Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Thread

MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Star Trek Thread

Space: The Final Frontier...
    These are the thread discussions of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new fangirls/boys and new nerd civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before!

MH needs its own Star Trek discussion thread. Talk about The Original Series, movies, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, 2009 reboot, Into Darkness...

Which one is your favorite?

To what extent does your Trekkie nature span?

Have you had any wonderful Trekkie moments lately?

For example, today I decided to wear my Science Officer shirt (courtesy of ThinkGeek) and my running pants to look super Trekkie chic. The traffic on the way to class this morning was horrific stop-and-go misery, so I was running late. In order to not miss the quiz given at the beginning of class, I sprinted through the parking lot and campus grounds. On my way past the math building, I heard someone yell, "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" after me.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Star Trek Thread

Good one - Naomi/

I loved the Enterprise one - I used to watch it all the time.
    After hearing your bodacious trekkie adventure I must say I'm tempted to pull a captain Krik well the older version of him anyways ^_^;
    I don't have a favorite per-se I kinda liked all of them. Even the recent one that didn't last so long.... forgot its name. The one with whats his face?! That was canceled.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member White Rabbit's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

My favourites:

1. DS9 (yeah, call it a Babylon5-ripoff all you want... I still like it)
    2. Next Gen (I got socialized with this stuff)
    3. Star Trek (well, it's classic)
    4. Voyager (no enjoyable characters at all)

I still have to watch the Enterprise-show with Scott Bakula... I was "a little" fed up with the franchise after Voyager.
    The movies by Abrams put the scifi in the background and give more focus to the kirk/spock-bromance... but it kinda works for me too.

The last Trekkie-moment I can recall:
    Two colleagues at work had a fight and our superiour said to them: "Now everyone calm down and set your phasers back to stun!"
    Not very spectacular, I know... but it made me smirk at the moment.
    Music of rebellion makes you wanna rage

But it's made by millionaires who're nearly twice your age

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah - that was a nice moment with your superior.

DS9 - Wasn't soooo bad, I enjoyed it.
    Voyager - I liked that 7of-9 (did I remember that right?) My memory isnt really that good.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently finishing up season three of The Next Generation on Netflix, and so far I like the original Star Trek better. There's room for change I'm sure, but I think the original series hold a dear place for me.

And I laughed at what that supervisor said, White Rabbit. You can be sure that I'm so going to use that some time in the near future. XD

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Data -

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Data your favorite character, Charlie?

Star Trek Into Darkness came out in the USA yesterday and I watched it three times.

Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't Data everyones favourite character?
    No, wait... that would be Garak.

I also watched "Into Darkness" again and I almost felt sorry for Pine and Quinto because Cumberbatch stole every scene he was in.
    That guy surely deserves the hype.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a favorite character - per se but data did have some moments.
    I think over-all I kind of liked most if not all, over time and depending on the series.

If I had to pick - I would probably lean towards : Q.
    I just loved the fauntastic super magical powers this guy had oh and if anyone recalls the episode where he had mated with another Q (female) in virtually less than a second - that also rocked her world fantastically, was freaking awesome. .

@ WR - Garak - is pretty nice had some moments as well .

Last edited by Charlie; September 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
    Isn't Data everyones favourite character?
    No, wait... that would be Garak.
    Spock! But as far as The Next Generation goes, I'd say Data is certainly one of the more entertaining/interesting characters. I haven't been introduced to Garak before now... He seems like a little shit. I'll prolly love him.

Quote Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
    I also watched "Into Darkness" again and I almost felt sorry for Pine and Quinto because Cumberbatch stole every scene he was in.
    That guy surely deserves the hype.
    I think the chase/fight between Cumberbatch and Quinto was pretty awesome, and Quinto definitely stole the scene. Although I definitely know what you're talking about. I'm not a huge Chris Pine fan, but I think he plays Kirk rather well. Cumberbatch is the perfect villain, yet he does a wonderful job as Sherlock too.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    I don't have a favorite character - per se but data did have some moments.
    I think over-all I kind of liked most if not all, over time and depending on the series.

If I had to pick - I would probably lean towards : Q.
    I just loved the fauntastic super magical powers this guy had oh and if anyone recalls the episode where he had mated with another a in virtually less than a second - that also rocked her world fantastically, was freaking awesome. .
    Q??? Ehhhh? That guy! I think he's annoying as hell (although he's supposed to be). XD There are certainly some characters I dislike. Wesley Crusher would probably be number one. And so far I find Riker extremely boring.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah - he was totally annoying as a character but he was an intrusive individual, thus he was supposed to be one I guess.

Your two favorites - right thurr.

I didn't find him boring but when I think about it - I think you're kinda right.
    WC - had always came off as a weird one for me.

Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Wesley had the same problem as Jake Sisko... kids in ST are just precocious little adults. You gotta hate them.

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Jake Sisko was pretty cool after season 3 though. He had a nice character arc as a writer instead of a starfleet officer. Without Jake, we would have never gotten both one of the funniest episode ("In the Cards", which invented the wonderful phrase "soulless minions of orthdoxy") and one of the saddest episodes ("The Visitor", oh my GOD "The Visitor" ).

Wesley was just fucked from day one. Roddenberry should've never been allowed to put in Wesley as a character. I could never stop despising him. Except in "The First Duty". He had a pretty good character and a juicy acting piece then. But "Journey's End" was horrible.

Beverly Crusher is my most hated character. She is so annoying and screws up the most. She is a terrible doctor as far as most of the episodes are concerned. They are so busy making her maternal that she just plain sucks. Pulaski wiped the floor with her as a doctor. Plus, I loved Pulaski for not taking anyone's shit. She had prejudices, sure, but she reevaluated them. Beverly had no such character flaws or even character.

So yeah... I love DS9 and Babylon 5 equally. Babylon 5 has an excellent take on religious characters and beliefs, plus excellent effects for the time. DS9 introduced many sublayers to the Star Trek world, like Section 31 and the other intelligence agencies. Babylon 5 designed a new world from scratch. They really aren't comparable.

My second fav goes TOS for my childhood series and great actor dynamics. Because this is my childhood series, I am allergic to people messing with the original characters and thus the reboot series really makes me angry. Spock was fairly stable unless you really really pushed him. You couldn't goad him as easily. He valued logic. To see his character throwing tantrums with very little provocation is downright disrespectful to the original character. McCoy was supposed to be the emotional center and his character is too often underwritten. Kirk is supposed to be good at listening, a bookworm from the Academy, not a jerk jock. The reboot is basically bad fanfiction to me, and I very much value good fanfiction. Star Trek Continues is a far greater successor to TOS.

I really can't stand Enterprise, Voyager or Next Gen.

Enterprise gets too awfully negative and nasty. I enjoy the episode "A Night in Sickbay" because I view it as a slapstick comedy, even though it is supposed to be dramatic. I do not like how T'Pol is consistently attacked for being a good science officer and I despise Trip Tucker. That actor is just very poor at doing sarcastic bastards or evil geniuses -- he can only be used as a moral center. They screwed that up. Bakula can't maintain the beats of a captain very well. He doesn't listen, he doesn't empathize, and is an all around cruddy leader. But sometimes, when Bakula didn't play a captain, like in the fourth season "Kir'Shara" arc, he does much better.

In Voyager, some episodes are really really good (Scorpion, Equinox, Unity) and some are really really bad. I feel miffed that the writers could not decide how to write a lead female character. In one episode they'd have her as an oversensitive motherly character, in the next they'd have her as a cold narrow-minded character. The writers were not consistent with her. They misused all of the cast, despite their strengths. The only characters they got a handle on were Seven of Nine, Tom Paris, B'Elanna Torres, and The Doctor. The last three were all due to significant actor involvement in their characters.

Next Gen is just too painfully pretentious and pompous. I will never forgive Picard for being okay with letting an entire civilization die in front of a scientist's eyes. He was the Boomer ideal of a captain. That's why Q was an excellent foil to him. But most of the episodes don't stand the test of time. Like with Voyager, very few episodes are good and most are really bad.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by earthforge View Post
    Spock was fairly stable unless you really really pushed him. You couldn't goad him as easily. He valued logic. To see his character throwing tantrums with very little provocation is downright disrespectful to the original character.
    Little provocations like the destruction of his home planet or the murder of his captain and friend?
    Don't get me wrong... I won't disagree that they made the character of Spock more "human" in the new movies... but I think his tantrums in both films had a pretty believable reason.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Sharing some videos - I watched earlier.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast