Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 601 by BadKarma , Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The Small, Double-Edged Blade of Loyalty - Mikasa Ackerman

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Small, Double-Edged Blade of Loyalty - Mikasa Ackerman

Hey all, just wanted to let everyone know about a recent article I wrote about Mikasa and her loyalty towards Eren. You can read it here. The article is mostly some thoughts about why her nature is good for us when handled with balance.

As a fan of the character back when the manga first started, it's good to see her popularity explode onto the mainstream. I just think Mikasa is very inspirational to many young girls out there.

It will be interesting to see how Isayama handles her in the future!

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Small, Double-Edged Blade of Loyalty - Mikasa Ackerman

She's always been one of my favourite characters of all time. Physical ability aside, her determination is pretty raw yet controlled within her own set of reasons. One of the best portrayals of her character stems from the scene when she's about to give up, but decides otherwise. We see an unbiased version of her, in the event Eren dies, hacked away emotionally, yet later still finding the most admirable of strength to carry on. She isn't by any means a 'perfect' human, whatever the word 'perfect' means. She is somewhat easily provoked, she is distant to people she doesn't particularly care about (or decidedly not care about,) and actively distances herself, in one way or another, from people she doesn't like, to a point of antagonising them (in a defensive/ passive-aggressive manner) with a passion. But none of these are on a whim, if anything she is true to her nature, her so-called 'negative' actions are unwavering and solidly reasoned on her belief. Not likable to some, but her firmness is undeniably admirable.

Finally, her 'loyalty' or 'obsession' with Eren (choice of word depends on your personal experience) is perfectly within human nature, especially given her circumstances, as oppose to what I've seen in some comments from people who aren't particularly understanding and empathetic. To be honest, I don't believe there's a 'too extreme' for this quality. If I were to phrase it myself, I'd rather say she is brave and unrestrained in her ideals, feelings and emotions. With not so many things in life she bothers herself with (in terms of people, dreams and goals,) her thoughts for Eren naturally become much more outstanding in the very few things she prioritises.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think Mikasa is flawed as a soldier, she is very human yes but these emotions are her weaknesses IMO. Her only motivation is Eren she loves him and wants to protect him, she wants to stay by his side and it's very problematic for a soldier. Actually Mikasa is not fighting for the sake of humanity, she is here to stay with Eren that's all. Her loyalty is admirable but she has the potential to completely ruin a mission, the fact that she is able to kill even his allies to protect Eren is pretty scary and she is a genius, which makes things even scarier. Trost operation would have failed if it was not for Armin( who is loyal to Eren and became a great soldier) and Ian who succeeded to calm her. Without him she would have killed her teammates.

She trusts Eren too much. I know she knows Eren's qualities better than the majority of the cast who are treating him as a whiny brat and I don't blame her for that, her jealousy is understandable too. But Eren is not perfect and even if he is the weapon of the humanity and don't want to die, he is ready to sacrifice himself if he needs to, the other trainees too( I think), Mikasa is able to die for Eren but is she able to die to save her other comrades or for the humanity? I doubt it . The only advantage of her devotion is that it gives her courage( which is the reason why she didn't die during her first mission) if she was not talented I am pretty sure she would be already dead.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    Personally I think Mikasa is flawed as a soldier, she is very human yes but these emotions are her weaknesses IMO. Her only motivation is Eren she loves him and wants to protect him, she wants to stay by his side and it's very problematic for a soldier. Actually Mikasa is not fighting for the sake of humanity, she is here to stay with Eren that's all. Her loyalty is admirable but she has the potential to completely ruin a mission, the fact that she is able to kill even his allies to protect Eren is pretty scary and she is a genius, which makes things even scarier. Trost operation would have failed if it was not for Armin( who is loyal to Eren and became a great soldier) and Ian who succeeded to calm her. Without him she would have killed her teammates.

She trusts Eren too much. I know she knows Eren's qualities better than the majority of the cast who are treating him as a whiny brat and I don't blame her for that, her jealousy is understandable too. But Eren is not perfect and even if he is the weapon of the humanity and don't want to die, he is ready to sacrifice himself if he needs to, the other trainees too( I think), Mikasa is able to die for Eren but is she able to die to save her other comrades or for the humanity? I doubt it . The only advantage of her devotion is that it gives her courage( which is the reason why she didn't die during her first mission) if she was not talented I am pretty sure she would be already dead.
    That's why it's important to spread your loyalties, though in Mikasa's case, not many people can relate to her. The few that do just happen to be "enemies". It's amazing how much emotion still has a bind of us despite what logic dictates.

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's true that Mikasa isn't fighting for humanity. She just rates Eren far more important than the rest of humanity. Perhaps she does so to a "fanatical" extent but a lot of people out there would probably do the same for their closest loved ones, and to a similar extent. It's debatable whether or not that's a good thing, but I'd say it's not uncommon for people to have that kind of attitude IRL. What's unusual with her is just how zealous she is about it.

As Utsune pointed out, after she got over that temporary whim she had toward suicide, Mikasa chose to carry on even without Eren. She chose to protect Armin and she even confiscated and threw away the remains of his last blade so he couldn't use it to kill himself (not unlike how she would probably treat Eren if he ever thought of doing something like that). She stuck up for Armin's plan, and went on to help everyone escape from the 7 titans inside the armory, all without Eren being in her life anymore as far as she knew. She hesitated when it came to killing Bert and Reiner too. After Reiner admitted they were titans, and she had already been pre-briefed on this along with Eren and Armin, she knew full well that such injuries wouldn't likely kill them. Of course she has her weak points, but I think the above behaviours I'm citing came out of the better part of her nature.

Speaking of weak points, she's hardly emotional. She's extremely *distant* emotionally, as Utsune also said, with the sole exception of the people she cares most about in life being threatened. That's still a weakness, of course, being too emotionally attached to one or two people, but also so so distant from everyone else. (In a way I felt kind of bad for Jean at how she snubbed him, though to be honest I think that up until Trost, he was a bit of a jerk.) At the same time, when she blamed Sasha for "farting" she made it up to her by giving her some of her food, so it's not like she has zero sense of empathy. I bet she even did that partly because she felt bad for taunting Sasha with that piece of bread she wanted to eat, before that.
    Last edited by kannazuki; August 03, 2013 at 10:05 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

On the contrary imo she staff that bred into Sasha mouth as to say "Stfu u stupid potato girl and eat this -.-" (imo).

New Reply