Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Saeki Shun´s art

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Saeki Shun´s art

For those who don´t know, this is Saeki Shun´s aka Tosh´s first mainstream manga after a few hentai mangas he drew. What do you think about his rather revealing art style in combination with the cooking theme of the manga, especially the overly exaggerated panels in which characters taste a meal for the first time?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member redcorpse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Saeki Shun´s art

i wasnt expecting much at first but the art style is really beautiful and the exaggerated panels dont get in the way of the story nor are they "too fanservice-y" for me so i like it a lot

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well those scenes have become pretty rare now in the manga. There wasn't even one for last Souma dish and the other ones were pretty conventional. It almost feel as if they were made only to attract the readers at the beginning of the serie. So I have a bit of a mixed feeling about it. Even if I don't want one every chapter, they were part of the charm and originality of the title. So I hope we will have a nice one for the Karaage arc

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy how its equal opportunity, if only we got more. Soma is good looking though it seems like his age varies even within the same chapter at times (36).Takumi is also one of his best, and I love the upper body of those two and Isshiki.

Shouldnt his food art be praised too?

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly though what can you really say about tosh's art apart from breath-takingly beautiful? While this title is relatively interesting, without Tosh I can't help but feel it would've gotten nowhere near as much acclaim it has received. As much as I love tosh's hentai I've always felt that he's just too good not to draw mainstream manga. His character designs are best in the industry I should say, and it's not just the female too. The food art is also gorgeous and makes you really hungry :P I look forward to more of his work in the future

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the feeling that many authors can't make such scenes of action, even when they are making an action series. XD
    Saeki Shun really conquered my respect within Jump series, and every series that I read. Probably one of the best arts in my list, if not the best one.

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Leoat12; February 22, 2014 at 04:28 PM.

9. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, one of the reason I enjoy reading Shokugeki is to see Shun's artwork evolve from being suitable for hentai, to being suitable for shonen. I don't know why but I just find it really interesting! Like in the beginning, it was kind of awkward for me to read it because the food-gasms were really suggestive. But slowly, they became more varied and not just sexual or suggestive, but also funny and exciting. I think, for a food manga, its important to show the different ways food can affect your emotions, it doesn't just make you happy or turned on.

Another thing I enjoy is how he balances out the cast with male and female characters. In general, his character design skills have improved greatly as time has gone on. The female characters are gorgeous by default, but there are newer male characters who are flat out hot (like Hayama) as well as have unique designs. Soma is going to be good looking by default, but if he was the only striking guy surrounded by good looking girls it would make for an un-even cast. (or maybe I'm bias against harems...)

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    To be honest, one of the reason I enjoy reading Shokugeki is to see Shun's artwork evolve from being suitable for hentai, to being suitable for shonen. I don't know why but I just find it really interesting! Like in the beginning, it was kind of awkward for me to read it because the food-gasms were really suggestive. But slowly, they became more varied and not just sexual or suggestive, but also funny and exciting. I think, for a food manga, its important to show the different ways food can affect your emotions, it doesn't just make you happy or turned on.

Another thing I enjoy is how he balances out the cast with male and female characters. In general, his character design skills have improved greatly as time has gone on. The female characters are gorgeous by default, but there are newer male characters who are flat out hot (like Hayama) as well as have unique designs. Soma is going to be good looking by default, but if he was the only striking guy surrounded by good looking girls it would make for an un-even cast. (or maybe I'm bias against harems...)
    Yeah, he really is learning how to draw shonen mangas. The series continues a bit ecchi, it was more in the beginning, now it is very balanced and nice to read. It remembers me Soul Eater a bit, where Ohkubo began the series with a lot of ecchi, but it decreased along the series, it was by different reasons, though.
    I believe that his experience with hentai contribute to convey the emotion when the characters taste the dishes. I've never read hentais (just ecchis very near of it. XD) and the expressions really is part of it.

I don't know about this part, but maybe it is fruit of his experience with hentai as well? The girls have to be gorgeous, indeed, but I don't know about men, I think that it is valid for both. Putting that aside, I agree, even liking of harem. Since it is not a harem manga, it is just natural a more balanced cast in terms of beauty, but the most of the series tends to have more pretty girls. It is a good thing to make a series popular with all kind of publics, girls or guys.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leoat12 View Post
    I have the feeling that many authors can't make such scenes of action, even when they are making an action series. XD
    Saeki Shun really conquered my respect within Jump series, and every series that I read. Probably one of the best arts in my list, if not the best one.

Spoiler show
    That chapter, to me felt like him warming up for a shonen battle series. I'd be very interested if Tosh actually decides to go for it. Maybe he'll try two mangas at once. This one, and another.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    That chapter, to me felt like him warming up for a shonen battle series. I'd be very interested if Tosh actually decides to go for it. Maybe he'll try two mangas at once. This one, and another.
    By what I know (Bakuman XD), WSJ has contract of exclusivity, he can't draw for another publisher while he is drawing for Shueisha. Make another series in another magazine of Shueisha sounds unlikely. We don't know about Saeki speed, maybe he is already with hands full only with Shokugeki no Soma, which is not easy to draw. Also, Shokugeki no Soma is really a success, I don't think that he is thinking about another series now.

I think, therefore, that the scenes of battle was merely because of it was suitable with the story at that moment, no hidden meaning in this.
    Of course, 15 years from now on, when Shokugeki end, he can think on doing another series. We already know that he can do anything he wants.
    Last edited by Leoat12; March 02, 2014 at 12:37 PM.

New Reply