Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 111 of 134 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2003

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2013-2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2013-2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

A good series makes success with old series ending or not. We can see clearly the difference between the series which are cancelled and the popular ones. Assassination Classroom, Shokugeki no Soma, Haikyuu! and Nisekoi have more quality than the others.
    Last edited by Leoat12; November 05, 2013 at 09:35 PM.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leoat12 View Post
    A good series makes success with old series ending or not. We can see clearly the difference between the series which are cancelled and the popular ones. Assassination Classroom, Shokugeki no Soma, Haikyuu! and Nisekoi have more quality than the others.
    Id have to disagree, I dont think surviving necessarily means a story is more quality than others, Nisekoi often struggles with finding an actual story to tell constantly and feels consistently as if pacing moved slower than molasses.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Id have to disagree, I dont think surviving necessarily means a story is more quality than others, Nisekoi often struggles with finding an actual story to tell constantly and feels consistently as if pacing moved slower than molasses.
    But, it has more quality than past axed series.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the way that the series is made and I don't have complains about that, it is School Life/Slice of Life after all, it is just normal have chapters that don't have nothing to do with the plot directly. Even these chapters that people complain so much are enjoyable and I haven't seen no one that can disagree with it. For a romcom, be enjoyable and funny almost always is the biggest quality.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Shinuki no Reborn's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not the "way" that Nisekoi was made, the mangá had a plot and story but since the chapter 50, all this simply stopped and turned a infinite filler, nothing happens, not has romance, character development and etc, just random situations, one thing is a romcom, slice of life, other is a bunch of filler, i'm still liking Nisekoi, but sometimes i really get tired of the lacked of plot
    Last edited by Shinuki no Reborn; November 05, 2013 at 10:16 PM.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shinuki no Reborn View Post
    This is not the "way" that Nisekoi was made, the mangá had a plot and story but since the chapter 50, all this simply stopped and turned a infinite filler, nothing happens, not has romance, character development and etc, one thing is a romcom, slice of life, other is a bunch of filler, i'm still liking Nisekoi, but sometimes i really get tired of this.
    Have you read the series properly? A bunch of things happened since chapter 50, and it was not a bunch of filler at all.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

What of important happened?? still everything the same thing, Raku don't makes anything and still knows nothing about the feelings of the others, Chitoge loves him but not make nothing, Onodera the same thing, Haru is annoying and lately has more attention that Onodera in the manga, Marika and Tsugumi still the same thing, the useless harem of Raku still increase more and more, the pendant was forgotten for chapters and chapters and returning just now, the story simply does not advance in matter of story and romance, i'm expected that in this week will a good chapter for the anniversary
    Last edited by Shinuki no Reborn; November 05, 2013 at 10:42 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    i wish they wouldn't cancel any series just for once. it feels like with all those new popular ones that they send rookie mangaka out to die. i really believe that one big reason for the success of all these recent mangas is that so many series ended to make room for them and now that isn't the case anymore. i don't mean to stop canceling series entirely, but maybe 2-3 rounds a year instead of the usual 4 for a while.
    The magazine is already one of the most open and welcoming to newcomers. Unfortunately, there's a business to run, and there's a little something in economics known as scarcity. That is, there's only so much space and time for the magazine to accommodate so many aspiring mangaka.

For the editors, they can lean between two options:
    A. Reserve the space and time for more established series, or
    B. Use that space and time to fish through a pond of all the aspiring mangaka in the country in hopes that one will come out with solid gold.

It's true that they've been leaning towards option A recently, but they've already leaned towards option B much more compared to many other magazines.

It's a business strategy the editors have adapted for so long already, and it works well because it gives more mangaka a chance to make it big, as well as encouraging them to produce a higher-quality series. Consequently, it's not perfect because there are bound to be a significant number of cancelled series, but to the editors, it's all about the greater good.

Id rather bad unappealing series be quickly removed from the line and fresh hotness be replaced than sitting and waiting for months on end for bad stuff to end. Did anyone seriously want to keep reading Smoky BB or Koisuru edison or whatever? or Hungry Joker in its unfortunate extreme paced abridged format in the final few chaps?
    With that said, as for some of the series you mention in particular, SharkBait, there's a reason why I have very little sympathy for them, and some others.
    I've been checking regularly through this Wikipedia page since about a year ago, the editors of which seem to keep very good track of past and ongoing serials within the magazine. There, I've been seeing some mangaka who, after tanking with their first serializations, have this bright idea of trying again.

Just one problem: if they don't bother planning enough for their new series, they're just going to tank again like their past serials, which has been the case for many of the recent serializations I've seen. They do a disservice to the editors and readers by wasting space on the magazine, to other, more competent mangaka waiting for months to have their new series published, and to themselves by giving a bad impression to the editors, potentially putting themselves on, dare I say, an editorial blacklist. Ask yourselves, for example, do you think Yasuki Tanaka is going to return after his second serial, Kagijin, failed all the way back in 2009, not long after his first serial also failed?

There do seem to be some mangaka who know what they're doing and had taken some serious effort into doing their homework before letting out a new serial, such as Yūto Tsukuda. His first serial, Shonen Shikku, bombed at ~16 chapters, but then he comes back with a oneshot for Shokugeki no Soma and collaborated with the likes of Yuki Morisaki, a professional in the culinary industry. Now, he's managed to pull what we can all agree is a smash hit. Personally, I'd put Daisuke Ashihara in this category too, having done two oneshots several years prior before finally serializing World Trigger, based on his previous works as mentioned. Although it's been extremely slow-paced, it seems to be likable for the moment among editors and readers.

As far as I can tell, the best way to find out if a mangaka planned well enough for their second serial is to check if they:
    A. published a oneshot, AND/OR
    B. waited a long-enough time after their last serial to publish a new one

I know it's subjective for me to suggest how long it should take for a failed mangaka to return, and I know it's none of my business as to when they want to return to the magazine, but when I see mangaka re-appear less than two years after their first failed serials ended, it gives me a very bad feeling. In some cases, I dare to say they might be impulsive, not trying, or both.

Actually, probably the most extreme example I've noticed is Kohei Horikoshi. Even though he published a precursor oneshot, Uchu Shonen Bulge, before starting Sensei no Bulge, he serialized Sensei no Bulge only a little more than a year after his previous blunder, Oumagadoki Zoo. As much faith I had in Bulge when it started, if I had considered back then how little time Horikoshi spent on planning this series, I would've given up all faith on him a lot sooner. Funny I mention this series, because I used to wish it'd stay longer in the magazine, not that all the serials after its existence were much better, but now I've actually come to reason why it probably got shafted so early in the first place; it's the anti-World Trigger when it comes to planning.

So that's my grudge with some of these second serializations from returning mangaka who had previously failed serials, little to no planning for their second, and potentially, only other chance on the magazine.
    Last edited by FanOfAniManga; November 06, 2013 at 12:43 AM.
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What of important happened?? still everything the same thing, Raku don't makes anything and still knows nothing about the feelings of the others, Chitoge loves him but not make nothing, Onodera the same thing, Haru is annoying and lately has more attention that Onodera in the manga, Marika and Tsugumi still the same thing, the useless harem of Raku still increase more and more, the pendant was forgotten for chapters and chapters and returning just now, the story simply does not advance in matter of story and romance, i'm expected that in this week will a good chapter for the anniversary
    That's not how these type of manga work. The story is not supposed to revolve around a series of sequential events, like an action or sports manga. Those chapters where nothing happen are the point of the story. Fans of the genre pick out a girl to root for, read for the interaction between characters, the jokes, and romantic moments. You are in for nothing but disappointment if you expect the story to advance like One Piece or HQ would. Nisekoi is a harem manga, has been from the beginning. The harem is bound to grow. When Raku does pick a girl, the series is going to end. That's how harem manga work. The truth about the pendant will be the climax of the manga, leading to him picking a girl, bringing the series to an end. There's a formula for these type of things.

I haven't read Nisekoi is at least year. It could suck now, for all I know. From the complaints I have seen, it mostly seems like fans expecting the series to be something it never was. It's a harem manga, expect Nisekoi to follow harem manga genre conventions.
    Last edited by Kaiten; November 05, 2013 at 11:05 PM.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Stark700's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Expectations from a harem? L O L O L.

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Then, do you expect that rom-com series to have a story which leads to next arc, like the action series?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Eru13's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FanOfAniManga View Post
    [...]past and ongoing serials within the magazine. There, I've been seeing some mangaka who, after tanking with their first serializations, have this bright idea of trying again.[...]
    You know, your post made me re-realize something, almost all of the series that started between 2011 and Summer 2013 and are still ongoing have several common traits: (except Ansatsu, Matsui is the exception in almost everything xD)
    1) They are by mangaka that had failed (sometimes rather badly) with one previous serialization and then came up with the current series which either became a hit or at least didn't fail immediately
    Spoiler show

2) They made one or more oneshots for the story before trying to do a series
    Spoiler show

3) They changed genres (sometimes rather dramatically) in contrast to the previous serialization
    Spoiler show

I'm well aware that there's a lot of other mangaka who went to similar processes and didn't make a hit, but my point is that it would seem that newbies are almost guaranteed to fail in Jump as it is now (that or we haven't had a really good newbie in Jump in a real long while xD)

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I know how a romcom/slice of life works and i read/watch a lot of this type of series, but Nisekoi lately not make nothing. Since the chapter 50 the manga stop with real character development and plot, the romance never advance, not even a little, and the characters just are reunite for the random situations that not going anywhere, and Nisekoi not was this.

simplifying, the majority of lately complains is because the manga since a determinate moment stoped with plot and development that Nisekoi had before, and now is almost 100 chapters and everything still the same thing.

How i say before, i like and i read Nisekoi since the first week, but sometimes is really tiring the total lack of development and romance of lately chapters
    Last edited by Shinuki no Reborn; November 06, 2013 at 12:54 AM.

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member lynxian's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eru13 View Post
    2) They made one or more oneshots for the story before trying to do a series
    Except AK again and maybe HQ (I'm not sure about HQ, I think it had one too...)
    And well, WT had two, Saiki had like... 5?
    Yup, HQ had two oneshots. And come to think of it, AK is a pretty weird exception to the rule. o_O; I wonder if there was a oneshot at one point, but it just never saw the light of day.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Stark700's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I know how a romcom/slice of life works and i read/watch a lot of this type of series, but Nisekoi lately not make nothing. Since the chapter 50 the manga stop with real character development and plot, the romance never advance, not even a little, and the characters just are reunite for the random situations that not going anywhere, and Nisekoi not was this.
    If you understand how rom coms work, then you would know that Nisekoi is not an exception to that rule. Simple as that. What's happening in there should not come at any surprise. End of discussion. Lol.

Thread Closed
Page 111 of 134 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 ... LastLast