Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Collective Reading of VAGRANT SOLDIER ARES by Ryu Keum Cheo

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collective Reading of VAGRANT SOLDIER ARES by Ryu Keum Cheo

I think we could do 4 per week.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

My vote go too for 4 vol per week. Then the schedule for the next weeks would be:

Sep 19-25 --------> Vol 13 to 16
    Sep 26-Oct 2 ----> Vol 17 to 20
    Oct 3 - 9 ----------> Vol 21 to 24
    Oct 10 - 16 -------> Vol 25 and 26 (end).

Let us know what you think conn-man, and any other quiet reader

---------- Post added September 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was September 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM ----------

My notes on volume 13 to 16:

First at all, the story has captivated me I'm really intrigued about how this war between Isiris and Chronos is going to end.

I'd like to share some thoughts on the way the story has been written. This mangaka is good in character's developing. The main achievement on this respect should be Mikael for sure. He wants to conquer the world, and I should say, I didn’t see that coming during the first 10 volumes and the revelation was well accomplished in terms that it was not forced or unbelievable. Also, even if Ares wants to avenge his master Kiron and beat Red Eye, the story is mainly about the relationship between Ares and Mikael, being this the main villain. After all, even if Red Eye and Mikael both have being doing their business, Red Eye didn't cheat on nobody nor betray any friends. But by far, Mikael betrayal has had much more impact on me than Red Eye business.

Mikael is a really interesting character and I wonder so much what could be the meaning of that foreteller word's when he said: "You carry a heavy burden alone that you shouldn't have to! And something from deep within your heart is trying to make its way out.".

But if Mikael is interesting character, his actions make of Ares also an interesting character. He had tried to had a friend, and the same Mikael make him recognise them as friends of him, which it was difficult for a boy like Ares. And now, Ares has known Mikael cheated on him, tortured him and tried to kill him, and killed most of his tample friends. I mean, looking from the psychological side, Ares mind and heart suffered a major twisting.

Also, talking about character development, Gohu love as much painting, that he can put his life in risk only to be able to understand and to paint... An atypical character like this one in the middle of an ocean of murderers and assassins is also a good accomplishment.

The actions scenes have been awesome, specially the introduction of Kiros. What a swordsman!

Now, definitely the art has some bad moments. And because of that in some cases, the narrative seems to be a bit rushed. The scene about General Rikiron asking for help to Icarus is clear example. Even if you know that Icarus helped only because of his strategy, I feel the whole scene deserved a general less stupid than Rikiron; and I think the author could draw different moments of his childish tantrum to make of him someone less childish and more respectable. Some panels definitely didn't help much the story.

But if the drawings are not good in some moments, I have developed some kind of liking for the author and for his notes on the art. I feel he's a little careless about the art, but he doesn't worry too much about his attitude neither. Not having money to buy ink to draw the characters, and the scanlators explaning that it's not their fault if the author doesn't know to draw straight lines have been funny revelations.

What do you think about Emergency food? Such a hero! I bet nobody would have told Ares was going to own his life to that great bird.

Now I'm beginning Vol 17 and I'm pretty sure I'll end fast the next four volumes until vol 20.

---------- Post added September 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was September 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM ----------

My notes on vol 17 to 20

Spoiler show

@kkck: This week we will be reading Vol 17 to 20 until next Wednesday. (At least that you end those volumes earlier )

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

For me the betrayal was weird in regards to the plot with the red eye swordsman. I mean, mikael's betrayal is perhaps the single greatest emotional blow ares has taken in the manga. It combines so many things and it implodes into something utterly catastrophic. We saw ares' childhood. It sucked. He forgot his mom and didn't even get to properly mourn her, kiron made him into someone who everyone hated (even if unintentionally) and he grew up with no friends whatsoever... Then kiron, the closest thing ares ever had to a father died. And so the time passed, ares joined the mercenaries and finally got friends and perhaps something even close to a family. Then we have his best friend actually kill everyone and not particularly give two shits about it.

Seeing how immense a blow to ares mikael's betrayal is, I can't imagine what sort of relevance the red eye swordsman will have in the future. The red eye swordsman does not appear to be linked to any given nation so far. Darak is weak due to the loss of the previous war, minos is not in a good situation... what sort of war could the red eye swordsman fight it that would make the whole thin memorable? So how exactly is ares' fight with him going to be epic? Is he going to casually run up to him walking down a street, fight him to the death and hopefully walk of his merry way to happiness? Honestly, after seeing the mikael thing I am thinking that the only thing that would make the final battle epic enough is for the very ground beneath the kingdoms to be turn apart as they fight (metaphorically and literally).

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    For me the betrayal was weird in regards to the plot with the red eye swordsman. I mean, mikael's betrayal is perhaps the single greatest emotional blow ares has taken in the manga. It combines so many things and it implodes into something utterly catastrophic. We saw ares' childhood. It sucked. He forgot his mom and didn't even get to properly mourn her, kiron made him into someone who everyone hated (even if unintentionally) and he grew up with no friends whatsoever... Then kiron, the closest thing ares ever had to a father died. And so the time passed, ares joined the mercenaries and finally got friends and perhaps something even close to a family. Then we have his best friend actually kill everyone and not particularly give two shits about it.

Seeing how immense a blow to ares mikael's betrayal is, I can't imagine what sort of relevance the red eye swordsman will have in the future. The red eye swordsman does not appear to be linked to any given nation so far. Darak is weak due to the loss of the previous war, minos is not in a good situation... what sort of war could the red eye swordsman fight it that would make the whole thin memorable? So how exactly is ares' fight with him going to be epic? Is he going to casually run up to him walking down a street, fight him to the death and hopefully walk of his merry way to happiness? Honestly, after seeing the mikael thing I am thinking that the only thing that would make the final battle epic enough is for the very ground beneath the kingdoms to be turn apart as they fight (metaphorically and literally).
    I think we agree. With the revelation about Mikael intentions, the most exciting plot is about him and Ares and not about Ares and Red Eye, and if the story captivates you that is mainly because you want to know what will happen with Mikael and Ares, not because of the red eye swordsman.

Now, said that, I'm not sure: do you like the plot about Mikael and Ares? Personally I really like it. I have found some things that I don't like at all, and will comment them later, but, to me, even if the story is about Mikael and Ares, it could have some good parts or arcs. I haven't read how it ends for Mikael and Ares, but I think it's possible to have an epic end even if it's not the final part of the story.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    Mikael is a really interesting character and I wonder so much what could be the meaning of that foreteller word's when he said: "You carry a heavy burden alone that you shouldn't have to! And something from deep within your heart is trying to make its way out.".
    You can look at it in two ways. One - Mikael is an asshole and tries to hide his bloodthirsty nature. His burden is the troublesome ties with the rest of Temple mercs. Two - Mikael hates being a prince and wants to live a normal life. His burden is the duty to Isiris.

@kkck Mikael derails the plotline with the Red-eye completely. Personally I love it, because that's life for you - you never know where it's going to take you. And I like works that completely surprise me.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't take me wrong, I love the development and frankly, ever since mikail was revealed to be a prince of a foreign nation it seemed pretty likely that he would go into combat with ares at some point. I just didn't expect it to be this huge a development. And it came right after showing the red eye swordsman as some vagrant without a nation who didn't care about darak or his brother. I honestly thought that at some point they would fight a final battle at a grand stage and now I don't see how that is possible. Unless it turns out the red eye swordsman is working with some even greater nation with a greater army. But that would be kinda repetitive to some degree. Unless he is working for mikael? But then mikael did swore he would help ares defeat the red eye swordsman... perhaps the promise is irrelevant at this point though. I doubt the red eye swordsman would fight for someone so much weaker than himself....

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

My notes on vol 21-24. I know it's earlier for notes on those volumes, so I wrote them in spoiler tags to prevent spoiling kkck reading.

Spoiler show

---------- Post added September 30, 2013 at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was September 29, 2013 at 10:36 PM ----------

My notes on Vol 25 and 26:

Spoiler show

I want to thanks to Zellogan, natli, kkck and all the others for sharing your impressions and letting me share mines! I hope you have had fun in participating in this collective reading.

---------- Post added October 01, 2013 at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was September 30, 2013 at 04:21 PM ----------

My favorite characters would be Icarus and Mikael. I think the story about Mikael was good, specially the idea of the twist from being Are's friend to become a world conqueror, idea that the author didn't explode in all its potential. Icarus is a solid character all the time. The battle between them both, namely the saga about Chronos vs Isiris was really entertaining and intriguing. I guess, in the end the good part is much more a story about a war between two kingdoms than a story about individual fights between warriors.
    Last edited by ukimix; October 01, 2013 at 02:08 AM.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoilers ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    Now that part of the story could have been even better if Ares wouldn’t have been hesitating about what to do against Mikael, and much more, if the author wouldn’t have tried to persuade us that Mikael, after all he did, had a good side.
    ~

This! The change from 'Leaf Swordsman' to 'world conqueror' was masterfully done. Mikael was a bastard and he should have stayed that way. Now, Mikael appearing as a ghost/memory to help Ares was ok. Mikael had a bond with Ares, which never disappeared. It made his character all the more complex and interesting. But. Mikael covering his guard who fell asleep guarding him and Mikael telling Sandra she should find another life for herself - complete failure. Out of character for a cruel and tyrannical person like him. Those were his pawns and he never hesistated to use people.

You're right that the Red-eye fight was written out of sense of duty. Mikael stole the spotlight. But again the author created a great character - Kirus. I wanted to see more of him. And where is Baroona's flashback? I was waiting for that ;.;

That being said it was a great read. I think it definitely deserves an anime and it's a shame it's not well known.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I finally get a chance to write on the ending.... Kinda as expected, the fight with the red eye swordsman was kinda boring. The earth did not split beneath their feet and frankly it was a tad disappointing that ares appeared that much weaker than him at this point. I guess it was the only option the author had to actually add some tension to the whole thing without adding a bomb that would destroy the world if ares did not kill the red eye swordsman. Even the bit with his disciple was disappointing, there was no tension whatsoever between him and ares. The only mildly interesting thing about him was his disinterest in his master which is not something which remains interesting for long (which it didn't).

I loved how the mikael thing played out though. It kinda made sense. I loved seeing the safe with the presents he got from the gang back when he just left temple. I wonder why mikael felt so compelled to actually go to war. He had his nightmares and obviously wanted to rule... but why? What possessed him to actually go fight such a huge war? Was he brainwashed by his family? Was he just insane? I would argue the story's main flaw is that there was never a really practical motivation for mikael to go this far.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I loved how the mikael thing played out though. It kinda made sense. I loved seeing the safe with the presents he got from the gang back when he just left temple. I wonder why mikael felt so compelled to actually go to war. He had his nightmares and obviously wanted to rule... but why? What possessed him to actually go fight such a huge war? Was he brainwashed by his family? Was he just insane? I would argue the story's main flaw is that there was never a really practical motivation for mikael to go this far.
    Let me disagree on this. Wouldn't work for you the fact that he wanted to rule the world? He's a conqueror. Such a very popular feature of human beings in fantasy stories and in our real world. It's like a basic of some personalities. Power, love, fear, revenge... those kind of deep feelings move the human world as ultimate reasons for human actions. I think the story covered in a decent way that feature of Mikael's personality. All what he did was done because he loved power. For instance, his nightmares could be explained as effects of a process of silence that other human side he has (the one who tried to help Ares), a process which had to be undertook to become the heartless tyrant he became.

New Reply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6