Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: About Petra - Contains Spoilers

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: About Petra - Contains Spoilers

Let me say that that scene with Petra's father has nothing to do with her crash for Levi and the possible crash of him for her.
    It seems obvious (to me) that the author wanted to emphasize Petra's death and make a sad scene, like the one on the first chapter with that mother seeking for his son, giving the character of Petra more depth.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teioh View Post
    Let me say that that scene with Petra's father has nothing to do with her crash for Levi and the possible crash of him for her.
    It seems obvious (to me) that the author wanted to emphasize Petra's death and make a sad scene, like the one on the first chapter with that mother seeking for his son, giving the character of Petra more depth.
    Nah.
    Auruo who imitates Levi mentioning the whole part with "Petra Acting like his Wife"
    Petras father, approaching Levi looking for the right words to tell him he no longer insists her to get married implying it was uncomfortable for him..Levis reaction says all.
    The clear emphasis on Petra when Levi found his comrades.

It obviously fits.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It fits thematically but the father doesn't seem to know Levi very well, and just speaks to the person directly supervising his daughter like a proud and doting traditionally-minded father would. The emphasis is on the tragic loss of a life (which he hasn't even considered might be lost), not on who she wanted to marry. I hate to say it, but I think the only reason marriage is emphasized is because she's female. An old fashioned father would talk like his little girl's greatest aspiration should be to marry. If it was a son, he'd talk about career choices like moving up the ranks of the military. :/

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Georgie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah.... I have to agree with most people here. I just think that Petra had a big crush on Levi and Levi was probably aware of that. She probably wrote letters to her dad and mentioned Levi often,and maybe said how in love with him she was. Petra's dad let his imagination run wild and became a Petra x Levi shipper. He probably was really exited at the thought that his little girl would marry the strongest man in humanity. What an ego boost. What great honor.
    Hmmm, I've seen the "it is implied that Levi and Petra were childhood friends" around the internet but I don't see it at all. Petra seems to know little about Levi's past. She knows just as much as the rest of Levi's squad.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't particularly looked into the conversation between the father and Levi until I saw this week's episode, and you guys commenting in the Anime thread. So I looked up what I believed to be the original phrase used by the father in the manga and to my surprise (not) the term 惚気 was actually used. 惚気 means to speak fondly of somebody, usually with great affection, and most importantly, about a loved one. And she's doing this 惚気 so much she overlooks how her father feels.

And then the father goes on saying, he thinks it's still too early for his daughter to marry, Petra is still young and has the world to see...

Don't want to be mean, but if the raw dialogue source I use is correct, then the translation in the scan in the first post sounds really really really off. Either that or I'm misunderstanding the translated English.

Also, in reply to comments in the Anime thread, I really don't know if there is anything about engagement, but it's obvious her father knows she really wants to marry Levi. Not specifically an egagement. Maybe, maybe not, who knows?

Excuse me while I go cry a river now

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Also, in defence of Petra's father, he's actually a 'wise' father not wanting her daughter to marry too soon, or marrying to a big name.

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

Sorry for triple posting, for anyone who's interested, dictionary is here:
    http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/%E6%83...B0%97%E3%82%8B

Petra's crush is not a mystery anymore, but whether she's engaged or not... well...

Personally I don't think so, but hey.

6. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Georgie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

another ~controversial~ topic, just like the whole Reiner might be gay thing. I guess we will have to wait for some official English translations.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Highgarden
    Post Thanks / Like

Question: the way Auruo puts it, e.g. "don't tell me I forgot about us getting hitched for you to be acting like my wife" seems to imply that he was trying to, in a cocky way, say something to the end of "wow I can't remember us getting hitched/being an item, yet you're acting like my wife"- which would imply that to Auruo's knowledge, Petra had an unrequited crush on Levi, not that they were actually involved. That would make it seem like he's teasing her about her crush while imitating Levi.

