Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Blackbeard´s strength before the Yami Yami no Mi

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackbeard´s strength before the Yami Yami no Mi

i remember when a whitebeart's captain slot was available there was a chit chat
    between ace and teach about who will become the captain

i dont see teach being any sort of genius ,intellectual or wise man, so propably the reason would be his fighting power

the thing is he didnt have the fruit back then and also hasnt demonstrate a monstrous haki power so far...so it seems weird comparing him to ace when ace got clearly some fighting spirit

ideas?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheLuffySmile's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackbeard´s strength before the Yami Yami no Mi

He is both strong intellectual and wise.
    The three brothers

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

BB is the man who did the scar of Shanks, and that was long ago before ace.

BB was very strong and hid in BB crew waiting for his DF. He was able to wound Shanks, guys, and without any DF ! And he's not dead ^^

He must have a great physical power too. And that's what allow him to have its DF, since it "stocks" pain.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

BB must be insanely strong one way or the other, the issue at hand would be his tendency to underestimate his enemies. Just look at the beating he gave ace. Ace is someone who trained alongside luffy his physical strength. After years at the grand line it makes sense ace would have developed his physical strength considerably at least. Now, if we assume ace had roughly the same physical capacity luffy has now (safe for his gears) then the situation at hand is that BB from 2 years ago had the physical capacity to outmatch ace himself. He just removed his fruit based abilities after all, not his actual strength. From a physical standpoint BB must be insanely strong otherwise even with his 2 fruits he would not be a threat at large. He did take a hit from gear two luffy but that could be attributed to his overconfidence and perhaps the weak defenses WB claimed he had.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member KuroKarasu's Avatar
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I always wondered about that. I'm not sure if it was a good writing decision to make BB the one who gave Shanks this scar. They are both the same age so none of them had a clear advantage in that fight. We don't know anything about the fight between Blackbeard and Shanks but still - if Shanks was not "careless" and they were both the same age then this makes Blackbeard overpowered in my opinion. He could give a Yonkou a scar without a single devil fruit. Now he has two or more. Even though the Yami Yami has negative side effects too - if the fight was legit then Blackbeard is too strong in my opinion.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

i doubt we will see it
    but i can imagine, bb sucking another logia to counter ( i dont think its possible though) the weakness of yami yami
    like, *attack comes, use the other element instead of darkness, dodge attack"
    will be extremely hard for him and totally plot breaker though

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Its been cited that the situation was that BB either fleed, got his ass-kicked and escaped in the process of landing one nice clean hit.
    Shanks doesn't seem to behave like he lost a genuine fight to BB.

Its more like an exchange of blows and Shanks got hurt real bad in one exchange although I'm assuming BB got wiped and ran away back to WB where he would be under-protection.
    If he was meant to be a Division Commander instead of Ace as Ace assumed BB should have been the Division Commander,

We can assume he had I dunno... Curiel or Atmos level strength prior to his fruit which is some pretty serious strength.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vasilis View Post
    i doubt we will see it
    but i can imagine, bb sucking another logia to counter ( i dont think its possible though) the weakness of yami yami
    like, *attack comes, use the other element instead of darkness, dodge attack"
    will be extremely hard for him and totally plot breaker though
    I don't think a second logia would help WB deal with the issues concerning the yami's fruit intangibility. The reason he is not intangible is that the yami fruit attracts stuff in so by that logic his body is always solid. Adding a second logia would not really stop the yami fruit from keeping him solid. More so, in the new world intangibility is not that big a deal to begin with. Its an asset but not one that will get you a victory. If BB wants a fruit to deal with his weak defenses then it makes sense for him to get a special paramecia or a zoan with good defenses. The ideal fruit for that would be marco's at large considering his ability is far more useful and practical than a logias (although there is a limit to his regeneration).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the big deal with Blackbeard being the one who did Shanks' scar? It looked like Shanks was stronger than Blackbeard when he appeared in Marineford, but characters grow at different rates. Buggy inflicted an injury on Luffy at the beggining of the manga, but in a few arcs Luffy was much stronger than Buggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member David Rose's Avatar
    Too far from sea to swim. Still inconsistent weather
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Throughout the Manga BB was always characterized as some type of anti-Luffy. The story with shank's scar simply means that, despite his foolish acting, BB should not be underestimated. He pointed that out to WB because to him he simply was a small fry. But in the end he had a very well elaborated masterplan, that everybody fell for. So yeah, his real strength back then was his feeling for understatement.

>>David rose to beat the Philistines, with five smooth stones and a sling.<<

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

It is hard to gauge Teach's power before he ate the yami yami no mi, with so much currently unknown. Not much is yet known about him, other than a few small details. We don't even know if he is a haki user now, let alone if he had learned the ability before eating the yami yami no mi. I think it does matter Whitebeard asked Roger about D. because of Teach. I also think what Shanks said about him matters. Those incidents might not matter in determining how strong he was in the databook sense. But both incidents do indicate that Teach had made a strong impression on two very important individuals. Whatever his status in the past, he did stand out, at least to some degree.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fox666 View Post
    What's the big deal with Blackbeard being the one who did Shanks' scar? It looked like Shanks was stronger than Blackbeard when he appeared in Marineford, but characters grow at different rates. Buggy inflicted an injury on Luffy at the beggining of the manga, but in a few arcs Luffy was much stronger than Buggy.
    What matters is that Shanks acknowledged Teach was a dangerous individual, not to be taken lightly, and said so much to Whitebeard. Any difference in strength is not what mattered to Shanks. Shanks understood, from their encounter, that Blackbeard was a major threat, and hinted Ace's pursuit was doomed. Who was stronger was never the point of that scene, or Shanks warning.
    Last edited by Kaiten; August 18, 2013 at 07:29 PM.

New Reply