Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: About Petra - Contains Spoilers

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

About Petra - Contains Spoilers

The following theory comes from this:

Spoiler show

"She wrote she got the high honor to be of some use to you"
    "She was outright boasting"

I've been looking through some other chapters as well:
    Spoiler show

Here we have Petra ridiculing (Not sure if is the right word) Auruo for his attempts to imitate Levi.
    "Just stop, seriously...You're nothing alike...nothing at all..."

Spoiler show

"He's not exactly what people expect to see,you know.He doesn't look like the flawless hero they imagine, starting with his short.He's also unexpectedly tense, rude and unapproachable."
    This doesn't look like much here but the Anime makes this interesting, sometimes expressions say more than 1000 words.
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

She even knows about his past.

Spoiler show

Hmm.So Petra prefers to be around Levi than her team mates.

What are you thinking about Eren transforming Petra?
    Spoiler show

What about your team mates?

You think it's possible that Petra may have been in love with Levi?

Cause right now I am wondering cause back to Image 1:
    Petras father insisted her to get married.
    Not only that but he was looking for words:
    "Um, well, as her father...I uh..."
    Why would he do that to Levi if Petra is nothing more than his comrade?

In addition, Auruo was IMITATING Levi and he goes on about "Petra acting like his wife.", heck if you look at it Auruo even has the same Cravat Style as Levi.

I'm sure you also know of "Face to Face" moments.
    Spoiler show

Levi is finding his comrades dead, but who is the one that is put a clear emphasis on?
    Certainly not Gunter,Erd or Auruo.
    Spoiler show

I'm not saying this for the sake of shipping don't get me wrong but IMO it would give Levi a major amount of characterization if what he lost weren't just comrades but also potentially his fiancee and it would make the return of the Recon Corps tremendously more devastating, if let's say: The Father of Levis Fiancee no longer insisting his daughter to get married cause she has her life in front of her unaware she has been killed.
    Last edited by Beatrice; August 13, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

2. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kiba's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: About Petra - Contains Spoilers

I never thought of this
    good job there i think you got a point there

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I do think it's very possible she had a crush on him. I wouldn't make anything of what her father said though. That's a traditionally-minded parent, expecting his daughter to marry and have children by a certain age. He's making "excuses" for letting her into the military at all, it sounds like. Actually, the scene with the dad just really hammers home how hard it is for Levi to see his troops die. On top of that there's the potential that he knew how she felt. Even if he didn't return her feelings (so far I see no reason to believe he did actually, but either way), it would add extra pain to the already painful experience of seeing her die, I'd expect.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ImmortalZodd's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely in love with Levi, and Auruo was jealous.
    That scene when he finds his team dead was so sad, and I really wanted Levi to punch Mikasa right in the face on this page http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/30/12

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I.......... I don't know how to say this but.......

Am I the only idiot who didn't realise that was Petra??!?????!

Sh..... She died.....?

I'm...... really sad now.

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

With regards to Levi's feelings, I wonder if this page means anything?
    Spoiler show

(Chapter 30, Page 13)
    This is one page after ImmortalZodd's link, when Levi confirms Mikasa's identity: "Eren's childhood friend at the trial, right?"

Though Petra isn't Levi's 'childhood' friend, the first 6 of the 7 panels on Page 13 are super suggestive of a much deeper bond. If I'm not mistake, this is evident from Mikasa's reaction after observing his expression, and she seems to realise she's said the wrong thing after Levi's "Eren's childhood friend at the trial, right?"

It's very subtle suggestion, and by all means Levi's expression could be dedicated to all his former teammates, but the one line "Eren's childhood friend at the trial, right?" before that says to me there involves a very specific dedication to someone within the team (most likely Petra.)

Hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by Utsune; August 13, 2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added the pic

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Levi Squad was annihilated, who else could it be?

