Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: tekkai vs armament haki

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

tekkai vs armament haki

obviously i mean for defense only

what you say?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: tekkai vs armament haki

Quote Originally Posted by vasilis View Post
    obviously i mean for defense only

what you say?
    I say you can improve this thread by adding more text in the opening post.
    Using full sentences and punctuation.
    Like seriously... 9 Words plus a question mark is a little bit lazy, dont you think?

However, to the topic:
    I guess CoA Haki as defense is much better because it, as far as i think it works, can protect you from elemental Logia powers.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I don't think the comparison between them is entirely relevant. I get that comparing them is possible but given how each seems to work the comparison is moot because even if they can have potentially similar functions the two of them have different scopes.

Haki as a defense has been shown by rayleigh and the boa sisters at large. In those cases the attackers did not even physically reach the targets. Of course they were scenarios of haki vs no haki so to speak so the things being that extreme makes sense. In haki vs haki fights it seems like contact is more than normal at large so perhaps the situation is that haki and haki kinda cancel each other out. I guess damage would depend on the strength of the haki in question.

So then we have tekkai. Much less scope than haki but highly specific in its use. Tekkai simply somehow hardens your skin. It has been shown to be able to resist physical threats easily although enough strength can get past it (although the same can be said for haki based on what we saw between luffy and the boa sisters).

So how do they compare.... they act under different scopes and different rules so no clue. Haki is not in itself a martial art or fighting style. Rokushiki is. Haki is something inherent in all humans, it is not meant to replace or be compared to martial arts or DF. haki is a complement to both of those. In this particular case I would argue rokushiki in particular is meant specifically to work in perfect synergy with haki. It is a type of martial arts designed to make full use of all the practical uses of haki. Each and every technique rokushiki has can be significantly enhanced via haki, perhaps more so than just normal martial arts at large.

Thinking about it. Shigan and tekkai would benefit particularly well from armor haki, in particular armor hardening. Just fingers can be as powerful as bullets. Add in haki and you get cannons. With tekkai and hardened haki you get perhaps synergy between two independent forms of hardening. Its as resistant as a human body can be without a df. Of course if you add in a DF in the mix you have something worth fearing. Imagine jozu with tekkai and hardened haki. Its brutal.

Ok, when it comes to soru and geppou I am unsure of how it would work however cases can still be made. Soru is a high speed movement technique, perhaps observation haki can increase your awareness of your surroundings to further increase its efficiency. Perhaps having haki in your legs can increase the speed considering soru is supposed to work by kicking the ground a number of times really fast. Geppou can perhaps be improved in a similar manner via observation haki and armor haki would perhaps allow a better foothold. Armor haki helps when touching intangible so perhaps the use of gepou can be improved via it. Perhaps even a combination between soru and geppou is possible if haki does help improve contact.

Kami-e can easily be improved significantly via observation haki. We have seen characters easily dodge with it and kamie is a particularly good skill for dodging. Observation haki and kamie together could help perform seemingly improbable or impossible dodges.

Rankyaku probably works in a similar manner to standard swordsmanship. Zoro was able to cut monet from a distance with haki so it makes sense the same could be done with rankyaku.

Anyways, I guess my point is that I am altogether iffy about comparing martial arts and haki. They are not the same thing, haki alone without it working in synergy with something is esentially useless. Haki is meant to enhance martial arts and fruit abilities, not replace them. Even if you take cases from the manga showcasing this the issue probably won't be a matter of which is better but rather which character was stronger to begin with.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

this does bring up the thought....

what if someone could do BOTH

i beleive that would be an epic combination

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    this does bring up the thought....

what if someone could do BOTH

i beleive that would be an epic combination
    Wasn't Vergo using them both? Or was it not confirmed?

Anywho, this is a damn good question. kkck probably hit the nail on the head though in that Rokushiki may have been developed to maximize the potential of haki. I can also see Rokushiki as a way to "mass produce" strong marines who aren't adept in haki. If you can't master the spiritual aspect, you can master the physical. But because of that, there are some flaws. Tekkai doesn't allow you to move freely, Shigan, while strong, still has a chance to backfire if used incorrectly and can't be used to counter attack, etc. You have the quantity, but quality users may be far and few.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure as both are useful and have their drawbacks. Tekkai makes one nearly invulnerable to physical attacks, but what if logia power is involved, like Akainu's magma or Whitebeard's guro guro no mi? Armament haki can protect against most physical attacks and logia attacks, as well as allow one to damage a logia or paramecia user. All things considered, it seems Color of Armament haki seems to be better because it offers more benefit than tekkai.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly think tekkai is lighter form of armament haki.

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Twar's Avatar
    Country
    Estonia
    Post Thanks / Like

I've also always had the impression that although Rokushiki was introduced way back in Water 7 as sort of a mystical-yet-trainable Marine martial arts style, it is just a variation on using the different types of Haki. That is to say, I believe Oda had this concept of a power to influence physical and mental capabilities of the user when he started out (e.g. Shanks scaring the Sea Monster that got his arm) but he decided to drop some examples (e.g. Rokushiki) before he laid down the public framework for Haki itself.

It's a cool (and widely used) trick in shounen story-telling to first introduce a bizarre and abstract power-related concept and then explain it quite systematically, making it seem more realistic and attainable. It helps tie different elements of the story together retroactively. Who knows, one day we might get some more elaboration on the origin of Haki.

And I believe the visual difference between "Tekkai" (hardening with Armament Haki) and "Armament Haki" (imaginary armor with a "blast radius" when used offensively; e.g. by Sentoumaru or Rayleigh) has also been illustrated by Luffy to be different uses of the same source of power. Both serve defensive and offensive purposes, it remains to be seen if Oda decides to go into such detail that a difference in utility emerges between the two.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danzouismadara View Post
    I honestly think tekkai is lighter form of armament haki.
    I could see that possibility too, but rather see them develop it hand in hand: most marines will start to train Rokushiki once they start getting higher ranks, only to reach a masterful level and enhance their skills with haki even more, as that would make more sense than haki being enhanced by a martial art.

Vergo was an textbook example for that. One Piece Z has clash of Tekkai and hardened CoA punch, if anybody is interested.

edit: From onepiece.wikia.com Differentiates pretty nicely:
    Quote Quote:
    Busoshoku Haki is similar to Tekkai. The difference between them is that Tekkai depends on the user's physical strength, but Busoshoku Haki depends on the user's willpower.
    Last edited by Schabrak; August 14, 2013 at 09:43 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

New Reply