Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Krista's Death Wish

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Krista's Death Wish

One of the more interesting sub-plots that's been going on (albeit very subtly) since the beginning is Krista's death wish. Apparently she joined the military for the sole reason of dying a hero.

Before we get into the psychology of this, let me recap all the times she has tried to get herself killed. These may be slightly out of order:

Suicide Attempt #1 - The Defense of Trost.

Krista and Yimir were absent during the raid on the supply station and later when speaking with Connie Krista mentioned that she had volunteered for a supply run. Given her history of trying to get herself killed, I'm assuming she was doing something fairly dangerous and Yimir kept her from becoming overly reckless somehow.

Suicide Attempt #2 - Mountain Training with Dazz

This was probably the most obvious since Yimir just came out and exposed it for us all. Krista told Yimir to go on ahead while she struggled to pull Dazz's sorry ass up the hill, knowing that she probably wouldn't make it.

This incident is also very interesting due to the high levels of cognitive dissonance Krista displayed. Her concern for Dazz seemed sincere but she had to have known that she was going to get him killed along with herself if she kept on without asking Yimir for help.

Suicide Attempt #3 - Female Titan Ambush

This one was REALLY obvious after I went back and read this chapter. Jean, Armin, and Reiner are stranded after their skirmish with Annie and fire of the "holy shit somethings gone terribly wrong" emergency flare. Krista then shows up ALONE! She clearly tried to get herself killed.

Suicide Attempts #4, 5, and 6 - The Castle Battle

When all hope seems lost Krista is (of course) the first to suggest fighting to the death.

Then after Yimir jumps down there and starts fighting Krista stands dangerously close to the edge while cheering her on, nearly falling to her death only to be saved by Reiner. This repeats once again with Connie having to hold her back.

Finally Krista decides she isn't trying hard enough to die so she gets up and stands on the very edge of the rampart while encouraging Yimir to tear the tower down.

Suicide Attempt #7 - Castle Battle Aftermath

Seeing Yimir being devoured by titans Krista wishes to tell her her real name... and apparently wants to get killed in the process. She recklessly rushes into a mob of titans but fortunately she is saved by Mikasa.

Suicide Attempt #8 - Massive Titan Battle with Reiner and Bertholdt

After things go to hell, Krista decides to stay and fight with Yimir instead of retreating. She is saved by Connie who points out that sticking around and fighting endangers not only herself but also Yimir who was having trouble fighting and protecting Krista at the same time.

Once again, she displays a high level of cognitive dissonance especially in regards to Yimir's claim that Reiner and Bert will kill her if they don't bring Krista along. Surely Krista had to have realized that instead of heading back to the Scouting Legion for protection (the smart thing to do) Yimir instead chose to kidnap her instead and go with those who she claimed would try to kill her. That makes no sense what-so-ever if Yimir is really trying to save herself and even blockhead Connie picked up on how illogical this was.

Why is Krista Suicidal?

My best guess is that she has practically no self-esteem due to being the bastard child of a noble family. In an environment where status is everything she was most likely looked down upon as scum by not only her family but her peers as well. Her childhood was probably pretty traumatizing and she probably had no friends. She did seem pretty excited when she thought Yimir was following her to be friends with her during the Dazz flashback.

To this effect, joining the military to get killed was both a way of validating her existence and proving her self-worth while at the same time putting an end to her own suffering. In other words, killing two birds with one stone.

That being said, I don't think her "goddess" persona is entirely a facade. She most likely is a kind, caring individual who puts others before herself (though the Dazz incident is questionable) but I also think that she is dead set on getting herself killed, preferably for the sake of someone else so she can prove her self-worth to others and herself.

Fortunately this sub-plot seems to be moving forward now and maybe we'll get some deeper insight into what makes Krista tick, as well as where her relationship with Yimir is going. Unfortunately I think one of them will be sacrificed at some point to further the character development of the other.
    Last edited by Sigma; September 10, 2013 at 01:20 AM.

2. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Krista's Death Wish

Hey welcome!

I really lol'ed at #3 Never noticed that... Although it is possible Christa was assigned on her own, she's a rookie and I suppose there should be someone watching over her. That said, she finds Jean's horse... So I really don't know what's she's thinking other than trying to 'sacrifice' herself.

But I don't think she's trying to kill herself during Ymir's fight... that wouldn't make too much sense since Ymir's trying to protect her, and what's more she just got told off by Ymir for being suicidal. #7 is the same... it's more like she's passionate about further building this relationship with Ymir. I think ever since Christa got told off at the Castle, she has changed. #8 is kind of like, giving her life to Ymir in return for Ymir giving her life for Christa... I wouldn't exactly call this suicidal :/

I totally agree with your summary at the end. I think one of them is bound to go, and I suspect it would be Ymir since she's lived quite long, it would make sense in that case... Ymir's finally found a purpose in life (for Christa) and together with what Connie says, Ymir isn't really trying to save her own skin, rather she's trying to protect Christa from the "end of the world," as you have rightly suggested, using Christa's kindness to make her come to safety with R&B.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Krista's Death Wish

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    Hey welcome!
    Thanks.

Quote Quote:
    I really lol'ed at #3 Never noticed that... Although it is possible Christa was assigned on her own, she's a rookie and I suppose there should be someone watching over her. That said, she finds Jean's horse... So I really don't know what's she's thinking other than trying to 'sacrifice' herself.
    We'll probably never know but all the other recruits like Sasha and Armin had competent squad leaders with them. Krista probably volunteered to check things out and her squad leader let her go since Jean's horse came to her and they probably couldn't spare any more people at that point.

Quote Quote:
    But I don't think she's trying to kill herself during Ymir's fight... that wouldn't make too much sense since Ymir's trying to protect her, and what's more she just got told off by Ymir for being suicidal. #7 is the same... it's more like she's passionate about further building this relationship with Ymir. I think ever since Christa got told off at the Castle, she has changed. #8 is kind of like, giving her life to Ymir in return for Ymir giving her life for Christa... I wouldn't exactly call this suicidal :/
    I don't think she was consciously trying to kill herself, I think it was more subconscious in those instances. She has displayed a lot of cognitive dissonance (I think I'm misusing that word, but I can't think of the right term) like I mentioned; she may say one thing but her actions will prove otherwise, like when she said she wanted to save Dazz but her actions would have gotten him killed. I don't think even she realizes that she's doing this in some cases.

I also don't think Krista has changed significantly just yet. I just don't think she's quite reached that point in her character development but I do think that is where things are going. And I think Yimir's death may be the turning point for her as you said.

Quote Quote:
    I totally agree with your summary at the end. I think one of them is bound to go, and I suspect it would be Ymir since she's lived quite long, it would make sense in that case... Ymir's finally found a purpose in life (for Christa) and together with what Connie says, Ymir isn't really trying to save her own skin, rather she's trying to protect Christa from the "end of the world," as you have rightly suggested, using Christa's kindness to make her come to safety with R&B.
    Given what little we know about R&B's objective and the supposed organization they work for I'm still very skeptical of Yimir's true motives. The fact that she cares about Krista seems to be her only consistent motivation at this point. The way she convinced Krista to come with R&B was very manipulative and I wonder if that story about them wanting to killing her was even true or just a lie to get Krista to come along. It's just so hard to tell what Yimir is really thinking she's so enigmatic. :P

New Reply