However I hate Mikasa. That last page by ImmortalZodd reminded me of it.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch Utsune!
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think she was in love with him too but we don't really know Levi's feelings. She is a trusted teammate who was with him for a long time. Maybe he was in love with her and was his confidant( childhood friend?) but she is dead now...
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member SarcasticIndeed's Avatar
    Country
    Montenegro
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, wow. Never realized this, so heartbreaking. Likewise, I didn't think that was Petra. Well, thanks for the new avatar idea.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member windy van's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooww.. I thought you are all realized this long time ago.
    Yes, I think she had a crush on him too. But Idk about Levi, it's not really obvious. That scene about Levi stopped to look at her is so sad..
    Her father words is not very convincing though. For me it's just him boasting his daughter around like what fathers do, and Levi was happened to be her superior.
    But we never know if Petra really did write something romantic about him in her letters.

'What one can do, what one cannot do, what one must do.. All These one must decide by oneself.'
    Bokura no Kiseki

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member SarcasticIndeed's Avatar
    Country
    Montenegro
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Levi really had a crush on her, but the moment where he saw her was still very emotional. (Seeing someone you handpicked to be in your crew who has a crush on you dead). It is one of the rare moments where his face shows legit feeling. It is beautiful.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member mikasaaa's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windy van View Post
    Ooww.. I thought you are all realized this long time ago.
    Yes, I think she had a crush on him too. But Idk about Levi, it's not really obvious. That scene about Levi stopped to look at her is so sad..
    Same here, it was so obvious to me! Levi x Petra is kind of my headcanon.
    Now about pages 12-13 (chapter 30), indeed Mikasa shouldn't have said that, it was very immature of her in my opinion - but I didn't get Levi's reaction to her words at all. It could mean so many things at once, like regret for losing his team and letting the Female Titan capture Eren, or maybe he's sympathizing with Mikasa about the (almost) loss of her adoptive brother now that he's lost his entire team.

EDIT: In chapter 19 (the trial) Nile Dawk reveals Mikasa and Eren's incident with the human traffickers to everyone in the room. So maybe Levi remembered that fact and understood Mikasa's obsession with her brother a little better. (AND the fact that in the past he was a famous thug in the underground of the Capital may have played a role in his reasoning and made him a little bit guilty about it all.)
    Last edited by mikasaaa; August 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

@mikasaaa: At first I didn't get the reaction Utsune pointed out either, but I think you have to pay attention to where Levi's looking at the same time he realizes he's speaking to Eren's childhood friend. He should be looking at Mikasa but instead he looks *again* at Petra. If he knows (and it's kind of obvious to everyone in the story I think) that Mikasa has feelings for Eren, then he's probably relating it to Petra's feelings for him. I love the subtlety of all of this. Great use of the medium for storytelling...

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member mikasaaa's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    @mikasaaa: At first I didn't get the reaction Utsune pointed out either, but I think you have to pay attention to where Levi's looking at the same time he realizes he's speaking to Eren's childhood friend. He should be looking at Mikasa but instead he looks *again* at Petra. If he knows (and it's kind of obvious to everyone in the story I think) that Mikasa has feelings for Eren, then he's probably relating it to Petra's feelings for him. I love the subtlety of all of this. Great use of the medium for storytelling...
    Ooh, I see now, thanks! O: Wow, what a nice catch. I mean, they didn't need to be close to the Special Ops Squad's corpses for Levi to look back in the direction of Petra's body, I get it now. Very subtle if that's what happened. Mikasa seems to realise something from the look on his face, though… ugh, there should be a thread dedicated to just these two pages from chapter 30, lol.
    Last edited by mikasaaa; August 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to punch Mikasa in the face. Thanks for reminding me.

That aside, I don't doubt a special bond between Levi and Petra, whether platonic or romantic. The 3rd page on chapter 30 is very telling of that. I don't think they were fiancees or anything though, and I think her father is just traditionally minded. Since Levi was her commanding officer, I'm assuming he would play a role in discharging her to get married, which would explain why her father approached him (and since she was technically in his care). I wouldn't be surprised if Petra had feelings for Levi though.

In general, romantic relationships are put on the back burner, but I do like these subtleties.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast