Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 107 and 108 Discussion/Predictions

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 107 and 108 Discussion/Predictions

Chapter 107: Scan (CN) | Translation
    Chapter 108: Scan (CN) | Translation
    Last edited by Kaoz; September 03, 2013 at 01:02 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 107 and 108 Discussion/Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    Unless Byoudouin beat Oni in a rematch before Tanegashima did. And there's also the chance that Byoudouin beat Tanegashima.

Also 108 translation is up: http://translations.shamannet.com/?p=673
    Oni was #1 in the H1 year. So if he always lost to someone, that'd mean that guy has to lose more total games than Oni because that guy would have the tiebreaker if they've an even number of total losses. Even in a triangle inequality case like say Byodouin >> Tanegashima >> Oni >> Byodouin we know Oni must have the tiebreaker because he's #1 so Tanegashima must have fall behind elsewhere. Based on the flashback it sure looks like Oni being #1 was undisputed.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The H1 year is completely irrelevant to this discussion, we already know that Oni was undefeated during that time. The relevant years are H2 and H3, my point was that Byoudouin could have beaten Oni at the beginning of H2 when he returned from the mountains and Tanegashima and Oni didn't play until sometime during H2/H3.

Also, some trivia: There's actually a rural city named Tanegashima, which is on an island off the coast of Kagoshima in Kyuushu. Some of his lines also have an accent that matches that region. In other words, there's actually a chance that Tanegashima comes from there. Given that it's not exactly a big place and Tanegashima's attitude, there is even a chance that he might not have been invited to the camp immediately upon entering HS.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

There doesn't seem to be too many HS first year in the camp, unless I'm missing something. It's entirely possible that Oni and Byoudonin are very rare exceptions.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Prince Of Tennis Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 107 and 108 Discussion/Predictions

There's no real point in showing us the list like that if it isn't accurate.
    You go on as if the 1st String was just also accurate.
    There is no real requirement in it having to be accurate.
    Both Irie and Oni trolled through it. Yet Yukimura was 20th.

It seems Tanegashima must have took part in the Shuffle since Ryoma and all the MSers expected Tanegashima to be part of the 2nd Stringers.
    There is no other reason for the MSers to be surprised that he was going to jump to the 1stString side if he didn't get involved in the long shuffles.

Also, some trivia: There's actually a rural city named Tanegashima, which is on an island off the coast of Kagoshima in Kyuushu. Some of his lines also have an accent that matches that region. In other words, there's actually a chance that Tanegashima comes from there. Given that it's not exactly a big place and Tanegashima's attitude, there is even a chance that he might not have been invited to the camp immediately upon entering HS.
    Tanegashima has a dark skin tone but its darker than the 5 Kyushu guys who have tans (Kite, Chitose, Hirakoba, Kai & Tanishi).

Also, it was specifically stated in Pair Puri 10 that he is "The Leader of the 1st Court who hates planes" and that he is a "Kansai-ben speaking guy".

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The MSers already knew that Tanegashima was a first stringer before the ten day shuffle matches began, it was said when the BJB returned from the mountains and Ryoma even repeated it himself.

Yukimura being 20th was more or less made clear to be inaccurate by Kirihara's comment about the MSers not being considered, in other words, it's an exception we were specifically made aware of. Saying Oni and Irie didn't play at full strength doesn't really matter either as long as their position accurately reflects the versions of them that played in those matches (i.e. how they were in the shuffle matches).

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Also, it was specifically stated in Pair Puri 10 that he is "The Leader of the 1st Court who hates planes" and that he is a "Kansai-ben speaking guy".
    He switches between different dialects, he speaks with a kansai dialect at times, at times he uses standard Japanese and there are also times he uses an accent typical for Kagoshima.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Given the shuffle matches are supposed to determine the best 20 players in the reserve team it'd be pretty bizarre if Irie/Tokugawa/Oni never played each other in the 50 matches (5 a day * 50). I mean there aren't even 50 legitmate candidates for top 20 in the U17 camp but somehow the best 3 players never played each other? I'm pretty sure those matches aren't picked at random since there's literally no point to have the top 3 guys play anyone weaker than a court 3 equivalent.
    You're right here, but it said that everybody in the Shuffles are involved.
    So literally until we get the SPoT 10.5 databook translated we can't really confirm who really played who.

Yukimura was stuck in Court 6 but then rose to only No.20 but still it means the logic of only Court 3 and above playing each other now makes zero sense.
    Marui was stuck in Court 6 but then he was chosen to face the G10 so it means he must have risen to a higher court, (Most likely solution)
    Nakagauchi & Yamato were stuck in 5th Court but they rose to the Top10 afterwards.
    So really its possible that Tokugawa and Oni never met in the Shuffles. The Shuffles were really just involving everybody and everybody.

The MSers already knew that Tanegashima was a first stringer before the ten day shuffle matches began, it was said when the BJB returned from the mountains and Ryoma even repeated it himself.
    They were surprised that he didn't represent the 2ndString. As far as they knew, they were saying "Wasn't he from the 1stString but didn't go due to his fear of planes"
    And of course to both them and us readers, Tanegashima was one of the strong players who had stayed behind to be a Court Leader.
    Which created a patterned order of Oni at Court5, skip-a-court to Irie at Court3, skip-a-court to Tanegashima at Court1

For them to be surprised he didn't represent the 2ndString he must have gotten involved in shuffles.

He switches between different dialects, he speaks with a kansai dialect at times, at times he uses standard Japanese and there are also times he uses an accent typical for Kagoshima.
    Can I get a link to these times or somewhere it mentions this?
    Since I find it odd Konomi would only mention that he has a Kansai accent in his fanbook.

Yukimura being 20th was more or less made clear to be inaccurate by Kirihara's comment about the MSers not being considered, in other words, it's an exception we were specifically made aware of. Saying Oni and Irie didn't play at full strength doesn't really matter either as long as their position accurately reflects the versions of them that played in those matches (i.e. how they were in the shuffle matches).
    There are still inconsistencies that Konomi has put to us intentionally I believe.
    Why did Oni and Tokugawa line-up to face the No.1 and No.2 of the 1st String specifically,
    And then Irie faced the No.20?
    The numbers of the 2ndString didn't match the No.s that they faced in the 1stString quite a bit.
    Yamato No.10 was lined-up directly facing Mouri who is the No.10.

Why have some characters face their opposite number and have the rest random?
    That's a huge thing to take note of.

Why was the No.20 of the 2ndString taking on Fuwa the No.11?
    Why was No.19 taking No.17 Mitsuya?
    But No.10, 1 & 2 of the 2ndString faced their opposite number?
    No.11 faced Top10 instead of Nakagauchi who came in 8th?
    Etc.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

They were surprised that he didn't represent the 2ndString. As far as they knew, they were saying "Wasn't he from the 1stString but didn't go due to his fear of planes"
    There was no uncertainty in that line, it was "he is a 1st stringer", not "wasn't he a 1st stringer?". It was clearly stated as a fact.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/new_p...04/c048/7.html

And there are 20 positions in the 1st string, just because he's part of it doesn't mean he is in the top 10, and that is probably what Ryoma was surprised about.

Can I get a link to these times or somewhere it mentions this?
    Since I find it odd Konomi would only mention that he has a Kansai accent in his fanbook.
    No, I can give you a log though:

Quote Quote:
    Sai: lol tanegashima's name and skin tone implies he might actually be from the city of tanegashima >.>
    which is fairly rural
    and small
    in the middle of nowhere
    Sai: so maybe he didnt join till 2nd year
    since no one knew about him
    Sai: yeah shuuji speaks with a kansai accent
    though not an osaka kansai accent like kinarou or the rest of shiten
    Sai: though tanegashima the island is in kyuushuu
    Sai: regardless, shuuji is dark skinned and his name is taken from a tiny island off the coast of kagoshima in kyuushuu
    so its possible that hes from some small island city where noone noticed him until late
    Sai: i take that back he doesnt use kansai dialect
    he uses mostly standard japanese
    Kaoz: oh does he? I remember the anime giving him a rather strong dialect
    Sai: nm, was just looking over some of his text from recent chapters...some are really standard others arent
    Sai: well could just be that he hasnt spoken much
    but from a few lines i think hes actually speaking with a kagoshima accent
    which is in line with tanegashima the island
    Sai: like when he returns rai he says sayoka which is kagoshima accent
    but when he said there is no shot he cant return he uses the kansai dialects verb conjugation
    (standard/kantou) kaesenai -> (kansai) kaesehen -> (kagoshima) kaesan
    Sai: also its not uncommon for some kids to use kansai ben to be cool
    Sai: mainly tokyo kids
    hopefully when we get the next chapters we get some back story on him
    That said, Ken made a good observation as well in that we've seen only very few 1st year HSers so far, even the trash courts that were probably supposed to rise up eventually were all 2nd years (Sasabe, Matsudaira, Hirari, Tenjin, Todoroki, Murata). That would also match the policies most schools had in PoT, in that 1st years usually didn't make the regular team.

There are still inconsistencies that Konomi has put to us intentionally I believe.
    I have explained all of that from my side already and can do so again in case you have forgotten. On the other hand, I don't recall any explanation from your end why the line-up should be accurate and not the list.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    THE MH FOODIE 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Sai_the_Shaman's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

as a note, Konomi wouldnt mention accents...

It would be something you notice in how they phrase things. It kind of get loss in translations unless you'd like if I made them sound like hillbillies.

Tanegashima in particular has used kagoshima dialect in a few instances i can recall, but also has used kansai dialect verb conjugations here and there.

Honestly a lot of context probably does get lost in the translations of some characters since Japanese does have a lot of subtle ways to indicate chaacteristics in how they phrase things.

13. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tanegashima was a first stringer so he wouldn't be involved in the shuffle matches. They just didn't know he was part of the G10.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I have explained all of that from my side already and can do so again in case you have forgotten. On the other hand, I don't recall any explanation from your end why the line-up should be accurate and not the list.
    You didn't answer my point that the Court positions were extremely varied.
    Yukimura, Fuji, Yagyuu, Marui were in Court6, Irie, Nakagauchi and Yamato were in Court5, so the shuffles were extremely mixed.
    Its still very possible that out of the 127 White Jerseys + 27 Black Jerseys and each person faced only 50 people, are you going to tell me that its impossible to assume let's say 10 of these players didn't face each other?
    Or rather getting better results against other players doesn't confirm that another is a better player?

I've seen your using but I haven't come with this specific argument before.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

Thank's for the log on Tanegashima's accent btw

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't see the shuffle matches being picked completely at random given all the matches in the U17 camp are chosen by the coaches. Since the goal is to find the best 20 players in the camp it'd make very little sense if the guys you knew who are good (Oni/Tokuagawa/Irie) never played each other. While the MSer did point out the list wasn't solely as a result of win-loss record (otherwise more of them would be on it), I don't think anyone would question that Tokugawa, Oni, and Irie probably had the best records. Since Oni was only #2 it seems reasonable to assume him losing while taking it easy isn't exactly earth-shattering, which is why I assume the 'never beat Tanegashima' part must have been the first year.

I think Japanese manga tend to do their accents too frivilously. I remember talking to my Japanese friend and he says that Japanese all know how to speak proper Japanese so any difference is either trivial or it's going to be something a native speaker would have a hard time figuring out. I know in the Chinese stuff when they try to do a heavy accent they're always stuff you can just completely skip because it's not anything you could possibly understand unless you're a native speaker of that accent. An appropriate English translation would probably be something like Pig Latin, though honestly it'd be preferable to just translate it to something people can actually read for the sake of your sanity.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

You didn't answer my point that the Court positions were extremely varied.
    Yukimura, Fuji, Yagyuu, Marui were in Court6, Irie, Nakagauchi and Yamato were in Court5, so the shuffles were extremely mixed.
    Its still very possible that out of the 127 White Jerseys + 27 Black Jerseys and each person faced only 50 people, are you going to tell me that its impossible to assume let's say 10 of these players didn't face each other?
    Or rather getting better results against other players doesn't confirm that another is a better player?
    Well, for the first point, you can very easily rectify those positions in just a single match. Secondly, of course it's not impossible, but there is no point in giving us the final results of those matches, going through the trouble of putting them in order, just for it to be not accurate. Your best counter argument is that it's random, but for it to be random, a large majority looks pretty damn ordered to me.
    Not sure what you mean with the last bit.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Couple of things I need to point out:

1) Why are people dogmatically saying Oni lost to Shuuji without Kishin mode? That claim has zero evidence to support it. Oni has used Kishin every single time someone was worthy enough (Byoudouin/Kintarou). If he lost to Shuuji, that means Oni would have done all he could to win.

2) Why are people comparing black aura to GUYA? Have you guys forgotten that BA has bested the likes of YUKIMURA? Whos feat is to return everything and be the best MSer? Don't belittle what is being shown to us. Shuuji and Sanada are the two strongest people we've seen thus far. That's the whole point of plot progression. Im sure when Echizen plays, he will become even stronger.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

1) Oni supposedly hasn't been defeated during his first year. Furthermore Kijin is like a myth even among the current 3rd years, in other words they haven't actually seen it. For Tanegashima to have defeated Kijin!Oni, they must have played in some dark alley when literally nobody was watching.

2) Because it's similar in that you think the ball goes somewhere, but it ends up somewhere else. Yukimura didn't return it, that's true, but he wasn't paying that much attention during that situation. Would it work again now that he knows Sanada has it, and how it works? Maybe, maybe not.

On the topic of "plot progression", if anything it's to make the next guy look stronger, he doesn't actually have to be under all circumstances.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, for the first point, you can very easily rectify those positions in just a single match. Secondly, of course it's not impossible, but there is no point in giving us the final results of those matches, going through the trouble of putting them in order, just for it to be not accurate.
    I wouldn't go that far. It was a list of 2nd Stringers, I personally don't think that the final results are necessary at all myself, and considering that No.3 faced No.20 No.8 faced No.12/13, No.20 faced No.11, I don't see how there is any relevance that for the list to be either in order or not in order as neither make any notable difference to the storyline besides the fact Tokugawa was No.1.
    It seems I just can't be moved from this stance so I'll stop but I still don't see why that list had to be accurate from No.1 - No.19.

Your best counter argument is that it's random, but for it to be random, a large majority looks pretty damn ordered to me.
    Not sure what you mean with the last bit.
    Not really. Its got old HS 3rd Court mixed in with old HS 1st Court players since they aren't truly in order of court.
    The list has clustered 1st Court & 3rd Court, 1 2ndCourt guy and presumable a couple 4thCourters not in order of their court as opposed to neatly in order, then of course Yuki.
    So its "somewhat ordered".

The last bit is the fact that (beside Tokugawa and Byoudouin just being beasts) we can't really say in that list that one player in the list is better than the other player aside since mathematically there's a strong chance that out of the 153 players involved in the Player Shuffles, and each man played 50 Shuffles, there is a huge chance that there are individuals in that top 19 that didn't face each other.

So in other words, there results must have been based on how well they defeated other players, since its likely they didn't go head-to-head.

New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast