Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: I need help with an English sentence

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ana Clara's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I need help with an English sentence

I don't understand the meaning of "kinda how a feel now" (on the last but one balloon).
    Spoiler show

Context:
    The white-hair guy (Yukina) is felling sorry about not been able to trust in the black-hair guy (Kisa).
    Yukina saw Kisa meeting with another guy in a cafe, then Yukina thought Kisa was cheating him, but actually Kisa was just working.

Intl Translator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sohma Riku's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I need help with an English sentence

I think the "Kinda how I feel now." should be interpreted as "I feel so embarrassed.", but without seeing the original Japanese page I can't be completely sure. (But it's probably the only thing that makes sense.)

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aarowaim's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

'Kinda' is usually used to express something like 'kind of'/'a little bit'. I usually hear 'kinda how I feel' as a somewhat annoyed response to someone who ignores how they're making you feel, yet is talking to you about someone else doing the same thing to them. For example:
    A: "I feel like C is ignoring me all the time "
    B: "Now you know how I feel"/"(that is) Kinda how I feel" (talking about how A has been ignoring him lately)

In all likelihood, Sohma Riku has the best alternatice, as the comment appears to be Yukina's. All logic shoots down the possibility that the comment is Kisa's, not only because of its position, but also because of the context. The honest fact of the matter is that people make mistakes regularly, so if something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't.

Either way, the best confirmation is the original Japanese, as it is either the reason they chose to make that translation, or it will let you know their mistake.
    Last edited by Aarowaim; August 15, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
    There is a fine line between bad and good, and an even finer line between good and great.
    Even the most impossible dreams can become possible with time.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ana Clara's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked a friend who lives in Japan to send me the original page, so maybe we will know if it's a translation mistake. Anyway I will read the chapter once again to confirm if Kisa is like A and Yukina is like B.
    /August 15/

Unfortunately, she could only find the chinese raw for me. So, I tried to translate by google.

Spoiler show

/August 25/
    Last edited by Ana Clara; August 25, 2013 at 05:59 PM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Clara View Post
    I asked a friend who lives in Japan to send me the original page, so maybe we will know if it's a translation mistake. Anyway I will read the chapter once again to confirm if Kisa is like A and Yukina is like B.
    /August 15/

Unfortunately, she could only find the chinese raw for me. So, I tried to translate by google.

Spoiler show

/August 25/

Hi Ana, here's my take on the Chinese→English

*嘀嗒*
    *Drip*

那個
    Umm

剛才真是對不起
    I'm really sorry about just now

都說沒關係了
    I told you, don't worry about it

説話回來 我真是太遜了
    Speaking of which, that was so lame

到底在做什麽啊
    What was I even doing? (T/N: "What was I even thinking?" could be a possible translation depending on situation)

(真難看)
    ([That was] So embarrassing)

啊―――
    Ah (T/N: I'm guessing it's an "Ah" in agreement.)

I would take it with a pinch of salt, because a lot of Japanese→Chinese I see are usually very liberally translated... XD
    Hope this helps!

EDIT: The bold bit is probably what you're looking for.
    Last edited by Utsune; August 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that the "kinda how I feel" is something the translator or editor wrote about himself...seen a few of them do that, so the translator/editor is saying he feels like the character
    really unnecessary but, they do it

you can usually tell by the text font used, and the placement as well

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

@DeathDealer
    If you only judge by the English version, then maybe. But the Chinese version wrote something similar as well, not to mention the fact Chinese layout is same as Japanese, (and it is very easily to choose a similar font,) meaning the placement of the Chinese text is mostly likely exactly the same in the original. In this case, the use of font and placement for the said dialogue is very common in manga, especially in lighthearted scenes.

@Ana
    Whoops I didn't read the above posts properly so I completely missed the fact Sohma Riku has already accurately guessed the line... ^^;
    Also, about the Chinese translation, although I did say they translate very 'freely,' you can usually count on the Chinese to retain the precise emotions and feelings from the characters. In that sense, you can safely rely on it.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply