Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Be my nakamas... especially if you have a mechanical arm, and or a cool scar

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

WSJ Pirate Be my nakamas... especially if you have a mechanical arm, and or a cool scar

Anyhow, this is I. My super power has always been orgasmic touch, come in very handy here and there.

I was born in the land of Dragon. When I was born I was perfect, 6'2" of perfection. Everywhere I went, my radiant blinded people. So they didn't like me at first but after I save them from a giant waterbear with my Gundam. I was hail as the great leader of North Korea. It was good time but the Americans pissing me off with tiny e-penis in which they keep waving around (I think they nicknamed it Fat Man and Little Boy).

But ya last year, I finally found the One Piece turn out it was the strawhat all along. >___<

Anyhow, nice to meet ya all. Feel free to post here but you should ended your every post with "Hail, Great Leader."

And or recommended me some good adventure/fantasy/futuristic/apostolic anime. Preferably the new ones since I haven't watch anime in a while but beside Attack of Titans.
    Last edited by weixiaobao; August 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Be my nakamas... especially if you have a mechanical arm, and or a cool scar

I can't call you Great Leader, because I'm Greater

What do you mean by futuristic anime?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Be my nakamas... especially if you have a mechanical arm, and or a cool scar

hello mister,
    I meant like ghost in the shell

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weixiaobao View Post
    hello mister,
    I meant like ghost in the shell
    Have you tried Psycho Pass then?

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

There's a new Ghost in the Shell anime, btw, if you haven't seen it, then you should...and if you like fantasy, then the Berserk movies are for you

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmm, I should.

I saw the new ghost in the shell. At first i like hmmm, I don't like this. But then O___O this is really good. I really enjoy it.

Sigh, Berserk I kinda have a mix feeling on. I wish they update the old anime rather than this obvious computer generate art. >___<

There is a classic feel to the old series. It was so eerie and very compatible with the atmosphere of the anime overall.

---------- Post added August 31, 2013 at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was August 29, 2013 at 05:26 PM ----------

benelori- Yup, finally start to watch Psycho Pass, just one episode in and yes this is what I am talking about. The cinematography of that first episode is pretty solid. The city reminded me of that one city in Naruto and I really dig it. Do you know if any other anime has that sort of same setting?

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Someone gave Psycho pass a 4.5/10 base on watching just the first 3 episodes. The biggest sin is that this retard wrote a 4 pages essay deeply analyze the series as a whole >____< I leave some snarky comments on his review under the username movingstone.

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Kamishi/reviews/11481

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

People like the last guy you mention have some issues.
    Do you watch any mecha anime?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy, I love mecha. I think my favorite mecha storyline still is Gundam Seed. I wrote a paper on Gundam Seed for college English once. She really like it and decide to keep it as a sample. It was about a journey of a hero.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

A descendant of dragon, eh? Just like your username, interesting choice. I, too, have the blood of dragon in me.

I second Psycho Pass. There're differing opinions on its presentation on the whole, but I recognise several layers of messages the writer (Urobuchi Gen) tries to send across, a lot of which reflects the systems within the Land of the Rising Sun.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Weixiaobao is one of my favorite wuxia character. One of the best from Jin Yong.

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/ro...n/reviews/9687

This particular long winded review seemed to miss the point of psycho pass. But at least this guy, unlike another guy, actually saw the series.

I draw many parallels with the current politics and social phenomenons with the human behaviors that portrayed in the show.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah I see, a fan of wuxia novels and Jin Yong

And yes, yes, you are absolutely on the spot. It's been a while since I saw the show so I can't recall everything, but the first impression lingers on. To a Western viewer, this probably doesn't stand out as much, but to an Oriental viewer (Japanese especially) the social segregation concerning the definition of 'average' defined by trends, mindsets, and majority, is definitely unmissable. I have to say, I'm not a fanatic of the show, but I don't think I have seen an anime where I constantly identify literally every single scene as either a satirical message or a metaphor to interactions between people (especially in Japan) in reality.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So yeah, one of the guy's dumb ass insight in the show

Quote Quote:
    Concept: The heroine decided to be a police officer even when she could have become anything else she liked. Her mental stability, combined with her will to help her society and learn more about how it works fundamentally made her the ideal candidate.

Analysis: Well, that is sort of weak, since she literally acts like a scared girl scout amongst ruthless murderers and rapists. We never get any more reasoning than “Well I want to help my society so I might as well expose myself to violence and death.” In our society, nobody would agree to that if he wasn’t in for the money or the action. The nihilistic way of life in the series just leaves this to be sort of like deciding to become a criminal hunter instead of a florist just because your brain can take the heat. Where is the motivation in that? Nowhere.
    In which I replied
    Quote Quote:
    Crap statements like this that make me wonder if you actually watch the show or while you watching the show, you are narrating the scenes with your own bias reality instead of paying attention on what they are saying.

The girl in a way had a minor identity issues. This is realistic for people that is score very well on everything, some had a hard time on what they want to do. Like Malcolm from Malcolm in the Middle. Why did she pick that particular job? In her own words, she said something along the line that for every fields she score the top on, someone also did except that one particular field. She felt that there is a purpose for her to take that job. And many time, she recognized she rather useless. That is why her breaking down on episode 2 and cry when another character point out that she did something useful in episode 1.

Subconsciously the girl seemed to always try to define herself and finding a purpose within this world. A friend of her point out the irony in that. The world she that she lived in automicallly placed people in jobs that they good at (or in a way decided their destiny). But she, unlike others, had the luxuary to choose. And not only she choose, she choose a job that seemed no one is perfectly compatitle for. Is that subconsciously trying to be unique? Isn't that subconsciously trying to define oneself in a society that define you already.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude - how many wuxia dramas have you seen, if any?

I thought I was the only one here that like that kind of genre.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    I'm not a fanatic of the show, but I don't think I have seen an anime where I constantly identify literally every single scene as either a satirical message or a metaphor to interactions between people (especially in Japan) in reality.
    Which is your fav Jin Jong's novel ?? ( >___< for some reason, I didn't even see your post until Charlie posted).

Psycho Pass is not a master piece, now that I have seen the big reveal. But it isn't bad either. the series received hate from these pseudo intellectuals precisely because of what you brought up. They think Psycho Pass is pseudo intellect, quoting other sources but there is no depth beneath the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Dude - how many wuxia dramas have you seen, if any?

I thought I was the only one here that like that kind of genre.

Sigh, a lot of people think the Breaker and the Breaker: New Wave are original. I like those series very much, and in a way, they are original. But not as original as the people who never watch wuxia think it is.

I am a big fan of Jin Yong. I have seen many adaptions of his work. The later stuffs make me so mad though like the 2013 tv adaption of The Smiling, Proud Wanderer. I just want to choke somebody.

My top 5 of his stories are the first 2 of the condor trilogy, Duke of Mount Deer, The smiling proud wanderer, and Demi Gods Semi Devils. I really want to incorporate a lot of wuxia elements in my writing. Which I kinda stall on that for years now. The 18 subsiding Dragon Palms is the coolest martial art ever.

Inbox me your personal threads, guy. I will visit it when I have time. I am going to class soon.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

What about you, Charlie? What do you like?

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

These series really reflect on the core values of East Asian. And how Jin Yong challenged every single one of them lol.
    Last edited by weixiaobao; September 03, 2013 at 10:12 AM.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen pretty much most of the ones you mention. The condor heroes 2006 version (Return of the condor heroes) happens to be favorite.
    I don't recall the smiling one one. 18 dragon palms seem familiar but I don't recall. Over the years I've seen all the ones available or just about
    online.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well you don't recognize it because it goes by many names like State of Divinity, Swordman, and Laughing at the wind.

2001 version

And the horrid 2013 version

For some reason, they just refuse to hire middle age and older actors to play old guys. So young guys put on a mustache = old lol.

Ah, the return of the condor hero is such a frustrating series to watch despite it is among my favorites. So many characters that you just want to jump in the screen and give a good slapping.

18 dragon subsiding palms is the core martial art of the Cai Bang (the biggest sect)/ the Beggar Sect. It is the most "Yang" (as oppose to Yin) of all external martial art. Hence both practitioners had been very masculine/hero type. The main three is Hong Qigong (the Northern Beggar) a support character for the first two condor triology, Guo Jing (the main character for Legend of the Condor archer and a supporter for Return of the Condor hero), and Qiao Feng in Demi God Semi Devil (who is one of the leader of the sect way before Hong Qigong became leader).

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

My favorite versions

Legend of the Condor Archer (2003) though the older version has its charm but the newest one I can't get into
    Return of the Condor Hero (2006)
    Duke of Mount Deer (1998) though the one with Huang Xiao Ming look nice but it never captivate me enough to watch it in its entirety
    Demi God Semi Devil (1997 and 2003) the one that they are making right now look a bit off, and the special effect seemed to be horribly cgi
    Smiling Proud Wanderer (2001) has beautiful choreography.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast