Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Star Trek Thread

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ComradeLewis's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Star Trek Thread

Hey, what a cool thread.

I've been going over all of the series the past year or so, just to see if a re-evaluation was in order. I should probably say that I never gave Enterprise a chance, like I suppose most people did not. The timing of the series was really poor, and they catered to their audience's whims too much, instead of writing plots that they wanted told. That said, I really enjoyed Enterprise a lot now that it's been off the air for about 8 years now. It did lack the exploratory nature of the series, but a good war epic is entertaining, if not a bit sad and depressing that Star Trek had to come to that state to keep people's interest.

I loved Next Generation and DS9 just as much as I did the first time I saw them, when I was a lot younger. However, re-evaluating Voyager has been an effort in frustration. I remember hating the series when I was a kid, and altogether abandoning the series after season 4 or 5. Getting home? You could fly into the closest star for all I care. All the other series had bad writing moments and laughable acting at times, but no other series had an entire cast that was completely unlikable. The last month I have sat through 15 episodes of the first season, and I don't even know why. There was only 1 episode involving Tuvok that was somewhat decent, the rest were annoying, childish, the concepts were copied from copies of copies of Next Generation episodes that were based on history. Watch season 1 episode 6. I hereby declare it the worst episode of any Star Trek series. The captain getting the munchies is suppose to hold you through the intro, Neelix (The Jar'jar of ST) has PMS for some reason that was never explained, doctor hazing for laughs, a space amoeba has a boo-boo, and all the crew need to find their inner Pokemon.

Sorry about the rant.

I love the Sisko character and Garak makes every episode he is in. If your planning on trying DS9, and I would recommend it if you like politics, I would warn you that they guy that plays Bashir does a poor job of acting the first few seasons, but gets a bit better later on, or maybe it's Colm Meany (O'Brien) that is supporting him, I'm not sure.

You know that actor that played Garak wrote a Star Trek novel called "A Stitch In Time?" I haven't read it yet, but it's gotten some really good reviews. Don't read the one that Quark's actor wrote (Andrew Shimerman), I did read that one, and it takes the cake for one of the worst ST novels I have read.

Oh, have you watched the Animated Series? I was totally jazzed about finding it after watching 4 episodes, however the series crashes and burns horribly after that. Just track down the episode called Yesteryear, that's the best of whole series.
    Last edited by ComradeLewis; September 19, 2013 at 03:38 AM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Mainly seen NG and Voyager, DS9 didn't have much air time as those two so I missed a lot of what was shown.

Man do I miss the time when we got so many actors wearing ugly alien masks and giving live to them. Sadly Defiance doesn't get much right either.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a star trek fan.
    My classment:
    1. Voyager
    2. Star Trek TNG
    3. Star Trek Enterprise
    4. DSN

I didn't watch much of the original serie (it didn't age well to say the least).
    I didn't like DSN. Star trek is about exploration & aside from Quark (and maybe the doc), I didn't give a flying fuck about any of the characters.
    Voyager is my favourite because there was something new in each episode. Plus, the borg were very present which is always a plus.

Favourite Specie: The Q continuum
    Favourite Villain: The Borg
    Favourite Captain: Picard
    Favourite Crew Member: Data
    Favourite Scenario: Voyager.

I really enjoy the new movies & I expect more in the future.
    Last edited by zelllogan; September 24, 2013 at 01:02 PM.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally! I reeled Earthy in here. c:< This was my master plan behind making a Star Trek thread in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by earthforge View Post
    Wesley was just fucked from day one. Roddenberry should've never been allowed to put in Wesley as a character. I could never stop despising him. Except in "The First Duty". He had a pretty good character and a juicy acting piece then. But "Journey's End" was horrible.
    Ugh. I know. He was just so perfect. A Mary Sue if there ever was one!

Beverly Crusher is my most hated character. She is so annoying and screws up the most. She is a terrible doctor as far as most of the episodes are concerned. They are so busy making her maternal that she just plain sucks. Pulaski wiped the floor with her as a doctor. Plus, I loved Pulaski for not taking anyone's shit. She had prejudices, sure, but she reevaluated them. Beverly had no such character flaws or even character.
    Amen! I can't stand her most of the time either! At least I don't get tired of looking at her captivating hair. That saving grace at least allowed me to try and tolerate her. Boo on both of the Crushers!

My second fav goes TOS for my childhood series and great actor dynamics. Because this is my childhood series, I am allergic to people messing with the original characters and thus the reboot series really makes me angry. Spock was fairly stable unless you really really pushed him. You couldn't goad him as easily. He valued logic. To see his character throwing tantrums with very little provocation is downright disrespectful to the original character. McCoy was supposed to be the emotional center and his character is too often underwritten. Kirk is supposed to be good at listening, a bookworm from the Academy, not a jerk jock. The reboot is basically bad fanfiction to me, and I very much value good fanfiction. Star Trek Continues is a far greater successor to TOS.
    I'm sorry that you had distaste for the reboot. I thoroughly enjoyed them, flaws and all. I really know what you're saying here about McCoy though. I was hopeful that he might play a larger role in the second film of the reboot, but was disappointed to find he had almost a smaller role. The Spock & Kirk bromance is classic, but Bones was a huge dynamic in the original series! It was so sad to see his character sort of brushed to the side.

Next Gen is just too painfully pretentious and pompous. I will never forgive Picard for being okay with letting an entire civilization die in front of a scientist's eyes. He was the Boomer ideal of a captain. That's why Q was an excellent foil to him. But most of the episodes don't stand the test of time. Like with Voyager, very few episodes are good and most are really bad.
    Ok. I am so glad that you said this. I just completed the fourth season of The Next Generation. There has been something that has inherently bothered me since beginning this series. I could never form the nagging feeling into words, but pompous is a wonderful way to put it. Not to mention, I just feel like it doesn't even begin to live up to the original series. As I watch this show, I find it entertaining enough...yet a majority of the time I just end up wishing I'm watching the original show again. The characters simply do not captivate me.

Quote Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
    Little provocations like the destruction of his home planet or the murder of his captain and friend?
    Don't get me wrong... I won't disagree that they made the character of Spock more "human" in the new movies... but I think his tantrums in both films had a pretty believable reason.
    There was that one episode in the show where he almost murders Kirk just for him spaying insults and (if I recall correctly) using the term "halfbreed". So I have to agree with you on this one. His rage fits seem pretty justified.

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    I didn't watch much of the original serie (it didn't age well to say the least).
    Ah! I must disagree! I think it's one of those cult shows that withstood time quite gracefully.

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    I really enjoy the new movies & I expect more in the future.
    The third installment of the franchise is already being discussed and planned. The estimated time frame of its completion is 2016.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I just finished the TV series of Star Trek The Next Generation. I haven't watched the movies yet, but I have to say overall I liked TNG. It's certainly nothing compared to love I have for the Original Series, but it's still solidly good overall. I didn't like the characters as much, but it certainly had its moments. I thoroughly enjoyed the series finale.

Onward, to Deep Space Nine!
    Last edited by Naomidee; December 06, 2013 at 08:56 PM.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member TStew's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Big fan here, I was totally a huge trekkie back in my school days up through college. When I went to the city for college there were many fan clubs about (not so much in rural countryside where I grew up) and I joined a Klingon group. I made all sorts of props and cosplays back then. Klingons where just so much more fun. Made actual metal trimmed Klingon uniform, a working painstaff, and multiple bat'leth and meq'leth cut from aluminum stock. The meq'leths I made each unique with a different style.

Spoiler show

I've recovered from being that much of a fan though... now I've moved to anime lol! Haven't really done or even watched ST in years, pretty much since I bought a house and got full time job... life just finally kicked in. Heck for many years I didn't watch any tv really, and don't now with the exception of some anime now and then, and I've only started in anime 3 years ago.

I grew up with my parents watching reruns of the original series, thats what got me into it. Then TNG came out, maybe when I was in 5th grade? Thats always been my favorite ST series.
    T~Stew

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

That's some pretty basass gear you made there, TSew. Gotta say.

Quote Originally Posted by TStew View Post
    I've recovered from being that much of a fan though...

In other news, it looks like Nimoy has lung disease. :c

SOURCE: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26064849

Don't smoke, kids.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member TStew's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Naomidee - yeah sorry mean no disrespect I still love Trek, but I was definitely too much into it at the time, I'm sure it effected my grades when I was doodling starship designs in calc class. I had probably over 100 designs, many with cut-a-way cross sections and deck layout, stats, even was making my own D&D style game back then.

I didnt elaborate, but that disruptor was also one of my favorite pieces. Back then they were just coming out with the props that were plastic and had lights and sound. But I started building that before those were available. Thats a solid resign model kit that I put a lot of work into, but I customized it considerably. For one, the kit seemed a little smaller than the real props on the show (even though it was nearly double the size of the plastic toys that later came out), and came with chintzy clear plastic tubes you had to paint grey, instead I used chrome platter copper pipes, cut with a couple inches extra to give some additional length and weight to the gun. Then, the central part I hollowed out by hand with a dremel as much as I dare went all the way around (burned through in one spot, I was able to repair). I was in college at the time for electronics engineering, and wanted to build one with some cool lights and stuff. It took a few tries and modifications to make a circuit small enough to fit. I had to use tiny 32-guage wire wrap wire, and a programmable logic chip. I put a 10 segment bar graph display, four switches and a dial, and a pushbutton. Depending on which position the switches were in, the lights would go through 4 different sequences, either automatically scrolling based on the speed set on the dial, or manually stepped by pressing the button. I also put lasers in it, not just one, but three that made a triangle like the Predator. I knew of nothing else at the time that had the three laser pattern. This is a break from the actual Klingon design a little, but it was well worth the effort. It took probably 6 months to build, and the logic alone took some few weeks and ~50 lines of boolean code to do the sequences I wanted (initially it was more, but I had to reduce the number and simplicity) and ended up maxing out the chip using all of its outputs at near their max logic gates. Today they could probably make a chip to do 100x as much and just be a spec. But I was also limited on what I could afford, and working in the electronic lab stockroom at the school, well the chips we had in stock were sort of free.

Here is a closer view of the disruptor, though its not that great of a pic.
    Spoiler show

It was really fun working on all that. I miss my old Klingon group.

Oh and while the Bat'leths where only 1/8" aluminum, the Meq'leth's are actually pretty solid 1/4" aluminum. Really wanted to make one out of steel, but aluminum was easier to work with at the time, and they were just for display and mock combat displays, not for real object contact.
    T~Stew

13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Come home drunk, watch some Star Trek.

---------- Post added February 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was February 21, 2014 at 11:54 PM ----------

I would like to know your guys' thoughts on the animated series.

Here are some of my all-time favorite moments;
    Spoiler show

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2