Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Would legalizing regulated brothels be good or bad?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Would legalizing regulated brothels be good or bad?

Personally, I support the legalization of regulated brothels, since it's proven that it reduces the spread of stds( health checks + safe sex), and violent acts towards women, for instance rape and murder.
    Plus, shouldn't people have the right to do what they want with their bodies, since in a sense, it's a form of freedom of speech? Plus, these women won't be able to do drugs, since they are tested for drugs as well, unlike street sex workers( no health checks), who work to get money for drugs, and are putting their lives in danger. Furthermore, in my opinion. there are corrupt cops, who probably get a cut from this form of prostitution(street), and many women are abused by their pimps.

I feel that there are many people in the world, who would offer sex for money anyways, so you might as well make sure that it's regulated, so that we can avoid the spread of diseases, plus brothels can serve as protection against those who may perform acts of violence towards an individual who is selling sex.
    Last edited by Iceiphoenix; August 12, 2013 at 04:09 AM.

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would legalizing regulated brothels be good or bad?

Legalizing brothels would be good for the workers as well as for society as a whole. Men and women would be checked more often for STD or any problem and are free to complain about any bad person that comes in, without fear of trouble. Not only that, but the government, being greedy little shits they are, can charge tax and make more money off regulated brothels. I also think prostitution should be legalized. Just seems safer to make both legal than keep it illegal and have high risks.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

it would be great

however there is too muh human slavery involved...

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the industry so to speak already exists one way or another. People who are into this sort of thing are not about to stop paying for this sort of services even if they are for whatever reason illegal (they are not illegal where I am from but there is a lot of informality about it). Since the industry is not about to go anywhere under any circumstances even if the entire world mobilizes against it I would think it makes more sense to just formalize it and collect taxes on it and whatnot.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    it would be great

however there is too muh human slavery involved...
    there is more human sex trafficking when it's illegal though.

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with brothels if they're regulated IMO.

Regulation is necessary to prevents STIs, unwanted pregnancy and abuse by pimps.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Regulation is of course the thing to do but it has downsides as well. In the nederlands, girls have trouble to win enough money. Rent is heavy, there are more taxes ...

But still, all in all, it's better. The red light district is the safest place in Amsterdam at night: cops control the area in order for girls to be secure. But when you visit the city, it's still weird to see a church next to a big fat african prostitute who is herself next to a school (It's not a random example, I trully saw that with my own eyes). Kind of surrealist really.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danzouismadara View Post
    there is more human sex trafficking when it's illegal though.
    yes this is obvious

i think if there was a way to regulate that the brothels were definitely not using extorted human slaves

i would be all for it, however sadly most of the "rub n tug" places in america (and im assuming in other countries as well) are certainly linked to human slavery

which is very sad and very wrong

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    yes this is obvious

i think if there was a way to regulate that the brothels were definitely not using extorted human slaves

i would be all for it, however sadly most of the "rub n tug" places in america (and im assuming in other countries as well) are certainly linked to human slavery

which is very sad and very wrong
    the should make a regulated like fast-food brothel, or is that messed up? lol

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

If brothels were regulated, I would think it would be all about enforcing much-needed labour and safety standards, as well as some laws protecting competition, I assume. Then there'd be the lucrative tax revenue. Zoning laws can also be amended to ensure that not too many people's delicate sensibilities are offended by having the facilities in question "too close" to their home or place of worship. Assuming all of that is adequately handled, there's still the stigmatization of people working (and going) to these places to deal with (on a societal level).

Why do fast food/retail workers get paid so little and receive such crappy hours in many places? Is there something inherently less merit-worthy about what they are doing? Not really. Just the cultural attitude that these aren't "real" jobs. Now just imagine how sex workers would be treated if they wanted an inflation-indexed wage increase or something. You'd think the toughest, most "degrading" (I don't see it that way personally but most people probably would) jobs that "no one" wants to do would be the best paying ones, but that's not how it works. Ask a live-in nanny, for example, or a home care worker for the elderly. That's back breaking work being done, and yet people doing these kinds of work are more liable to be exploited for unpaid overtime (off the books so they have no legal recourse) than to be patted on the back for a job well done.

New Reply