Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: shanks losing his arm when saving luffy...

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

shanks losing his arm when saving luffy...

is it more symbolic than anything? or was shanks overwelming strength not planned at that point by oda?

this is what i mean

we all saw how rayliegh dominated any seaking or whatever that swam after him as he swam to amazon lily

one could only assume that shanks' haki mastery is somewhere in the ballpark of rayleighs or maybe even greater due to the dark kngs advanced age

and we all heard edward newgate say "when a man of your caliber retrns from east blue without an arm it makes us wonder" or something like that

so why did shanks lose his arm while saving luffy? was there no other way for him to pull off that rescue with his advances haki mastery and stregnth?

or was haki not even part of the plan back then?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sachsenhesse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: shanks losing his arm when saving luffy...

Quote Quote:
    or was haki not even part of the plan back then?
    i think atleast the conqueror haki was planned... the other shit like hardening... no.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

im just trying to figure out how shanks could lose his arm in that situation being the total badass that he is....

whitebeard said it best.....

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In hindsight, yeah it's kinda strange. But looking at the page now, Luffy was practically in the Sea Kings mouth when Shanks snatched him up so maybe Shanks didn't think about armament, he was just thinking about Luffy's safety. Or maybe it is just the fact that haki wasn't as thought out as it is now. Wasn't One Piece supposed to be a lot shorter than it is?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eefrit View Post
    In hindsight, yeah it's kinda strange. But looking at the page now, Luffy was practically in the Sea Kings mouth when Shanks snatched him up so maybe Shanks didn't think about armament, he was just thinking about Luffy's safety. Or maybe it is just the fact that haki wasn't as thought out as it is now. Wasn't One Piece supposed to be a lot shorter than it is?
    It supposed to last 5 years. I was thinking about DF but that didn't make sense because of Buggy's flashback. Beside Shanks is too cool to have a DF.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KungPaoChicken's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Shanks didn't have enough time to save luffy with the hardening. It might have been reacting to instinct.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weixiaobao View Post
    It supposed to last 5 years. I was thinking about DF but that didn't make sense because of Buggy's flashback. Beside Shanks is too cool to have a DF.
    And Shanks is too good a swimmer to have a DF
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

It's symbolic, as we learn later on. I think it's to show that Shanks had faith in Luffy and thought of him as highly important, as well as possible successor to Roger. Shanks always mentions "a kid who reminds me of what Roger used to say" whenever someone asks what happened to his arm or where the strawhat went.

Plus, chances are that Shanks didn't learn haki at the time, no? He wasn't part of the Four Emperors, if I recall/assume and was still green.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner darth volcaniz's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

shanks DID use the conqueror's haki on the sea king. but that was only after it had taken his arm. this is probably due to luffy practically being in the sea king's mouth at that point.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kyodai Senkan Mora's Avatar
    Country
    Kenya
    Post Thanks / Like

....I think the sole reason he lost his arm was to advance the plot, in terms of Shank's faith in the new age and those who would be a part of it...I feel he prioritized saving Luffy over his own safety and as Oda himself mentioned losing an arm did not diminish his strength in any way....Shanks still had his scar from blackbeard at his time so I do not think he was green at all drawing from his conversation with whitebeard...while he may or may not have been a Yonkou he was definitely a great pirate still
    "Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword I can not embrace you." -Tite Kubo

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darth volcaniz View Post
    shanks DID use the conqueror's haki on the sea king. but that was only after it had taken his arm. this is probably due to luffy practically being in the sea king's mouth at that point.
    As strong as he supposedly is, him being a rival to Mihawk at that time already or rather ending their competition with that event, he should have been able to just smash the Sea King away, just as Luffy did at the very beginning of the series.

I'm quiet sure Oda didn't think about bodies turning black when he conceptualized the plot, especially since he was planing for a "short" series to begin with.
    Last edited by Schabrak; August 22, 2013 at 09:28 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darth volcaniz View Post
    Oh, forgot about that. He could have probably used haki (if that was planned), but I still think it was more of a symbolic thing to represent his faith in Luffy.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner darth volcaniz's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah, hard to predict how your story will goes more than 3 times longer than you had originally planned

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    It's symbolic, as we learn later on. I think it's to show that Shanks had faith in Luffy and thought of him as highly important, as well as possible successor to Roger. Shanks always mentions "a kid who reminds me of what Roger used to say" whenever someone asks what happened to his arm or where the strawhat went.

Plus, chances are that Shanks didn't learn haki at the time, no? He wasn't part of the Four Emperors, if I recall/assume and was still green.
    Actually, no, chances are Shanks was just as big of a badass back then. First of all, you dont become a yonko in a day, and then there's all the people we know he fought before meeting Luffy -- he was on par with Mihawk, and his scars are from Blackbeard.

You have to realize that Shanks is forty years old, going ten years back for him isn't a big difference at all.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post

but remember whitebeard said "when a man of your caliber travels to east blue and comes back missing an arm...."

so if whitebeard was acknowledging shanks' strength, that means he was probably already a proficient haki user

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast