Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Just an other theory!

  1. #1
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Counterpuncher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Country
    Libya
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Just an other theory!

    Hi everybody. I would like to share my thoughts about the story, I hope you enjoy it. This could be a long post, but since the ideas are connected I’m posting them altogether. Just to be safe this post may contain spoilers, so please don’t read this if you’re not following the manga.

    Titan’s origin:
    What if there has been an experiment to enhance cells regeneration in order to help wounds recovery and organ’s replacement? Let’s assume someone produced a virus capable of doing that and tried it on test subjects (monkeys).This resulted in increasing in their overall mass as well as enhancing the growth of there brain cells which made them intelligent beings. However this virus had the opposite effect on the human brain cells. Now what will happen if this experiment went out of control? You will have 17 meters intelligent monkeys capable of transmitting this virus to normal humans making them brainless man eating titans. With no apparent cure the giant apes took over the planets and drove humanity to the verge of extension.

    Colonies:
    At the beginning of the story we believed that the world where Eren lives is the last human territory, but I think that’s not true. Reiner and Berthold clearly came from a different land. Same goes for Ymir and Annie. I believe that the giant apes nearly eradicated the human race but in order to prevent them from complete extension built multiple cities as huge colonies in order to confine them and let them increase in population either to use them as food source (for the giant apes not for the titans) or to turn them into servant titans. Titans are basically immortals so to raise a colony hundred years is not too long and during that time other colonies like Ymir's land were being consumed by the titans, so humans were basically raised like cattle just as Eren said in chapter 1.
    With time people forgot about the meaning of the wall (except for the king and the wall cult family which kept the secret for their selves) that explains what Reiner meant when he said that this world has no future.

    Titan shifters:
    As I mentioned before there was no known cure to this virus, however some people had natural immunity and could keep their human form (titan shifters). This immunity could be transmitted to other infected titans if they were eaten making them humans again (Ymir was a titan wondering outside the wall until she ate Berik that made her regain conscious and become human again). Actually this might be the real reason why titans devour humans despite having no need to feed. Apparently titan shifters are very rare (1 or 2 per million according to my expectation)

    Ymir:
    She was a princess or a queen of a colony south to Eren’s land, which was destroyed by the titans 60 years ago. She was turned into a titan and kept wondering outside the wall until she met Reiner’s group. After devouring Berik she regained consciousness and became a titan shifter herself. It seems she regained her human form from the time she was tuned into a titan
    .
    Warriors:
    An organization similar to soldiers in Eren’s world lived in a colony southwest to Eren’s land. They learned the truth about the walls and the giant apes. They also knew about the existence of titan shifters and decided to form a resistance army by gathering titan shifters from other colonies. They either force them to join the warriors or devour them to gain their titan shifting powers. They might be humanity’s real last stand.

    Reiner’s mission:
    With all that said I think Reiner’s mission has three objectives:
    - Finding the titan shifter in Eren’s colony
    - Locating the giant ape’s base
    - Wiping out the humans inside the colony either to prevent titans from multiplying or to destroy the giant ape’s food source

    Reiner’s group consisted of Reiner, Bertholdt, Berik, and possibly Annie. Their target was Eren’s colony. Berik was eaten by Ymir near the wall before they launched their attack on Eren’s world 5 years ago. Since all colonies were built by the giant apes they all had the same structure. By destroying the gate and letting the titans in, Reiner and Berthold were able to sneak in and managed to decrease the city population by 20% so their search for the titan shifter would be easier. They stopped their second attack when they learned about Eren being the titan shifter they were looking for, so they changed their objective to kidnaping him. Reiner told Eren in chapter 42 that he won’t kill the humans inside the wall if he joined them probably because he doesn’t want to kill anymore, but stated later in chapter 47 that he is planning to come back because he feels that Eren is not the titan shifter they were looking for, so he might wipe out the humans in Eren’s land next time.
    As to what might happen to Eren and Ymir had they been taken to Reiner’s village I think they will either be forced to join the warriors or will be devoured by them to get their titan shifting powers (Ymir mentioned something about that in chapter 47).

    Thanks for reading. If you like it, please let me know

  2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  3. #2
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Huesoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Country
    Peru
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just an other theory!

    Spoilers, read at your own risk!

    Very interesting, I like the Titan's origin part. there is a pool here:
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...ka-Big-Foot%29
    and as you can see 42% think the ape is a pure titan. I voted the contrary, I think he is a shifter, but Isayama could use your theory without a problem (if he has the ape as a pure titan in his mind). I also like the part about the warriors, I do think they are THE resistance, I don't think they are the bad guys at all. On the other hand, I disagree with human being food for the apes, it just doesn't make too much sense, they could raise cows or chicken or other animals, humans would be too dangerous to keep alive. About Reyner's mission, I completely agree, specially with this:
    "...Reiner and Berthold were able to sneak in and managed to decrease the city population by 20% so their search for the titan shifter would be easier."
    I mean, it is now clear that they infiltrate the walls looking for something, I do think that something is "the coordinate" and that the coordinate is a "shifter", that is why they kidnapped not only Eren but Ymir also (plus she attacked their town and killed their friend). Well, that's all I think. Great read.
    "Do you really think...this world has a future?"

  4. #3
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Counterpuncher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Country
    Libya
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just an other theory!

    On the other hand, I disagree with human being food for the apes, it just doesn't make too much sense, they could raise cows or chicken or other animals, humans would be too dangerous to keep alive.

    It did seem that the ape showed little interest in Mike as food... In his human form. Think about it! If an adult elephant consumes up to 300kg daily, how much would a 17m ape need alone not to mention other possible apes? No matter how much cattle they will rise it won't be enough, but what if they transformed humans into titans? It seems they can control them because they are as mindless as cattle and they can provide enough food for years don't you think?

    About Reyner's mission, I completely agree, specially with this:
    "...Reiner and Berthold were able to sneak in and managed to decrease the city population by 20% so their search for the titan shifter would be easier."
    I mean, it is now clear that they infiltrate the walls looking for something, I do think that something is "the coordinate" and that the coordinate is a "shifter", that is why they kidnapped not only Eren but Ymir also (plus she attacked their town and killed their friend). Well, that's all I think. Great read.[/QUOTE]

    An other reason for their frontal attack could be to lore Titan shifters out as it happened in their second attack. If they assumed that this country could control Titan shifters they would send it to the front lines to defend their territory and that would be a good opportunity to capture it I think.

  5. #4
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Masyaf, following the Assassin's Creed
    Country
    Albania
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just an other theory!

    Food? Titans don't need food. They are powered by solar energy.

  6. #5
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Counterpuncher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Country
    Libya
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just an other theory!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    Food? Titans don't need food. They are powered by solar energy.
    I'm talking about the giant apes. We don't know for sure if the same rules apply for them. We do know though that Titan shifters eat. Still this all built on the assumption that apes have the need to feed, so I can't be sure either

  7. #6
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    THE SCIENCEMOBILE!!
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,114
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just an other theory!

    Quote Originally Posted by Counterpuncher View Post
    *snip*
    Nicely tied together. Ever since first seeing the ape titan, I was sure the wall society is an experiment and/or breeding ground of some sort. Describes many of the other ambient thoughts I've idly experienced watching/reading, but have never been motivated enough to goop together so coherently. The only thing that immediately strikes me as off is how Grisha described the injection, something about how "their memories should help you", implying that shifting is a matter of memory and not necessary biological like a virus. Everything else is solid, but you seem to be missing on Grisha now that I think about it. Any ideas on his role/allegiance?

    I'm voting that he's a part of another faction, neither warriors nor apes. He had that super-tragic Hohenheim expression when he left home, so it must have been something he felt would affect the whole world. That time he helped the wall inhabitants from some 'plague' has always stuck out in my head, but we know nothing about it aside from the fact it happened. Just seemed like the perfect time to do some experimentin' is all.

