Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 589 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: These two titans look a lot like... [Manga spoilers]

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ForMotherRussia's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Titans and their human look-alikes

While reading this manga, i had an uneasy feeling that the faces of the mindless titans were already shown during the story's development.
    In this thread i'd like to start collecting the titans and their look-alikes for i think that it may give us as readers a deeper insight into them and maybe some clues on what exactly they are and how they come to life.

I'll start with the one i noticed after reading the sidestory chapter.
    Spoiler:  First one show

Now, we may argue that this could simply be the author's mistake, but nevertheless, it is still worth mentioning.
    I hope you guys will pitch in with your examples as well.
    It may be too much, but so far there weren't that many titans to take into account, and furthermore, from my point of view, due to the monthly releases every single detailed face that the author has drawn can bear its meaning and a clue to the further story development.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Titans and their human look-alikes

Are you sure that your statement is temporally correct?
    I meant: titan from Ilse story is from a long ago (can't remember how many years) while the guy from the Scouting Legion is more recent nope? Or I'm wrong?
    However this thread can be useful as a TITAN FINDER for report titans already appeared 2+ times and the suspects TITAN SHIFTER (cuz even if your statement is temporally incorrect nothing denies that the SL guy is a Ymir-like shifter and that he could be a mindless titan when he met Ilse)!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ForMotherRussia's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teioh View Post
    Are you sure that your statement is temporally correct?
    I meant: titan from Ilse story is from a long ago (can't remember how many years) while the guy from the Scouting Legion is more recent nope? Or I'm wrong?
    However this thread can be useful as a TITAN FINDER for report titans already appeared 2+ times and the suspects TITAN SHIFTER (cuz even if your statement is temporally incorrect nothing denies that the SL guy is a Ymir-like shifter and that he could be a mindless titan when he met Ilse)!
    Nah, i think you've messed up the timeline a little bit.
    The guy from the scouting legion is seen in chapter 1 ( before the attack of the armored titan on wall Maria) - 5 years ago. I'm assuming he's dead since he was giving out the orders in chapter one and now the commander of the scouting legion is Irvin Smith
    The sidestory with Ilse happened a year ago (which is mentioned when they find their journal) http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/16/18 - middle right panel
    Last edited by ForMotherRussia; July 16, 2013 at 01:29 AM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

We should be clear the side story with Ilse is *at least* a year ago. We don't know the exact date they found Ilse's journal. But yes, otherwise, that other dude was seen 5 years ago in chapter 1. I thought he'd survived that assault though. *goes to check* Yeah, I think the squad leader is the one who gives an arm to the dead guy's mother.

But whose resemblance are we supposed to see in your image above? I don't think that titan resembles that squad leader...

In any case we started a list of potentially important titans in the "does anyone recognize these titans" thread. There are no pictures for them as of yet, tho...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Huesoman's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

The user Salgabri posted in another forum that the titan that ate Eren:
    http://mangafox.me/manga/shingeki_no...1/c004/39.html
    is the same that work with him in the fields prior to his training:
    http://mangafox.me/manga/shingeki_no...04/c015/2.html
    so maybe there is something?

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member mikasaaa's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

These two titans look a lot like... [Manga spoilers]

Warning: This is probably me being paranoid, but I think it's worth a shot. These manga panels I've put together speak for themselves. Most of them are from Chapter 35.

Spoiler show

Yeah, I'm implying somehow Gunter and Auruo have been turned into titans even though we've seen their dead bodies. (And yes, the repeated lower right panel shows these two chomping on poor Mike!) Also, Petra and Erd could have met with the same fate, but I dunno. Will the Special Ops squad come back to haunt Levi? (though I think someone did fell titan!Gunter when it reached Castle Utgard.) Guys, I KNOW it's crazy, but we know Isayama loves () to play with panels. Anyway, this is all in good fun, so discuss. Let me know what you think.

UPDATE as of chapter 49: Say hello to our newest dead-character-look-alike titan…

Spoiler show
    Last edited by mikasaaa; September 08, 2013 at 11:05 AM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: These two titans look a lot like... [Manga spoilers]

WoW Good find!! They do look alike. As far as we know they were never devoured so how did they turn. Did Ape titan find their bodies and turn them?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Which chapter did they die in and which chapter did they appear in later? o_O
    -

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    Which chapter did they die in and which chapter did they appear in later? o_O
    They died before these Titans were first seen...

Died - 28
    These were shown in 35.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member SarcasticIndeed's Avatar
    Country
    Montenegro
    Post Thanks / Like

Good find.

It seems Shingeki no Kyojin is going to end up the same as The Walking Dead. You die, you turn. Though there must be something (or someone) else to trigger the transformation... like the Ape Titan. Come to think of it, what Grisha did to Eren could just be making his transformation automatic upon death. Using the serum on dead people should work as well then..

I wonder if there is a way to save these titans. What if Levi ends up having to fight Petra? That would be sad.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for compiling!
    I can't deny the resemblance, and if this is a trend, there're bound to be more cases like these in the near future.
    From what I've been told, I think there are more that's been shown up until now.

