Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How come Ymir didn't age for 60 years while in her Titan form?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

How come Ymir didn't age for 60 years while in her Titan form?

I understand that while she was inside her Titan, her human body was somehow protected from time. I guess that it means that humans don't age while in their Titan form. But there are two questions I'm asking myself:

First, how is this possible? I just don't understand how their body is protected from time, technically I mean.

Also, do they only not age while unable to go back to their human form? Or does their body simply never age while as a Titan?

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by dustofoblivion; August 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How come Ymir didn't age for 60 years while in her Titan form?

Unfortunately I don't think we have enough information to be able to tell these things yet. I wish we did, but as far as I'm aware there's no way to know right now... ^_^;

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah,this is a a topic that really hasn't been addressed in the manga yet.i imagine when they get to eren's basement,these mysteries will be answered...

remember,it was stated that titans do not need to eat nor do they harm nature/wildlife...but feast on humans for no particular reason.

but,since seein bert/reiner's flashback of ymir eating their friend...makes me wonder if the titans eat humans to try to get back to human form.somewhat out of the normal monster cliché where eating flesh/drinking blood damns you for eternity....idk
    this has bothered me since the very beginning...why are humans the only beings they seek out?......

but,back on topic...it would make no sense if just being a shifter stops/slows time for your body because we have seen eren grow in 5yrs...or is he just a special case?
    maybe,bert/reiner are old guys too...this all should be answered shortly.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Eren should be taken as an example here. For one, we don't know how long he was a titan in the past, if at all, and second, we don't know what it was his father injected him with. The injection could have interfered with Eren's shifter powers. Or there may have been an injection to inhibit the powers and an injection to reinstate them. Who knows.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member SarcasticIndeed's Avatar
    Country
    Montenegro
    Post Thanks / Like

What I wonder is how Ymir wasn't eaten. She was still a shifter titan, mindless or not. And titans seem to go crazy for shifter titans; moreso than normal humans.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I get the impression that while she was mindless she didn't come off to the others (whether it's by smell or some other sense they have) as different from them. It seems to imply you go mindless first, then if you're lucky enough to get your senses back, you're titan bait.

Country
    Montenegro
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    I get the impression that while she was mindless she didn't come off to the others (whether it's by smell or some other sense they have) as different from them. It seems to imply you go mindless first, then if you're lucky enough to get your senses back, you're titan bait.
    But how was Eren different? Unless the means of transformation were different, Eren shouldn't have made the normak titans crave for him as well. He was mindless at first as well.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well like any wounded fish/prey...it's an easy target.
    look at annie letting out that death scream and all those titans come to eat her...but on the other hand it is as if the ape titan can control them.i think there is a pyramid of power within the titan classes....lions/bears/sharks/etc become prey at times
    also,i don't think it is a necessity to be of colossal size to be a powerful titan...eren and annie are not as tall as say 60 meter class maybe 15/18...just barely over a 2/3 story building

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

If their body functions become dependent on sunlight as an energy source, without wearing down the mechanics within your real body, then... Well, it's a half-fictional suggestion for a fictional universe.

There're also comments about Annie's crystallisation would halt her own time, too, time-travelling into the future in a sense...

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticIndeed View Post
    But how was Eren different? Unless the means of transformation were different, Eren shouldn't have made the normak titans crave for him as well. He was mindless at first as well.
    What I'm saying is that we don't know enough about Eren in order to determine whatever happened/will happen with him is the same as it was/is for them. Ymir too, since she seems to be older than the others and "stole" the power somehow. We have no frame of reference for what is normal for titan shifters. We don't know if Eren or any of the others "died," at some point in time, or whether Ymir even meant that literally (though personally I think she probably did). Eren could easily have been a special case either in the way he became a titan (if that's what the injection did), or in some method of inhibiting (if there were two injections/administrations of a drug) that ability, or what have you. In principle this is the same concept as Erwin saying they shouldn't limit themselves to generalizing from what Eren is capable of doing in order to determine what the female titan might be able to do. We just don't have enough information to be able to narrow things down that much. I'm all for seeing different interpretations of what people think might be the case though. Speculate all you like.

Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    well like any wounded fish/prey...it's an easy target.
    look at annie letting out that death scream and all those titans come to eat her...but on the other hand it is as if the ape titan can control them.i think there is a pyramid of power within the titan classes....lions/bears/sharks/etc become prey at times
    also,i don't think it is a necessity to be of colossal size to be a powerful titan...eren and annie are not as tall as say 60 meter class maybe 15/18...just barely over a 2/3 story building
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure what in my post you're replying to. Why would Ymir fit this Annie-like wounded animal analogy?

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    If their body functions become dependent on sunlight as an energy source, without wearing down the mechanics within your real body, then... Well, it's a half-fictional suggestion for a fictional universe.

There're also comments about Annie's crystallisation would halt her own time, too, time-travelling into the future in a sense...
    That sounds like the direction the pseudo-scientific answer we're probably going to get (if we even get one, lol...) will take.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was saying that ymir being healthy/uninjured/not fighting other titans...would keep her from being caught in a feeding frenzy.
    like divers that dive with sharks...the risk is there but even greater when there is blood in the water.ymir being mindless would help this ploy,in hind sight she'd be just another titan....
    Last edited by gnut; August 30, 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohhh... I see now. Yeah, that's along the lines of what I'm guessing-- being mindless would have been camouflage as long as she didn't do what Eren did and start attacking fellow titans. I hadn't thought of the concept of a hierarchy but it could fit as well that shifters in their right mind and at full strength might have the ability to control or at least influence regular titans. So rather than just having them chase her, Annie would have been a little like the beast titan-- ordering ordinary titans around until she let out that last scream of desperation. Then they would instinctively understand she had "fallen" and she would be the most delicious "prey" they could have, from that point forward. I like that theory.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohhh... I see now. Yeah, that's along the lines of what I'm guessing-- being mindless would have been camouflage as long as she didn't do what Eren did and start attacking fellow titans. I hadn't thought of the concept of a hierarchy but it could fit as well that shifters in their right mind and at full strength might have the ability to control or at least influence regular titans. So rather than just having them chase her, Annie would have been a little like the beast titan-- ordering ordinary titans around until she let out that last scream of desperation. Then they would instinctively understand she had "fallen" and she would be the most delicious "prey" they could have, from that point forward. I like that theory.
    sasha made a comment about the scream of a wounded animal...and mikasa kind of got hestitant about the situation...
    it just maybe relevant to why they attack and don't attack....

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Montenegro
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think titans follow a hierarchy, hardly improbable. Also, did we actually see the Ape Titan /control/ other titans? We know that one guy didn't listen to him so he just squished his head. Likewise, the titans just did not try to get Mike because Ape Titan was already "in possession" of him. We don't see titans fighting over humans (except with the freshly transformed humans, if I remember correctly.), so Ape titan did not control others. He just handed them Mike over after he was finished with him.

Likewise, I don't think Colossal/Armored/Female have any sort of immunity from titans. They are prey as much as Eren in his Titan form is.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Themistocles's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

A thing about Ymir is that when she stole the syrum, she must have been old enough to understand its consequences. And furthermore understand who "the villagers" were. I don't think she was in Maria at the time, but she would have been alive during the events of "Before the Fall" prequel preview that came out recently (70 years before the main story)
    Kartoffeln sind gut

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast