Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: My top 10 favorite Oda's writing decisions

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

WSJ Pirate My top 10 favorite Oda's writing decisions

Check out my top 11 geezers
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...rld?highlight=

And what were your favorite Oda's writing?

Notable Mentioned: Laboon and Brook

10) The timeskipped and the Supernovas
    I really like this choice by Oda. For one, Oda rarely (or at all) had training arcs and this decision pretty much started and finished all 9 strawhats' training arcs at once. Beside, the atmosphere after Marineford arc was dreary it wouldn't feel natural for Luffy to be himself among his pals again. And I certainly do not want to see a mood change with the "always having fun" strawhats. The timeskipped also allow drastic change of the political climate in the new world. Remember when the supernovas were introduced?? I meant I didn't know what he was going to do with them. But they were plot investment, and the two years timeskipped had the supernovas in the center as the catalyst for the great conflicts yet to come.

9) Impel Down
    I thought this was a very creative way to bring past side characters into being relevant again. With every floor brought us a sense of nostalgia of chapter past. This arc made us grow fonder of Mr. 2. And Mr. 3 wasn't so bad after all. Plus breaking Crocodile and Jinbe out of Impel Down resulted in the reunion of all shichibukais in Marineford (beside the unnamed shichibukai even people like Law, Buggy, and Blackbeard was there).

8) Crocodile vs Luffy
    The initial showdown between the 2 was rather much earlier than anticipate. So we knew that the fight outside of Rainbase wouldn't have been the conclusion. And yet, I didn't anticipate how Crocodile seemingly murder the main protagonist. The climax of the saga is just a few hours away, I couldn't have figure out how Luffy will get out of that mess. Then the second showdown, and dang, Luffy lost again. Up until this point in the story, Luffy had always triumphant but geez. Then the third showdown, had it not been for Nico Robin, Luffy would have die of the poison.

7) Luffy's immunity against Enel
    One of the greatest anticlimactic events of One Piece. Enel was kicking everyone's asses. There was never this sense of doom until the CP9 saga. Wiper tried his Reject Dial and the dude restarted his freaking heart. Zoro tried to get the seastone and everyone dropped like flies. Even Nami went with her survival instinct and follow Enel. And then Luffy showed up, and Enel's epic face. O____O It completely changed the mood of the story. I didn't see it coming at all. Maybe people figure out rubber doesn't conduct electricity. But ya, back in those days, I supposed there is a lack of online manga forums. I meant with the amount of discussion and fans' deep knowledge and wiki sites nowadays, rarely does manga surprise you anymore. Wait what Tobi is Obito. >___<

6) Bellamy- the fastest KO in One Piece
    Oda was very good at making us hate Bellamy. I meant he really frustrated us with Luffy and Zoro's refusal to fight back in the bar scene. And then Bellamy stole treasures from the guy who put his health at risk to redeem his family name. We thought it would be an epic showdown. But we didn't think it would end in T-1 second. But it was awesome, and it was very very satisfy. I recalled one of my favorite One Piece reviewers didn't get the Bellamy's subplot at all. But I thought it was brilliantly done.

5) Upper Yard
    People hate the skypiea saga. Beside setting up all the major conflicts in motion. Blackbeard showed up in this arc. And on the cover stories, Ace is looking for Blackbeard. Shanks wanted to meet WhiteBeard. Sengoku held a shichibukai meeting. Thus, everything has to do with the strawhats in this saga seemed irrelevant to the main plot. But this was the saga that really gets me into One Piece since it encompassed true adventurist spirit. Upper Yard was the second half of Jaya tied everything together. The ringing of the Bell was the first and only time that an event neatly tied so many story elements together.

4) Usopp vs Luffy- the battle over Going Merry
    Man, Water 7 had such a somber atmosphere. The strawhats had undergone many ordeals before reaching Water 7, but for each conflict, they only band together. Water 7 was the closest to the breaking of the strawhats. By that I meant what the readers came to expect of the strawhats. Nico Robin is missing. Sanji disappear and reappear. And Usopp leaving the strawhats. I think considered all the stories up until even the recent story arc, this was the biggest trial that the strawhats had to overcome. The battle over Going Merry, it was heart wrenching throughout. I meant Luffy vs Usopp of all people. Sigh, you gotto feel for Usopp. He is alone with an empty ship and the Aqua Laguna is coming big time.

3) Water 7's Switcheroo
    If I love Jaya/Skypiea arcs because of the adventure spirit, then I love Water 7 for the suspense and twists. Around this time or a bit earlier, mangahelpers came into existent. So it was a really exciting time. I recalled so much discussion of who will be the next strawhats which was "Paulie." And up course, our Franky get a villain introduction. And the CP9 turned out to be Galley-La workers. So many things happened in this one arc and yet we can't really put anything together until the end of the arc. The mystery is very similar to Upper Yard = Jaya.

2) Ace's Death
    Oda doesn't kill his characters. Ya, he just doesn't. But One Piece fans did expect a death in Marineford arc but it wasn't Ace. We expected WhiteBeard to die. And everything is pointed to WhiteBeard dying. But the first death outside of flashback went to Ace. No one had seen it coming, I meant after the revelation that Ace is Roger's son and all. I think when it happened (the week the chapter published), fans were kinda angry. Because Ace died for nothing. But it was an important event in the development of Luffy. And now, couple years had passed, we look back at that moment fondly.

1) Sabaody Archipelago- the defeat of the Strawhats
    Sabaody Archipelago is one of the most interesting arc in One Piece. I recalled not really digging it as it was weekly published. The Supernovas were introduced, and pacing was exciting. We had ideas about how this arc was going to be. And DON between 2 chapters, everything changed. No one see it coming. No one can predict what going next. We were kinda stunt. We don't know what Oda would go from there. Looking back, there were hints along the way. But I don't think people could piece things together then. Even if you said you did, I would think you are lying.
    Last edited by weixiaobao; July 31, 2013 at 06:34 PM.

2. Like 7 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My top 10 favorite Oda's writing decisions

I don't have any "Top 10" as of now, because I really don't think that way about fictional stories anymore.

But definitely one of Oda's best decisions was that a character's death - once it's a sure death - is final without any chance of bringing that character back to life the way they were. And even if it means that characters avoid sure death with some ridiculous stunt, it's still refreshing to me even after (almost) 16 years.

Reviving characters was already overused at the end of Dragon Ball...

The second one was that he kept his comical plot development all along, even in times of utter defeat like back in Sabaody.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm, about resurrection. I kinda like the way they do it in ASOIAF, each time you came back, you lose a bit of yourself.
    Or the way they did in Gantz to raise the question how cheap life is.

But ya, it would be crazy if they had Ace in some test tube somewhere trying to revive him.

"comical plot development all along???"

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hokageji's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

writing decisions, how different is it from moments or scenes....

i dont have a list, but there are some things Oda would write better than other mangakas.... here are some of them...

1) deceiving us about Ace and Luffy's relationship
    With different last names, he clearly hinted that luffy and ace were not related by blood. But at impel down when Garp told Ace and luffy meeting his father, Ace said, "we both have criminal bloods"
    He chose to change his name and use his mother's last name because his father was never around.... it let us to believe that is the reason they dont have the same last name. Even wikia had quoted them to be brothers. I loved how Oda deceived all of us..

2) Silver Rayleigh's remarks about Gol D Roger

i love the entire chapter, but these comments more than others:
    "In those days seconds of his life, he transformed the fire of his life, into a raging flame that engulfed the entire world. I never laughed as much, never cried as much, never drank as much. He was our captain and a great man".

He explained how the rage of one piece was triggered by Roger. I think that was narrated in an amazing manner. I am sure there will be a miniarc covering life and journey of Roger towards the end,(like norlands story).. that would be the most amazing part of the entire story.

3) Handling Death

This is where I think Oda is at his best. He hardly kills characters, and the time he does, it was going merry. he made us feel sad and cry about an inanimate object. The funeral with Luffy apologizing to merry, and merry saying that he was happy, thats the part where One Piece became no.1 for me. I personally dislike Ace's death.

4)Foreshadow / Revelation

The various hints he places along the story and reveals them later.... he does it better than others.

5) concealing a plot
    It is very difficult to guess whats gonna happen next when compared to other mangas... when I predict and it goes the other way, odas way is always way cooler..
    6) Luffy's recovery at newkama land
    I like the voncersation between Ivankov and bon clay about miracle worker... ivankov says " miracles happen only to those who have the will to carry it on"... we see luffy's yelling stop only to stomp the door later and yell meat.... that chapter was epic

7) DF styles
    I think HxH does the best job of justifying fights and powers... OP is actually bad with unbalanced power levels with no explanation related. Chakra, nen, reiyoku all set a background to explain power and abilities. While Haki can be said similar, the main feature of power in one piece is DF abilities.
    WHat I like in One Piece is the way the abilities are used.
    We have seen rubber-like ability before with Mr Fantastic... but gattling gun, mushi, fusen all make the ability styling quite unique. Nico-robin's ability and the way she uses them is quite amusing too.

