Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Romance in Shokugeki no Soma

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Romance in Shokugeki no Soma

The author, Tsukida Yuuto, already gave us a hint how Soma might be able to improve his cooking in the future.
    Spoiler show

Considering this quote, a romantic development within the story might not seem impossible.
    Besides, Tsukida has already introduced a few female characters who are fixated on Soma while the latter, at least for now, seems unaffected.

Do you think the author will incorporate a romantic development and if so, how important will it be?

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Romance in Shokugeki no Soma

If the main plot is not about romance, I think the first two chapters are almost and announcement that there will be some romance between Souma and Erina. In the first chapter Jouichiro gave that advice you quote to Souma; and the second chapter introduce Erina being the owner of a God's tongue, and present a tense beginning of their relationship.... It's obvious that the author is thinking on making Erina that woman for whom Souma will want to cook all delicious dishes and that she will be there to taste them. And that will take place in the framework of a romantic relationship.

Also it's a curious topic, since all sites classify the story as romance manga, even if until now we haven't had any romantic development at all. I suppose the classification comes from the impression those two first chapters gave to the readers.

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Liberia
    Post Thanks / Like

For me personally, classification made by manga aggregators or 3rd party site couldn't guarantee that Soma deserves to be called as a romance manga. I, for one, do not believe that it's a romance oriented manga as well. In the future, perhaps there will be romantic tone involved, but I doubt it will develop into something more serious than a comedic effect. Most of Shounen manga I read at least go to the same direction. But then again, who knows.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Erina loving Souma could have the kind of comedy tone of Boa loving Luffy, once all her defences have felt down. It would not be something like a deep and intense romance, but something funny to see. And all for the purpose of cooking which is the main topic of the story.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    Yes. Erina loving Souma could have the kind of comedy tone of Boa loving Luffy, once all her defences have felt down. It would not be something like a deep and intense romance, but something funny to see. And all for the purpose of cooking which is the main topic of the story.
    Sure take so long... I want Erina to cook against Souma already! But look like Souma will be dealing with the alchemist first.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

This page posted by MiyamotoMusashi was a bit misunderstood. I think that what Jouichirou said was just a thought, it wasn't said directly to Souma, in my opinion it was just a desire of Souma's father, if it will be realized is other subject. Every father desires the best to his son.
    I agree with Doraku, romance will be just for comedic effect perhaps. I think it will be the same case as Naruto, no doubt that has romance there, but it doesn't have any relevance to the main story.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

I also want my son gets a beautiful woman and that he will want to make good food to her.... Also that my wife would make better food

I think Doraku, you and me agree on that there will be some romance and that it will be used as comedic side for the purpose of coking which is the main topic of the manga. Now I think is clear Souma's father was talking to Souma and wanted to give him that secret.

New Reply