Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: shanks losing his arm when saving luffy...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MBVC's Avatar
    Country
    Bouvet Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: shanks losing his arm when saving luffy...

Maybe CoO wasn't in Oda's mind back then, he only planned CoC for powerful people in the same level as the Yonkou and CoA for fighting logica. Still Shanks could had chopped off that small weak monster head without hurting Luffy at all.

I realized that I am merely a conscience programmed into a game.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Haki is not supposed to make people invencible. Shanks may not have been able to use it on time, or it may not be enough to protect him from a giant beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blade5468 View Post
    Actually, no, chances are Shanks was just as big of a badass back then. First of all, you dont become a yonko in a day, and then there's all the people we know he fought before meeting Luffy -- he was on par with Mihawk, and his scars are from Blackbeard.

You have to realize that Shanks is forty years old, going ten years back for him isn't a big difference at all.
    I never said him not being Yonkou indicated he didn't have strength, just that he may not have been strong enough yet. I was corrected when members pointed out Whitebeard and Mihawk's conversation with Shanks and Shanks using haki on the sea monster.

Given that Shanks did give Luffy his hat that Roger passed onto him, and how he described Luffy to Mihawk and Whitebeard... it's not a stretch to say that it could have been symbolic for Shanks to let his arm be bitten off to save Luffy.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Conquerors haki is shown in the first of the manga, he does it right after he saves luffy and loses his arm and is like "Get lost" which luffy remembers and thinks is awesome when he sees it later.

i think the hakis were planned, as soon as u get to grand line u fight logias and it makes u think "these are so strong, you literally cant hurt them unless u know there weakness" Like crocs was easy, and enerus was convenient/lucky. and when luffys grandpas punch hurts, and skypiea had observation haki.

I think its more symbolic, i thought about it as well that he shoulda been able to just conq haki that thing before it got to luffy, but maybe shanks was learning his power at that time because he was young, coulda been like when luffy stopped the Flying fish riders leaders bull (cant remember name D something) which would explain why he did it after instead of before./2

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Themistocles's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I always think that Shanks didn't care if he lost an arm or not. He wasn't trying to protect himself, but Luffy.

Personally I want it to be that Shanks was doing it to teach Luffy a lesson, but that it probably too farfetched.

rather than just suggesting an oversight on Oda's part, I like to think there is an in-story signficance for Shanks losing his arm. Like, it was planned and stuff.
    Kartoffeln sind gut

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member KuroKarasu's Avatar
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that it is symbolic AND that at that point it wasn't a fight for Shanks. If it had been a fight then he would've known that he can beat the monster with his sword or CoC but he didn't care about that. He just wanted to get between the monster and Luffy and THEN think about actually beating it.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

its just a single logic hole.. it's the matter because haki was odas way out of logia types... he didn't thought about that in the early chapters..

Think about the "ace vs smoker" fight... both should have had Haki then.. but they told themselves and others the battle would be pointless...
    Only kings haki was pland..

you fund such wholes the entire story around haki and older fights.. sad but true
    --
    The Mangas i like:

One Piece; Naruto;
    Hajami no Ippo; Hunter x Hunter;
    Beelzebub; Toriko; Fairy Tail
    Bleach; Hitman Reborn; Gantz

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you point us to a couple of those plot holes please?

Ace and Smoker didn't have haki because they didn't train them before. Smoker was stationed in the "weak" East Blue, Ace was so overwhelmingly good with his fruit and own strength that he did come so far without the need of haki. How do you think his fight with Teach would have ended, had he imbued any of his fire attacks with haki? He would likely have won. Jozu's DF allowed him to ignore CoA, or at least hardening, Marco could regenerate himself with his DF, so he didn't need to bank on CoA either, which is why he was such a lousy opponent for Akainu. Or Sakazuki was just that much more proficient that his powers overwhelmed theirs.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2