8) simple explanations

It is common in shounen that we see someone being defeated and come up with a long explanation on how that happened. I remm the last fight between mr3 and luffy, where mr 3 makes clones and asks luffy to guess which is the real one... in naruto, sasuke would have used his sharingan and boasted about it, we would have seen a bleach character go bankai and boast about the ability. In OP, luffy just calls it instinct... i found that hilarious...

9)Laboon BrooK

This is probably one of the best moments in the story. the first hint where luffy and co. achieved something the roger pirates couldnt, and found the survivors of the rumba pirates. its interesting how he explains something after 300 chapters and amazes us.

10) Zoro: nothing happened
    it makes zoro one of the greatest characters from all anime.... the conversation between kuma and zoro si epic..."what use is my ambition when i cant even protect my captain, Luffy will become the pirate king!"
    it puts zoro above all the other crew members...

Quote Originally Posted by weixiaobao View Post
    hmm, about resurrection. I kinda like the way they do it in ASOIAF, each time you came back, you lose a bit of yourself.
    Or the way they did in Gantz to raise the question how cheap life is.

But ya, it would be crazy if they had Ace in some test tube somewhere trying to revive him.

"comical plot development all along???"
    the only resurrections we will see are from Moria... we already know how that goes, i dont expect ace to be resurrected.
    Last edited by hokageji; July 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: formatting
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett

6. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hokageji- well moments and scenes is just moments and scenes. I think writing decisions have to do more with the story, plots, and or literature usages. But I like giving specific examples. Laboon and Brook is an example of Chekhov's Gun.
    http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Use_o...s_in_One_Piece

Well, I really really like HxH anime (the manga isn't in my top 20) just purely due to the friendship between Gon and Killua. But I disagree about the series is best justifying powers. Conjuration and Specialization especially. How do you even conjure some of the stuffs in that manga. In this respect, I kinda like Fullmetal alchemist's system.

Though many manga borrow from chinese kungfu or the concept of "chi" (nen or haki or what not). Chakra is actually even narrower term than chi/ki.
    In term of power and ability. I really like the incorporation of kungfu into techniques like Rokushiki: Tekkai (iron shirt), Shigan (many variation of finger jab or finger of death in Kill Bill), Geppo (qinggong). (Though Berserk is great at portraying Indian martial arts).

In many way, One Piece's abilities make more sense to me than HxH (and certainly more creative).

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member David Rose's Avatar
    Too far from sea to swim. Still inconsistent weather
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The number 1 decision he made - in my opinion - was to drastically change his artwork over the years. Over the time he moved away from a rather classic manga style to something that even resembles european comics. He is unique in that way, which is the thing that makes OP the best manga to me. I won't go into detail as there is an extra thread for that.

Also his power balance is very, very well done. I just read Fairy Tail to the latest chapter and even there it's the same as in Naruto or Bleach. Over time they all tend to fuck up their own concept of power, yet Oda prevails so far. And he never makes it too obvious how strong a character really is. We know how strong the top of the world is. But we don't know about the gap between certain characters which makes it a whole lot more satifying as stockpiling magical power on a character and then making it even more redundant by asspulling a new and even stronger villian every new arc.

>>David rose to beat the Philistines, with five smooth stones and a sling.<<

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hokageji View Post
    In OP, luffy just calls it instinct... i found that hilarious...
    I always tought that was Haki.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hokageji's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

we can say its haki now, but haki wasnt introduced for atleast 300 more chapters. while reading/watching that part, you wouldnt know its haki. and besides, instinct made it funny.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite off the top of my head is Sanji and his comic alias, "Mr. Prince" and how Sanji answered the phone at Little Garden.
    Such a massive twist was amazing.

Then it has to be having Kizaru have the slowest personality and slowest reactions.
    "The fastest character in the world that moves at the slowest pace". Genius.

Like Enel who appears to behave sluggish when he was at Birkan and showing how Enel wasn't even bothered to react to things, having the the fastest people on the planet with slow behaviours is fantastic.

15. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

this thread is a testament to why OP is so great....

honestly it could be the best manga ever, ODA's storytelling, foreshadowing, and overall plot development are unparalleled

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

He connecting of laboon and brook was just flat out genius

brook became a fan favorite almost overnite during the Thriller bark arc

and to tie him together with laboon helped cement his status as an instant fan favorite as well as a fitting member of the strawhats

who seemed to encounter them via fate or destiny or however you want to describe it

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite Oda decision IS....
    Spoiler show

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ill do my entire list later when i have more time

but #1 for me is the build up for how evil, powerful, and untouchable the celestial dragons are

and foe luffy to snap and cold cock the piss out of the obe who shot hachi

wow what a moment

New Reply