If the basic idea of turning is true, then I wonder if there's a difference between turning from someone who's dead and turning from someone who's still alive? For example, dead bodies become the more 'useless' Titans by default...... or something like that. I'm not too sure where the 'mindlessness' comes in though. Connie's mom and Ymir's servant did get a bit of 'consciousness,' if I could call it that. Then again, the once 'mindless' Ymir apparently stole the power of Titans, unless she kinda got messed up half-dead like Eren... (She did say she "died" once, but not too sure if she meant that metaphorically or literally) Well we'll have to hear more of her story :|

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member SarcasticIndeed's Avatar
    Country
    Montenegro
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    Thanks for compiling!
    I can't deny the resemblance, and if this is a trend, there're bound to be more cases like these in the near future.
    From what I've been told, I think there are more that's been shown up until now.

If the basic idea of turning is true, then I wonder if there's a difference between turning from someone who's dead and turning from someone who's still alive? For example, dead bodies become the more 'useless' Titans by default...... or something like that. I'm not too sure where the 'mindlessness' comes in though. Connie's mom and Ymir's servant did get a bit of 'consciousness,' if I could call it that. Then again, the once 'mindless' Ymir apparently stole the power of Titans, unless she kinda got messed up half-dead like Eren... (She did say she "died" once, but not too sure if she meant that metaphorically or literally) Well we'll have to hear more of her story :|
    Maybe it's like this? :

Dead Person -> Mindless Titan -> Eat a Shifter/Steal the Power -> Shifter Titan
    Alive Person -> Serum Injection -> Death -> Shifter Titan

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member mikasaaa's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticIndeed
    Come to think of it, what Grisha did to Eren could just be making his transformation automatic upon death. Using the serum on dead people should work as well then..

I wonder if there is a way to save these titans. What if Levi ends up having to fight Petra? That would be sad.
    Maybe Grisha did it because he thought his son would be in danger after Wall Maria was breached, and for whatever obscure reason he had do flee so the only way to protect his remaining family would be by injecting Eren with the serum?

Levi fighting his deceased squad would be even more tragic than him finding their corpses in the forest. );

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune

These are very good points. Also, remember that it was implied that Eren almost became a mindless titan twice (first in Trost and then vs. the Female Titan) and even Annie had to stop it from happening by pulling him out of his rage. Looking at it this way, if a shifter can become 'mindless' perhaps it's possible to regain their sanity in some way (Ymir)?

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticIndeed
    Dead Person -> Mindless Titan -> Eat a Shifter/Steal the Power -> Shifter Titan
    Alive Person -> Serum Injection -> Death -> Shifter Titan
    Indeed. But I don't think Eren (or Ymir, I dunno) truly died, more like they went through a big trauma that triggered their shifting abilities / memories… I'd only change the Death part to Death / Trauma.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member winterwyrm's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Toriko Re: These two titans look a lot like... [Manga spoilers]

Quote Originally Posted by mikasaaa View Post
    Thanks, everyone!

Maybe Grisha did it because he thought his son would be in danger after Wall Maria was breached, and for whatever obscure reason he had do flee so the only way to protect his remaining family would be by injecting Eren with the serum?

Levi fighting his deceased squad would be even more tragic than him finding their corpses in the forest. );

These are very good points. Also, remember that it was implied that Eren almost became a mindless titan twice (first in Trost and then vs. the Female Titan) and even Annie had to stop it from happening by pulling him out of his rage. Looking at it this way, if a shifter can become 'mindless' perhaps it's possible to regain their sanity in some way (Ymir)?

Indeed. But I don't think Eren (or Ymir, I dunno) truly died, more like they went through a big trauma that triggered their shifting abilities / memories… I'd only change the Death part to Death / Trauma.

It's very unlikely that levi will have to fight petra since she was not eaten in any case.

I suspect that it's the serum that was transferred to ymir when she munched on that guy from renier's village, I've also had a theory for a little while now that renier and bert need eren in order to turn a specific titan into a shifter, imagine if, say their village's leader was turned into a titan, or if they have a specific, powerful titan captive, and they tire out eren and then offer him to the titan, turning him/her into a shifter for whatever gains they need, perhaps their entire intention of attacking the kingdom may have been to find the serum which they somehow knew the kingdom possessed.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking this as well. I've also noticed that these 2 Titans (which the story randomly has focused on) in http://mangafox.me/manga/shingeki_no.../c018.5/7.html and http://mangafox.me/manga/shingeki_no...1/c004/39.html have human look-alikes earlier on. Look at the 2 guys in the middle panel here next to Eren and Mikasa http://mangafox.me/manga/shingeki_no...04/c015/2.html
    It could just be Isayama's drawing technique, but those people/Titans have more face detail than normal and have the frames randomly show them clearly. And the Titans that look like Gunter and Auruo appeared more than once which is what got my attention (so Isayama must have had some thought when doing them), they were also with the Ape-Titan. And the Titan with the huge head seems to bare a bit of resemblance to Erd, but I probably only see that because of the other 2.
    Last edited by epictoads; August 23, 2013 at 02:45 PM.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast