Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: ToG: Season I VS Season II

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • I liked Season I more.

3 23.08%
  • I liked Season II more.

2 15.38%
  • I liked them equally.

8 61.54%
New Reply

Thread: Tower of God: Season I VS Season II

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tower of God: Season I VS Season II

I noticed this conversation seems to have been going on fairly often, and probably will only get more so as the Factory Battle, and probably Season II, comes to a close. So it seems like time to make a thread for it.

What do you think of the two seasons in comparison with one another so far? How do you think they're different? Do you think one is better than the other? If so, why would you say you feel that way?
    Last edited by Jammin; August 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tower of God: Season I VS Season II

I like them equally, the present chapters are a bit slow and perennial but if i take the first parts and the built up in the season 2 i think i have to say both are pretty Good over all
    but if i am very very very specific season 1 packed the bigger punch in being awesome... but in a general sense i dont think season 2 in its totality is much inferior to S1

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity LoS's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Weaker characters in season 2, also too much jumping around for less screen time on certain characters and too much for others.
    The OG that ran Bleach for near a decade is no more.
    Cheers to a boss villain, I tip my hat to you Aizen

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

It's an interesting comparison. But I'm also interested on the question about how the whole story is constructed with both seasons, I mean, how the complement each other as parts of a single story. I think still it's necessary to wait for the end of second season to make a fair evaluation of that and also of the vs. comparison.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity LoS's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

You would definitely have to wait till this season is over to see if SIU effectively tied together the two, because as of now they are aligned but disjointed.
    The OG that ran Bleach for near a decade is no more.
    Cheers to a boss villain, I tip my hat to you Aizen

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    It's an interesting comparison. But I'm also interested on the question about how the whole story is constructed with both seasons, I mean, how the complement each other as parts of a single story. I think still it's necessary to wait for the end of second season to make a fair evaluation of that and also of the vs. comparison.
    While it's true we won't be able to fully evaluate Season Two until it's complete, it's not like if we talk about what we think now we won't be able to change our minds later so I don't see any problems considering the topic.

Season One was 79 chapters. Season Two is up to 78. So I think they've very much reached the point were they can be compared to one another even if the comparison really isn't complete. The early parts are pretty much done, for better or worse, so the only thing left to know about those are the consequences. So I think the only thing we should at least consider the possibility of having our opinions changed in a big way is the Factory Battle arc.

---------------------------------------

I'm currently of the opinion that Season One was the better one. Even if Season Two ends as brilliantly as Season One did I'm not sure it's possible to take over the lead now considering just how much I think Season Two is lagging behind as a whole.

Season One was an amazing mix of narratively simple (just trying to climb a tower) and emotionally complex (character storylines were awesome). It hit with so many characters. Rak, Androssi, Anak, Koon, Leesoo, etc and they were all amazing.

Swapping out the old cast for a new group and the way Baam was introduced as a distant figure kinda ruined the beginning for me. It took a solid two arcs before I was able to care about anybody and to build up any real interest in them. And even after that only a couple managed to capture my attention as well as the Season One cast had (Yeon and Arkraptor) with quite a few duds mixed in and given more screen time than they seemed to deserve (Prince and Horyang).

That being said I really liked the Flower of Zygaena arc. I thought the introduction of Urek Mazino couldn't have gone better and the parts with Baam around that time were really good too. I think those parts did a good job to help cement the characters a little better and establish the new team and their relationships to one another.

Arlen's hand I thought ended up as a big hot mess. I pretty much hated it for a number of reasons. I didn't think Baam's actions seemed at all natural. I thought the whole plan with luring him and Koon there with Horyang and all was insanely contrived; and a little stupid given how many variables there could have gone wrong. Then there was the sense that thematically it was just doing the same thing over again, which I didn't like to much.

I liked that the Factory Battle brought some familiar faces back from Season One but the actual story has been only slightly less messy than Arlens hand so far. SIU tried to tell a story from a whole lot of different perspectives all at once and it hasn't worked for me. I still don't feel connected to Horyang at all. Baam's character is starting to come across almost like a stranger. FUG has pulled out the mysterious evil scheme card so many times that it's gotten monotonous. Most unfortunate though has been how little time has been spared for showing the character connectivity that made Season One so emotionally complex; especially toward the end. I figure this last arc should tighten up a bit before the end though.
    Last edited by Jammin; August 30, 2013 at 12:51 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member mup's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    While it's true we won't be able to fully evaluate Season Two until it's complete, it's not like if we talk about what we think now we won't be able to change our minds later so I don't see any problems considering the topic.

Season One was 79 chapters. Season Two is up to 78. So I think they've very much reached the point were they can be compared to one another even if the comparison really isn't complete. The early parts are pretty much done, for better or worse, so the only thing left to know about those are the consequences. So I think the only thing we should at least consider the possibility of having our opinions changed in a big way is the Factory Battle arc.

---------------------------------------

I'm currently of the opinion that Season One was the better one. Even if Season Two ends as brilliantly as Season One did I'm not sure it's possible to take over the lead now considering just how much I think Season Two is lagging behind as a whole.

Season One was an amazing mix of narratively simple (just trying to climb a tower) and emotionally complex (character storylines were awesome). It hit with so many characters. Rak, Androssi, Anak, Koon, Leesoo, etc and they were all amazing.

Swapping out the old cast for a new group and the way Baam was introduced as a distant figure kinda ruined the beginning for me. It took a solid two arcs before I was able to care about anybody and to build up any real interest in them. And even after that only a couple managed to capture my attention as well as the Season One cast had (Yeon and Arkraptor) with quite a few duds mixed in and given more screen time than they seemed to deserve (Prince and Horyang).

That being said I really liked the Flower of Zygaena arc. I thought the introduction of Urek Mazino couldn't have gone better and the parts with Baam around that time were really good too. I think those parts did a good job to help cement the characters a little better and establish the new team and their relationships to one another.

Arlen's hand I thought ended up as a big hot mess. I pretty much hated it for a number of reasons. I didn't think Baam's actions seemed at all natural. I thought the whole plan with luring him and Koon there with Horyang and all was insanely contrived; and a little stupid given how many variables there could have gone wrong. Then there was the sense that thematically it was just doing the same thing over again, which I didn't like to much.

I liked that the Factory Battle brought some familiar faces back from Season One but the actual story has been only slightly less messy than Arlens hand so far. SIU tried to tell a story from a whole lot of different perspectives all at once and it hasn't worked for me. I still don't feel connected to Horyang at all. Baam's character is starting to come across almost like a stranger. FUG has pulled out the mysterious evil scheme card so many times that it's gotten monotonous. Most unfortunate though has been how little time has been spared for showing the character connectivity that made Season One so emotionally complex; especially toward the end. I figure this last arc should tighten up a bit before the end though.
    it would be fair to say the old formula witch is the foundation of shonen work

with SIU adding his flavor and the second was an experimentation on a formula that hot right now
    Games of thrones

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

Season One was more mysterious to me, but it lacked emotion and a true connection to scenes and dialogues... Season Two has a shonen mark on it and it's very easy to follow the way of the plot.
    So i'll separate it on arcs, Untrustworthy Room is my favorite arc of Tower of God, so the Season Two is better... also it's followed by Flower of Zyagena that is one of my favorites too.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

At the very least, the manwha wasn't ruined by a timeskip which is already a win.
    Characters introducted in season 2 are ,in average, not on par with characters from season 1. Wangnam, Ran, Yeon, Edan ... there are a few (very) good characters but also some characters that seems to be have close to no purpose (I don't remember the name of half characters in wangnam's group).

At fighting level, I give the upperhand to season 2. It was very spectacular with Viole vs Mule Ranker, Urek vs Viole, Ran vs Anak, ...
    At story level, I feel like it's not moving in season 2 as fast as in season 1. It can also be because I started ToG when there was already 30-40 chapters available.

All in all, season 2 isn't disappointing & I'm eagerly waiting for a season 3 .

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's quite simple.

Season 1 = Awesome Characters
    Season 2 = Great Characters

And now that the guys from Season 1 are finally back into the story...

Season 2 = Awesome Characters + Great Characters!!

So, technically that would make Season 2 better, but the guys from Season 1 were so much superior to the ones from Season 2, that I can't really give it to Season 2...

So, I'll just say that I like them equally!
    Last edited by THM Nindo; September 03, 2013 at 11:36 PM.

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bhoot's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Well , i think that Season 1 was a buld up arc and hence the characters were superior as they were built up and explained better , but season 2 has more action . The arcs start to shift focus from each character of the story. The regulars and the readers for that matter are getting more used to betrayals , power ups , competition , cunning and trust .
    They are all learning and getting more attuned to tower politics and hence react in a different way to how they would at lower levels.

The second season unlike the 1st is very much Viole/Baam based . Its overcomplicated by the author having to / trying to keep the readers on tab with the older and probably stronger old members of the MC's team .

I prefer the 2nd season personally , its really difficult to even try to do what he is doing , not to mention he is doing it quite well

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One significant difference I've seen with part two is that SIU foesnt seem to drop major hints and foreshadowing as often. Part one was very princess centerered and that created lots of discussion about the Zahard empire as a whole. Even topics like Phantaminum were spoken of almost casually.

One the other hand part two is building nicely. We got Urek, FUG and I believe we will see some Wing Tree developments soon since in theory part 3 or even 4 would take us there.

Over all some character drama has slowed down the grand scope of TOG but none the less part two has a lot of the same characteristics of part one. It just seems that the subject matter is slowing things downs a bit. But SIU is telling the story so it must have purpose.

New Reply