Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: Shima's art is weird...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Toriko Shima's art is weird...

Why do you guys think Shima drew that Toriko cover with the Galala's tail in the background with so much better anatomy and detail than for example the picture with the Gourmet 4 Big Super Hunters?

Here they are: http://www.imagebam.com/image/d80972139794036 (2008?) , http://www.imagebam.com/image/7c412f268309035 (2013?) .

I know that having no time to work on the chapters each week might result in having no time to draw with highest level of detail, but these are covers? He should have time to make those really cool, and the second picture is just wrong... Their heads are so small... How can he make the Galala Toriko so epic and proportionate in 2008 and in 2013 make something so mediocre (going by what he has drawn in the past).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member winterwyrm's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shima's art is weird...

I know that tori's tiny head in that picture looks a bit odd, but that's really just because his body is so tall and muscular even regarding the neck.

Anyways, I would actually say the more recent one is more detailed, look at sani's hair, coco's clothing and the shading on his poisoned hand, zebura's scars and tori's wrinkled clothing, it's really a lot of detail compared to the rather large and lumpy croc's scales which look like they may have just been reproduced everywhere you see them like a grid.

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

It's like the two were drawn by a different person...

Let's not concentrate on the Galala's tail, okay :P?

Seriously, you think the second picture is better?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KungPaoChicken's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's for a certain image he's trying to aim for in that specific page. The manga drawings are still top notch though.

Also. I miss my man Coco.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Mas2001's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I just think the mangaka's drawing is just getting better over the years. Look how One Piece looked in there first volumes, till now. Also how more populair the manga becomes the more staff comes with the mangaka. I find it nice to see the drawings getting better and better in the years. I see it as a big plus
    Last edited by Mas2001; August 18, 2013 at 07:38 AM.

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Really? Am i the only one whot thinks that his art is getting worse?

Shima at his "best" - http://www.mangareader.net/toriko/133/15 . Seriously, what happened? As far as i remember this page was never fixed for the volume?

Also does anyone know how many additional pages there are in total? I know that there were 3 additional pages with Jirou on that alcohol sland, 1 panel of some division of the Gourmet Knights, 1 panel that has Amaru's dish list and 1 or 2 pages additional paged when Jirou faced the Bishokukai. Is that all? I'm at chapter 199 btw.
    Last edited by Freezer; August 18, 2013 at 09:03 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, Im glad to know that your at chapter 199 because I was about to post some stuff from after than, but I think his art has improved with time, alot actually he's not as rough around the edges.

This is one of Shima's best pages to me and its after chapter 133 http://www.mangahere.com/manga/toriko/c186/17.html You probably saw It, and its one of his better pictures.

Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha yes. Read a little more ahead and see the artwork improve. Wait till the Star v Toriko fight. Your minds going to get effed.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    Shima at his "best" - http://www.mangareader.net/toriko/133/15 . Seriously, what happened? As far as i remember this page was never fixed for the volume?
    "at his best" = 2 years ago, there are 100+ more chapters after that.

The page simply wasn't finished, because he probably wasn't able to finish it in the deadline, and instead of not having a chapter, they released it like this. And it was fully drawn for the volume - http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...us_Unicorn.jpg

There are much more additional pages than those that you mentioned. A lot of chapters had extra panels or extra page in the volume version. I can't name all of them, but the first that come in my mind are a faucet cactus in the desert; characters celebrating in Toriko's Sweet House and starting eating it; talk between Aimaru and Toriko in Eco Land and much more. In the recent volumes, Shima even released some pages that didn't make the cut and was left out of the chapters: Toriko blocking Sasori Magyuu attack; beast attacking Toriko when he was going to Honey Prison; female character working in Disappearance Cuisine and welcoming Toriko and Koamtsu and more.

His art is definitely improving and it's better than it was before. You are just showing some rare "bad" examples to prove your point. If that's the case I can show you this: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...for_Go_Ren.jpg and say the proportions aren't right too. And that's in the early chapters, where you stated his art is better. And even if you ignore the giant arm for some reason, his other arm is also way too big and his head way too small for the body. So as you can see, he is drawing those proportions ever since he started the manga :>

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Even this Toriko looks much COOLER than the way he currently draws him (i like Toriko's face better in the earlier chapters). Besides his arm is big because he was gathering power in order to unleash the 5 Ren (a concept that Shima forgot about or discarded after this). Imagine how big Toriko's hands would have to be if he were to do twin 40 ren...

And it's good that he fixed this problematic scene :P
    Last edited by Freezer; August 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Buggy's Avatar
    Country
    Andorra
    Post Thanks / Like

This art is my favorite art of all manga, really like it's wild and unpredictable style and the faces are some of the best ever seen (ex. Livebearer, Chiyo).

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, you can ignore the giant arm for a reason (gathering power), but what about his other arm and body? It's also quite big, while his head is quite small compared to the whole body and the proportions look exactly like those in the 2nd pic you compared in the beginning. Thus he was drawing those "bad" proportions ever since the beginning and this means the art couldn't have gone that worse as you stated how wrong the 2nd pic looked. Which also looks strange, since you state that you like those bad proportions before, but suddenly they look wrong. And I can't agree that this Toriko is much cooler than recent drawings of him. But you are free to like whatever you want.

Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

The art's always been good. Lets just stick with that.

However I did not like the fight between Toriko and Star because of those dam *images*

Like one good move and the others life would have ended and BAM. ITS A GOD DAM IMAGE. WTF

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply