Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Collective Reading of VAGRANT SOLDIER ARES by Ryu Keum Cheo

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collective Reading of VAGRANT SOLDIER ARES by Ryu Keum Cheo

I thought this was about togetherness. Whats with all the cheatin?

Nevermind I just read ch 1. I'm already sold, character personalities are great and the fighting is surprisingly violent.
    Last edited by conn-man; August 06, 2013 at 07:24 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nast.J's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conn-man View Post
    I thought this was about togetherness. Whats with all the cheatin?

Nevermind I just read ch 1. I'm already sold, character personalities are great and the fighting is surprisingly violent.
    I thought this was about togetherness man. What's with all the cheating

Jokes aside, I'll probably start tonight.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, here my comments on the trully first 3 chapters (kkck doesn't know to count).

Spoiler:  comments on chapters 1 to 3 show
    Last edited by ukimix; August 06, 2013 at 10:16 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I won t comment on the chapters but i already have a lot of fun reading you all. It s really funny to read the reactions when you know what s coming next.
    If i want to compare ares to an other manga/manwha, kingdom is a little bit similar. But i don t find any common elements with fairy tail.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

I've read the first 10 chapters (okay, eleven, I had to read the ending for the fight :P).

The art is quirky, I like it very much. More suited to a slow-paced seinen than this bloodbath. People die very easily here, which I like. I can't make up my mind about the main cast. Three underfed kids, with swords, who can easily kill adults. Is there going to be an explanation for their strength, or are we supposed to just accept it? For example, no human could jump as high as Ares can.
    I won't comment much on the plot, since some people read only 3 chapters, but for now, there's not much to the story and background, apart from the fights. Still, it's entertaining so far

Initially I thought it would be good to read 10 chapters per week, but it has such a fast pace that even 20 per week would be okay for me.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Tample knights...Good? Evil? Its a bold concept. Up to ch 13 now and the impression I get is that they are responsible for maintaining some years of civility in the kingdom.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys, let me call you attention to this: the agreed pace was medium, so that's a volume per week. So that would be chapters 1 to 9. Then, this week we would have been posting comments only about those chapters. I think it's important because posts about ulterior chapters could spoil the other participant readings.

Now clearly you can feel the need to go a bit further than the chapters agreed for a certain week. So I would like to clarify that the rule about the agreed pace should be taken as a rule about the posts allowed in the thread, not about the chapters each one is reading. I mean, if we agree on commenting chapters 1 to 9, each personal reading we can go up to chapter 13 or even a bit more (not to much to not leave the group behind), but you only can post here comments about chapters 1 to 9. Because on this week, participants are not waiting to read comments on ulterior chapters.

Said that, we can adopt the spoiler tags rule, which would be: put your comment into spoiler tags, and write a title telling what chapters are the spoiler about, like this:

Quote Quote:
    My comment about chapters 1 to 9
    Spoiler show

My comment about chapters 10 to 13
    Spoiler show
    In that way, if you fell like you need to post a comment about an ulterior chapter, you can do it with out spoiling other person's reading.

@conn-man: I see you took the care to not spoil the reading of chapters beyond 9th, since your comment was very general. So please don't worry, this clarifying note was not meant to you in particular, but to help all of us and to prevent possibly misunderstandings.

Said that, I agree with natli on increasing the pace to the fast one (2 volumes per week).

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I just got excited with all the fights that are going on, I just stopped at a nice cliff hanger and I'm gonna save it for later so we can all sync up again.

And lets face it, we're all seasoned readers, fast pace is nothing for us!

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Did someone see some Keith guy around here?

Spoiler show

---------- Post added August 10, 2013 at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was August 09, 2013 at 08:49 PM ----------

I have a little problem with my comments about the chapters of Vol 1. The whole nice first arc ends in chapter 18, vol 1 and 2; and some impressions I’d like to share about chapters of Vol 1 are in some way about the whole arc. Not been able to post about Vol 2 yet, I will have to skip them for later. (Will be a good idea a pace like: an arc per week? )

Chapter 4 give us what to think about Chronos. It seems you have to pay to get someone who defends you against thieves and murders. There should be no army neither something like the militant wing of the kingdom of Chronos. Or at least, not one that cares about people.

I really really like the action scenes of this manhwa. While I like shounen, I like shounen with substance. But I wouldn’t mind to spend much time watching fights like Mikael vs Carnival. The panels are very well made in terms of creating the sense of movement, and you can clearly sense the danger in Carnival way to walk and to look, his killing intent. His face and general look are the ones of a proper dangerous assassin.

Ares is a very sympathetic guy, and the mixture of his apparent clumsiness and his good sense of humor, makes of him a very enjoyable character to my eyes:

Spoiler show

Talking about humor, also the whole scene between Ares and Mikael about "You reap what you sow" was just really funny. The characters seems to be very well designed and the author is doing a great work with them.

For instance, the line "Well, I don't much want to live…" portrays well who Mikael is, and should be the best line of the volume:

Spoiler show

The toughness of Mikael is fully believable, as well as the other characters'. That line of Mikael is comparable to a war cry; only that is not yelled, but said calmly. A quote of an assassin… Now, if they live by the sword, and are hungry, they are not sad characters, neither they are defeated by a hard life. Instead somehow they seem to be ok and even enjoy for moments what they do and what they have to do. That's it atm.
    Last edited by ukimix; August 11, 2013 at 06:38 AM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

What kinda surprises me is that tample can so easily mobilize so many people. How exactly can they maintain that? I could understand if they were a mercenary organization which sent a few people at a time to deal with others but we are talking about these guys being able to send battalions against others. How exactly do these guys turn a profit on anything? They are private organization so a profit is a must for them at large.

So on any given expedition they have to consider:

1.- Paying all the soldiers they send
    2.- Maintaining their daily food and shelter
    3.- medical supplies for after the battle

All of that is extremely expensive. Even if those guys work on some sort of minimal wage so to speak it is still extremely expensive. I guess they might loot the enemies they defeat? But that only helps if they take a lot at large... What about when people die? I guess they perhaps might not be so kind on the treating the wounded part but more than that can be lost on a fight. I hope they elaborate on their business model soon.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

http://www.mangareader.net/480-29096...chapter-9.html

I have also been wondering about that page... why did Michael hit ares? Somehow it does not seem like him to take such action from little to no provocation. He is usually calm and collected but at that moment he was furious. I am thinking it had something to do with ares's words beyond the actual words spoken. I think the words spoken by ares at least somehow poked at michael's past which is why he reacted like that. Of course he would have immediately gotten a hold of himself and then went to enjoy the fact that ares actually avoided most of the hit.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    What kinda surprises me is that tample can so easily mobilize so many people. How exactly can they maintain that? I could understand if they were a mercenary organization which sent a few people at a time to deal with others but we are talking about these guys being able to send battalions against others. How exactly do these guys turn a profit on anything? They are private organization so a profit is a must for them at large.

So on any given expedition they have to consider:

1.- Paying all the soldiers they send
    2.- Maintaining their daily food and shelter
    3.- medical supplies for after the battle

All of that is extremely expensive. Even if those guys work on some sort of minimal wage so to speak it is still extremely expensive. I guess they might loot the enemies they defeat? But that only helps if they take a lot at large... What about when people die? I guess they perhaps might not be so kind on the treating the wounded part but more than that can be lost on a fight. I hope they elaborate on their business model soon.
    Well their business is just what their name says. They are mercenaries, and what they earn for their services is enough to take that amount of people. Now, being that the case, what is clear is that there is no police or government army. I mean Chronos is no man’s land. Living by the sword is only possible in a land ruled by the stronger, not by the justice.

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    http://www.mangareader.net/480-29096...chapter-9.html

I have also been wondering about that page... why did Michael hit ares? Somehow it does not seem like him to take such action from little to no provocation. He is usually calm and collected but at that moment he was furious. I am thinking it had something to do with ares's words beyond the actual words spoken. I think the words spoken by ares at least somehow poked at michael's past which is why he reacted like that. Of course he would have immediately gotten a hold of himself and then went to enjoy the fact that ares actually avoided most of the hit.
    It’s simpler than that. It’s comedy all the time. And I think their friendship is just like that. In this occasion, Carnival and co insulted a group of tample soldiers who are scared of him; Ares tries to take the challenge but Mikael overtakes him:

Spoiler show

Ares regrets it. When Mikael is about to start, One Armed Jack overtakes him.

Spoiler show

Mikael regrets it, and Ares begins to mock at him: “Going out there like some tough guy… you rear what you sow. First you cut in front of me, then he cut you! Isn’t the world such a fair place?” Mikael, pissed off because he couldn’t fight, swallows the whole joke and throw the blow to Ares… They discuss about it… But even if it was a heavy blow, their friendship remains untouched for the incident. In the discussion of vol 2 we could come back over the point with some supporting evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by natli View Post
    I can't make up my mind about the main cast. Three underfed kids, with swords, who can easily kill adults. Is there going to be an explanation for their strength, or are we supposed to just accept it?
    I'm not sure if Ares, Mikael and Baroona are kids, or about their ages. Mickey is a kid, but Ares is much bigger than him, but not so hight among the mature soldiers.
    Last edited by ukimix; August 11, 2013 at 06:39 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Ares is 18 years old. Other 2 are around the same age.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, we agreed medium pace from Wed to Wed. We are five up to now: kkck, conn-man, natli, Nast.J and me. Today is Sunday and by the past Saturday (in just 3 days), with the only possible exception of Nast.J, all of us had already read the first volume and some chapters more . So I think it would be ok with you if I begin the discussion of vol 2 by completing my weak argument from some days ago to show that the blow Mikael threw to Ares was only a game and not a big deal to both of them. I will put it into spoiler tags just in case:

Spoiler: talks about Chapters 12 and 17 show

Also from the 5 readers, 3 (natli, con-mann and me) have voted to increase the pace to the fast one. It would be nice to know what kkck and Nast.J think about it, since I think it would not be worth to leave anyone behind.

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    Ares is 18 years old. Other 2 are around the same age.
    Could you please tell us in what chapter ends the second arc? Since the first one ends in chapter 18, that could help us to decide about the best pace for the next weeks.
    Last edited by ukimix; August 11, 2013 at 10:04 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nast.J's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be leaving my review tommorow hopefully. I've read about 15 chapters, i think. I forgot we had to read less since nothing was really happening at first.

I'm in for fast pace, not like it would matter if i was against it though since the majority wins. But i think its a smart choice because nothing really happens with not many chapters to read, the more the merrier .

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    Spoiler: talks about Chapters 12 and 17 show
    Spoiler show

New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast