve Kingdoms. But, I'm more on the line of thinking that maybe she has problem with her writing. I mean, it has been so long, and lately she only wrote short stories for Twelve Kingdoms, but no continuation of Tasogare no Kishi, Akatsuki no Sora.
    Ono has been writing other novels so it might be the issue with getting back in to the "world" of the Twelve Kingdoms. The world building and characters are quite intricate so it's going to take some time to get used to them again. (I'm not sure whether you follow A Song of Ice and Fire series, but I'm sure GRRM will face similar problems if he wrote other things in between the series.)

Quote Quote:
    You mean Shushou? I guess you read Tonan no Tsubasa then?
    I love Enki, Shouryuu, Youko, and strangely Keiki. I still can't believe why I am rather fond of him. Probably because of his constant but amusing sighing? Well, actually there are more characters that I'm fond of, I find that many good characters in this series have their own charms.
    Ah, yes. Shushou. I've indeed read Tonan no Tsubasa and was upset that the anime didn't adapt her storyline. Unlike other rulers, she chose destiny for herself by going to the kirin himself so that's one of the reasons why I like her.

A lot of characters are well-developed so one can't help being attached to all of them!

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Ono has been writing other novels so it might be the issue with getting back in to the "world" of the Twelve Kingdoms. The world building and characters are quite intricate so it's going to take some time to get used to them again. (I'm not sure whether you follow A Song of Ice and Fire series, but I'm sure GRRM will face similar problems if he wrote other things in between the series.)
    Ah, yeah. That's probably the reason, but really... it has taken so many years. I'm really dying to know what Youko and Taiki will do next...

Ah, yes. Shushou. I've indeed read Tonan no Tsubasa and was upset that the anime didn't adapt her storyline. Unlike other rulers, she chose destiny for herself by going to the kirin himself so that's one of the reasons why I like her.

A lot of characters are well-developed so one can't help being attached to all of them!
    Ah well, the anime producers must had their reasons. If anything, it might have to do with the fact that the anime pretty much focuses on Youko, Shouryuu, and Taiki. Shushou does not exactly contribute much to the current storyline.
    I'm still in the middle of reading Tonan no Tsubasa. Shushou is a pretty interesting character there, though she doesn't look so endearing in Kaze no Banri. The whole time I read about her in the book, I kept thinking, "Poor Kyouki". But when I read Tonan no Tsubasa, I think I'm starting to understand why she is the way she is.

Indeed! Not to mention that the character development is just so well-written. I used to hate Shoukei and Suzu at the start (who won't, with their attitude..), but after finishing the book, I really love them, especially when they interact with Youko. These three have really underwent great change and they have become better people. Some other characters are pretty adorable from the start, like Koshou and Sekki.
    Another amazing thing about the characters is the diversity. It's just nice to see many different characters because that way, we can learn a lot more about the nature of people.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah well, the anime producers must had their reasons. If anything, it might have to do with the fact that the anime pretty much focuses on Youko, Shouryuu, and Taiki. Shushou does not exactly contribute much to the current storyline.
    That could be it. I was still hoping for a little something like an OVA in between the long break between the books.

Quote Quote:
    I'm still in the middle of reading Tonan no Tsubasa. Shushou is a pretty interesting character there, though she doesn't look so endearing in Kaze no Banri. The whole time I read about her in the book, I kept thinking, "Poor Kyouki". But when I read Tonan no Tsubasa, I think I'm starting to understand why she is the way she is.
    We also have to remind ourselves that she's only twelve years old. She can be a great ruler considering her age (she was chosen after all), but there will be times when her childish nature comes out. :P I don't recall what happens to one's mental age when they stop aging so it's possible that she will stay the way she is forever.

Quote Quote:
    Indeed! Not to mention that the character development is just so well-written. I used to hate Shoukei and Suzu at the start (who won't, with their attitude..), but after finishing the book, I really love them, especially when they interact with Youko. These three have really underwent great change and they have become better people. Some other characters are pretty adorable from the start, like Koshou and Sekki.
    Another amazing thing about the characters is the diversity. It's just nice to see many different characters because that way, we can learn a lot more about the nature of people.
    I love your last line. The thing I love about Twelve Kingdoms (and what I recently began to appreciate) is the fact that female characters are just as capable as male characters. This is true for the Twelve Kingdoms society as a whole where IIRC there is little to no gender inequality, and it's nice how Ono makes a conscious effort do develop her heroines just as much as the men.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

That could be it. I was still hoping for a little something like an OVA in between the long break between the books.
    But since the original anime itself doesn't really sell, our hope may stay as a mere hope.

We also have to remind ourselves that she's only twelve years old. She can be a great ruler considering her age (she was chosen after all), but there will be times when her childish nature comes out. :P I don't recall what happens to one's mental age when they stop aging so it's possible that she will stay the way she is forever.
    Indeed, it's just that it doesn't help her image much if she seems like a brat. But despite that, Shushou always has good and mature reasons, I suppose, for the things she does. She may also keep acting like that so that people underestimate her, who knows? I just pity Kyouki who has to bear the brunt of her actions.

I love your last line. The thing I love about Twelve Kingdoms (and what I recently began to appreciate) is the fact that female characters are just as capable as male characters. This is true for the Twelve Kingdoms society as a whole where IIRC there is little to no gender inequality, and it's nice how Ono makes a conscious effort do develop her heroines just as much as the men.
    Yeah, I also love how developed the world of Twelve Kingdoms is, and despite the big differences, it tells a lot about our own world. I was pretty surprised too to learn that the fact that no woman has to bear children there contributes to the fact that no woman is considered less. Oh, and that the Twelve Kingdoms' world has always a balanced number of kings and queens. That's really interesting. Aside from gender equality, I love the philosophy and politics of the world and the people. When Youko is learning with Enho, I actually learned things along with her.

New Reply