    ---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    Food? Titans don't need food. They are powered by solar energy.
    In some way, yes. But many titans have a spectrum of reaction to light stimulus (or lack thereof). Some are just peachy at night, so they must have another power source that waxes and wanes between titans like their respective resistances to night do.

    ---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Huesoman View Post
    On the other hand, I disagree with human being food for the apes, it just doesn't make too much sense, they could raise cows or chicken or other animals, humans would be too dangerous to keep alive.
    Not useful as food source for apes? I agree. Useful as sub-cattle for herding their bigger, titanic cattle? Absolutely, at least. Their true purpose for enacting the wall societies and growing humans has to be far more nefarious than 'food'. The titans themselves are already scary for that reason- it'd be treading old ground.

  8. #7
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Masyaf, following the Assassin's Creed
    Country
    Albania
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just an other theory!

    Quote Originally Posted by Counterpuncher View Post
    I'm talking about the giant apes. We don't know for sure if the same rules apply for them. We do know though that Titan shifters eat. Still this all built on the assumption that apes have the need to feed, so I can't be sure either
    I apologize, I should've read the theory more carefully.

  9. #8
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Counterpuncher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Country
    Libya
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just an other theory!

    The only thing that immediately strikes me as off is how Grisha described the injection, something about how "their memories should help you", implying that shifting is a matter of memory and not necessary biological like a virus. Everything else is solid, but you seem to be missing on Grisha now that I think about it. Any ideas on his role/allegiance?

    I'm voting that he's a part of another faction, neither warriors nor apes. He had that super-tragic Hohenheim expression when he left home, so it must have been something he felt would affect the whole world. That time he helped the wall inhabitants from some 'plague' has always stuck out in my head, but we know nothing about it aside from the fact it happened. Just seemed like the perfect time to do some experimentin' is all.

    Unfortunately, I don't have a solid theory regarding Grisha or the content of the basement. I don't think Isayama has provided enough information regarding that, but something has been bothering me for a while. Reiner mentioned in chapter 47 that Eren might not be the coordinator they are looking for, but why? Maybe he felt that his transformation was imperfect or maybe the way he became a titan shifter was different. This is just a wild guess but it could be that Grisha injected Eren with a serum extracted from the blood of another titan shifter either dead or confined in the basement. Since Grisha saved the inhabitants from the plague in the past he could have established a good relation with the government that they would entrust him with this secret research. This is a theory with many holes in it so it's just an idea for now. The memory thing is quiet confusing as well unless Isayama means Assassin's creed type of memory where the memories are somehow encrypted in the DNA so up to now I have no idea.

    TheOwl
    Don't worry about it. It's just an idea yet to be proofed anyway.

  10. #9
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member mikasaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just an other theory!

    Quote Originally Posted by Counterpuncher View Post
    I'm voting that he's a part of another faction, neither warriors nor apes. He had that super-tragic Hohenheim expression when he left home, so it must have been something he felt would affect the whole world. That time he helped the wall inhabitants from some 'plague' has always stuck out in my head, but we know nothing about it aside from the fact it happened. Just seemed like the perfect time to do some experimentin' is all.

    (…)

    Since Grisha saved the inhabitants from the plague in the past he could have established a good relation with the government that they would entrust him with this secret research.
    Interesting… the way you talk about that plague makes me think that maybe sending shifters to break into Wall Maria wasn't the Warrior's first attempt to exterminate the humans behind the Walls. Maybe it was the plague and we've overlooked it. And when its method of 'extermination' failed, thanks to Grisha Jaeger, the Warrior faction sent RBA. So I agree that Grisha definitely isn't part of the Warrior faction and neither of the Ape Titan's faction.

    Now, 'extermination' might not be their (the Warrior faction's) goal here, but finding the "coordinate" surely is. So maybe that plague was intended to eliminate everyone who wasn't the "coordinate", thus making the search for that someone easier. Since the Warriors don't think that the humans inside the walls have a future, the death of thousands wouldn't stop them from their goal.

New Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts