Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is it worth buying the manga if you have seen the Anime? Also what other mangas would you recommend?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it worth buying the manga if you have seen the Anime? Also what other mangas would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore1 View Post
    @TStew, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is excellent, I would suggest watching it. Others I would suggest would be Death Note, Attack on Titan (which was already recommended), Sword Art online, and Durarara.
    Brotherhood is one of the best Anime ever created(fma being one of the best manga). i would also suggest watching it, unbelievable story!

2003FMA is also good in its own right(i have a soft spot for Dante.....as like most i watched the 2003 when it was coming out)
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member littleangel's Avatar
    Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it worth buying the manga if you have seen the Anime? Also what other mangas would you recommend?

OMG you bet me with one!! I have 1 through 21.. Will get 22 and 23 when they are released and find a copy in my country (way harder than you think as manga fans are not many while anime fans like most of the country now becoming ones!!). Anyway, the manga has it's own feeling when you hold it in your hands and of course I only recommend you to buy it if you really love the manga and the series in general.. Else, it would be a waste of money if you will read if once and then throw it on the shelf like I reread the manga up to now more than 10 times (actually more than 25 but since I don't remember the exact number I would be mistaken and exaggerating).

For recommendations, I have a long list of manga and anime that I personally like and you may like as well:
    For the anime part:
    Black Cat
    Code Geass
    Death Note
    Devil May Cry (but way different than the game, keeping this in mind you may enjoy it else it will be crap to you if you are a true fan (not me))
    Elfen Lied
    Ergo Proxy
    Fate/Zero
    Hellsing Ultimate
    Hunter x Hunter
    Jigoku Shoujo (all three seasons are great but the second is my favorite)
    Murder Princess
    Pandora Hearts
    Psycho-Pass
    R.O.D the TV
    Shingeki no Kyojin
    Steins;Gate
    Sword Art Online
    Trigun
    Witch Hunter Robin (you may get annoyed by the sound of the keyboard as it is of those of late 90s and early 2000s)

Manga:
    Berserk
    D.Gray-man
    Freezing
    Fairy Tail
    Hunter x Hunter
    Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
    Shingeki no Kyojin
    Psyren

Some may be way different than Claymore but all worth wasting time on..

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

IMO I find these as the best of what I have read/watched

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Project Spirit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya know, Claymore was the manga to get me into manga, and I still haven't read many. But there are a few that stand out and have lead me to supporting them by purchasing.

Manga-
    Blame!- This is a very different type of feel than a majority of manga. The first 2 or so volumes I read were a complete mystery to me, and I ended up dropping it for almost a year. But when I came back to it, I fell in love with it's unique feel. Cyberpunk, not much dialogue, action shows all without holding your hand. Some volumes are extremely expensive...

Shingeki No Kyojin- As many have recommended...it's very similar to the Claymore feel, with it's own flavor. Pretty good.

Berserk- While I haven't purchased any of this yet due to difficulty finding them, it's hands down in my top 5 currently. The world will really pull you in like Claymore's world. But if waiting a single month for a manga chapter is hard...then try waiting a year. T_T

Vagabond- Fantastic artwork, and excellent story. Slam Dunk was also very good, finished, funny, and written by the same author....but the artwork in Vagabond tho!!!

Jojos Bizarre Adventure is good from what I've heard, and one I've been meaning to read. I've only seen the anime and played a bit of the game so far.

____

As long as people are recommending anime, I might as well toss in just about any Miyazaki movie. While this has nothing to do with Claymore, you can't go wrong with Princess Mononoke or Nausicaa (which also has an excellent manga!).

Any legit anime is difficult for me to say, because I need to revamp my favorites list.
    -Yu Yu Hakusho has stayed on that list the longest.
    -Legend of the Galactic Heroes was flawless.
    -Gundam 00 is a good ride, but Gundam Wing might be a good choice as well(I started out not thinking much of Wing, but the rewatch value made me love it over time).
    -Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop are fun rides in terms of anime.
    -Hajime No Ippo (But it may be much better in manga format).

Other than that, there are many that I both agree and disagree with that others have mentioned so far on each page. But, it's all personal preference at this point. If I can find some character or feeling I can relate to in a story, then that sets the tone for just about everything. I mean, I can't really point out any killer flaw with FMA: Brotherhood, I really enjoyed it, but I don't think it really struck me personally in a way to give a lasting impact. That is typically how things turn out...especially when things are over hyped.
    Last edited by Project Spirit; October 31, 2013 at 07:01 PM.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Claymore1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    As long as people are recommending anime, I might as well toss in just about any Miyazaki movie. While this has nothing to do with Claymore, you can't go wrong with Princess Mononoke or Nausicaa (which also has an excellent manga!).
    Princess Mononoke is my favorite Miyazaki film. It is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I would also suggest seeing that along with other Miyazaki movies.

I thought Outlaw Star was okay, but it didn't stand out to me very much. But I did watch the whole series in one day. I actually watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya the same week and it completely overshadowed outlaw star for me. It took me a few episodes to get into Outlaw Star while it only took one episode for me to get into Haruhi Suzumiya.
    Last edited by Claymore1; October 31, 2013 at 10:27 PM.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on what you're looking for, and for names no one has quoted yet :

Harem/comedy manga :
    To Love-ru / To love-ru Darkness (my favourite!)
    Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou (found it recently, very fun)

Comedy manga :
    Binbougami-ga

Action manga :
    Ubel Blatt (overlooked but very good)
    Samurai Deeper Kyo (oldie but goodie)
    Dragon quest : Dai no Daibouken (starts a bit childish, kind of old Dragon Ball, but is absolutely epic at the end. Great character development throughout the series)
    Battle Angel Alita

Already mentionned :
    Berserk
    Shingeki no Kyojin

As for anime, if I had to recommend only one name, it would be 'Hataraku Maou-sama' hands down. It was my favourite last season, and is absolutely hilarious.
    'Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo' and 'Oda Nobuna no Yabou' were enjoyable too. If you're looking for the 'desperate struggle to survive' kind, 'Muv-luv Alternative : Total Eclipse' has some epic moments, and I watched 'High school of the dead' recently.
    Last edited by dany le fou; November 01, 2013 at 03:42 AM.
    When you've reached the bottom, you can always dig yourself deeper - just use a shovel.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member TheRussianMeatClob's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Project Spirit View Post
    Manga-
    Blame!- This is a very different type of feel than a majority of manga. The first 2 or so volumes I read were a complete mystery to me, and I ended up dropping it for almost a year. But when I came back to it, I fell in love with it's unique feel. Cyberpunk, not much dialogue, action shows all without holding your hand. Some volumes are extremely expensive...
    This a billion times this! Blame! is a damn good manga and is drawn in a way that "Epic" is a very appropriate word to describe it. And so here are few other words that I would use these to describe it Hardcore, Desolate, Dark, Grimy, Mind-Rending and most important of all Ellipsis also known as ...

This video right here is what got me interested in Blame! it kinda sucked me in maybe it'll do the same for others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl9GGiwtD98

Also yeah buying all of Blame! and it's prequel Noise really murdered my wallet for awhile lol.

I also enjoyed Biomega so I'll recommend that too.

For the Anime recommendations Here's my list :

Texhnolyze
    Serial Experiments Lain
    Baccano!
    Elfen Lied
    Evangelion (all of it End of Evangelion and the Rebuild movies 1.11 2.22 and 3.33)
    Higurashi When they Cry (guess this should go under manga also)
    The Big O
    Rin ~Daughters of Mnemosyne
    Ghost in The Shell
    Spice and Wolf
    Steins;Gate
    Ergo Proxy
    Welcome to the NHK
    Excel Saga
    Gunslinger Girl
    Wolfs Rain
    Black Lagoon
    Cowboy Bebop
    Last edited by TheRussianMeatClob; November 01, 2013 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Added an anime list many of which were already said...
    ".........." Killy's opinion on most things.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

For the people who mention the Elfen Lied anime, you should also try the manga.
    When you've reached the bottom, you can always dig yourself deeper - just use a shovel.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member TheRussianMeatClob's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly it was never made in an English physical copy

But I did a whole copy and paste job of a translated version of it I found online ...my god that took forever.
    ".........." Killy's opinion on most things.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want any more recommendations or would like to share your beloved series, be sure to check out the Otaku Cafe and Otaku Theater within the forum. You might get a lot more out of there

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Number A's Avatar
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

What I'd recommend to a Claymore fan really depends on why they like the story.

If you like it because it's got girls who become something other than humans in order to protect humans but risk losing their humanity if they're not careful:
    PUELLA MAGI MADOKA MAGICA. Be warned: it's maybe a zillion times bleaker and more psychologically devastating that Claymore (I'm still not over Sakaya T_T).
    If you like it because the win-at-all-costs fight scenes of the first third are cool:
    THE HUNGER GAMES (series) by Suzanne Collins. The action in these books is phenomenally well presented and highly realistic. Even more realistic is the psychological development of the protagonist through the three books. The movies are cool too, but I don't think they do Peeta justice.
    If you like it because female bonding is an interesting theme:
    NANA by Ai Yazawa. Claymore is my favourite manga, but Nana is the one I respect the most. It's got superb character development and totally awesome clothes
    If you like it because you have a thing for stories about people on revenge quests which
    Spoiler show
    :
    VINLAND SAGA by Makoto Yukimura. Thorfinn's story is really well done and the art is cool. There's gory violence too, if that's your thing.
    If you like it because you have a soft spot for smart, badass people who are also really nice:
    TSUBASA RESERVOIR CHRONICLE by CLAMP. <3 Syaoran and Sakura. The end is kind of disappointing, though.
    If you like it because people who fight monsters in dark fantasy worlds are awesome:
    THE OLD KINGDOM TRILIGY by Garth Nix. Sabriel, the titular character of the first book, is a semi-outcast slayer of the undead in a kingdom that's been overrun by horrors from beyond the grave.
    If you like it because girls with giant swords are cool:
    FATE/ZERO. How awesome was the scene where Saber shoulder-charged Berserker with a car??! That slick black suit was totally win and OMG MOTORCYCLE!!!
    If you like it because captain Miria is pretty much everything you look for in a protagonist:
    A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE (series) by George RR Martin. Miria is my hero, Daenerys Targaryen is my god. Book Dany, that is. I've not seen the TV show.
    Last edited by Number A; January 23, 2014 at 07:58 AM.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member littleangel's Avatar
    Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

I have read the last Hunger Games (still last 5 pages left!! I know I want to read them but still holding for the right time to finish it).. Super b story.. Loved it much.. And have high hopes for the movie.
    Spoiler show

And Number A, I love that avi.. Omg I need a bigger version of it to add it to my collection of pics.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member TStew's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littleangel View Post
    And Number A, I love that avi..
    +1, and cool sig too

Thats quite a great list you got there Number A, nice how you made specific recommendations based on certain aspects of the series. I zeroed in on a few in particular, I'll have to check out your suggestions some time. It will probably take forever for me to start up an new manga though! So busy and so much going on lately I still havent caught up with Claymore.
    T~Stew

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Number A's Avatar
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

@littleangel. Here's a link to a larger version of my signature image

@TStew. People seem to like Claymore for an unusually large range of reasons. Not knowing what you see in it, I sought to be as broad as possible.

Also, there's one more series whose absence from this thread thus far shames us as Claymore fans.

If you like it because you enjoy stories about people who look scary but have hearts of gold:
    ANGEL DENSETSU by Norihiro Yagi. A charming slice-of-life comedy about a boy with the face of a yoma devil and the heart of an angel. It's got a slightly wandering narrative which takes time to develop the numerous members of its ensemble cast, totally badass girls with mad martial arts skills, Yagi's first foray into monster design, and Ikuno Shirataki. If she descends from heaven in the next chapter and defeats Priscilla with the power of hilariously inappropriate deadpan non-sequiturs I totally wouldn't mind.
    Last edited by Number A; January 24, 2014 at 01:43 AM.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2