Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Collective Reading of VAGRANT SOLDIER ARES by Ryu Keum Cheo

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collective Reading of VAGRANT SOLDIER ARES by Ryu Keum Cheo

If you choose to read a full arc each week, I give the one for next week.
    First Arc: 1 -> 18
    Arc n°2: 19 -> 38

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

That means some arcs takes more than 2 volumes. That could be too many chapters for a week.

Ok, I will take kkck silence as a silent yes to the fast pace This is the distributions of the first 50 chapters by Volumes:

Vol 1 --> Ch 1 to 9
    Vol 2 --> Ch 9 to 18
    Vol 3 --> Ch 19 to 24
    Vol 4 --> Ch 25 to 30
    Vol 5 --> Ch 30 to 36
    Vol 6 --> Ch 37 to 43
    Vol 7 --> Ch 44 to 51

If the second arc ends in chapter 38, and since all of us have read already a big part of vol 2, lets set this schedule:

Quote Quote:
    Vol 2, 3 and 4 (Chapters 9 to 30) ---> since now to next Wed 21; it means we would have like 10 days for this 3 volumes

And for the rest, we could read 2 vol per week, in fast pace.
    So by the end of August we would have read the first 50 chapts and we could have read the whole manhwa by the middle of November, like in three months. If anyone disagree please let us know about it.

---------- Post added August 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was August 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM ----------

I have been reading other comic from the same author: Nephilim John, and I found this comment about him :

Quote Quote:
    OMG, same artist as Ares? Its a no brainer, I MUST READ O.O
    Good description, isn't it?. I like comics with substance, not only action and fights. I don't know if Ares is that kind of comic, but to my surprise, although I haven't found a deep plot, I'm not tired of reading it,... I like it

I didn't realize this guy, namend Goheu, was a supporting character of the story:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/65870/a..._ch4_by_kmts/5

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/65871/a..._ch5_by_kmts/9

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/65872/a...ch6_by_kmts/17

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/65883/a...h17_by_kmts/13

the buffoon?
    Last edited by ukimix; August 13, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn t like nephilim john that much. If i remember well, there was a rushed ending

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ch 24 now for me. Haven't read in a few days though, I like keeping pace.

Kkck pointed out that the Tample should be to expensive to sustain without a big financial source like royalty or what have you. They do get paid to do the work at least, that could be enough to carry them along..they do seem to have had more glory in the past I think their place in past events has been clouded and the public now sees them as more of a band of thugs.

So who else likes the clothing style? Modern things like cargo pants and hoodies in a medieval world. Very cool

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm at chapter 18, so I won't read read conn-man post yet.

My notes on volume 2:

Dirty, dirty, dirty fight… Take the helmet… ah it’s just a helmet… Take it again… ah you slashed me! But Carnival answers with an obvious kick that hides a not obvious knife… I really like Carnival eyes and look. His killing intent reminds me of some real robbers from my city. In their eyes you can see they can easily stab you, or that’s what they want you to think, so that the robbery gets easier. Killing intent…

Anyway, those kids are no saints; on the contrary, code is make your way with your sword or die, without doubts or hesitation. Yes, while Ares or Mikael joined the tample and seems to be doing it good for that organization, Carnival was expelled and joined Sion’s band; anyway, all of them shares the same code, all of them are ruled by the law of sword.

Now, Sion is quite an interesting character. From hero general (he was the most responsible for the victory against the Radink Alliance, the country to the west of Chronos) to the boss of a gang of thieves and murderers, passing through taking part of a rebellion. So he was a hero against foreigners but later he deserted against his own kingdom, it seems to be. Chronos is a very intriguing kingdom, since it has risen lovely youngsters such as Ares and Carnival; and also turned Sion that way together with his soldiers (all of them former soldiers of a winning army, became thieves and murderers). Revolutionaries and murderers are not the same thing; I'm looking forward to know about Chronos past and why all of this happened.

Anyway, Sion doesn’t forget his military manners. He tests his rivals, if the fail the test, they got killed. If not, they are enlisted. Now, Sion’s attitude in these panels is quiet appropriate for someone who lives by the sword:

It reminded me of Captain Barbosa war cry in Pirates from the Caribbean IV: “it’s a good day to die”. Sion, Carnival or Mikael could say that every morning… But judging by what Mikael did with Carnival in the end, it seems they like to live by the sword:

Spoiler show

I like this crazy world this author has created here… (I guess this song of warrior is related to that wold. A bit dark to me, but I wonder about its meaning…)

Anyway, what could be the meaning of Sion’s last words: “heroes are not made, they are born”. He seemed to have talked as if he would have not been a hero.

Last but not least, we had seen how Ares had a good relationship with his master; sure it was a true master and carer of him. With this volume we know he had a master who lead him a sword and who was killed by certain red-eye swordsman. kkck got his answer about Are's scar face. That's a good main plot line to me.

Like this panel:

Spoiler show

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

Anyone got reminded by Ionix of Zanbato, Sanosuke's sword in Rurouni Kenshi?
    Last edited by ukimix; August 16, 2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: vol x chapter

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ukimix, Vol 18? Or do you mean Ch 18?? And my post doesn't spoil, its broad again. I like your opinion on Sion too, he was an interesting character. He was kind of symbol of the corruption of Chronos that I think we'll be learning a lot about as chapters go on.

Side note; I'm camping this weekend so if anyone quotes me I won't be able to reply till Monday.
    Last edited by conn-man; August 16, 2013 at 02:58 AM.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conn-man View Post
    Ukimix, Vol 18? Or do you mean Ch 18?? And my post doesn't spoil, its broad again.
    yes ch 18. Sorry

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

So who else likes the clothing style? Modern things like cargo pants and hoodies in a medieval world. Very cool
    All reviews talk about anachronism (wiki, batoto), which is kind of silly. Nothing to complain about.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm up to chapter 18 currently. I loved the scene where Ares recalls what his master said to him: "Your sword is has to soar... soar like a...um... what was it again master?" Gotta love this guy xD I like his back story - simple but got me interested. Also, I'm happy Mikael spared Carnival. I really like Carnival's character design. He deserves more screen time than several chapters.

Again, the fights were great and there's not much plot (aside from Ares' back story) but I'm hooked. This manhwa reads very well.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Sion was definitely a cool character. Its a shame he got killed so early even if his ending was spectacular. I agree in that we will see bits and bits of him again. He was a powerful general and the closest thing to a challenge ares has had so it would make sense he has influenced the very history of the world they are in.

As far as carnival goes I hope his next appearance is more epic. He didn't get a grand finale, he didn't have any objectives, he just got defeated by a character of whom we only know he is overwhelmingly more powerful than everyone else.

Someone made a comparison between sasosuke and sion but thinking about it the comparisons between characters might go a tad farther. If sion was inspired by sanosuke then ares was definitely inspired by kenshin. Acrobatic style swordsplay is almost the definition of hiten mitsurugi lol.

I also wonder about the sword that was left for ares.... It doesn't seem like ares is actively looking for it considering he just went and walked up to tample by chance. It does not seem like ares has any sense of direction either...

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Up to chapter 30, serious spoilers ahead!

Wow. Apparently the first 20 chapters were a warm-up xD

I knew the author was good at drawing and writing one on one fights. But apparently full-scale war isn't much of a challenge for him either. The battle strategy is clever, well-developed and explained so that anybody can understand it. Divertions, Troyan Horse strategy and some crazy fighting scenes. Really well done. (Mikael gets extra points for biting through the general's throat! That's called being resourceful xD)

Ares' Epic Love Story really made me laugh. There was some golden dialogue between him and his girlfriend. She's from a noble family, I wonder how that will work out? Ares seems to be a commoner, and this is a medieval setting. I don't think Lord Gizelle will be happy giving his daughter to a mercenary, no matter how talented.

The world of the manhwa is getting explained. King of Chronos is a madman who doesn't want to make any decisions, he just wants to spend time with his harem. His general Icarius is a military genious, and is loyal to his country, but he may be planning a coup in the near future. There's another general very close to the king, who manages internal affairs and has great influence in the kingdom. Apparently, he's cruel and will do anything to get his way. Chronos is under attack by a Ridink(sp?) alliance. One of Chronos' own allies plans to stab them in the back as soon as the war is over.

In some kingdom far away a king waits for his son to come back from 'training'. Which he began as one of our very own Temple Mercenaries. Sooo... is one of the 3 main characters a prince? o.o I don't think it's Ares, he doesn't know who his parents are. Baroona has a fricking slave tatoo, can't be him either. So... Mikael? But why would a prince be after money?

The Tample (Temple?) Mercenaries are still quite mysterious. I don't think we've seen their boss, we don't know who founded them and why. I'm curious weather other countries could hire them too, or are they only loyal to Chronos.

edit: I'm assuming we're reading up to chapter 43 for the next week?
    Last edited by natli; August 21, 2013 at 06:14 AM.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