Does anyone have access to the original/raw for this bit? Because it would kind of contradict the idea that they were romantically involved, unless Auruo simply had no idea... which is possible, but considering how close the squad seems to have been, I'm not sure how likely...

Personal interpretation/speculation:
    Spoiler show

Hence I am hesitant, even with this reveal to necessarily consider them to have been romantically involved and more inclined to stick with the "unrequited crush" for now... unless Isayama decides to tell us more, or if Auruo's dialogue was translated incorrectly that is Just for now...

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
    Question: the way Auruo puts it, e.g. "don't tell me I forgot about us getting hitched for you to be acting like my wife" seems to imply that he was trying to, in a cocky way, say something to the end of "wow I can't remember us getting hitched/being an item, yet you're acting like my wife"- which would imply that to Auruo's knowledge, Petra had an unrequited crush on Levi, not that they were actually involved. That would make it seem like he's teasing her about her crush while imitating Levi.

Does anyone have access to the original/raw for this bit? Because it would kind of contradict the idea that they were romantically involved, unless Auruo simply had no idea... which is possible, but considering how close the squad seems to have been, I'm not sure how likely...

Personal interpretation/speculation:
    Spoiler show

Hence I am hesitant, even with this reveal to necessarily consider them to have been romantically involved and more inclined to stick with the "unrequited crush" for now... unless Isayama decides to tell us more, or if Auruo's dialogue was translated incorrectly that is Just for now...
    Thanks for the insight, I really love your explanation. I found what I think is the original text by your suggestion, and it seems the translation is quite off, no offence to the people who did it but... it should go something like this:
    After being told to stop acting like Levi,
    Oruo: ......!!
    Oruo: Heh... You gonna tie me down, Petra? You're still a long way to go to be fitting for my wife.
    Petra: It would've been better if you just bit your tongue off and die...
    Oruo: ...That ain't funny as a joke to your comrade...

I would think Oruo kinda knows Petra's crush... Oruo definitely cares about her no doubt, whether romantically or not I cannot say... But I'm actually wondering more about Oruo's "......!!" after being told to stop acting like Levi... (plus also, the line "You're nothing alike," though this is not quoted in the source above, I'm trusting the scanlation for this line despite being a bit dodgy at places...)

Any comment on this?

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

My opinion on this is right along the lines of Titanick (& Yumpo) in the anime thread, and Faerie in this one. There's lots to suggest Petra had a massive crush on Levi, to the extent that probably everyone around her could tell (probably including Levi himself). That in itself is enough to make him take it especially hard if she dies-- he feels even more responsible because of that than he already did as her supervisor. Not saying he definitely didn't have romantic feelings for her in return but only that we might have a very good case for her side of it but not for his. As for "engagement" or "marriage," that sounds to me like her father's wishful thinking but I agree with you Utsune, I may have misunderstood his intentions earlier, if the anime version is correct. In the anime he said she had a lot to see/do/experience before she weds. That sounds more like he wants her to live for herself for a while before getting "tied down" in a marriage. He surely approves of someone as impressive as Levi to be someone she would eventually marry though, and I think that's why he spoke to Levi in the excited way that he did. His daughter's letter(s) probably gave him a rather rosy idea of how things were.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

I just by total coincidence came across where someone who claims to be a harcore Levi/Petra fan explained things in great detail, including raw manga pages to clarify:

http://nagisayuu.tumblr.com/post/585...lied-about-the

13. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Highgarden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    After being told to stop acting like Levi,
    Oruo: ......!!
    Oruo: Heh... You gonna tie me down, Petra? You're still a long way to go to be fitting for my wife.
    Petra: It would've been better if you just bit your tongue off and die...
    Oruo: ...That ain't funny as a joke to your comrade...
    Brilliant, thank you! Now, I haven't had coffee yet, so I hope I'm making sense:

Though this is slightly different, I feel it still fits my train of thought:
    You know, when you have a crush on someone and people tease you: "you're acting like a girlfriend" (tying him down")- the unspoken part of that sentence is commonly understood to be "even though you're not",
    and (ouch) "you're not girlfriend (wife) material (yet)".

Since Oruo knows about her crush, it would seem logical that he'd know of any romantic involvement as well.
    Yet his choice of words seem to be aimed at someone who isn't, but wishes they were.
    Petra's dad is convinced they were so seriously involved that marriage might be considered, implying a certain level of security in the relationship, but she replies:

"It would've been better if you bit your tongue off and died"

Petra is clearly on the defensive, and aggressive about it. Which she wouldn't need to be if they were involved...

If they were, however newly, (ignoring that his words don't match that scenario) she would probably have said something like "You're just jealous" or blush or shrug it off - because these jabs are meaningless to someone who knows their feelings are requited. It makes me think that what she told her dad was indeed more wishful thinking than reality.

About Oruo's "....!!" he clearly admires Levi and I believe he's insecure about himself- hence he frequently imitates Levi, and hence the aloof way he addresses Eren at first.
    He's the type who wishes he was the top dog but isn't, hence he needs to boast and imitate to give himself the impression that he's a big man.
    But people obviously see right through it. He reminds me a lot of the standard silly but harmless tryhard you find in mmorpg's, but in a weirdly endearing way

"You're nothing alike" I'd say is Petra pointing out to him "You're not as awesome as you want to be", just like he points out to her "You're not his gilfriend like you wish you were".
    It's interesting because they both seem to have a bit of a delusion about themselves, and they both point it out to each other...

So basically, I don't think there's much evidence to suggest that Levi felt the same way about her, if not the opposite at this point.
    For now, I'm still inclined to think he cared for her and probably wanted to keep her safe, but not in a romantic way, while she had such a huge crush on him

15. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    My opinion on this is right along the lines of Titanick (& Yumpo) in the anime thread, and Faerie in this one. There's lots to suggest Petra had a massive crush on Levi, to the extent that probably everyone around her could tell (probably including Levi himself). That in itself is enough to make him take it especially hard if she dies-- he feels even more responsible because of that than he already did as her supervisor. Not saying he definitely didn't have romantic feelings for her in return but only that we might have a very good case for her side of it but not for his. As for "engagement" or "marriage," that sounds to me like her father's wishful thinking but I agree with you Utsune, I may have misunderstood his intentions earlier, if the anime version is correct. In the anime he said she had a lot to see/do/experience before she weds. That sounds more like he wants her to live for herself for a while before getting "tied down" in a marriage. He surely approves of someone as impressive as Levi to be someone she would eventually marry though, and I think that's why he spoke to Levi in the excited way that he did. His daughter's letter(s) probably gave him a rather rosy idea of how things were.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

I just by total coincidence came across where someone who claims to be a harcore Levi/Petra fan explained things in great detail, including raw manga pages to clarify:

http://nagisayuu.tumblr.com/post/585...lied-about-the

Oooooh okay. This is embarrassing to admit but I actually had no idea what Oruo was on about "tying down" until now. Either I was too tired or I personally see marriage differently so that completely skipped me ==" And yes for the 'responsibility' point of yours... with all these, wow this is super hard on Levi, more so than I ever imagined.

And haha! Thanks for finding that. Not surprised there's everything on the Internet... for such a great but tear-jerking scene, enhanced even more by the anime interpretation. But since I don't have access to the raws yet, I wonder how many more significant scenes there are with dodgy translation...... Now that both of the scenes discussed just now have been reconsidered...

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
    Brilliant, thank you! Now, I haven't had coffee yet, so I hope I'm making sense:

Though this is slightly different, I feel it still fits my train of thought:
    You know, when you have a crush on someone and people tease you: "you're acting like a girlfriend" (tying him down")- the unspoken part of that sentence is commonly understood to be "even though you're not",
    and (ouch) "you're not girlfriend (wife) material (yet)".

Since Oruo knows about her crush, it would seem logical that he'd know of any romantic involvement as well.
    Yet his choice of words seem to be aimed at someone who isn't, but wishes they were.
    Petra's dad is convinced they were so seriously involved that marriage might be considered, implying a certain level of security in the relationship, but she replies:

"It would've been better if you bit your tongue off and died"

Petra is clearly on the defensive, and aggressive about it. Which she wouldn't need to be if they were involved...

If they were, however newly, (ignoring that his words don't match that scenario) she would probably have said something like "You're just jealous" or blush or shrug it off - because these jabs are meaningless to someone who knows their feelings are requited. It makes me think that what she told her dad was indeed more wishful thinking than reality.

About Oruo's "....!!" he clearly admires Levi and I believe he's insecure about himself- hence he frequently imitates Levi, and hence the aloof way he addresses Eren at first.
    He's the type who wishes he was the top dog but isn't, hence he needs to boast and imitate to give himself the impression that he's a big man.
    But people obviously see right through it. He reminds me a lot of the standard silly but harmless tryhard you find in mmorpg's, but in a weirdly endearing way

"You're nothing alike" I'd say is Petra pointing out to him "You're not as awesome as you want to be", just like he points out to her "You're not his gilfriend like you wish you were".
    It's interesting because they both seem to have a bit of a delusion about themselves, and they both point it out to each other...

So basically, I don't think there's much evidence to suggest that Levi felt the same way about her, if not the opposite at this point.
    For now, I'm still inclined to think he cared for her and probably wanted to keep her safe, but not in a romantic way, while she had such a huge crush on him
    Thanks, I get this so much more now lol. Don't wanna turn this into a gender thing but insights on your part is really pouring coffee on my male brain...

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member mikasaaa's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

kannazuki, thanks a lot for the link! Utsune and Faerie, that was awesome … I agree with everyone's views here. We can't deny that the anime is adding a little bit more of romance into SnK, just the right amount to make this series even more awesome. If possible, I'm shipping Levi x Petra even harder (and Auruo x Petra as well, which is just as tragic).

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikasaaa View Post
    kannazuki, thanks a lot for the link! Utsune and Faerie, that was awesome … I agree with everyone's views here. We can't deny that the anime is adding a little bit more of romance into SnK, just the right amount to make this series even more awesome. If possible, I'm shipping Levi x Petra even harder (and Auruo x Petra as well, which is just as tragic).
    But they are dead now...
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nanozom's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    But they are dead now...
    Which is what makes it tragic.

Country
    Highgarden
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Utsune Glad I could add something useful. Regarding "dodgy" translations, I've started picking up the original volumes because of this... slowly though, as they are more than twice the normal price here, sigh.

Oh, and regarding the anime, I actually felt that it actually kind of hinted very nicely at the squad's team-dynamics and feelings of responsibility...
    Emphasis was put on all the dead, with the added scenes (which I loved), plus we have Eren, who also specifically recalls Petra when reflecting on his choice to trust them..
    I believe Petra (being sort of "the chick" of the team) was important to them all, there was a certain protectiveness there, and I'm glad this was hinted at a bit more. Loosing her, for the guys must've felt like they failed her, first Oruo's anger, then Levi's pained expression, and Eren screaming and letting loose on Annie with her image in mind. If any of that was in a romantic way is up to the imagination, but to me... I kind of see them all as a dysfunctional little family who was very close... but, unfortunately they're all gone now

Excuse me, I've got to find some tissues...

---------- Post added September 13, 2013 at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was September 08, 2013 at 12:35 PM ----------

Apologies for bumping this thread back up, but I found a snippet about Petra.. not sure if it's been posted anywhere else, but maybe someone finds it helpful. Sorry about the image quality.

Last edited by Faerie; September 08, 2013 at 01:42 PM.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast