Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Thread Closed
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Shin Prince of Tennis Tournament II - Information & Discussion

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Tournament II - Information & Discussion

Quote Quote:
    So while there are probably a fair amount of people that can deal with Habu at some point (maybe not after 6 shots, but certainly at some point during the match), let alone with Shukuchihou, there are probably less people that can shut Jirou down like that.

Just as a point even though it's not a large part of discussion. Hirakoba would probably shut down Jirou in a match. With the Shukuchihou method, I think he could return the magic volley pretty easily.

The habu wouldn't even have to be a factor. Not doubting that Jirou's good but I think that Oshitari would better handle different types of opponents. SSAS would completely shut down Hirakoba.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    ... why?

It was a Drive B + Twist Serve Ryoma... is it any better than Sealed Step, improved stamina, 1 man doubles, acrobatic play (prolly also Moon Volley) Kikumaru?
    When you put it that way, Kikumaru seems better than Prefecturals!Ryoma. But its also the Ryoma that beat Akutsu. Like, its the exact same Akutsu.
    Is this saying Nationals!Kikumaru and Nationals!Kai > Prefecturals!Akutsu?
    Or rather, Kikumaru and Kai > Prefecturals!Akutsu? Since neither Kikumaru nor Kai were given notable improvement in SPoT.

Konomi doesn't either. He clearly said he has problems drawing Jirou, as he's Hyotei's No.2, but he f@cked up when Fuji destroyed him.

About your Kenya thingy with Kaoz... I dunno man, I always thought that Kenya liked to talk a lot of shit, even if he wasn't that good.
    Its one of the very few times I can say Konomi has now f*cked up a little in regards to PoT and not SPoT.
    Jirou getting slaughtered was a bit much.
    And then having Jirou not even get a look at in the Nationals didn't help either. Not even a panel of Jirou playing tennis was shown after he was wrecked by Fuji.

I wouldn't say Kaoz and I have a "Kenya thing", the evidence is really just all there.
    He is probably better than Yushi, he was a regular in his 2ndYear since he faced Mouri at the Nationals Semifinals, so he isn't some nobody since this year was his 2nd Nationals that he helped take his team to.
    Fastest MSer without question, faster than Kamio in Mojuu no Aura, good enough to lose 7-3 to Nationals!Shiraishi who is at the top end of the Nationals MS tier.
    Honestly, its hard to suggest he's Low tier.
    He and Gin split apart and played Kamio and Tetsu almost individually. He owned Regionals!Kamio with weights on.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Kenya not being low tier, I don't think he's that much stronger than Yuushi though if at all. The mutual rivalry they seem to have going on shouldn't be that strong if one was clearly superior I think. Yuushi also played a good match against Momoshiro, even though Momoshiro held back his power at first, Yuushi waited until he was behind by 4 games before sealing his heart, so we can't say for sure that it would have ended one way or another if both of them had shown all their skills right away.

Anyway, let's take this to the tier list thread, it's bound to end up there anyway.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    I believe that's what I said. And in turn this means that he had the skills all along, in other words, even without that extra bit of determination, his control for instance was very good.
    I disagree with Ryuzaki simply because at that stage, Fuji went and invented new moves. New freaking moves makes it a completely different Fuji than the Regionals!Fuji that wiped Jirou surely.

Fuji returned Habu without the 4th counter as well.
    My point was the enormous gap between Nationals!Fuji and Regionals!Fuji.
    Regionals!Fuji needed time to adapt to it. Nationals!Fuji shits on it immediately.
    Nationals!Fuji has CE+Cordball, 5thCounter etc. The gap is enormous haha.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    My point was the enormous gap between Nationals!Fuji and Regionals!Fuji.
    Regionals!Fuji needed time to adapt to it. Nationals!Fuji shits on it immediately.
    Nationals!Fuji has CE+Cordball, 5thCounter etc. The gap is enormous haha.
    Well, against Hirakoba, Fuji didn't have those things, no evolved triple counter, no cord balls, no 5th counter, no 6th counter, the only thing he had during that match that he didn't have against Jirou was Kagero Zutsumi, and he didn't need it to return Habu. The gap between the Fuji that played against Jirou and the one that played against Hirakoba was quite negligible.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, against Hirakoba, Fuji didn't have those things, no evolved triple counter, no cord balls, no 5th counter, no 6th counter, the only thing he had during that match that he didn't have against Jirou was Kagero Zutsumi, and he didn't need it to return Habu. The gap between the Fuji that played against Jirou and the one that played against Hirakoba was quite negligible.
    Actually it depends on what you would state his said improvement was based around when he beat Kirihara.
    Was all that hype he was given about completely surpassing Tezuka just about his Closed Eye state?
    Or was that genuinely Fuji they were saying had surpassed Tezuka? If you get what I mean.
    They never really specified despite the former being implied.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I see what you're talking about. I'd say it's actually kind of both. On a real power level, I'd say it included the CE state (like how he saw the flag after the match and that's what pushed him - I'd actually compare his CE state in that match to after he got serious against Shiraishi maybe?), but as a signal to the reader he was supposed to be stronger.

Basically I'd say he wouldn't have won against Regionals!Tezuka without CE, but he was portrayed as stronger if that makes sense. But yeah, I'd compare CE in that match to his serious state against Shiraishi I guess. So in context of our discussion, I'd say the Fuji in the Higa match was weaker than the one against Rikkai.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    When you put it that way, Kikumaru seems better than Prefecturals!Ryoma. But its also the Ryoma that beat Akutsu. Like, its the exact same Akutsu.
    Is this saying Nationals!Kikumaru and Nationals!Kai > Prefecturals!Akutsu?
    Or rather, Kikumaru and Kai > Prefecturals!Akutsu? Since neither Kikumaru nor Kai were given notable improvement in SPoT.
    Yeah sure, why not. Almost every important character got a huge buff in the nationals. Players like Jirou didn't get a buff at all and in the Nationals looked very weak even if they shouldn't... I guess Akutsu is one of them too.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Since this will be closed in a day and a half, I figured I'd give my own impressions of the whole tournament as well.

Starting with the planning stages, I decided to try and focus on the first and second rounds more so than the final one as far as close matches were concerned. There were two reasons for that, firstly it's safer than having to hope for the "right" people to advance, secondly, while the finals are supposed to be the most exciting matches, they're just 1/7 of the whole tournament.

As such, I attempted to make the block matches as even as possible and then focused on arranging the blocks in a way that would make for interesting semi finals for the majority of possible combinations.
    Maybe the greatest unknown variable for both singles and doubles for me was Momoshiro in this regard, as I wasn't sure how highly everyone would value his Black Jack Knife by now. Also, I restricted myself a bit with the choice of characters overall and at least in singles I wanted to avoid having the same type of player (which is why Yanagi wasn't in the high tier group), and I also decided not to use any pure power players for reasons everyone should be aware of.

Moving on to the matches themselves, high tier played out about the way I expected it to, although I thought more people would argue for Shiraishi against Yamato.
    Low tier on the other hand went completely against my expectations. Instead of Kikumaru, Hirakoba and Akutagawa winning their first round matches, they dropped out right away, especially the amount of votes Hiyoshi got over the course of the tournament surprised me.
    I can't really say anything about the doubles matches in this section since I went into them without any elaborate predictions.

As far as activity is concerned, I think we did a pretty decent job there since it was at most five or six people arguing at the same time and for that the number of posts isn't bad. One thing I'm definitely going to change next time though is that there won't be any parallel matches anymore. In I believe every round, high tier got discussed for a day and a half to two days, and it was only afterwards that the attention shifted to the other two categories (doubles more so than low tier).
    I'm also leaning towards removing low tier as a category for good as even after high tier was done for the day, low tier got very few posts (Kikumaru vs Shishido being the only exception). In exchange, a bigger doubles category should be doable.

That's should cover everything, again thanks everyone for participating and I hope you will be looking forward to the next tournament as well.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also leaning towards removing low tier as a category for good as even after high tier was done for the day, low tier got very few posts (Kikumaru vs Shishido being the only exception). In exchange, a bigger doubles category should be doable.
    Gosh no.
    Low tier was like that only because it ran parallel with High tier.
    Immediately after, we always took it to the Tournament general discussion thread for ages.
    In fact, scope this thread, and you'll find in here is mostly Low tier.

Low tier are just as interesting to me and I reckon I'm not alone on that one.
    Great characters, and basically PoT's most loveable ones are in the Low tier section like Kikumaru, Akutagawa, Sengoku, Shishido, Kamio etc.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the only low tier match that was really discussed in here after it was over was Shishido vs Kikumaru (which I already noted as an exception), although we went on a few tangents.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the only low tier match that was really discussed in here after it was over was Shishido vs Kikumaru (which I already noted as an exception), although we went on a few tangents.
    I disagree, Hiyoshi was discussed a lot here. Akutagawa was discussed here too.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

That was only because of the reveal that Akutagawa is actually Hyoutei's No. 2, not something you can count on happening again.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah sure, why not. Almost every important character got a huge buff in the nationals. Players like Jirou didn't get a buff at all and in the Nationals looked very weak even if they shouldn't... I guess Akutsu is one of them too.
    I don't think Kikumaru would come close bring 6-4 score against Ryoma. I don't think he'll even get 6-4 against Akutsu, who lost to Ryoma. And which, Hiyoshi manage to get.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    I don't think Kikumaru would come close bring 6-4 score against Ryoma. I don't think he'll even get 6-4 against Akutsu, who lost to Ryoma. And which, Hiyoshi manage to get.
    We're talking Nationals!Kikumaru VS Prefecturals!Ryoma here.
    Kikumaru knows him too well to let the Twist Serve rape him imo.

Thread Closed
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6