My two cents up to chapter 30
    • Well, if we take in account the strategy developed by the Minos, this arc should also be a warm up. Because the guys were just a bunch of idiots... They fell in the trap of the fake ships, the commander of the noname looked stupid and coward, and we will never know the names of the knights; the king looked as smart and useful as the king of Chronos. Kentaro was the only exception to a general pitiful performance. All of that is so appropriate of a puppet nation, used (possibly by Darak) for the purpose of a bigger war.
    • Now I agree that both arcs has been good, not only in terms of cool fights and action, but in creating a very interesting world, with tons of political intrigues, and inhabited by those lovely assassins, the protagonists. It's a very wild and complex world; I wonder about many things: why there is an alliance of Radink? and what were the reasons for the previous war between that alliance and Chronos? Also it's interesting that a third part is getting involved in the war, the kingdom of Isiris, that is no part of the alliance of Radink, nor of the alliance of Chronos ans Silonica,... to complicate the things a bit more.
    • Talking about Isiris King and his son, in addition to the reasons given by natli, to me, the sequence of panels in this page is very telling:
    Spoiler show
    And also, he refused the goof offer or becoming a general, which it would be logical if he is a prince of another kingdom. Anyway, if that prince is not Mikael, it should have to be gohu, and in that case... poor king of Isiris.
    • Ares's romantic side is a bit silly and as naive as Ariadne. But I do really liked the narrative of the chapter 22 in presenting the bird and the birdcage (Ariadne and his jail) together with the flashback showing us how hard and rude has been Ares's life. We have the archetype of the thieve and the princess, and some others. But the narrative was really nice to me. Even more if in the flashback we could take a look over Kiron, Are's master.
    • I have read that the art of this manhwa is not good. I really like the characters design. This volume had some very beautiful panels, these two among them:
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

• Mikael's bite was just craziness!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by natli View Post
    I'm assuming we're reading up to chapter 43 for the next week?
    Yes. that would be volumes 5 and 6. It would be good to keep in mind that the current arc ends in chapter 38.

---------- Post added August 22, 2013 at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was August 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM ----------

Wow I just have read 30 to 38 chapters. This is just crazinessssss!

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

My comments on chapters 30-38 and about the whole second arc:
    • The fights were just great. Each of the monster trio (lets borrow it from OP) had his moment of shine and all of them just did it really good. If I would have to choose one I would keep Mikael vs Kentaro, but Ares vs the assassins squad was as good as that one. And my impression about the whole Minos army remains: their performance was incredibly clumsy.
    • Now I support kkck idea that Mikael is hyper-violent guy. As Barona thought there was no point on killing the six last soldiers, but he simply did it. Why? My impression is he did it not for pleasure but for some kind of anger or pain he has inside him. In other words, the guy doesn't look like a sadist, but like an assassin trying to find something. That search, that anger, makes of him specially violent and cruel.
    • The finger torture method was creepy. Ares method to protect all tries to kill the ladies, was creepy as well. Now I understand why this manhwa is marked with red sign in Batoto. I usually don’t like violence. But as a matter of fact, these blody and violent fights doesn’t bother me at all.
    • Who wants to see the flashback about Kiron vs Red-eye swordman? Ares want to avenge his master; here I throw a prediction: I’d bet Kiron lost against the red eye guy protecting his disciple. Ares wouldn't have been there, Kiros would have won.
    Last edited by ukimix; August 22, 2013 at 09:32 PM.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunno, for me the fights have gotten a tad boring by now. We have not seen baroona fight a decent enemy yet and overall it seems the whole thing is still being reduced to the trio being that much stronger than everyone else. Even kentarou did not seem to be that worthy an opponent seeing how things turned out. The bite was awesome but it kinda seems like it was still a relatively easy win. I also don't buy the whole thing about that girl following ariana around. Is she really that good a fighter? If she truly is as strong as she has been painted so far then she is basically stronger than any battle hardened general out there.

What really picked my interest though was what exactly michael has to do to return home. He was sent to survive the world but there should be some sort of standard to decide what he needs to return home and be a prince. I wonder if perhaps he has a target. It would be interesting if he has to kill the red eyed swordsman to return home, it would set him at odds with ares on the spot. Or perhaps he is aiming for the same sword ares is?

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Helena, the bodyguard of Ariadne, is a bit confusing to me too. In chapter 22 she was portrayed as stronger than Ares. But clearly she was easily beaten by the assassination squad who was easily beaten by Ares. So Ares is clearly stronger and better fighter than her. Then, it seems that, in that initial chapter (22), Ares (and the author) were just playing a bit with us, in pretending that Ares was weaker than her. Anyway, she should not be an important as the other protagonists, and I doubt the story will come back over her as much as it did.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

kkck >> For the worthy ennemies, next arc should satisfy you. If not, then the figthing in the manwha might not be for you .

Minor Spoiler concerning the next arc:
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by zelllogan; August 23, 2013 at 03:27 PM.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Where exactly are we now? I have read up to chapter 30...
    Last edited by kkck; August 23, 2013 at 04:51 PM.

New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast