Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma , One Piece 764 by cnet128
New Reply

Thread: Shoujo/Josei Mangaka

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Shoujo/Josei Mangaka

Let's talk about the mangaka of these romantic and heart-warming shoujo and josei titles. Tell us some names you really like, adore, or respect. It can be because he/she has great graphic, or brilliant plot, or anything else. Maybe you found this mangaka, liked one of his/her work, and decided to check out all his/her works no matter what! That happens to me with CLAMP and Tanemura Arina before, lol.

And while we are at it... Is there really any "he" among shoujo/josei mangaka? XD I just thought that since this is kind of "girls area", girls are dominant. So it'll be cool to see more male shoujo/josei mangaka, especially if he's successful.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shoujo/Josei Mangaka

Hmm, usually if I see anything by Fuyumi Souryo I know it's worth reading. Even if it doesn't get a perfect 10 score, I know it was at least given thought- you know, not the generic type.

There's Yazawa Ai too: Nana and Paradise Kiss, very famous works.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

My fav shoujo mangaka will be Akizuki Sorata and Suzuki Julietta, I think. I really like their story and artwork. I also like CLAMP, for their amazing details, but I'm still recovering from their story of TRC so I won't read any of their manga for a while. I also like Hino Matsuri for the same reason I like CLAMP, but after Vampire Knight, I'm not sure whether I'm going to read any of her work either. Minami Maki, Hatori Bisco, and Yuki Kure are some mangaka I like.

Now that you mention, I also think I never encounter any male shoujo mangaka...

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked Minami Maki but I don't think she has any more works other than Special A?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member windy van's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Waahh, I have so much favorite mangakas. They are CLAMP, Yoshino Aki, Watase Yuu, George Asakura, Yazawa Ai, Ikuemi Ryou, Ashihara Hinako, Tamura Yumi, Suetsugu Yuki, Ninomiya Tomoko, Minamori Koyomi, Koyama Yukari, Souryo Fuyumi, and Fuka Mizutani. La la la.. And those are not all..

I like them because their story give some mature feeling, not to mention all their works are relatively realistic, heartwarming and meaningful. Their art is good as well, love them very much, and most of their works have strong female lead! This is a big big plus, as I feel so frustated reading manga with weak female lead. Oh, I like Soon Ki too, she have only 1 work by now though, and I started to like Ishihara Keiko and stalking all her works now. Her art is gorgeous.

As for male shoujo mangaka, isn't DNAngel mangaka is a guy? I've read about it somewhere before.

'What one can do, what one cannot do, what one must do.. All These one must decide by oneself.'
    Bokura no Kiseki

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    I liked Minami Maki but I don't think she has any more works other than Special A?
    There is another work of her that's quite known, Seiyuu-Ka.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Let's talk about the mangaka of these romantic and heart-warming shoujo and josei titles. Tell us some names you really like, adore, or respect. It can be because he/she has great graphic, or brilliant plot, or anything else. Maybe you found this mangaka, liked one of his/her work, and decided to check out all his/her works no matter what! That happens to me with CLAMP and Tanemura Arina before, lol.

And while we are at it... Is there really any "he" among shoujo/josei mangaka? XD I just thought that since this is kind of "girls area", girls are dominant. So it'll be cool to see more male shoujo/josei mangaka, especially if he's successful.
    CLAMP I like it too..

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

hi stephen12. welcome to MH! you might want to elaborate why you like CLAMP?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm.. why I like CLAMP? Firstly, the drawing itself.. How the artists draw it.. they are really good. Then, the story. I like the stories they made and it seems very interesting to me
    Last edited by benelori; April 26, 2014 at 04:35 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner hikochan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

SHOUJO ARTISTS:
    Arina Tanemura - her art is pretty. Have you even seen the details in her drawings? Not A-grade but dang sun so nice. Her stories are meh to me.

Matsuri Hino - again, art is totes amazing. Much better than Tanemura's. Some of her works are good, like MeruPuri and other oneshots. Stay away from Vampire Knight, that series' ending was too fan-biased from what I've heard. Pissed me off even though it's been more more than 5 years ever since I last read it.

Youko Maki - my goddess! Her art is just the beeeeeeeeeeeeeest. Even more than Tanemura's or Matsuri's. It's like rainbows farting, in art style. So nice. Her stories are totally interesting as well though some endings are a bit of downers. I've read most of her works. Aishiteruze Baby is her most known work. Recommend that one. Shouri no Akuma, Yamamoto Zenjirou to Moushimasu, Atashi wa Bambi, Taranta Ranta, etc. She's currently working on two series with her sister, Mochida Aki. One is Zenzen (story by Youko Maki, art by Mochida Aki) and Pika Ichi (vice versa). She has an ongoing series called Romantica Clock, and tbh, her style in this one isn't my cup of tea anymore (her previous art style was more beautiful) so I don't really have an opinion on that one.

Aya Nakahara - You need to stop whatever you're doing and go read Lovely Complex. One of the best shoujo series I've ever watched and read, but mostly read. It's one of those manga that can affect your whole outlook on life, it did for me. But anyways, her art isn't really attractive at first but it's one of those that you get used to once you read more of their work and begins to grow on you. Now, I freaking love her art. Her stories are amazing as well. AH-MAY-ZING. She's put her own twist to shoujo cliches. PLUS. Her jokes in her manga are humorous, it's always the humor that gets me. But anyways, aside from LoveCom, you should try reading Nanaco Robin, Junjou Drop, Benkyou Shinasai!, and basically anything with that name. So nice, humooooooor <3

And I think we all agree that CLAMP is amazing, the goddesses of the shoujo world omg.

JOSEI ARTISTS:
    Enjouji Maki - My queen in the josei department. Her guys are hot hot like tater tots dang sun level. Well, for me that is. But anyways, her stories are amazing as well. As expected of josei protagonists, her protagonists tend to not take anybody's carp when given. Well, there are some times when they do but hey, at least they're not like doormat protagonists like some shoujo protagonists ugh. Most of her work has some smut in it but so nicely done A+++ for you Enjouji Maki. Recommended works are mostly everything. Private Prince, Hapi Mari, Atashi wa sore wo gaman dekinai, and her ongoing one, Dear Brother, which I've put on hold cause I don't like cliffhangers. They're the bane of my existence.

I had more josei artists but I'm blanking out right now... I'll probably edit this post once I've remembered them.
    Last edited by hikochan; April 01, 2014 at 08:02 PM.
    If you love Hyouka (or the Kotenbu light novel series), you should totally try stopping by HSK.
    If you just wanna stalk my translations blog, feel free to drop by here.
    If you wanna stalk me at Tumblr, well, tough luck kid.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply