Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo

View Poll Results: what do you think of the verdict?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • i agree with the verdict

4 33.33%
  • i disagree with the verdict

5 41.67%
  • either i am split or i dont feel i know what really happened

0 0%
  • i dont care

3 25.00%
New Reply
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

george zimmerman was just found not guilty

what is your opinion about this case and its impact on racial tension in the united states?

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: what is your opiniom of the trayvon martin case and verdict?

It pains me to say it because I do believe Zimmerman killed that kid, but the jury most likely got it right. There didn't appear to be enough evidence to convict Zimmerman because Trayvon is dead and can't tell his side of the story. Like I've been hearing all night, sometimes the bad guy gets away with it.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is your opinion of the Trayvon Martin case and verdict?

well from what i understand trayvon was a wannabe thug

he had violent posts on his face book, looked like a thug in recent pictures and had violent texts on his phone

none of which werw allowed in the evidence for the case

whats sad to me is that the media made this case into a race war

by only showing old pictures of trayvon when he was much younger

and continually calling zimmerman white when he is half hispanic

now there is more unneccesary black is white tension in the states
    thanks to the media

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt .. in these kind of media spectacles it is hard for anyone to make a sane judgement that was on either side, Zimmerman's or Martin's, just let the justice system do it's job, no need to stir up things, anything that is left to be said should have been said during the trial. Now it is pointless to argue about it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

I disagree with the verdict. Bottom line is, Zimmerman shouldn't have pursued Trayvon period.

Racism aside (because I practice "Eracism" and I'll get into that at another time), if Zimmerman felt Trayvon was some kind of threat to the community in general there are procedures for him to follow first, which he chose not to. Even if, Trayvon was known as a former convict, Zimmerman wouldn't have confronted him then. Instead, Zimmerman should have made a call to the police to handle any matter with Trayvon, that he felt was dangerous.

It's similar to what happen to Oscar Grant in January of 2009 or even, last month in Brooklyn with Kimani Grey. Both young, black males "looked suspicious" for whatever reason and get shot to death by police (or citizens acting as authority of the law). There is obviously a pattern that's easy for people, who are ignorant of the laws and history of this country. The pattern or reaction is set up for rioting, which I think should not be the proper response to this verdict. In general, people with children especially, should come together in a positive way and force and learn the how these laws should be used in trials.

Racism will always exist (if you want it to), but this was simply about irresponsibility on one man's watch and it cost the life of another person. I feel for the Martin family, as well as the Grants and Grey families as well, who lost their children to violence like this and get no justice in return.

p.s., I really predicted that Zimmerman would be acquitted and the main reason for that is because a young, black male was killed by another adult male who wasn't black and that's been a common, historic pattern that gets plastered all over the news media as violation of civil rights. What about "human" rights period?. I thought, as African Americans we are "humans" too?. And because of these facts, the media is trying to (or begging for) a reaction of riots, similar to what happened in 1992 with the verdicts regarding Rodney King. Even some idiots are justifying Zimmerman's acquittal because O.J. was proven innocent for Nicole Brown Simpson's murder. That rationale is immature and just shows that if this country is truly going to progress, the "adults" in this country need to grow the HELL UP fast or the children (as it's already proven) are going to pay for it with their lives.

Sorry for the rant, but these incidents hit at home with me. PEACE.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Florida smh

If this case had been tried in Maryland (where I live) there is no doubt he would have been found guilty. Zimmerman would not have legally been permitted to carry a gun in the first place.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Florida smh

If this case had been tried in Maryland (where I live) there is no doubt he would have been found guilty. Zimmerman would not have legally been permitted to carry a gun in the first place.
    yes because in maryland zimmerman would have either been beaten to death or been a vegetable the rest of his lifw as trayvon slammed his head into the concrete

that is justice!!!!

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Zimmerman went to Trayvon with the full intention of starting something...why else go in the first place (especially with a loaded weapon)?

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I never understood how things work with different states in the US, for example OJ was tried in California right? But all 50 states have more or less the same justice system? O_O

For me, I did not want to really comment on the trial, but how could Zimmerman possible be convicted BEYOND a reasonable doubt? I mean how can prosecutors actually prove the case? It seemed impossible from all of the witnesses and the claims that Trayvon started it? Zimmerman did follow him, but Trayvon got threatened and attacked him first. It's very confusing.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    I never understood how things work with different states in the US, for example OJ was tried in California right? But all 50 states have more or less the same justice system? O_O
    Federal legislative power in the United States is strictly limited to the powers enumerated in Article I, Section 9 of the constitution. Those powers are further limited by the Bill of Rights. The tenth amendment reserves for the states all legislative rights not guaranteed to congress (in Article I, Section 9), and not prohibited by the Constitution. If state law contradicts national law, Article VI ensures the supremacy of national law. The states are thus allow to pass their own legislation, and enforce their own laws, as long as they do not contradict federal law. The states are not required to maintain uniform law, as long as they do not contradict, or circumvent, federal law.
    Last edited by Kaiten; July 14, 2013 at 06:49 PM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

zimmerman's case is the same as Oj's case. In fact, I think Oj's case is even worse yet he got away with murder.

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Zimmerman did murder the kid, but he apparently did it in self defense. Based on what I've read, Trayvon may not have been as innocent as people claim. Still though, Zimmerman didn't have to kill the kid.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I gather this is what happened:

Zimmerman sees Trayvon walking around. Finds him suspicious.

Zimmerman starts following Trayvon

Trayvon gets creeped out by the guy in the car following him which is perfectly reasonable.

What I am still not particularly clear about is just how the confrontation started. From what I gather there is no reason to think Trayvon was at the moment engaging in any violent or criminal activity. Still, the actual fight apparently started because Trayvon went towards zimmerman and attacked. Which is not perfectly reasonable. Maybe its just me but if you see a creepy guy in a car following you you call the cops or run away as fast as possible.... you do not however start beating the crap out of him. Because, you know, the guy might be insane or have a gun or just be a random guy or something.

As from here, I guess it comes down as to whether having someone punching you is justification enough to shot him. There was a gun permit so there is nothing wrong in him having the gun. If Jayvon did try to pound zimmerman's head against concrete then his life was legitimately in danger even if trayvon did not mean to go that far. Way less than that can kill a person....

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Zimmerman also had orders to not follow the kid, which he ignored, no?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Zimmerman also had orders to not follow the kid, which he ignored, no?
    Wouldn't that be a separate issue? From what I gather he was indeed told not to follow but I don't think that is entirely relevant. Everything does point towards the actual confrontation having being started by the kid.... Did trayvon have enough reasons to actually beat the everloving crap out of zimmerman? Trayvon did not approach zimmerman to talk things out, he thought he was being followed (which he was) and proceeded to beat the crap out of him and was unfortunate enough to die over it. Zimmerman was in the wrong for following the kid (and doing so alone) but the moment Trayvon started the fight he was the one in the wrong.

New Reply
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast